1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mittfh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mittfh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 am UTC

I've just discovered the forums after searching the net for references to this particular comic. I first loaded it yesterday morning and wondered what was going on, then wondered if perhaps it was an animation with a really slow framerate (clued in by the tooltip) so left it up, checked back occasionally, and discovered it was progressing (albeit very slowly). So searching lead me somewhere else which lead me here (together with someone's nifty auto-update animated GIF showing the story so far).

As others earlier have said, it's a great strategy to lure people here :D Incidentally, the Javascript code appears to have stabilised at time07, while it looks as though the castle damage might be repaired by the time the girl (Megan?) returns. It'll be interesting to see if the tide rises (make it a pixel higher each frame / every other frame and it'll probably take us a few hours to work it out!) or if it's being built on a lakeshore...

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 am UTC

Its great to see what people will do just to keep up to date with this. Its great to actually just see people bothering to keep up with this in the first place!
Over here in Australia is 10 to 9 so the few of us on here will probably be gone soon (if only for a few hours) I cant wait to see him slowly rebuild the castle. The patience and "wait for it" makes each update so much more rewarding than it could possibly be otherwise (I think Randall figured out that he wouldn't have our attention with hourly increments). I'm Happy to say that I have a very empty day tomorrow which means I should only miss those half hours I take to sleep.
Also if anyone would be so kind as to direct me to a Apple-friendly way of keeping auto updated/reminded on the half hour that would be fantastic. :)

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 am UTC

Oh, please let the tide not come in right after he finishes repairing the castle!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 am UTC

FayZee wrote:
mojacardave wrote:The UK is awake again now though, so there's presumably some English speaking posters left on here.

This comic would be less frustrating if there was continuous forward progress. With the speed of the updates, any damage to the castle is truly annoying. And that's presumably part of the point. It's beautiful in spite of that (and partly BECAUSE of that).

At least this rebuild clarifies that the destruction was accidental. I'm still hoping for something new and a bit different, after this reconstruction is complete.

I know. I feel I can't settle to anything until the damage to the castle is repaired.

UK poster.

That's the REAL problem with following this comic. You're always waiting to see if something new and more exciting happens. There's always the feeling that the next image could start 'the action', or could have some vital clue as to where this is all going, but only getting one frame at a time is never conclusive enough. Until we actually get an unambiguous final frame, or a loop, it's going to be quite hard to tear ourselves away. Each new frame COULD be vital, but so far only one or two frames have actually been truly 'worth the wait' (the disappearances and reappearances).

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 am UTC

Primis wrote:Live updating GIF:
Feel free to give me an internet for the service :D

*buuump*

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:
FayZee wrote:
mojacardave wrote:The UK is awake again now though, so there's presumably some English speaking posters left on here.

This comic would be less frustrating if there was continuous forward progress. With the speed of the updates, any damage to the castle is truly annoying. And that's presumably part of the point. It's beautiful in spite of that (and partly BECAUSE of that).

At least this rebuild clarifies that the destruction was accidental. I'm still hoping for something new and a bit different, after this reconstruction is complete.

I know. I feel I can't settle to anything until the damage to the castle is repaired.

UK poster.

That's the REAL problem with following this comic. You're always waiting to see if something new and more exciting happens. There's always the feeling that the next image could start 'the action', or could have some vital clue as to where this is all going, but only getting one frame at a time is never conclusive enough. Until we actually get an unambiguous final frame, or a loop, it's going to be quite hard to tear ourselves away. Each new frame COULD be vital, but so far only one or two frames have actually been truly 'worth the wait' (the disappearances and reappearances).

And that seems to be the precise formula to keep us addicted. The sense of anticipation and discovery that the next one MIGHT be that much more different. Still, I am content to just sit here and watch him slowly rebuild the castle. As we shall surely see more of in the next few minutes.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:02 am UTC

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 am UTC

Beidah wrote:Has everyone gone to bed?

I know I said I was going to but I'm still up, dang it. Randal, Get Out Of My Bed.
Last edited by Uninfinity on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Magnap

Postby Magnap » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:04 am UTC

Ooh, reparation is being done!

EDIT: Ninja'd!
Last edited by Magnap on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 am UTC

At least he's building from the top down now - he's not going to accidentally destroy his creation trying to escape from it this time.

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 am UTC

I've got a feeling we're going to be here for a looong time to come...
I wait for it, therefore I am.

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 am UTC

I'm kind of hoping there isn't a "payoff" that you guys seem to want. The way I see it, this comic is a lot like life. There's no real plot in life. Things aren't being pushed forward constantly by the narrative. Things tend to happen day-by-day, one moment at a time. Somethings build up to something, whist others just sort of happen and then are forgotten later. Days at the beach are nice, and are remembered fondly, but usually it's just sort of vague and generic.

"Hey, remember that day we went to the beach, chilled out in the sun for awhile and built that huge sandcastle? That was pretty fun."

That's it. Not really a story, just a nice memory. That's what I'm hoping this comic is, cause hanging out on the forums with you guys watching it has already started to become that. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:10 am UTC

Beidah wrote:I'm kind of hoping there isn't a "payoff" that you guys seem to want. The way I see it, this comic is a lot like life. There's no real plot in life. Things aren't being pushed forward constantly by the narrative. Things tend to happen day-by-day, one moment at a time. Somethings build up to something, whist others just sort of happen and then are forgotten later. Days at the beach are nice, and are remembered fondly, but usually it's just sort of vague and generic.

"Hey, remember that day we went to the beach, chilled out in the sun for awhile and built that huge sandcastle? That was pretty fun."

That's it. Not really a story, just a nice memory. That's what I'm hoping this comic is, cause hanging out on the forums with you guys watching it has already started to become that. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

+1
I totally agree. I think Randall has been telling us something along those lines from the start.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 am UTC

Fitzypyro wrote:
Beidah wrote:I'm kind of hoping there isn't a "payoff" that you guys seem to want. The way I see it, this comic is a lot like life. There's no real plot in life. Things aren't being pushed forward constantly by the narrative. Things tend to happen day-by-day, one moment at a time. Somethings build up to something, whist others just sort of happen and then are forgotten later. Days at the beach are nice, and are remembered fondly, but usually it's just sort of vague and generic.

+1
I totally agree. I think Randall has been telling us something along those lines from the start.

While I agree that like life it probably is just a random story with no real plot other than building sand castles, Like life I'm still hoping when it ends there will be a payoff such as a big screen that says "Level One Complete"
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

bmuenzer
Location: On the Internet (where nobody knows you're an animagus)

Postby bmuenzer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 am UTC

bugstomper wrote:Oh, please let the tide not come in right after he finishes repairing the castle!

The sea water level has not changed by even a pixel since frame one.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:15 am UTC

Fitzypyro wrote:

+1

Yes, I do agree with this, in spite of my comments. What I'm really waiting for is the next 'phase' of the story. It doesn't need to be dramatic: I've invested about all the time I capable of investing in the building and rebuilding. If the story IS going to extend beyond today, I'm hoping it's going to develop beyond the very slow construction of a giant sandcastle.

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:17 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Fitzypyro wrote:

+1

Yes, I do agree with this, in spite of my comments. What I'm really waiting for is the next 'phase' of the story. It doesn't need to be dramatic: I've invested about all the time I capable of investing in the building and rebuilding. If the story IS going to extend beyond today, I'm hoping it's going to develop beyond the very slow construction of a giant sandcastle.

I'm hoping the girl comes back. I've starting empathizing with this quite stick figure, and I know if I was in a similar situation, I'd want the girl to come back.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 am UTC

Beidah wrote:I'm hoping the girl comes back. I've starting empathizing with this quite stick figure, and I know if I was in a similar situation, I'd want the girl to come back.

Agreed, sandcastle construction, or going to the beach in general really, isn't normally a solitary pursuit.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 am UTC

bmuenzer wrote:
bugstomper wrote:Oh, please let the tide not come in right after he finishes repairing the castle!

The sea water level has not changed by even a pixel since frame one.

That may be - on the other hand, there's a full upper half of the frame that has not been used at all so far. If that's not a Checkov's Gun...

So - balloons? Flying fish? Sandcastle of Babel? Pterodactyls? What should we expect there...?

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 am UTC

time-i-waited-for-it.jpg
Share the shared experience!

I feel tempted.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

sqrdsqr

Postby sqrdsqr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:30 am UTC

Well, it's 320 ish where I am in America and I think it's time for me to sign off, though I'm probably not the last American on here. Was nice checking the picks every half hour but alas I need sleep. I can't wait to get up in the morning and see all the progress and hopefully it doesn't end in the mean time.

Good night/morning/afternoon, depending on time zone

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:32 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
Fitzypyro wrote:

+1

While I agree that like life it probably is just a random story with no real plot other than building sand castles, Like life I'm still hoping when it ends there will be a payoff such as a big screen that says "Level One Complete"

Definitely +1. That's a great afterlife theory if I ever saw one

mojacardave wrote:Yes, I do agree with this, in spite of my comments. What I'm really waiting for is the next 'phase' of the story. It doesn't need to be dramatic: I've invested about all the time I capable of investing in the building and rebuilding. If the story IS going to extend beyond today, I'm hoping it's going to develop beyond the very slow construction of a giant sandcastle.

I'm with you on that one. It would be great to see it evolve, but knowing Randall it might just end soon with something very meaningful. I think when it ends, we will find some form of fantastic finisher. Be it meta or just raptors.
Or:
Wooloomooloo wrote:That may be - on the other hand, there's a full upper half of the frame that has not been used at all so far. If that's not a Checkov's Gun...

So - balloons? Flying fish? Sandcastle of Babel? Pterodactyls? What should we expect there...?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
time-i-waited-for-it.jpg

I feel tempted.

That's premature. Particularly the end date. This comic may not turn out to be something you can really wait through.
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:34 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
time-i-waited-for-it.jpg

I feel tempted.

I'd buy it. But agreeing with the post above, it put in just 2013-03-25 -
Or something
Last edited by Fitzypyro on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Magnap

Postby Magnap » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:34 am UTC

Aaand he's done. Or maybe just wondering which part to repair next?
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

Kename Fin

Postby Kename Fin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:35 am UTC

Is he wondering which part to fix next or how long he can put it off til she gets back to help?

When he fell the first thought that came into my mind was, "Go Go Godzilla!"

Edit: Oh, and I would buy the t-shirt. :D
Last edited by Kename Fin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Beatrice The Golden

Postby Beatrice The Golden » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:36 am UTC

He's halfway done. I guess the girl will catch him mid-repairs and will help him out.
Humans view problems differently depending on whether or not they are guaranteed to be solvable

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 am UTC

I bet hes just taking a pause. Maybe hes thinking of building that bit bigger and better that it was before. Maybe hes just quietly contemplating the loss of the original turret *hat tip to whoever it was that suggested that first*

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 am UTC

The lefternmost turret was slightly damaged by his fall too. This repair is going to take most of my working day. Good job I'm not too busy at the moment!

TemporaryLife

Postby TemporaryLife » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 am UTC

Quick curiosity: would this continue to update without an internet connection?

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 am UTC

TemporaryLife wrote:Quick curiosity: would this continue to update without an internet connection?

No, it needs to connect to the server to get the next image.

Black Hat Guy

Postby Black Hat Guy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 am UTC

No, he's repairing the ledge. It's just because that that part is directly under his head that he looks like he's idle.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:42 am UTC

Beidah wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:Quick curiosity: would this continue to update without an internet connection?

If you had no internet connection? Yes it would still update. You just have to find a connection to see it.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:45 am UTC

So we're going to find out at the end that this is a giant Ian Van Dahl reference and the girl's just building castles with this guy.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:45 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Beidah wrote:

If you had no internet connection? Yes it would still update. You just have to find a connection to see it.

Dry humour at its finest...

As far as whether it would continue to update if Randall lost his connection: the jury is out. It's possible that he's uploading images manually/automatically in blocks, or one at a time. Or maybe the entire timeline is already online, behind the obfuscated URLs.

waidh

Postby waidh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:46 am UTC

velkito wrote:
curtis95112 wrote:The "Pressures" thread was legendary.

Can anyone please post a link to this thread? Now I'm really curious :)

Also, good grief, 16 pages of comments while I was sleeping, how am I gonna read them all at work?? :P

It started as the comic thread: 1067: "Pressures" and after months the 100+ pages of relativity discussion/madness were split off to: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"] where it continued to grow to 129 pages before it was finally locked.

tastony

Postby tastony » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:50 am UTC

I think it would be wonderful if this went on for weeks but eventually the beach is left empty except for two people lying on the sand. No beginning, and no end...
I waited.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:52 am UTC

waidh wrote:split off to: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"] where it continued to grow to 129 pages before it was finally locked.

...or pressure sealed, if you will.

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:00 am UTC

KarMann wrote:We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.

this made me laugh my ass off

Magnap

Postby Magnap » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:07 am UTC

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”