1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Magdiragdag

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Magdiragdag » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:
Magdiragdag wrote:Shall I wait for the next update another half halfhour or shall I go out?

Go out. I am on the verge of making a decision to go and pack my bag for the night. I am thinking another *checks* 9mins and 17secs and I will do ;)

Thanks for the advice. In another 6 minutes I will.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Hence why I avoided gender-specific pronouns altogether. 'He' as an 'unknown-gender' alternative is perhaps accepted, but maybe a little outdated. 'They' is probably a better choice, if not quite as pleasant grammatically.

There used to be a neutral pronoun in middle English, I believe, but it has not been used for centuries. So that practice is the outdated one.

Plural genders is the most common, but it's terrible English. It's used today with the same veracity as ain't and ya'll. But still totally acceptable :)
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

MULTI-BUMP

Countdown to next update:

Latest frame (auto updates):

Live updating GIF:
Primis wrote:Image

More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):

Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

SRSLY? HEADBOB? >.<

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

This is getting a little unfair now....

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:
mojacardave wrote:Hence why I avoided gender-specific pronouns altogether. 'He' as an 'unknown-gender' alternative is perhaps accepted, but maybe a little outdated. 'They' is probably a better choice, if not quite as pleasant grammatically.

Assuming that Aubron was a girl and actually using 'she' as my pronoun would have maybe been a little insulting, but I don't think: not recognising the name Aubron, guessing the wrong gender but not being sure, and avoiding pronouns for that reason, is particularly bad.

I think we should both just say that we both did the right thing and as a result are both in the clear? ;)

Especially since he's a guy anyway :P

SWuh's response is the best. I was attempting provocation and she totally kicked me off my high horse and made it positive. :oops:
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

daef

Postby daef » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:MULTI-BUMP
Countdown to next update:

changed it btw so it counts 6 seconds early so that i've got time to switch to the tab and see the transition ;)

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Unfair it is. Oh well; why do now what you could postpone another half hour?
I wait for it, therefore I am.

SparkyDan

Postby SparkyDan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

This moved me much when I first saw it, at the end of a crazy day, after watching for 15 minutes. I didn't really know if it had changed or not, but it captured me.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

daef wrote:changed it btw so it counts 6 seconds early so that i've got time to switch to the tab and see the transition ;)

I am always watching the main page for the last 30secs of the countdown anyway. So now I can watch NOTHING HAPPEN for 36secs instead.

peewee_RotA wrote:SWuh's response is the best. I was attempting provocation and she totally kicked me off my high horse and made it positive. :oops:

Proud moment of the day right there 8-)

RainbowDashh

Postby RainbowDashh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

I'm just another person that signed up because of this comic. I'm starting to think only moving the head is getting boring right now.

pete3442

Postby pete3442 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

It certainly seems that time has slowed down within the comic. It seems (n too small to be sure) that there is some "normal" time when they are both in the frame, that time speed's up when he is gone (the castle construction with her alone was incredibly fast) and slows down when she is gone (progress has seemed frustratingly slow since she disappeared). So, perhaps the fact she has been gone over 30 frames is not (yet) meaningful, if the time "in comic" is passing differently.

Not sure if there is a point buried in there? Time is perceived differently when you are/are not part of an event (if we assume Randall identifies with the male character)? Different people perceive time differently while left alone? Or, maybe it is just a lovely sand castle and Randall is enjoying making us ... Wait for it.
bouer wrote:We're not creating a new civilization. The simultaneous distraction of most of the worlds engineers and tech support just caused the old one to fall away.

NoEdge wrote:I feel like we're close to starting a religion, if we haven't already.

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

So it looks as though the lower battlement has been reconstructed...

...what next?!

Prediction: carefully step outside the castle, look at it for a few frames, then do some more construction.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

mittfh wrote:So it looks as though the lower battlement has been reconstructed...

...what next?!

Prediction: carefully step outside the castle, look at it for a few frames, then do some more construction.

There's a minor repair required to the left edge of the left turret. It slightly collapsed when he fell.

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Mother of...

I went to bed, overslept a bit, and wake up to find Cueball destroyed part of the sandcastle, and put it back together.

Did anyone else notice that the original tower Megan and Cueball built was the one that got hit by flying justice?
Mgraba wrote:He who watches Time already waits for it.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

pete3442 wrote: ... Wait for it.

Oh look, he's arrived!

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:How is this so very captivating???

Anyway I think we should just complete our full transition into comic 915 now.

I think frame 97 is the best so far. "Complete" castle with head looking right totally beats frame 98 with head looking left. Although the utter chaos of 103 evokes some cosmic ponderings that are unequaled by other frames.

If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - NOW : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period). Still in progress! How exciting!

My favourite is frame 26, It symbolises more hope than any of the other ones. Also frame 20, because I find woman who shake their hair sexy.

Discuss!
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Beatrice The Golden

Postby Beatrice The Golden » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

pete3442 wrote:It certainly seems that time has slowed down within the comic. It seems (n too small to be sure) that there is some "normal" time when they are both in the frame, that time speed's up when he is gone (the castle construction with her alone was incredibly fast) and slows down when she is gone (progress has seemed frustratingly slow since she disappeared). So, perhaps the fact she has been gone over 30 frames is not (yet) meaningful, if the time "in comic" is passing differently.

Not sure if there is a point buried in there? (...)

Actually, I think two things happened: he did not plan for the story to go so slowly, so at the beginning the pace was rather quick (the castle was build relatively quickly). Now, however, everything slowed down. I think it might be related to our responses. As I said - the end of the story is most likely already determined, but not all panels were written for it. I have a mild suspicion about the slowdown. I think he's making it deliberately by drawing mid-panels on-the-flight. Just to slow everything down. I am almost sure he did not plan out the pacing like that from the very beginning.
Humans view problems differently depending on whether or not they are guaranteed to be solvable

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

...Am I the only one who keeps hearing "must be a reason why I'm king of my castle" (from the Wamdue Project) looping in my head when I'm looking at "Time" lately...? Surely not? Well, not anymore, anyway... :))

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Beatrice The Golden wrote:
pete3442 wrote:It certainly seems that time has slowed down within the comic. It seems (n too small to be sure) that there is some "normal" time when they are both in the frame, that time speed's up when he is gone (the castle construction with her alone was incredibly fast) and slows down when she is gone (progress has seemed frustratingly slow since she disappeared). So, perhaps the fact she has been gone over 30 frames is not (yet) meaningful, if the time "in comic" is passing differently.

Not sure if there is a point buried in there? (...)

Actually, I think two things happened: he did not plan for the story to go so slowly, so at the beginning the pace was rather quick (the castle was build relatively quickly). Now, however, everything slowed down. I think it might be related to our responses. As I said - the end of the story is most likely already determined, but not all panels were written for it. I have a mild suspicion about the slowdown. I think he's making it deliberately by drawing mid-panels on-the-flight. Just to slow everything down. I am almost sure he did not plan out the pacing like that from the very beginning.

Or perhaps he realised that he needed to make relatively obvious progress early on, so that people would get what was happening. Having said that, the first few frames weren't full of action. Maybe when he was drawing the strip, he still hadn't decided on a frame rate, so he didn't worry too much about progression of the story in each frame. Or maybe he realised that people would be hooked by this point, so he could be an insufferable tease with storyline progress.

deusrex

Postby deusrex » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Ardaglash wrote:Meanwhile, beyond the folks who have been following and participating in this thread I wonder how many casual XKCD readers opened a new tab, saw one frame of Time, thought "ok, I don't get this one", closed the tab, and have been going on with their lives otherwise unaware?

This was me with Umwelt. I never understood the big deal with that comic until yesterday when, after reading posts on this thread saying how good of a comic it was, I decided to search for the forum thread for it. Then I went to explainxkcd to see all the possibilities, and realized that over time I have probably seen 3 or 4 different versions of the Umwelt comic but never realized that it was different from before. (When it was released, I saw Northeast Earthquake, later I saw Aurora, yesterday I saw the snake, and I remember seeing bhg and the void).

Fortunately, I don't appear to have as critical of a case of OCD as others around here and I am able to allow myself to miss some of the image updates. Un/Fortunately, my OCD requires me to read every post in this thread. I'm waiting for the thread to start growing faster than I can read it, in which case I will really be in trouble.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:...Am I the only one who keeps hearing "must be a reason why I'm king of my castle" (from the Wamdue Project) looping in my head when I'm looking at "Time" lately...? Surely not? Well, not anymore, anyway... :))

Not anymore, anyway indeed. Thanks.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:

I think frame 97 is the best so far. "Complete" castle with head looking right totally beats frame 98 with head looking left. Although the utter chaos of 103 evokes some cosmic ponderings that are unequaled by other frames.

If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - NOW : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period). Still in progress! How exciting!

My favourite is frame 26, It symbolises more hope than any of the other ones. Also frame 20, because I find woman who shake their hair sexy.

Discuss!

I don't really see a point discussing this, it's a pretty solid breakdown of the frames. I cast my ballot to ratify the proposed amendments.
Mgraba wrote:He who watches Time already waits for it.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:

Discuss!

I actually think that the periods with the couple together have been darker in the forum than the lone periods. When the couple are together, everybody starts theorising about relationships, cancer and (possibly miscarried) babies. When they're alone, it's just a sandcastle.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:I actually think that the periods with the couple together have been darker in the forum than the lone periods. When the couple are together, everybody starts theorising about relationships, cancer and (possibly miscarried) babies. When they're alone, it's just a sandcastle.

I think that the perception of darkness isn't so much a function of inherent human pessimism as the fact that we know there have been some difficult times, and we're worried for them. But I also think that's ebbed because the longer this progression goes on, the less likely it seems that it would end on a dark note. A build-up like this needs either a crescendo or a loop, not a sudden descent into the abyss.

Or maybe that perception is a function of inherent human optimism.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:

Discuss!

I actually think that the periods with the couple together have been darker in the forum than the lone periods. When the couple are together, everybody starts theorising about relationships, cancer and (possibly miscarried) babies. When they're alone, it's just a sandcastle.

I did compare the sandcastle to the Berlin wall.

Magnap

Postby Magnap » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Oh, no, don't stand up, you will fall again!
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

Not sure if there is a point buried in there? Time is perceived differently when you are/are not part of an event (if we assume Randall identifies with the male character)? Different people perceive time differently while left alone? Or, maybe it is just a lovely sand castle and Randall is enjoying making us ... Wait for it.

I think Cueball is just slower at building than Megan. Most of the time when both of them were building, it seemed like she was doing most of the work.

As for the frames, I liked 103 the best where he was falling... Slapstick is fun :D
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:I actually think that the periods with the couple together have been darker in the forum than the lone periods. When the couple are together, everybody starts theorising about relationships, cancer and (possibly miscarried) babies. When they're alone, it's just a sandcastle.

I think that the perception of darkness isn't so much a function of inherent human pessimism as the fact that we know there have been some difficult times, and we're worried for them. But I also think that's ebbed because the longer this progression goes on, the less likely it seems that it would end on a dark note. A build-up like this needs either a crescendo or a loop, not a sudden descent into the abyss.

I'd agree with that. If this comic is intended to finish on a dark note, I don't think it would have continued for three days of sandcastle building. Unless the darkness is intended to be a sudden shock. But I think it's more likely that this is just a pleasant sequence of events, playing out in super-slow-motion.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:

I think Cueball is just slower at building than Megan. Most of the time when both of them were building, it seemed like she was doing most of the work.

As for the frames, I liked 103 the best where he was falling... Slapstick is fun :D

I thought he was simply looking on in horror as part of the castle fell down. Not actually falling himself.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

Magnap wrote:Image
Oh, no, don't stand up, you will fall again!

If he falls and knocks the castle over again, I'm abandoning this comic for a few hours! I'll catch up with it later!

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

norcimo wrote:Just another poor addict delurking (*wave*) to say how awesome this comic is. And that my life is now split into neat, half hour chunks (mainly punctuated by reading this thread). I'm beginning to seriously worry that this thing is going to keep going to April 1, which will make my long Easter weekend a bit trickier

:shock:
Now I can't stop thinking about Hat Guy arriving in a bulldozer on April 1...
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
norcimo wrote:Just another poor addict delurking (*wave*) to say how awesome this comic is. And that my life is now split into neat, half hour chunks (mainly punctuated by reading this thread). I'm beginning to seriously worry that this thing is going to keep going to April 1, which will make my long Easter weekend a bit trickier

That would be a fitting end to the comic. I don't really get why everybody is so obsessed with April Fool's Day though. I know Randall normally does something major for the day, and this comic is significant, but he's done massive projects in his comics before. 'Click and Drag' wasn't for anything special. I think, if this comic is still running on April Fools Day, it'll plough through regardless.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:

I thought he was simply looking on in horror as part of the castle fell down. Not actually falling himself.

Hmm... Stick figure art is complicated, but I do think he fell since he did spit out some sand later. He might fall again now that he has climbed up the castle once more, but I don't think so. Would be too much of a repeat of the same "joke".

You did it BlitzGirl!

Editer

Postby Editer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Is it just me or are the last two frames identical? I can't see a difference.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Foarm wrote:

That would be a fitting end to the comic. I don't really get why everybody is so obsessed with April Fool's Day though. I know Randall normally does something major for the day, and this comic is significant, but he's done massive projects in his comics before. 'Click and Drag' wasn't for anything special. I think, if this comic is still running on April Fools Day, it'll plough through regardless.

I think it's just that this one is close enough that it could conceivably be for April fools.

Also, the longer this goes on, the bigger punchline it needs to function as a joke.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Editer wrote:Is it just me or are the last two frames identical? I can't see a difference.

He climbed up on the castle wall... Try refreshing your browser.

You did it BlitzGirl!

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:He climbed up on the castle wall... Try refreshing your browser.

I gave it an ice cold Sprite, but now all it does is spark and show a black screen.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Editer wrote:Is it just me or are the last two frames identical? I can't see a difference.

He's standing now, he was behind the castle wall before, he's significantly higher. Maybe you're looking at the same image twice!

Dracomax wrote:Now I can't stop thinking about Hat Guy arriving in a bulldozer on April 1...

The main problem with that idea is that it would mean that the comic would have to continue for another 5 days, without the sandcastle being removed. That sounds like a frustrating sequence of events to watch unfolding in slow motion! There's not a vast amount of space for other things to unfold, if the sandcastle is a fixed point.

norcimo

Postby norcimo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Foarm wrote:

I think it's just that this one is close enough that it could conceivably be for April fools.

Also, the longer this goes on, the bigger punchline it needs to function as a joke.

But it might just be that if it gets to April fools it does loop back to the start, the punchline being... there is no punchline :x Also, if this goes on through tonight (UK time) I'm going to be sleeping in half hour bursts :?
Knight Temporal in search of a name. In Time we shall rise. Until then, I wait.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”