1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MarcianTobay

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby MarcianTobay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:09 am UTC

... I made a forum account just to post that there was a new picture. In the time it took me to do so, you updated it.

:( Another day, maybe.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:10 am UTC

ugmhemhe wrote:
KarMann wrote:We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.
this made me laugh my ass off

Now that it comes to my attention again, I realize there's another level to that which never even crossed my mind when I posted it. I was just thinking of "faster" in the sense that the Six Million Dollar Man was faster, i.e. the sand castle's going to move at 0 m/s* no matter what. But now, I realize it could also be taken as the speed at which it's rebuilt, much more relevant to the theme of the comic.

* Relative to the beach, of course. And no, I'm not going to convert to mph for my fellow Americans; you're on your own.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

squonk

Postby squonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 am UTC

tastony wrote:I think it would be wonderful if this went on for weeks but eventually the beach is left empty except for two people lying on the sand. No beginning, and no end...

And then, over months and years, it slowly decays into two skeletons lying on the sand.

benjaminswill

Postby benjaminswill » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:21 am UTC

Just up on the east coast...

Pumped to see both a new comic and this one updating - due to the title "The Past" and the open-ened "hmmm..." I have to believe they're connected, and it feels very much like we could be headed for an April Fool's Day collision.

Originally I thought when he destroyed part of the castle it was on purpose, like he had been considering some design changes while at the top there and is now implementing them - though it looks like it's much the same as he rebuilds it - we'll see!

r34ver

Postby r34ver » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:22 am UTC

Another lurker converted...

Has anyone yet gone so far as to set up a separate monitor to view the progression of "Time". I like to imagine that this will go on for some time, necessitating the conversion of wireless lcd picture frames so that we can check in on how the castle is doing.

The amount of effort, like click and drag is staggering. Can't wait to see how it pans out (if it ever does!)

MikeLip

Postby MikeLip » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:28 am UTC

The most interesting thing about this has been the reaction on the forums. It's fascinating to see how engrossed people are. Touching somehow.

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 am UTC

Hello, folks--this has been terribly fun to follow.

I just had a thought: in the earliest frames, Megan was shaking sand out of her hair. I wonder if the new material in the loop concludes with them being in the castle when it is eventually overcome by water, depositing them on the beach, slightly stunned, the water rippling ever so slightly to give a parting shot. Randall then goes down to the water, after a minute, to test that it's done with its destruction. She shakes out the sand that was in her hair. They consult, and decide to build another castle.

I was about to end this post with "I can't wait to see how things unfold!", then realised how ironic those first three words would be.

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 am UTC

AussieJono

Postby AussieJono » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 am UTC

New user here.

I've just done a quick count on aubronwood's page, and Megan has now been gone for longer than the guy was by one frame. That said, she achieved a lot more in his absence than he has during hers, so in the internal chronology maybe she hasn't been gone for that long.

Also, in yesterday's what if towards the end Randall wrote "So that was a waste of a few centuries of work and billions upon billions of dollars." Just wondering how many man-hours collectively have been lost to people who have followed this comic and thread right through. I started reading back on page 1 and am now into my third day of not making meaningful progress on my PhD.

Oracle

Postby Oracle » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:31 am UTC

benjaminswill wrote:Just up on the east coast...

I have to believe they're connected, and it feels very much like we could be headed for an April Fool's Day collision.

I really wish you hadn't suggested this was going to continue until April Fool's Day. That could end up getting even more of us fired for delinquency. I am already sleep deprived enough that it is going to show today, I am sure. Oh well.
"Get the facts first. You can distort them later."
-Mark Twain

Magnap

Postby Magnap » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:31 am UTC

ugmhemhe wrote:Image

What's he doing? Making the upper part of the wall?
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 am UTC

benjaminswill wrote:Originally I thought when he destroyed part of the castle it was on purpose

To keep us in suspense, of course.
Razzle Storm wrote:Used to be Christian, then I read the Bible.

elec1cele

Postby elec1cele » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 am UTC

benjaminswill wrote:Just up on the east coast...

Pumped to see both a new comic and this one updating - due to the title "The Past" and the open-ened "hmmm..." I have to believe they're connected, and it feels very much like we could be headed for an April Fool's Day collision.

Originally I thought when he destroyed part of the castle it was on purpose, like he had been considering some design changes while at the top there and is now implementing them - though it looks like it's much the same as he rebuilds it - we'll see!

I quite agree, that is what i thought when i originally saw the frames. He looks to both sides and is dissatisfied(I think cause it is asymmetric) and decides to try and fix it.

Isaac20

Postby Isaac20 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:33 am UTC

benjaminswill wrote:Originally I thought when he destroyed part of the castle it was on purpose, like he had been considering some design changes while at the top there and is now implementing them - though it looks like it's much the same as he rebuilds it - we'll see!

It does look like he is re-building the wall higher than it was before.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 am UTC

Isaac20 wrote:
benjaminswill wrote:Originally I thought when he destroyed part of the castle it was on purpose, like he had been considering some design changes while at the top there and is now implementing them - though it looks like it's much the same as he rebuilds it - we'll see!

If you look back at the collapse, it does look like he fell in a heap and then spat sand out of his mouth, so I don't think it was a purposeful demolition, but he seems to be rebuilding the wall at the height of the old turret. Maybe he was bored with rebuilding it exactly the same.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 am UTC

Scanning through this thread, I feel like I'm watching Lost again. Well, no, I'm not; you guys are. I'm not going to be fooled again.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:39 am UTC

Isaac20 wrote:

Yeah at first I thought we might reagain that part of the castle, but at this point I think he's just stalin.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:43 am UTC

I'm pretty sure that this comic will cause someone to finally build a time machine just to skip ahead and see how this one ends, then come back to tell us. With a spoiler alert, of course.
It's about time.

squonk

Postby squonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:45 am UTC

Eliram wrote:I'm pretty sure that this comic will cause someone to finally build a time machine just to skip ahead and see how this one ends, then come back to tell us. With a spoiler alert, of course.

My time machine is still in beta, but it will take you an hour into the future in only 60 minutes.

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:48 am UTC

squonk wrote:
Eliram wrote:I'm pretty sure that this comic will cause someone to finally build a time machine just to skip ahead and see how this one ends, then come back to tell us. With a spoiler alert, of course.

My time machine is still in beta, but it will take you an hour into the future in only 60 minutes.

wow that's great! please contact me if you manage to make it go forward a day in time in as little as 24 hours :P

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:50 am UTC

squonk wrote:

All of the engineers will use these time machines to see the end of this comic. No technological progress will happen in that timeframe.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

Postby 314159 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:50 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Isaac20 wrote:

Yeah at first I thought we might reagain that part of the castle, but at this point I think he's just stalin.

He's Stalin? That really would be a dark turn.

Ardaglash

Postby Ardaglash » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 am UTC

"Long time listener, first time caller"... I'm surprised that no one has yet brought up 'Waiting for Godot'. It was one of the first things I thought of when I saw the alt-text, and as Time has elapsed and this thread has passed through various stages of absurd, morbid, off-topic, lighthearted, and so forth, I feel like Randall has constructed a piece of performance art with all of us included as integral players.

Meanwhile, beyond the folks who have been following and participating in this thread I wonder how many casual XKCD readers opened a new tab, saw one frame of Time, thought "ok, I don't get this one", closed the tab, and have been going on with their lives otherwise unaware? Or how many realize it's autoupdating, but are content to just peek in periodically and see one of the new frames - yet otherwise have not sought out missed frames, haven't gone to explainxkcd, haven't looked in the forums? There are vastly different levels of obsessiveness at work here. :)

DerPeser

Postby DerPeser » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 am UTC

Crissa wrote:You know something about Time?

It's linear and does not loop.

-Crissa

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to affect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it is more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey ... stuff!
- The Doctor

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 am UTC

314159 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Isaac20 wrote:

He's Stalin? That really would be a dark turn.

Yeah but if that's the way he wants it, then soviet.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 am UTC

I wonder how long before the first obsessive fan posts a live-action reenactment of xkcd#1190 on Youtube...

– Michael
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 am UTC

Why is this so distracting? It's not like the posts are randomly timed. The gaps are predictably uniform, so why don't I do stuff in the 25 minute window I ought to have between checking forum reactions to the new images? There's something wrong with my brain.

PS:
ugmhemhe: Your signature makes me slightly uncomfortable about viewing this forum at work.

squonk

Postby squonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 am UTC

ugmhemhe: Your signature makes me slightly uncomfortable about viewing this forum at work.

You should be uncomfortable about viewing this forum at work! :P
Last edited by squonk on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:58 am UTC

Magnap wrote:What's he doing? Making the upper part of the wall?

I thought he was standing with his hands on his hips thinking what to do next.

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:ugmhemhe: Your signature makes me slightly uncomfortable about viewing this forum at work.

i think it's one of the better i've seen so far :)

srsly mojacardave: where are you workin' where that skirt's a problem?

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

squonk wrote:

You should be uncomfortable about viewing this forum at work! :P

I missed a word from my sentence: ...slightly more uncomfortable...

kaley

Postby kaley » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:ugmhemhe: Your signature makes me slightly uncomfortable about viewing this forum at work.

Lucky for some of us that work blocks photobucket and we see only a broken link.

squonk

Postby squonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

kaley wrote:

Lucky for some of us that work blocks photobucket and we see only a broken link.

If you're using a decent browser, you should be able to manually block that specific image.

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

kaley wrote:

or use lynx

or simply block it on their own...
...not that hard

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

daef wrote:

It's not particularly a 'decency' problem, as such. It's just that it concretely confirms to anybody who might look over my shoulder that this is definitely not a work related forum, and maybe slightly hints that the forum could be 'inappropriate' for viewing at work. Whilst Randall's comic panes are also clearly not work related, they're potentially the sort of thing that somebody might post as a one off joke on a technical board.

waidh

Postby waidh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:[...] Your signature makes me slightly uncomfortable about viewing this forum at work.

You could choose to hide signatures, in the settings at User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit display options. You'll still be able to see signatures on the profiles.

squonk

Postby squonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
daef wrote:

It's not particularly a 'decency' problem, as such. It's just that it concretely confirms to anybody who might look over my shoulder that this is definitely not a work related forum, and maybe slightly hints that the forum could be 'inappropriate' for viewing at work. Whilst Randall's comic panes are also clearly not work related, they're potentially the sort of thing that somebody might post as a one off joke on a technical board.

Well, this is definitely not a work related forum. If anything, it's an anti-work related forum, given the untold number of hours of productivity this one comic has sucked out of the workforce.

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
daef wrote:

see:
block.png

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

squonk wrote:If you're using a decent browser, you should be able to manually block that specific image.

My first attempt to do so in Chrome failed, but I'm sure I could work it out if...

waidh wrote:You could choose to hide signatures, in the settings at User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit display options. You'll still be able to see signatures on the profiles.

...this hadn't solved my problem. Cheers!
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”