1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kethryes

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kethryes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

daef wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Yeah - that worked. How was it 30 minutes out? I thought timezones were spaced hourly.

i thought they're half-hourly... :)

nevertheless it was set to "use visitors local timezone" - and now i've switched it to "use THIS timezone...[v]"

Ask the Nepali how timezones work... :mrgreen:

(Edit : yeah there is no mistake, that's UTC+5:45. Timezones are wicked)
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

daef wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Yeah - that worked. How was it 30 minutes out? I thought timezones were spaced hourly.

nevertheless it was set to "use visitors local timezone" - and now i've switched it to "use THIS timezone...[v]"

This map: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/ shows that it's more of a mix than I thought. Generally 1 hour offsets, but with the odd exception.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Eoink wrote:I've just realised that there is now a small group of people who will start measuring time in half hours. So the next time you meet someone who says "I'll be ready in 6 half hours" instead of "I'll be ready in three hours", just ask them what their xkcd forum handle is.

That's not quite new - Glasen (German) for time measurement on ships was much like that. The hourglass had to be turned every 30 minutes; with the bell ringing eight times the 4-hour-watch shift was over (English wikipedia here).

Lets say, Randall will continue 1190 "forever". How long until the forum traffic in this thread will subside to 1 post per hour? How long until less than 10 people are looking for updates on 30m-basis?
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

How the hell is a countdown to a discrete event reliant on time-zones?
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

rpell

Postby rpell » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Oops
Last edited by rpell on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Try this:

Line Islands: Those that are part of Kiribati are in the world's farthest forward time zone, UTC+14:00. The time of day is the same as in Hawaiʻi, but the date is one day ahead. The time is 26 hours ahead of some other islands in Oceania like Baker Island which uses UTC−12:00.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_Islands
http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/pacific/lint.html
Last edited by iisjreg on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
daef wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

This map: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/ shows that it's more of a mix than I thought. Generally 1 hour offsets, but with the odd exception.

I love how the projection messes with the vertical time lines. The sectioned off bits around +12/-12 are incredibly confusing.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

IainIsm

Postby IainIsm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

daef wrote:i thought they're half-hourly... :)

You may want to run that statement past the Chatham Islands and a couple of other places...

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

that's not what i've expected of the next frame to be... :/ ^^

Magnap

Postby Magnap » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Almost done with the new wall!
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

Semper_Phoenix

Postby Semper_Phoenix » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

№ 844 back in January 2011 was so long ago, I forgot I had registered here.... Randall, I love it & I love everyone's contributions & efforts here in this thread, but special thanks to Primis for the live updating GIF :D

squonk

Postby squonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

Magnap wrote:Image
Almost done with the new wall!

Clearly this means that Randall has been diagnosed with psoriasis. :(

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Lets say, Randall will continue 1190 "forever". How long until the forum traffic in this thread will subside to 1 post per hour? How long until less than 10 people are looking for updates on 30m-basis?

I don't think it's feasible that this will continue indefinitely at half-hourly intervals. Assuming (at a best case scenario) that it takes him 1 minute to draw the changes to a comic and upload it into the queue, he'd still have to spend 5 hours and 36 minutes drawing this comic every week for the rest of his life. It doesn't matter how much he has stockpiled: as the current queue runs out, the amount of time per week will approach that number. If it takes closer to 2 minutes, then he's spending practically an entire day of every week on this one comic.

If the updates dropped to 1 (or preferably 2) hourly, then I could see it going on forever, but I think making assumptions of eternity based on less than 3 days worth of updates is a little premature!

squonk

Postby squonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Lets say, Randall will continue 1190 "forever". How long until the forum traffic in this thread will subside to 1 post per hour? How long until less than 10 people are looking for updates on 30m-basis?

I don't think it's feasible that this will continue indefinitely at half-hourly intervals. Assuming (at a best case scenario) that it takes him 1 minute to draw the changes to a comic and upload it into the queue, he'd still have to spend 5 hours and 36 minutes drawing this comic every week for the rest of his life. It doesn't matter how much he has stockpiled: as the current queue runs out, the amount of time per week will approach that number. If it takes closer to 2 minutes, then he's spending practically an entire day of every week on this one comic.

Perhaps he's written an algorithm to draw and upload this comic for him?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

squonk wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

If Randall had a highly developed artificial intelligence under his control, I suspect he'd be using it for more devious purposes than drawing an eternal comic.

PS. I'm aware that 11 hours =/= 1 day. I'm allowing for eating, sleeping and occasional trips out of the house.

squonk

Postby squonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
squonk wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

If Randall had a highly developed artificial intelligence under his control, I suspect he'd be using it for more devious purposes than drawing an eternal comic.

How developed would it have to be to draw stick figures and sand castles in various states of building? The algorithm could do the bulk of the work, and Randall could manually draw bits and pieces here and there to make it seem more "human".

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Or it's about how neat sandcastles are. that works too.

Sandcastles are indeed neat.

Also, is there anybody else who finds it strange that there is no mention of this comic/thread on the 'sandcastle' page on wikipedia?
I somehow think there is a need for that.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
Fitzypyro wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Fitzypyro wrote:Aww I was hoping there would be some additions not just repair. Lets see what he does next!

Well - he seems to be extending the wall along to the central tower, which isn't exactly the same as it was before. It might even provide a base for a potential new tower...

haha i hope so! that would be awesome! sadly i will have to go to sleep soon, within the next few half hours

Until this comic I'd use hours, but just like Fitzypyro, I have switched to half hours instead.

Ahahaha yeah theres a few now. I confess I didn't have the original idea, it was from somewhere during monday night/ tuesday (a while ago considering its now just thursday here)

Eoink wrote:I've just realised that there is now a small group of people who will start measuring time in half hours. So the next time you meet someone who says "I'll be ready in 6 half hours" instead of "I'll be ready in three hours", just ask them what their xkcd forum handle is.

Hopefully I can stick to it. Just another thing Randall has thrown into our heads.
To the people and the timezones, there are a few half hour timezones around indeed.
And as just some trivia, the entirety of China is on one timezone GMT+8 (in line with Singapore). This means that in Beijing and Shanghai the clocks are roughly three hours slow (high noon in Shanghai is around 10am, the days start early (I know because I lived there)). Kind of strange considering they are on the same latitude longitude as Eastern Australia (where I am from). Just some of my life experience for you.

Srt252 wrote:How is this so very captivating???

Anyway I think we should just complete our full transition into comic 915 now.

I think frame 97 is the best so far. "Complete" castle with head looking right totally beats frame 98 with head looking left. Although the utter chaos of 103 evokes some cosmic ponderings that are unequaled by other frames.

SO CAPTIVATING. So much for sleep.
Last edited by Fitzypyro on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:If Randall had a highly developed artificial intelligence under his control, I suspect he'd be using it for more devious purposes than drawing an eternal comic.

I think he'd use it to set up a COD4 toruney
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

48+ hours later, I figured it was time to register a forum account. Because, y'know, I could be here for DAYS...

Also, I wanted to register the following incorrect prediction for the comic:

It will continue until 31-March, when (sometime in the afternoon, US time) a TARDIS will land on the sandcastle.

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Or it's about how neat sandcastles are. that works too.

Sandcastles are indeed neat.

Also, is there anybody else who finds it strange that there is no mention of this comic/thread on the 'sandcastle' page on wikipedia?
I somehow think there is a need for that.

GO INTERNET GOOO!! :D

squonk wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
squonk wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

How developed would it have to be to draw stick figures and sand castles in various states of building? The algorithm could do the bulk of the work, and Randall could manually draw bits and pieces here and there to make it seem more "human".

Knowing Randall's obvious intelligence and also extreme dedication to his work (seen in a great many strips of his that arent quite strips like click and drag, and the exponential scale now poster, and the internet maps now posters, and the gravity wells now poster, and the up goer five now poster, and the earth's depths now poster. and these are the ones i can remember off the top of my head) I would say it is very likely that he has the willpower to do this manually or could have created some form of complex image generation algorithm that would allow him to just keep going.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:If the updates dropped to 1 (or preferably 2) hourly, then I could see it going on forever, but I think making assumptions of eternity based on less than 3 days worth of updates is a little premature!

If you removed premature, unfounded assumptions about the nature of this comic from this thread, I'm pretty sure there would be about four posts in it.
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
mojacardave wrote:If Randall had a highly developed artificial intelligence under his control, I suspect he'd be using it for more devious purposes than drawing an eternal comic.

I think he'd use it to set up a COD4 toruney

Oh I love that. particularly because I'm still obsessed with cod4 and frequently try to set up tourneys with my friends/peers. This has just motivated me further to start up my newly planned one.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

MULTI-BUMP

Countdown to next update:

Live updating GIF:
Primis wrote:Image

Click and Drag (quite out of date but pretty - hoping for an update):

More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
mojacardave wrote:If the updates dropped to 1 (or preferably 2) hourly, then I could see it going on forever, but I think making assumptions of eternity based on less than 3 days worth of updates is a little premature!

If you removed premature, unfounded assumptions about the nature of this comic from this thread, I'm pretty sure there would be about four posts in it.

Like a bed!

(You forgot to exclude bad puns)

fixer

Postby fixer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Crenellate all the things!
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:

There is still the hashing jargon that went on a while back. That would add up a bit. Still you have a point.
Also sorry everyone for my bursts of posts every x amount of time. I just read up a bunch and then have lots of things to say.
Also yay hes finished more of the wall!
Considering I have to wake up in 11 half-hours I think I will be saying 'later' for now.
11 panels is a lot to miss!!!!!
Oh the questions the questions, what will happen next....
Happy watching everyone!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

Fitzypyro wrote:And as just some trivia, the entirety of China is on one timezone GMT+8 (in line with Singapore). This means that in Beijing and Shanghai the clocks are roughly three hours slow (high noon in Shanghai is around 10am, the days start early (I know because I lived there)). Kind of strange considering they are on the same latitude as Eastern Australia (where I am from). Just some of my life experience for you.

I hope you meant to say "longitude" rather than "latitude"

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

to be fair, I'm pretty sure that the unfounded assumptions are part of the point. How many people make unfounded assumptions of real life? it's part of the process of being sentient beings with the ability to experience only one point in a directional time. We can't really see what is coming, so we start making predictions based upon the past, our personal assumptions, and our mood.

this comic just does the same thing to fans of XKCD as Real Life does to less geeky folk.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

I feel like a crazy person... I have a dedicated xkcd browser window now, with this thread, the countdown page (which BONGS), the original comic page and aubronwood's page (deffo the best thing EVAR) - Four tabs for one comic that ONLY EVER EVEN UPDATES ONCE EVERY HALF HOUR.

I do honestly feel a little insane.

However when I woke up this morning my face must have been a picture as I watched (on aubronwood's page, as slowly as I could bare to let myself scroll through the pictures) Megan leave, and then the boy finish, and then ACCIDENTALLY DESTROY the castle. We are surely nearing the end of the rebuild now, and Megan MUST return. Especially since he did!!

Gosh. Three days of my life. A blur.

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:

Hey, that's not entirely true. I've been plugging the explainxkcd wiki for well more than four posts, even though our servers are having a hard enough time already without incoming visitors from these forums.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

My boyfriend is coming to pick me up in five-half-hours. I wonder if Megan will be back by then? I wonder where we will be? I almost don't want to sleep tonight because of this darned comic!! Gosh.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Fitzypyro wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:

There is still the hashing jargon that went on a while back. That would add up a bit. Still you have a point.
Also sorry everyone for my bursts of posts every x amount of time. I just read up a bunch and then have lots of things to say.

Just to be clear, I didn't mean my post to be a criticism of all the speculation, more like, "why stop with the off-the-wall hypotheticals now?" It is for the most part fun to read (some exceptions).
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

It seems like the coding of #1190 has been slightly modified to obscure the URL. We're going to have to be careful from here on out to make sure we grab all of the images!

Anybody who's written a code to directly grab the image URL from xkcd and link to it may have issues keeping their programs up to date. Downloading the image still seems to give the full filepath - currently at least.

EDIT to add the latest update, since nobody has yet.
Attachments
3c3566958f0430bb674416ecbd57bf611da92cfefc2e50e44a49cc00f9299036.png
3c3566958f0430bb674416ecbd57bf611da92cfefc2e50e44a49cc00f9299036.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 11537 times

Fitzypyro

Postby Fitzypyro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Fitzypyro wrote:And as just some trivia, the entirety of China is on one timezone GMT+8 (in line with Singapore). This means that in Beijing and Shanghai the clocks are roughly three hours slow (high noon in Shanghai is around 10am, the days start early (I know because I lived there)). Kind of strange considering they are on the same latitude as Eastern Australia (where I am from). Just some of my life experience for you.

I hope you meant to say "longitude" rather than "latitude"

damn i knew i would mess that one up

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
squonk wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

PS. I'm aware that 11 hours =/= 1 day. I'm allowing for eating, sleeping and occasional trips out of the house.

I don't see why you would allow that for Randall when we clearly aren't doing any of those!

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:It seems like the coding of #1190 has been slightly modified to obscure the URL. We're going to have to be careful from here on out to make sure we grab all of the images!

Anybody who's written a code to directly grab the image URL from xkcd and link to it may have issues keeping their programs up to date. Downloading the image still seems to give the full filepath - currently at least.

<plug>Or you could come see our archived records on the explainxkcd wiki, lovingly hand-crafted and time-stamped for your convenience!

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.p ... 1190:_Time</plug>

IainIsm

Postby IainIsm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

squonk wrote:How developed would it have to be to draw stick figures and sand castles in various states of building? The algorithm could do the bulk of the work, and Randall could manually draw bits and pieces here and there to make it seem more "human".

Or perhaps this comic is the product of a number of years of work? There could still be hundreds of unserved hand-drawn images 'in the queue'.

Perhaps (even) it was lovingly constructed in the form of a .gif, one layer of which is served up to us every half hour, only to be stuck back into another .gif - now there's poetry! :wink:

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

davidy22 wrote:<plug>Or you could come see our archived records on the explainxkcd wiki, lovingly hand-crafted and time-stamped for your convenience!

YEAH!! AWESOME!!!!

Well... if they actually worked. (*COUGH* http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/ *COUGH*)

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

davidy22 wrote:
mojacardave wrote:It seems like the coding of #1190 has been slightly modified to obscure the URL. We're going to have to be careful from here on out to make sure we grab all of the images!

<plug>Or you could come see our archived records on the explainxkcd wiki, lovingly hand-crafted and time-stamped for your convenience!

So long as you're uploading images and storing them on your own servers, that may be safer, once the mad rush has died down. It's entirely possible that Randall might run this once, and then remove all of the component images from his server.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”