1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheMulattoMaker

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Crouched down out of sight on the far side?

Whatever- no use prolonging the inevitable- I'm going to bed. Don't wanna- I know Megan's coming back as soon as I stop waiting- but... eyes... getting... heavy...

TemporaryLife

Postby TemporaryLife » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:34 am UTC

Is it just me, or does "The Past" feel like a letdown compared to this? It's such a simple strip, it almost feels blah.

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:38 am UTC

Darkfusion wrote:
slinches wrote:
Darkfusion wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:
inhalvast wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:
slinches wrote:I'm thinking this might be an interactive version of the "a watched pot never boils" concept?

Oh, absolutely. I hope to one day see the graphs of "refresh-clicks-of-comic", "refresh-clicks-of-forum", "new-posts-in-forum", etc. and see them spike ridiculously every half-hour. That and "new-member-registration" pegging out this week.

I joined just to get in on this thread, so the last comment is most likely true.

Me too. :mrgreen: I signed up about 50 hours ago, and most of that 50 hours I've been watching this thread or the comic. I think I was at work for a while, but I can't really remember.

And me too.
Just to add to the thread's post count.

Me Three. And this forum is not half bad, I think I'll stick around awhile. I've been reading the comic for years.

Alternative theory: The comic is a promotion for the forum to make up for dropping the link on the main page. (I signed up for this thread too, although I've been lurking for a while)

I could see that. Although the link I most miss from the main page is thisisindexed This is Indexed[/url]. Its the only other webcomic I read and I learned about it from xkcd yet Randall dropped it from the site some months ago.

Not long until we clog whole pages... I must say this is some of the most excitement i've had on xkcd since i found it years ago. This is topping click and drag for me. Also, hes disappeared! I hope we just get to see EVEN MORE appearing behind the castle. OR MAYBE a tunnel down like from click and drag! I LOVE THIS! (p.s. had to break url to get through)

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 am UTC

TemporaryLife wrote:Is it just me, or does "The Past" feel like a letdown compared to this? It's such a simple strip, it almost feels blah.

I think everyone is just too focused on Time to worry about The Past. And i think Randall planned that perfectly to just send us another message. Some serious zen going on here now.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:41 am UTC

Uninfinity wrote:I'd like to see this comic redone with thought bubbles from the characters echoing some of these forum posts.

Here's another one, quick:
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:44 am UTC

There's no-one there at all now. I'm just staring at the beautiful sandcastle. It feels so different after watching the activity for so long. I don't know what's going to happen next.

Way back on the first day he actually stood up while I was watching. I was ecstatic. Then about a minute later he was all the way down the hill (I didn't know it was a beach then). I hadn't refreshed my screen. Must have been latency.

I almost registered at that point because no-one else had reported the standing up scene.

However I finally had to register now to say how much I really love this comic.

I've been lurking for years, checking in three times a week, and was lucky this time to catch the first or maybe second scene, so was in from the beginning. I've followed all but five pages of this thread; very enjoyable.

Claveluza

Postby Claveluza » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:45 am UTC

I'm feeling trolled.

TheBauhausCure

Postby TheBauhausCure » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:48 am UTC

Fitzypyro wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:Is it just me, or does "The Past" feel like a letdown compared to this? It's such a simple strip, it almost feels blah.

I think everyone is just too focused on Time to worry about The Past. And i think Randall planned that perfectly to just send us another message. Some serious zen going on here now.

Whoa, man, whoa.

That...you just totally blew my mind right there.

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:48 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:
Uninfinity wrote:I'd like to see this comic redone with thought bubbles from the characters echoing some of these forum posts.

I decided to tackle the pregnancy theory, because most of the other theories are too goddamn depressing.
EDIT: These aren't thought bubbles, but I can't be bothered to go back and make them thought bubbles.

+1
Along with many other great jokes. but i dont want to spam them all.
Someone bump the .gif!

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Primis wrote:Live updating GIF:
Feel free to give me an internet for the service :D

*bump*
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:56 am UTC

TheBauhausCure wrote:
Fitzypyro wrote:

Whoa, man, whoa.

The internet doesn't convey sarcasm well, but I'm going to say that was sincere so, thanks :)
This is my favorite thing about XKCD, how easily Randall can toy with us yet enlighten us so. Despite the sheer amount of time that everyone here has been wasting on this, I'm going to guess a whole lot have so much more appreciation for it now. And I'm going to guess that was the master plan. Time is important but it can be well wasted. We have lots of it too. (clearly)
For me just seeing that first panel was immensely powerful. That they were just sitting there and letting time pass was a wonderful thing. But now its just so much more than i thought it would be (and its still going!) and its all because of everyone else out there watching and waiting.

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:58 am UTC

is it reaaaaaaly over?

Coal

Postby Coal » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Next frame has to be a heart mark coming from the larger of the castles. I'm thinking #150

ETA Doh!
Last edited by Coal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nic the Man

Postby Nic the Man » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Two consecutive identical pictures. I hope that we see something new in a minute (literally)

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:00 am UTC

IT'S NOT OVER!!!

Isaac20

Postby Isaac20 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:00 am UTC

And so it continues.

Nic the Man

Postby Nic the Man » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:01 am UTC

HE BROKE IT!

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:01 am UTC

uh oh
Attachments
9c8b0e5c90dd5b110ad625410c2e84cc4c676065dff14540e326f04e0685d958.png
9c8b0e5c90dd5b110ad625410c2e84cc4c676065dff14540e326f04e0685d958.png (4.37 KiB) Viewed 13530 times

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:02 am UTC

He's baa-ack! </Poltergeist>
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

eidako

Postby eidako » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Crissa wrote:You know something about Time?

It's linear and does not loop.

Some people would disagree.
Last edited by eidako on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:26 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:02 am UTC

did he just slip, or did he do it intentionally?

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:04 am UTC

ugmhemhe wrote:did he just slip, or did he do it intentionally?

considering he was hiding im going to guess intentionally

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 am UTC

I woke up to find the panel with the completed sand castle and no people and was genuinely sad that it was over. Then 20mins later there's an update and I'm smiling like a maniac that its still going.

She's gonna be so pissed when she comes back and he's turned it into a giant phallus.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:07 am UTC

eidako wrote:
Crissa wrote:You know something about Time?
It's linear and does not loop.

Some people would disagree.
As would a movie starring Bill Murray.

Not to mention some people who hold that it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:08 am UTC

Fitzypyro wrote:
ugmhemhe wrote:did he just slip, or did he do it intentionally?

considering he was hiding im going to guess intentionally

I think he slipped while trying to sneak out of the frame. Who would he have been hiding from if not us?

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:09 am UTC

good morning from Europe. Skimming over the night's forum thoughts ...

NoisyCartographer wrote:Guys, guys:
The comic strip is tantalizing us with its slow reveal.
We are experiencing a strip tease.

... made it.

Gosh, strip tease.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

MSTK

Postby MSTK » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:09 am UTC

did we end up cracking the hash or are we just waiting for it the slow way

yangosplat
Location: Somewhere in the gray mass of clouds that is the Pacific Northwest

Postby yangosplat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:09 am UTC

Let us all take a moment of silence for that first tower... where it all began... *cries*

But if he's going to start destroying it now, then the whole "it gets destroyed and does an infinite loop" theory might stand.
swey wrote:well when a mommy period and a daddy period fall in love, they can make whats known as a dot

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:10 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:If part of the castle collapses as he is apparently climbing out of it, it would be too amusing for words.

I can't believe I actually predicted it right :lol:
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

franko553

Postby franko553 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:14 am UTC

MSTK wrote:did we end up cracking the hash or are we just waiting for it the slow way

Not possible. The hashes for each image are being revealed by a server, not calculated by the client. The hashes are probably just random and are being used specifically to prevent people from finding images in advance of their scheduled reveal.

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:If part of the castle collapses as he is apparently climbing out of it, it would be too amusing for words.

I bet Randall, is following this thread LOL

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 am UTC

franko553 wrote:
MSTK wrote:did we end up cracking the hash or are we just waiting for it the slow way

Not possible. The hashes for each image are being revealed by a server, not calculated by the client. The hashes are probably just random and are being used specifically to prevent people from finding images in advance of their scheduled reveal.

If someone were clever enough to figure out what the next hash would be by examining the hashes from the previous images, there is a possibility of being able to reveal the rest of the images, however, I personally hope it remains a mystery.
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 am UTC

ugmhemhe wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:

I bet Randall, is following this thread LOL

I bet Randall is asleep....
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

TheBauhausCure

Postby TheBauhausCure » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 am UTC

Fitzypyro wrote:
TheBauhausCure wrote:
Fitzypyro wrote:

Whoa, man, whoa.

The internet doesn't convey sarcasm well, but I'm going to say that was sincere so, thanks :)
This is my favorite thing about XKCD, how easily Randall can toy with us yet enlighten us so. Despite the sheer amount of time that everyone here has been wasting on this, I'm going to guess a whole lot have so much more appreciation for it now. And I'm going to guess that was the master plan. Time is important but it can be well wasted. We have lots of it too. (clearly)
For me just seeing that first panel was immensely powerful. That they were just sitting there and letting time pass was a wonderful thing. But now its just so much more than i thought it would be (and its still going!) and its all because of everyone else out there watching and waiting.

I wasn't being sarcastic, sorry if it seemed that way! I'll admit, I've been lacking sleep the past few days over this comic, but you just made me sit for a few minutes and think hard about life.

franko553

Postby franko553 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:If someone were clever enough to figure out what the next hash would be by examining the hashes from the previous images, there is a possibility of being able to reveal the rest of the images, however, I personally hope it remains a mystery.

There is no reason to believe that there is a pattern. The "hashes" are 64 character strings of hex digits. Either they are hashes of some plaintext which could be identified and used to predict future image names or they are just randomly generated 64 character strings of hex digits. The latter seams much more likely to me.

On could, in theory, try all 115.8 quattuorvigintillion such strings and find all so named images on the xkcd server, but that will take more time than, well, there is.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 am UTC

franko553 wrote:

The hashes are probably NOT random, but if Randall decided to make it impossible for us to guess the sequence, it's very easy for him to do so. It could be the sha256 hash for correcthorsebatterystaple_1, then correcthorsebatterystaple_2, etc.

Darkfusion

Postby Darkfusion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 am UTC

Black Hat Guy

Postby Black Hat Guy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:33 am UTC

Huh. Some say that he did it, but to me it seems like some one (Black Hat?) used a cannon or other propulsion device to launch him into the castle, breaking his bones and effectively immobilizing him, rendering him a useless pile. Then the girl will return to find him dead... or take him the the hospital, whatever. Or she'll just torture him to death for breaking the sandcastle.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.

sqrdsqr

Postby sqrdsqr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:34 am UTC

"You don't think people use the forum enough? Bet you a hundred I can change that..."

Seems like a legit reason for him doing this. Though all of the other deep thought stuff isn't half bad either, but in my experience not everything starts with deep thought as a reason for its existence.

And I really hope this isn't something related to his relationship or cancer baby's or what not, unless the girl comes back and it has a happy ending. Then it can be about real life.

edenist

Postby edenist » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 am UTC

edenist wrote:Though who knows how far into the future this will be updating sporadically. We may have to write a script that constantly watches the hash of the image, then posts an alert when it changes :p [shouldn't be too hard now that I think about it...]

Ok, so I went ahead and wrote one up if anyone wants to run it! [Have your speakers turned on too if you want some audio notification as well! :p ]

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

URL="http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png"

CURRENT=$(wget -q -O- $URL | md5sum | awk '{print $1}')

echo "Current hash is: $CURRENT"

while true
  do
    NEW=$(wget -q -O- $URL | md5sum | awk '{print $1}')
    if [ "$NEW" != "$CURRENT" ]; then
      echo "NEW IMAGE!!!"
      $(echo "main(t){for(t=0;;++t)putchar(  (int)sin(t>>16)|(t|t>>8)  );}"|gcc -w -xc -lm -&&./a.out|aplay -r 32000)
    fi
  sleep 300
done

Who knows how long I'm going to have to keep this running for now, even after we think it has "ended" :-D

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”