1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Editer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Editer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:
Editer wrote:Is it just me or are the last two frames identical? I can't see a difference.

He climbed up on the castle wall... Try refreshing your browser.

He climbed up there at 10am my time and is still there at 10:30 my time.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

SilverTree

Postby SilverTree » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

And now there's a new comic, named "Past", and despite the irony of the title, it doesn't seem related to the previous one.
I tried to refresh "Time" and nothing happened, I think it stopped updating. So, is this it?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Editer wrote:He climbed up there at 10am my time and is still there at 10:30 my time.

This was the last "on the hour" post:

This was the last post:Image

Editer

Postby Editer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

OK, I could have sworn he was standing up there on the hour. Carry on.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

BJ Nemeth

Postby BJ Nemeth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

As someone who has followed this comic from the beginning and read every single post in this thread (really), the funniest thing to me is the people who show up late, don't read anything that came before (understandable at this point), and somehow think they are the first person to make observations like these:

1. "Has anyone mentioned the tides? Because high tide will totally destroy that sandcastle."

2. "Do you think this comic has anything to do with Randall's personal life? Perhaps this is his way of passing along good news. Or bad news."

3. "April 1st is exactly one week after the comic debuted. Do you think this could culminate in an April Fools Day joke?"

4. "When the male stick figure left, he said 'Later.' But when the female stick figure left, she said nothing. Is that significant? Has anyone mentioned that?"

5. "Using arbitrary assumptions, I've calculated how much time it would take for Randall to continue drawing this comic for the rest of his life."

6. "I just registered for the forums five minutes ago, but for some reason I can't link to this cool thing on the Internet because it's being marked as spam."

7. "Has anyone been saving the older images? I hope someone has been saving the older images. You know what would be even cooler? Somebody should use all the images up to this point to make a gif!"

8. "I have a new theory that I haven't seen mentioned in the three or four posts that I've read: When the sandcastle is finished, the two people will walk away, and the sandcastle will erode down to the beach. Then the comic will loop back to the beginning with two people on the beach and continue over and over again forever."

9. "What if Randall is following this thread, and our responses are somehow affecting the comic? No, wait, stay with me. What if ... the more frequently we post, the more slowly time moves in the comic?"

Conclusion? Time may not be cyclical, but human behavior is.

For the record, none of these comments are targeted at anyone in particular, and I mean no offense. I love this thread, and all the people in it. :)

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
Srt252 wrote:How is this so very captivating???

Anyway I think we should just complete our full transition into comic 915 now.

I think frame 97 is the best so far. "Complete" castle with head looking right totally beats frame 98 with head looking left. Although the utter chaos of 103 evokes some cosmic ponderings that are unequaled by other frames.

If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - NOW : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period). Still in progress! How exciting!

My favourite is frame 26, It symbolises more hope than any of the other ones. Also frame 20, because I find woman who shake their hair sexy.

Discuss!

As yes you would be a fan of the Sandcastle Teamwork Initiation. STI was good. And Frame 120 may be my current favorite, because he does not seem to have noticed the damage to the left side! It reinforces the eventual futility of this entire endeavor! Maybe I am just a hopeless optimist but I like the current period, as I can only wonder how he will incur even more destruction upon that which has been built?! WHAT LIES AHEAD IN THE 8 MINUTES FROM NOW FUTURE

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:As someone who has followed this comic from the beginning and read every single post in this thread (really), the funniest thing to me is the people who show up late, don't read anything that came before (understandable at this point), and somehow think they are the first person to make observations like these:

1. "Has anyone mentioned the tides? Because high tide will totally destroy that sandcastle."

2. "Do you think this comic has anything to do with Randall's personal life? Perhaps this is his way of passing along good news. Or bad news."

3. "April 1st is exactly one week after the comic debuted. Do you think this could culminate in an April Fools Day joke?"

4. "When the male stick figure left, he said 'Later.' But when the female stick figure left, she said nothing. Is that significant? Has anyone mentioned that?"

5. "Using arbitrary assumptions, I've calculated how much time it would take for Randall to continue drawing this comic for the rest of his life."

6. "I just registered for the forums five minutes ago, but for some reason I can't link to this cool thing on the Internet because it's being marked as spam."

7. "Has anyone been saving the older images? I hope someone has been saving the older images. You know what would be even cooler? Somebody should use all the images up to this point to make a gif!"

8. "I have a new theory that I haven't seen mentioned in the three or four posts that I've read: When the sandcastle is finished, the two people will walk away, and the sandcastle will erode down to the beach. Then the comic will loop back to the beginning with two people on the beach and continue over and over again forever."

9. "What if Randall is following this thread, and our responses are somehow affecting the comic? No, wait, stay with me. What if ... the more posts we get, the more slowly time moves in the comic?"

For the record, none of these comments are targeted at anyone in particular, and I mean no offense. I love this thread, and all the people in it. :)

You forgot:

10. "Hey, there's a javascript in the page. I can't decipher it but maybe someone else can?"

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:As someone who has followed this comic from the beginning and read every single post in this thread (really), the funniest thing to me is the people who show up late, don't read anything that came before (understandable at this point), and somehow think they are the first person to make observations like these:

9. "What if Randall is following this thread, and our responses are somehow affecting the comic? No, wait, stay with me. What if ... the more frequently we post, the more slowly time moves in the comic?"

Fantastic observations!! I have been on this thread since it's (almost) birth and I have seen these comments come and go. I'm doing quite well at ignoring them. Also you have missed out number 10

10. "This comic is just a way to get more users to use the forum! Maybe he just wanted the longest thread to be about a comic and not a flame war? We're not far to getting there, keep it on topic, guys!! Spiffing job!"

IainIsm

Postby IainIsm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:For the record, none of these comments are targeted at anyone in particular, and I mean no offense. I love this thread, and all the people in it. :)

That summary verges on deserving an internet.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:

I'm pretty sure that WE are the point of the comic.

From the perspective of the future, all of this will be history, a memory, neatly organized and sanitized, and people will say, "Who would spend three (four, five, seventeen) days of their life watching two stick figures build a sand castle??"

But from inside the event - from our perspective right now, as the thing is unfolding - HOLY CRAP, TIME IS AWESOME.

(Edit: And yes, I know I'm not the first person to mention that, either. :D ]
Last edited by riverssong on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

9. "What if Randall is following this thread, and our responses are somehow affecting the comic? No, wait, stay with me. What if ... the more posts we get, the more slowly time moves in the comic?"

To be fair, some of the people who've been tracking and commenting on this thread for days are guilty of repeating the same theories. Fairly difficult not to, when you're watching something play out so slowly. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that some of the theories might come to pass, and developments in the story make some of them more or less likely as time passes, so obviously various theories are going to come and go and then return.

norcimo

Postby norcimo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:As someone who has followed this comic from the beginning and read every single post in this thread (really), the funniest thing to me is the people who show up late, don't read anything that came before (understandable at this point), and somehow think they are the first

Oh yes. Having read it all myself (including the something like five pages I missed while sleeping) part of the fun has been seeing the late comers repeating all the theories (I avoided number 6 myself by actually reading the forum rules; crazy I know)
Knight Temporal in search of a name. In Time we shall rise. Until then, I wait.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:I'm pretty sure that WE are the point of the comic.

From the perspective of the future, all of this will be history, a memory, neatly organized and sanitized, and people will say, "Who would spend three (four, five, seventeen) days of their life watching two stick figures build a sand castle??"

But from inside the event - from our perspective right now, as the thing is unfolding - HOLY CRAP, TIME IS AWESOME.

That post *almost* made me glad to be a part of this...

... until I realised I am *WASTING MY LIFE*

BJ Nemeth

Postby BJ Nemeth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:You forgot:

10. "Hey, there's a javascript in the page. I can't decipher it but maybe someone else can?"

I can't believe I forgot that one. It should be #1.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:10. "This comic is just a way to get more users to use the forum! Maybe he just wanted the longest thread to be about a comic and not a flame war? We're not far to getting there, keep it on topic, guys!! Spiffing job!"

Yes - I've seen that theory a few times, and that's one that's easily disproved. If Randall cared about increasing forum traffic, he'd provide a link to the fora on the comic pages. There hasn't been one for months now.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:...
9. .... What if ... the more frequently we post, the more slowly time moves in the comic?"

I thought I read everything, but I cannot remember this has been discussed, let alone frequently.
Missing sleep. Seems to be common these days.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Yes - I've seen that theory a few times, and that's one that's easily disproved. If Randall cared about increasing forum traffic, he'd provide a link to the fora on the comic pages. There hasn't been one for months now.

Oh you must have missed the fora link discussion a few pages back.

Keep up ;)

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:10. "This comic is just a way to get more users to use the forum! Maybe he just wanted the longest thread to be about a comic and not a flame war? We're not far to getting there, keep it on topic, guys!! Spiffing job!"

A massive thread without a flame war? It's about Time!
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

GodRaimundo

Postby GodRaimundo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

I'm on holiday, alone in halls at the moment, and I expected this week to be really productive. Then, on Monday, I visited XKCD and have got no work done since. Dammit!

gumbo

Postby gumbo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

Don't forget, "has anyone noticed the Javascript?!? I haven't seen anyone mention the Javascript!!!" Those first few hours with no Javascript on the page, and therefore no discussion of it in the comments, led to at least one of those per page after it showed up.

I also read (almost) the whole thread, even though it becomes mildly insane a little too often. Keep sane, everyone!

(I guess I'm joining the de-lurking crowd, since it's been almost five years since I last posted anything here.)

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Oh just fuck off.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:
mojacardave wrote:Yes - I've seen that theory a few times, and that's one that's easily disproved. If Randall cared about increasing forum traffic, he'd provide a link to the fora on the comic pages. There hasn't been one for months now.

Oh you must have missed the fora link discussion a few pages back.

Keep up ;)

Indeed - but it sort of makes the point about repetition. Regular threads are often hard to keep track of - this one is a bit of a monster.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

He's looking the other way... perhaps Megan called him and is on her way back?
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:Oh just fuck off.

Ah, but now he's noticed the damage to the end turret, so we'll have a little more construction to look forward to! I've literally wasted my entire working day here. :?

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:He's looking the other way... perhaps Megan called him and is on her way back?

Or perhaps Randall is just fucking with us. Yeah, pretty sure he's just fucking with us at this point.

It's totally working though, I can feel myself descending even further into madness!!

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Ah, but now he's noticed the damage to the end turret, so we'll have a little more construction to look forward to! I've literally wasted my entire working day here. :?

I know it's just a circular object and not an actual face and/or head but I am pretty sure his eyeline isn't that far down (yet). I wouldn't be surprised if we have another downward flick of the head before the repair work commences.

Jesus. Just reading that post back makes me look completely crazy.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:
Grepus wrote:He's looking the other way... perhaps Megan called him and is on her way back?

Or perhaps Randall is just fucking with us. Yeah, pretty sure he's just fucking with us at this point.

It's totally working though, I can feel myself descending even further into madness!!

You and me both... SWuh put it best a few posts up.

Sod it, off to walk the dogs!
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
Srt252 wrote:How is this so very captivating???

Anyway I think we should just complete our full transition into comic 915 now.

I think frame 97 is the best so far. "Complete" castle with head looking right totally beats frame 98 with head looking left. Although the utter chaos of 103 evokes some cosmic ponderings that are unequaled by other frames.

If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - NOW : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period). Still in progress! How exciting!

My favourite is frame 26, It symbolises more hope than any of the other ones. Also frame 20, because I find woman who shake their hair sexy.

Discuss!

personally,my top ten are frames 35, 51, 68, 73, 81, 83, 88, 102, 103, and 120 (in chronological order, not order of preference.)

I doubt that any could deny the place of frame 102 and 103; the power of the castle left alone and the fall are apparent to any suitably trained eye. While many would argue that frame 52 is more deserving of praise than frame 51, the addition of text does not add to the plot nearly so much as the quiet contemplation shown in the frame before it. This contemplation is a running theme throughout the work, and far more poignant than any needless words.
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

pete3442

Postby pete3442 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Time in-comic is definitely slower now, whether intentional or not. Makes the frame rate discussions from earlier (around 14 - 19 when checking the water) seem apropos again.
bouer wrote:We're not creating a new civilization. The simultaneous distraction of most of the worlds engineers and tech support just caused the old one to fall away.

NoEdge wrote:I feel like we're close to starting a religion, if we haven't already.

Mgraba

Postby Mgraba » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

I really hope he's not leaving. HE CAN'T JUST LEAVE LIKE THAT!
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not Sleep

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:
riverssong wrote:I'm pretty sure that WE are the point of the comic.

That post *almost* made me glad to be a part of this...

... until I realised I am *WASTING MY LIFE*

NO WAY.

This is what it's like to be part of History.

Some excitement, some confusion, a whole lot of theorizing, and an incredible amount of boredom.

We are smack dab in the middle of a metaphor for ourselves.

THIS IS SO COOOOOOL.

...Sometimes I really just want to shake Randall until stuff falls out of his head, just so that I can sit and marvel and go, "Ooh, shiny!" at ALL THE AWESOME in there.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

kaley

Postby kaley » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

I was thinking my contribution to the human experiment here would be to randomly pop in and declare my love for sand castles.

Also, I'm really glad there is an archive being made of all the images, because there's no way I could survive staying up multiple nights to refresh my page every half hour. I'm too old.

appleGirl

Postby appleGirl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Add me to those who were driven out of lurking mode, only to say: UGH, I can't believe he only moved his head!
I read the first 9 pages of this thread 2 days ago, then forgot all about it yesterday (lucky me), but spent most of my workday today catching up on this thread (still have 2 pages left to read) and the new panels. Absolutely unproductive.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

And for "Best Comedic Timing In A Forum Thread", the nominees are...

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

Anyone else interested in speculating when Megan will be back? I still think Cueball will be alone for a total of 36 frames with a return of Megan with frame 125, i.e. in 1 hour and 21 minutes.
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

findx

Postby findx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

It would be pretty awesome if it ends up being the castle at the end of the original Super Mario Bros. levels...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Indeed - but it sort of makes the point about repetition. Regular threads are often hard to keep track of - this one is a bit of a monster.

I do wish there was an easy way to go find the posts as they make it through moderation. Mine yesterday took about 6 hours, though I think they got through a backlog, since it seems later ones came faster. (Serious props to the moderators all the way around.) I just know I've missed things, but they are now interspersed in the previous posts and it seems daunting to go back through 40 pages looking for new gems.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

pete3442 wrote:Time in-comic is definitely slower now, whether intentional or not. Makes the frame rate discussions from earlier (around 14 - 19 when checking the water) seem apropos again.

I refer to these as 'dead times' (in my own head, of course) - basically the points at which I should have/could have/would have done something more productive than wait for the next update had I known. Time is definitely slower. Boy managed to walk all the way down to the water's edge in one frame way back when, and now it's only a flick of the head?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:Anyone else interested in speculating when Megan will be back? I still think Cueball will be alone for a total of 36 frames with a return of Megan with frame 125, i.e. in 1 hour and 21 minutes.

That original guess of 36 frames is looking pretty prescient right now. There's not a lot else that can be done to the castle, unless it breaks again, so I'd expect something new to happen within the next few frames.

Of course, I've thought that before.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:Anyone else interested in speculating when Megan will be back? I still think Cueball will be alone for a total of 36 frames with a return of Megan with frame 125, i.e. in 1 hour and 21 minutes.

I think the return of Megan will be in at least 5 or 6 frames time from now. I think he still has to repair the tower he's stood next to, and then add something extra again before she gets back. So she can notice the differences.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”