1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fitzypyro

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:39 am UTC

TheBauhausCure wrote:
Fitzypyro wrote:
TheBauhausCure wrote:
Fitzypyro wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:Is it just me, or does "The Past" feel like a letdown compared to this? It's such a simple strip, it almost feels blah.

I think everyone is just too focused on Time to worry about The Past. And i think Randall planned that perfectly to just send us another message. Some serious zen going on here now.

Whoa, man, whoa.

That...you just totally blew my mind right there.

The internet doesn't convey sarcasm well, but I'm going to say that was sincere so, thanks :)
This is my favorite thing about XKCD, how easily Randall can toy with us yet enlighten us so. Despite the sheer amount of time that everyone here has been wasting on this, I'm going to guess a whole lot have so much more appreciation for it now. And I'm going to guess that was the master plan. Time is important but it can be well wasted. We have lots of it too. (clearly)
For me just seeing that first panel was immensely powerful. That they were just sitting there and letting time pass was a wonderful thing. But now its just so much more than i thought it would be (and its still going!) and its all because of everyone else out there watching and waiting.

I wasn't being sarcastic, sorry if it seemed that way! I'll admit, I've been lacking sleep the past few days over this comic, but you just made me sit for a few minutes and think hard about life.

Nono don't worry I didn't think you were being sarcastic. It was just that tiny doubtful voice in the back of my head being silly. I know how you feel about missing sleep, this has been absorbing my life up heaps and heaps. Just more time to contemplate really :D And thank you for your kind words! Good to know I'm not rambling to empty space.
Also I see that the hashers are back! keep up the hashing talk! its very interesting for someone with no knowledge of it.
Can i get a *bump*? You will gets an internet

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:49 am UTC

I can imagine the guy breaking the 4th wall saying "Hey, sorry, but this strip went on for so long and I got even less sleep than you! And I did not just watch!".
Ehr. Too much complaining for that guy. So maybe it will be narrowed down to "Oops, sorry.".
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

MSTK

Postby MSTK » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:52 am UTC

franko553 wrote:
MSTK wrote:did we end up cracking the hash or are we just waiting for it the slow way

Not possible. The hashes for each image are being revealed by a server, not calculated by the client. The hashes are probably just random and are being used specifically to prevent people from finding images in advance of their scheduled reveal.

by cracking, i mean figuring out the pattern of the text he is hashing...like trying out all possible sequences of numbers or something. if he wants us to know. if he doesn't want us to know (with some salt or something, or a non-trivial pattern), then we are sol

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:57 am UTC

The previous from current frame*, I believe, shows him elbowing his way out of the inside of the castle. It must have been on purpose to destroy it. Maybe just part of it. We'll see.

*[sorry, can't figure out a more cogent way to say it]

davidy22 wrote:RANDALL.

PLEASE.

STOP.

THE WIKI SERVER IS DYING.

HAVE MERCY.

I was planning to just read the updates on the wiki...and was forced to come here to have any chance at reading something besides a 503 error page. :( Still looking forward to see the summation @ ExplainXKCD when it's over....if...

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 am UTC

She's off getting a whole lot of playpen balls!
To have a bath in the courtyard, of course!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:02 am UTC

Just wanted to say thanks to all those staying up keeping an eye on the progress. Of course, thanks most to the machines that are running/ruining? our lives. lol.

*Homophonic edit
Last edited by azule on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yangosplat
Location: Somewhere in the gray mass of clouds that is the Pacific Northwest

Postby yangosplat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:02 am UTC

I can't post images yet, but new frame! Beat me to it, anyway!

Is it just me or does he look like he's eating the sand...?
swey wrote:well when a mommy period and a daddy period fall in love, they can make whats known as a dot

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 am UTC

Looks like maybe he got sand on or in his mouth when he fell and is wiping it off now, maybe?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 am UTC

He looks to be brushing sand off of himself, I bet he fell by accident, poor guy. Next 3 hours is him fixing it, maybe the girl comes back sometime while that's happening
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:05 am UTC

I'm surprised nobody has said it yet, but it looks like he's constructing a ramp. Early on, when the guy disappeared, somebody predicted he was going to reappear doing a stunt of some kind over the (smaller) castle. I predict that now, but for the girl.

EDIT: On reviewing all the panels I missed while I was asleep, I think that it looks more like he fell by mistake and broke the castle, as most people seem to think. Until now, Randall's done a very good job of making his stick figures pretty unambiguous, but it's not entirely clear what happened there. Maybe we'll find out whether it was accidental, or maybe we'll never know.
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Looks like maybe he got sand on or in his mouth when he fell and is wiping it off now, maybe?

Yeah, just brushing sand off his face/head.

p.s. I finally beat someone at posting the image. "Now you can go to bed, you dork!" :oops:

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 am UTC

Why do I feel empathy for some black pixels?

I'm think there is something going on off screen. why else have they both left at different times? It's not like he came back with Beer or Ice Cream.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 am UTC

It seems like there's been a considerable decline in traffic the last 10 odd updates. I'm guessing our American friends finally gave in and went to sleep?
I really hope this thread makes it to #1. I wonder if cueball will fix what he fell on or just wait until Megan gets back? Or there's always the feathered velciraptors, waves, lions or hat guy.

eidako

Postby eidako » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:25 am UTC

Another epileptic tree:
BHG will build a time machine in 1192, then appear in 1190 to steal their oil. Some type of causality error will ensue, corrupting xkcd.com and leading into this year's ||||-| gimmick.

Blackbird O'Malley

Postby Blackbird O'Malley » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:28 am UTC

I've been reading xkcd for about eight years now, but I also joined the forum just for this thread. Actually, I only sought out the forums for the first time Monday night just to figure out what the hell was going on with this comic. Now I'm just saying hi to help pad the post count.

Three more minutes until a new image comes down.

franko553

Postby franko553 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 am UTC

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 am UTC

franko553 wrote:Image

"Whoops"

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 am UTC

First thing that came to mind....

I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

Hermesdfo

Postby Hermesdfo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:39 am UTC

Oh, God, it won't stop.

It has become eternal and self-conscious, outside of Munroe's control. It won't stop until we pull the plug on the internet. Or the Roomba does it for us.

Oh, and as far as collateral damage goes, I didn't sleep the first night, missed stuff to do along these days and probably won't sleep tonight. Dandall, you have successfully crashed both servers and persons. And I can't be mad at you.

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 am UTC

I'm back. Poor guy worked so hard on that sandcastle, only for his own clumsiness to destroy it. Now, will he rebuild, or will he call it a day and leave? Time... will tell.

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:43 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:First thing that came to mind....

Oh that just made my day (evening) :D
Hermesdfo wrote:Oh, God, it won't stop.

It has become eternal and self-conscious, outside of Munroe's control. It won't stop until we pull the plug on the internet. Or the Roomba does it for us.

Oh, and as far as collateral damage goes, I didn't sleep the first night, missed stuff to do along these days and probably won't sleep tonight. Dandall, you have successfully crashed both servers and persons. And I can't be mad at you.

I totally agree. Yet I was fortunate enough to not have to much on my plate that I couldn't scramble something together last minute.

franko553

Postby franko553 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 am UTC

franko553

Postby franko553 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 am UTC

He's rebuilding!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 am UTC

We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

yangosplat

Postby yangosplat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:05 am UTC

He appears to be rebuilding. And so the thread continues...

Hermesdfo wrote:Oh, God, it won't stop.

So Monday morning I woke up, hoping to get some work done, but decided just to go check for the newest xkcd comic - it was Monday, after all.
Half an hour, some confusion, endless hypothesizing, several 500 errors on explainxkcd, and absolutely no work later, I ended up on this thread, and here I have stayed.
I mean, I think I might have gone to school? And slept at some point? But besides that... WHY IS THIS SO TIME-CONSUMING.
swey wrote:well when a mommy period and a daddy period fall in love, they can make whats known as a dot

velkito

Postby velkito » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 am UTC

curtis95112 wrote:
dalcde wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:Just a side note: Is this the largest comic thread this forum has seen? I went and looked to see how big Click And Drag was, but the comment number for that has already been outdone.

It's kinda interesting to read people watching this unfold. Maybe there is no real end game, and it's a tiny social experiment, in which Randall Munroe watches to see how people react to incredibly minor changes in things, when they believe there is a substantial outcome at the end of those changes?

I would be okay with that.

Sort by "replies" on forum page. Time comes eigth with 678 replies (at this moment). "Pickup Artist"'s got 2030. So good luck :)

EDIT: "Pickup Artist" had a flame war going on as far as I know (I didn't read through all 2030 posts :). Locked now.

The "Pressures" thread was legendary.

Can anyone please post a link to this thread? Now I'm really curious :)

Also, good grief, 16 pages of comments while I was sleeping, how am I gonna read them all at work?? :P

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 am UTC

Randall has successfully made xx:15 and xx:45 the most depressing moments of the hour.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:First thing that came to mind....

Good Call. (YAY EXCITEMENT IN HALF HOURLY INCREMENTS)
this could definitely be a social experiment.

ggrohmann

"Tickin' away -"

Postby ggrohmann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:17 am UTC

"that moments that make up a dull day." This comic so wants me going to the beach again. But its -1°C there and everything is frozen. See: Image

Now I'm jealous to some stick-people :(

Greetings from germany,
Guido

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:Randall has successfully made xx:15 and xx:45 the most depressing moments of the hour.

So true!
But then again...
For me the last xx:15 gave me a moment to register to the forum :)

franko553

Postby franko553 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:33 am UTC

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:35 am UTC

Has everyone gone to bed?

yangosplat

Postby yangosplat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 am UTC

Pretty much everyone has, yeah. But there are still a few stragglers around.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:39 am UTC

actually I just got up :(

Sighclops

Postby Sighclops » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:39 am UTC

Wearing my XKCD tie today just in honor of this.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:40 am UTC

The UK is awake again now though, so there's presumably some English speaking posters left on here.

This comic would be less frustrating if there was continuous forward progress. With the speed of the updates, any damage to the castle is truly annoying. And that's presumably part of the point. It's beautiful in spite of that (and partly BECAUSE of that).

At least this rebuild clarifies that the destruction was accidental. I'm still hoping for something new and a bit different, after this reconstruction is complete.
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:44 am UTC

Yep, it's now 9.40 in the UK, I'm having a manic day at work, but taking time every 30 minutes to check what our friend(s) are doing.
It's amazing how it is possible toget emotionally invested in 2 stick figures.

higgs-boson

Re: "Tickin' away -"

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:44 am UTC

ggrohmann wrote:"that moments that make up a dull day." This comic so wants me going to the beach again. But its -1°C there and everything is frozen.

What are you waiting for? Go! Build a sand castle, provide updates on your blog every 30 minutes. Take your girl-friend with you.
And of course, deciding that the water is too cold for taking a quick bath is in the script, too. :D

-1°C is good weather for building sand castles. You don't sweat easily and wet sand could freeze solid* for additional stability.

*Actually, salty water would not freeze at -1°C. But I liked the thought.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:45 am UTC

I've just got to work and am ready for a day of hardcore waiting.

Plus, I've got xkcd always-on-top now with OnTopReplica (http://ontopreplica.codeplex.com/) loaded up so I can always see the comic! (example attached) :twisted:
Attachments
screenshot.png
Always. On. Top.

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:The UK is awake again now though, so there's presumably some English speaking posters left on here.

This comic would be less frustrating if there was continuous forward progress. With the speed of the updates, any damage to the castle is truly annoying. And that's presumably part of the point. It's beautiful in spite of that (and partly BECAUSE of that).

At least this rebuild clarifies that the destruction was accidental. I'm still hoping for something new and a bit different, after this reconstruction is complete.

I know. I feel I can't settle to anything until the damage to the castle is repaired.

UK poster.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”