1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SWuh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:NO WAY.

This is what it's like to be part of History.

Some excitement, some confusion, a whole lot of theorizing, and an incredible amount of boredom.

We are smack dab in the middle of a metaphor for ourselves.

THIS IS SO COOOOOOL.

...Sometimes I really just want to shake Randall until stuff falls out of his head, just so that I can sit and marvel and go, "Ooh, shiny!" at ALL THE AWESOME in there.

OK. OK. You sold it to me. Whatever :roll:

;)

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

This whole discussion reminds me of the mugglenet forums back before book seven came out... are we gonna start a musical genre? xkc-Rock?

(and just to clarify- I did read the forum rules, and made sure to mention that I didn't have rights to post links in my first post. I've also read every post in here...)
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:Anyone else interested in speculating when Megan will be back? I still think Cueball will be alone for a total of 36 frames with a return of Megan with frame 125, i.e. in 1 hour and 21 minutes.

I think the return of Megan will be in at least 5 or 6 frames time from now. I think he still has to repair the tower he's stood next to, and then add something extra again before she gets back. So she can notice the differences.

I hope she brings some of those little flags for the castle.
Last edited by manvandmaan on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:Anyone else interested in speculating when Megan will be back? I still think Cueball will be alone for a total of 36 frames with a return of Megan with frame 125, i.e. in 1 hour and 21 minutes.

I think the return of Megan will be in at least 5 or 6 frames time from now. I think he still has to repair the tower he's stood next to, and then add something extra again before she gets back. So she can notice the differences.

Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Burton

Postby Burton » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

Hi!

Has anyone noticed the tides? I'll bet the tides or possibly the wind will slowly destroy the sand castle. Or maybe a seagull will do it.

Do you think this has anything to do with Randall's personal life? Maybe he's planning to go to the beach later. Or maybe he just bought a portable scanner or a tablet with a stylus and he is drawing this comic on the beach *right now*!

April first is coming up. I wonder if this comic will still be going then... Maybe beret guy will come in on a hot air balloon (but really small, to scale with the castle).

Did you notice the girl left without saying goodbye? That was rather rude of her.

You know, if Randall tried to keep drawing this comic until the end of time, he'd start getting duplicate hashes.

I registered for the forums several weeks ago, but for some reason I don't want to link to anything yet. Just so you know.

I hope people are saving older images! We don't want to miss anything! We want it to stay around forever, just like a real sandcastle.

I have a brand-new never-before heard theory! Something will happen in the future involving tides, black-hat guy, and/or the loch-ness monster.

I wonder if Randall is following this thread and will now add in a seagull. I hope so!

Hey, there's ECMAScript in the source of this page!

I like this comic, and this thread.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Burton wrote:Hi!

<snip>

And I love that post <3

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

mhart1515 wrote:I hope that the comic itself has no deeper meaning than two people making a sweet sandcastle. It wouldn't surprise if Randall just let us all come up with many meanings over the entire two day duration that he posted the progression.

Ditto. A day at the beach is no more meaningful than, well, this portrayal of a day at the beach. We don't go to the beach to impute great meaning to minor activities, we go to have a pleasant, and otherwise meaningless, time. At the end, we leave with wonderful memories of having done ... nothing.

As for the XKCD audience coming up with many meanings, well, it's Randall's version of 4'33".

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

This is clearly an experiment to see how long it takes a forum full of intelligent and scientifically minded people to turn into gibbering wrecks writing page upon page of posts exclaiming "SHOW ME THE PIXEL MAN MOVE"

So far it seems to be progressing well at least.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

kaley wrote:Also, I'm really glad there is an archive being made of all the images, because there's no way I could survive staying up multiple nights to refresh my page every half hour. I'm too old.

More efficient would be to get up for 5-10 minutes every hour - check in at about five to and go back to bed as soon as the new image appears - depending on how quickly you wake up and how close you want to cut it, you could get it down to, say, ten seconds to the hour until the new frame arrives...

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

Sometimes newcomers actually read the rules beforehand?
I'm confused. When did that happen?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

I simply simply MUST peel myself away from this thread now. Despite laughing out loud at almost every post and slowly turning insane, my boyfriend is arriving in 1/3 of a half-hour and I am still sat with wet hair wrapped up in towels. He has been at work all day and I have not, and I think he is expecting to just pick me up and go to his. How do I explain to him that I was meant to get ready in the past 5 half-hours but haven't been able to as I have been watching a stick man look at a sandcastle? I have no idea.

At least if we break up I have more time to watch 'Time' :lol:

gumbo

Postby gumbo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:More efficient would be to get up for 5-10 minutes every hour - check in at about five to and go back to bed as soon as the new image appears - depending on how quickly you wake up and how close you want to cut it, you could get it down to, say, ten seconds to the hour until the new frame arrives...

Maybe you can set something up to project each new frame onto your eyelids when you're sleeping, so that it becomes part of your dream. Or someone can start a service to narrate the changes with each frame, which you could hear while you slept. The next day everyone describes their black-and-white stick figure sandcastle dreams.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
SWuh wrote:

I would love flags, and I haven't heard that theory before (although I did skip about five pages of posts :oops: )
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:I simply simply MUST peel myself away from this thread now. Despite laughing out loud at almost every post and slowly turning insane, my boyfriend is arriving in 1/3 of a half-hour and I am still sat with wet hair wrapped up in towels. He has been at work all day and I have not, and I think he is expecting to just pick me up and go to his. How do I explain to him that I was meant to get ready in the past 5 half-hours but haven't been able to as I have been watching a stick man look at a sandcastle? I have no idea.

At least if we break up I have more time to watch 'Time' :lol:

I have concerns for my levels of hygiene, malnutrition and sleep-deprivation if this comic does not end soon. A relationship would be a 'thing' too many to worry about!

Editer

Postby Editer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

ctdonath wrote:As for the XKCD audience coming up with many meanings, well, it's Randall's version of 4'33".

4'33" is 273 seconds long. Maybe this will go on for exactly 273 frames ... that would be obscure but if Randall's original storyboarding landed it in that neighborhood he might adjust to hit it exactly ...

edited 'cause I apparently can't do basic arithmetic today. :oops:
Last edited by Editer on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
SWuh wrote:

I would love flags, and I haven't heard that theory before (although I did skip about five pages of posts :oops: )

Flags were definitely mentioned, back when we thought the castle was completed after two towers joined by a little wall!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

If we're going to classify the frames into periods, perhaps we could call them the ages of sand, although they're unrelated to the ones Douglas Adams mentioned.
Last edited by Angelastic on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:You forgot:

10. "Hey, there's a javascript in the page. I can't decipher it but maybe someone else can?"

I can't believe I forgot that one. It should be #1.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts when I read your list, it's probably the most ridiculous of all the repetitions!

But to be fair, without repetitions this post would have no chance to reach #1, and we want this post to become #1 :mrgreen:
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Ayriannah wrote:personally,my top ten are frames 35, 51, 68, 73, 81, 83, 88, 102, 103, and 120 (in chronological order, not order of preference.)

I doubt that any could deny the place of frame 102 and 103; the power of the castle left alone and the fall are apparent to any suitably trained eye. While many would argue that frame 52 is more deserving of praise than frame 51, the addition of text does not add to the plot nearly so much as the quiet contemplation shown in the frame before it. This contemplation is a running theme throughout the work, and far more poignant than any needless words.

I don't know .... I just can't quite get emotionally engaged with these images. It's just too sterile, with not even one appearance from Joe Biden, let alone him eating a sandwich.
Last edited by belliott4488 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Meaningful progress in the next frame?

Five minutes to go: place your bets. I'm hopeful we'll jump to the tower repair...

maqist

Postby maqist » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:This is what it's like to be part of History.

Some excitement, some confusion, a whole lot of theorizing, and an incredible amount of boredom.

And time will tell the importance of this moment in history.

I predict that 2013-03-25 will be recorded as the start of the downfall of civilisation, or at least the start of a new Dark Ages caused by all the world's geeks being too busy watching a comic.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:
pete3442 wrote:Time in-comic is definitely slower now, whether intentional or not. Makes the frame rate discussions from earlier (around 14 - 19 when checking the water) seem apropos again.

I refer to these as 'dead times' (in my own head, of course) - basically the points at which I should have/could have/would have done something more productive than wait for the next update had I known. Time is definitely slower. Boy managed to walk all the way down to the water's edge in one frame way back when, and now it's only a flick of the head?

I took it to be he was doing more detailed work on the castle. Detail stuff takes time.

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Ardaglash wrote:"Long time listener, first time caller"... I'm surprised that no one has yet brought up 'Waiting for Godot'. It was one of the first things I thought of when I saw the alt-text, and as Time has elapsed and this thread has passed through various stages of absurd, morbid, off-topic, lighthearted, and so forth, I feel like Randall has constructed a piece of performance art with all of us included as integral players.

I thought of that too (and then, inevitably, of "Waiting for Guffman"), and I think the waiting is more the point that the arrival.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Flags were definitely mentioned, back when we thought the castle was completed after two towers joined by a little wall!

I totally looked up to see if 6 Flags owned SandCastle today. Stop reading my mind people.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Mgraba

Postby Mgraba » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Meaningful progress in the next frame?

Five minutes to go: place your bets. I'm hopeful we'll jump to the tower repair...

I think he's gonna fix it some more...
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not Sleep

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
SWuh wrote:

Flags were definitely mentioned, back when we thought the castle was completed after two towers joined by a little wall!

Lol, guess I just have selective memory then after reading so many posts over the course of three days.

You did it BlitzGirl!

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

NINJA'D <snip>

I knew it! Damn you!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Progress!

Double ninja'd - dammit! Removed the image to streamline the board.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:I have concerns for my levels of hygiene, malnutrition and sleep-deprivation if this comic does not end soon. A relationship would be a 'thing' too many to worry about!

I just did the quickest 'getting dressed' I have ever done, so I would make it back for the 'bong'.

Still have wet towel head, but now have 25 minutes where I can sort myself and my bags out.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

So, he's repairing the very last part of the damage after spending a few frames looking around to find it I guess? Then it will be all done :D And he can continue adding to the castle, with Megan coming back. I vote for a new tower on the wall he constructed differently when he repaired it.

You did it BlitzGirl!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

MULTI-BUMP (again - feel free to bump this post occasionally if I manage to tear myself away from here!)

Countdown to next update:

Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:

Live updating GIF:
Primis wrote:Image

More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):

Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sighclops

Postby Sighclops » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

[quote="SWuh"]... How do I explain to him that I was meant to get ready in the past 5 half-hours but haven't been able to as I have been watching a stick man look at a sandcastle?...
quote]

The same way I explained it to my wife last night by way of a a 25 minute monologue before my cell phone battery died.

GodRaimundo

Postby GodRaimundo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

I just shouted when I got back from the shower and saw the most recent update. I think I should go outside today, and stop living off leftover takeaway...

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
Ayriannah wrote:personally,my top ten are frames 35, 51, 68, 73, 81, 83, 88, 102, 103, and 120 (in chronological order, not order of preference.)

I doubt that any could deny the place of frame 102 and 103; the power of the castle left alone and the fall are apparent to any suitably trained eye. While many would argue that frame 52 is more deserving of praise than frame 51, the addition of text does not add to the plot nearly so much as the quiet contemplation shown in the frame before it. This contemplation is a running theme throughout the work, and far more poignant than any needless words.

I don't know .... I just can't quite get emotionally engaged with these images. It's just too sterile, with not even one appearance from Joe Biden, let alone him eating a sandwich.

Well what a surprise, you praising a Joe-Biden Sandwich picture! I bet you're one of those people who only like the ones with mayonnaise- you'd think there were no other forms of art.
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Sighclops wrote:
SWuh wrote:... How do I explain to him that I was meant to get ready in the past 5 half-hours but haven't been able to as I have been watching a stick man look at a sandcastle?...

The same way I explained it to my wife last night by way of a a 25 minute monologue before my cell phone battery died.

A 25 minute monologue? What a convenient period of time! And your battery just died? How suspicious...

* Apologies if that was the intentional joke! I read it straight, but now I'm not sure.
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:45 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:He climbed up on the castle wall... Try refreshing your browser.

I gave it an ice cold Sprite, but now all it does is spark and show a black screen.

So bad, but so funny.

Rivenwulf

Postby Rivenwulf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Again, one of the former lurkers, long-time viewer, first time caller yada yada. Just wanted to say I *love* this comic, and I've been enjoying watching the scene unfold as well as reading all of the theories and behind-the-scenes info in this forum. This community is awesome, what can I say. I really look forward to seeing what happens as we progress through this slice-of-life we have been given. :)

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Sighclops wrote:The same way I explained it to my wife last night by way of a a 25 minute monologue before my cell phone battery died.

He hasn't arrived yet, but he's due any second and I am already considering ways of ensuring that our 20 minute (internet void) journey occurs between panels. Oh dear.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Sighclops wrote:
SWuh wrote:... How do I explain to him that I was meant to get ready in the past 5 half-hours but haven't been able to as I have been watching a stick man look at a sandcastle?...
quote]

My wife gave up on me years ago, now she just turns around walks away while mumbling something about a geek.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”