1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggrohmann

Re: "Tickin' away -"

Postby ggrohmann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:What are you waiting for? Go! Build a sand castle, provide updates on your blog every 30 minutes. Take your girl-friend with you. And of course, deciding that the water is too cold for taking a quick bath is in the script, too. :D
-1°C is good weather for building sand castles. You don't sweat easily and wet sand could freeze solid* for additional stability.

Nice Idea, but I'm back for work in the Office from lunch rigth now. The beach of the lake round the corner is still frozen over, and covered with snow and ice. The beach shown in that picture is a 8 or 9 "Time"-frames ;) away from me. And I would at least go knee-deep into that water. Did it last winter when I was on the beach in the picture.

Guido

FayZee

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby FayZee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

Has Stephen gone comotose?

stepheneisenhauer dot com slash demos slash xkcdtime (won't let me paste the URL).

It was my favourite way of catching up and I've been checking it quite continuously :?

However, I've since discovered I can use arrows to frame-navigate on aubronwood's gif.

Thanks for that.

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:Has Stephen gone comotose?

stepheneisenhauer dot com slash demos slash xkcdtime (won't let me paste the URL).

It was my favourite way of catching up and I've been checking it quite continuously :?

However, I've since discovered I can use arrows to frame-navigate on aubronwood's gif.

Thanks for that.

It's just that it's been stuck at 80 as the last frame for what seems like days :)

Foarm

Re: "Tickin' away -"

Postby Foarm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

ggrohmann wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:What are you waiting for? Go! Build a sand castle, provide updates on your blog every 30 minutes. Take your girl-friend with you. And of course, deciding that the water is too cold for taking a quick bath is in the script, too. :D
-1°C is good weather for building sand castles. You don't sweat easily and wet sand could freeze solid* for additional stability.

Nice Idea, but I'm back for work in the Office from lunch rigth now. The beach of the lake round the corner is still frozen over, and covered with snow and ice. The beach shown in that picture is a 8 or 9 "Time"-frames ;) away from me. And I would at least go knee-deep into that water. Did it last winter when I was on the beach in the picture.

Guido

Even though it is cold and windy, the sun is shining over here in the Netherlands. If I could take a day off, I'd like to go to the beach and build a sandcastle.
Of course not without an internet connection to see the Time updates :)
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
squonk wrote:If you're using a decent browser, you should be able to manually block that specific image.

My first attempt to do so in Chrome failed, but I'm sure I could work it out if...

Use Opera. I did not only get rid of the sexist signature but also of the fidgety avatar of ugmhemhe. I'll never understand why people add such annoyances to their web appearance.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

Bumping the catch up methods for great justice:

Primis wrote:Live updating GIF:

FayZee wrote:http://stepheneisenhauer.com/demos/xkcdtime
[fixed URL because I believe I have the required level of prior posting, but it seems to be dead now]

And my personal favourite:
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:http://stepheneisenhauer.com/demos/xkcdtime
[fixed URL because I believe I have the required level of prior posting]
[seems to be dead]

Thanks!

And my personal favourite (which I can't be bothered to hunt the original poster's quote for):
http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/[/quote]

Yes, that's the one I'm using now, with arrow keys to step through frames. That was a nice addition.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

Well, it looks like it's crenellation time again.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

Last edited by Magdiragdag on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Aww I was hoping there would be some additions not just repair. Lets see what he does next!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

Fitzypyro wrote:Aww I was hoping there would be some additions not just repair. Lets see what he does next!

Well - he seems to be extending the wall along to the central tower, which isn't exactly the same as it was before. It might even provide a base for a potential new tower...

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

just in case anyone needs a web-based countdown for the next frame (shows the remaining time in the page-title(=tab) and plays a "dong" when the new image arrives): http://www.webcountdown.de/?a=gxMXfoy

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

daef wrote:just in case anyone needs a web-based countdown for the next frame (shows the remaining time in the page-title(=tab) and plays a "dong" when the new image arrives): <see original post for URL>

That milliseconds counter is bit too hypnotic for my taste, but the title works perfectly in a background tab page.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
daef wrote:just in case anyone needs a web-based countdown for the next frame (shows the remaining time in the page-title(=tab) and plays a "dong" when the new image arrives): <see original post for URL>

That milliseconds counter is bit too hypnotic for my taste, but the title works perfectly in a background tab page.

Doesn't seem to be working for me: it says there are approximately 45 minutes left to the next image. How is it set up? Is it timezone specific?

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:

that's exactly what i use it for...
...the page itself is loaded with ads and crap - but i'm too lazy to jsfiddle my own - since i've got work to do here too... ;)

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Foarm wrote:

Doesn't seem to be working for me: it says there are approximately 45 minutes left to the next image. How is it set up? Is it timezone specific?

try it again (timezone should fixed now...)

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Fitzypyro wrote:Aww I was hoping there would be some additions not just repair. Lets see what he does next!

Well - he seems to be extending the wall along to the central tower, which isn't exactly the same as it was before. It might even provide a base for a potential new tower...

haha i hope so! that would be awesome! sadly i will have to go to sleep soon, within the next few half hours

zachbarnett

Postby zachbarnett » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

Beidah wrote:I'm kind of hoping there isn't a "payoff" that you guys seem to want. The way I see it, this comic is a lot like life. There's no real plot in life. Things aren't being pushed forward constantly by the narrative. Things tend to happen day-by-day, one moment at a time. Somethings build up to something, whist others just sort of happen and then are forgotten later. Days at the beach are nice, and are remembered fondly, but usually it's just sort of vague and generic.

I like this interpretation... however, I do wonder whether this fits with the hover-text. Do you think "Wait for it." is just to let us know that the comic is changing? I think that "Time lapse." or "Every thirty minutes." might have served the same purpose.
Come discuss this this thread on IRC. #xkcd-time on irc.foonetic.net.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

daef wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Foarm wrote:

Yeah - that worked. How was it 30 minutes out? I thought timezones were spaced hourly.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

zachbarnett wrote:
Beidah wrote:I'm kind of hoping there isn't a "payoff" that you guys seem to want. The way I see it, this comic is a lot like life. There's no real plot in life. Things aren't being pushed forward constantly by the narrative. Things tend to happen day-by-day, one moment at a time. Somethings build up to something, whist others just sort of happen and then are forgotten later. Days at the beach are nice, and are remembered fondly, but usually it's just sort of vague and generic.

I like this interpretation... however, I do wonder whether this fits with the hover-text. Do you think "Wait for it." is just to let us know that the comic is changing? I think that "Time lapse." or "Every thirty minutes." might have served the same purpose.

I think 'Wait for it' was just to let us know that there was something more to come, without being too blunt about it. Your suggestions would have ruined the mystery in the beginning.

BJ Nemeth

Postby BJ Nemeth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
ugmhemhe wrote:
KarMann wrote:We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.
this made me laugh my ass off

Now that it comes to my attention again, I realize there's another level to that which never even crossed my mind when I posted it. I was just thinking of "faster" in the sense that the Six Million Dollar Man was faster, i.e. the sand castle's going to move at 0 m/s* no matter what. But now, I realize it could also be taken as the speed at which it's rebuilt, much more relevant to the theme of the comic.

* Relative to the beach, of course. And no, I'm not going to convert to mph for my fellow Americans; you're on your own.

I smiled at the original quote from the "Six Million Dollar Man," because in the 1970s and '80s my father would quote that line any time something needed to be built or re-built.

But I snickered out loud at your refusal to convert 0 m/s to miles per hour. Well played.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for the comic itself, I think the people who are waiting for a big punchline or a dramatic ending are sort of missing the point. Like Life itself, this comic is about the journey, not the destination. (I think it will eventually end, but in a subtle, interesting way.)

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

waidh wrote:
mojacardave wrote:[...] Your signature makes me slightly uncomfortable about viewing this forum at work.

You could choose to hide signatures, in the settings at User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit display options. You'll still be able to see signatures on the profiles.

I'd say it's a nice skirt of proper length, but... well, thanks for mentioning, I reconfigured instantly.

I'm with a customer's project, too, but I could pull off a 'Compiling' (if I need to).
But we don't have to take unneccessary risks, do we.

Even for 1190. Which already rededicated a great deal of nerd working power.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Fitzypyro wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

haha i hope so! that would be awesome! sadly i will have to go to sleep soon, within the next few half hours

Until this comic I'd use hours, but just like Fitzypyro, I have switched to half hours instead.

rgove

Postby rgove » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote: I thought timezones were spaced hourly.

1,200,000,000 Indian people say you're wrong.

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

daef wrote:just in case anyone needs a web-based countdown for the next frame (shows the remaining time in the page-title(=tab) and plays a "dong" when the new image arrives): http://www.webcountdown.de/?a=gxMXfoy

Brilliant! I've added it to my always-on-top tracker!
Attachments
screenshot2.png
I feel like an evil villian.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Time: You've wasted a lot of this following the progression of this comic. Go do things.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

dbh937

Postby dbh937 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

I just got back on this thread for the morning, so I haven't had time to look through the entire thing, but has anyone else thought about how the monday comic is called "Time", and the wednesday comic is called "The Past"? I don't know what, but there might be some sort of relationship there.

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
daef wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Foarm wrote:

Yeah - that worked. How was it 30 minutes out? I thought timezones were spaced hourly.

i thought they're half-hourly... :)

nevertheless it was set to "use visitors local timezone" - and now i've switched it to "use THIS timezone...[v]"

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

d40f6d35639642db88ea44f3983cc1bba646f71f7221357df6b2b8161c5e67cf.png
d40f6d35639642db88ea44f3983cc1bba646f71f7221357df6b2b8161c5e67cf.png (4.43 KiB) Viewed 12793 times
George Carlin wrote:Think of how stupid a average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

ahh - and now i've seen that it doesn't automatically restart (you've got to reload...) - but what do i care xD

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Time: You've wasted a lot of this following the progression of this comic. Go do things.

Hehe. I'm kind of disappointed that the title text doesn't change with the image. Maybe it will at the end. Leaving a caption reading 'Wait for it' on a stationary final frame would be very cruel.

EDIT TO ADD: Seems I was right that he's rebuilding differently. That's a new wall!

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

Fitzypyro wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

I've just realised that there is now a small group of people who will start measuring time in half hours. So the next time you meet someone who says "I'll be ready in 6 half hours" instead of "I'll be ready in three hours", just ask them what their xkcd forum handle is.

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

xkcd - Registration wrote:You agree that “xkcd” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

I had to snigger when I read this in the Terms you have to agree to register at this forum. :)

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

How is this so very captivating???

Anyway I think we should just complete our full transition into comic 915 now.

I think frame 97 is the best so far. "Complete" castle with head looking right totally beats frame 98 with head looking left. Although the utter chaos of 103 evokes some cosmic ponderings that are unequaled by other frames.

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Time: You've wasted a lot of this following the progression of this comic. Go do things.

Hehe. I'm kind of disappointed that the title text doesn't change with the image. Maybe it will at the end. Leaving a caption reading 'Wait for it' on a stationary final frame would be very cruel.

Cruel indeed. Of course, if his timing of updates changes it could signal that we should still standby. So, if we go well over 30 minutes without an updated image or updated title text, does that mean he's being cruel or that there might be an update at the 60 min mark or 24 hour mark or 168 hour mark or ...

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

Now the problem is that the xkcd viewer I use doesn't update the picture since it saved the original one in memory.
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

At first (he'd already started the rebuild by the time I got on this morning) I thought the tear-down and rebuild was deliberate, then I watched the slo-mo replay with commentary (also known as this thread) which makes a good case for the tear-down having been an accidental slip (though it still could have been a deliberate move in order to demolish as quickly as possible).

Either way, the rebuilt wing is on a grander scale than the original.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Pingouin7 wrote:Now the problem is that the xkcd viewer I use doesn't update the picture since it saved the original one in memory.

I had that problem. I normally view XKCD in Google Currents, but that just shows image 1 as a static image, since it's just reading the RSS feed.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Alright already. after 2 or 3 years of lurking, you finally got me to register. Well played, Forum. Well played.

And I believe this is much darker than anyone has yet suggested. the objective of this is to make you literally feel entropy killing off the universe by making you aware of the sensation of time passing by, and minutes and seconds being shed like dead skin. It will inevitably be about the heat death of the universe. And the sand castle represents the mindless things we do to fill the time and make it seem to have meaning.

Or it's about how neat sandcastles are. that works too.

rpell

Postby rpell » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Nevermind
Last edited by rpell on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:03 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”