1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dp2

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby dp2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
Ayriannah wrote:Um...I have a very gender-specific username.

Never having heard the name Ayriannah before, could you enlighten me as to which gender it might be specific of?

The fact that Ayriannah is miffed at being called "guy" narrows the options a bit.

Well, I'm glad we didn't get to the end of the comic without some angst being injected into this thread. I was beginning to think this wasn't the Internet.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:Until such time that the English language develops a gender-neutral pronoun system, and for as long as the male form remains the accepted default in the English language, I suggest that all further debate of the topic center solely on what might be done to address the underlying linguistic cause at its root, rather than the perceived transgressions of those using an imperfect language to communicate as clearly as they are able.

You said it, bitch!
:twisted:

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Wooloomooloo wrote:This is much bigger than all of us now... For the love of god, people - the ad/marketing industry MUST NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENED HERE, or we are all DOOMED!!! Therefore, for humanity's sake - the first rule of "Time": You don't talk about "Time"... </sarcasm>

If this was a stealth advertising campaign, it would be one of the most effective stealth advertising campaigns ever!

In my first (buried) post, I speculated that the progression would end on the 31st with the TARDIS landing on the castle.

It would be the best Doctor Who marketing EVER. Way better than that billboard in Williamsburg.

Though, to be fair, marketing effectiveness has to be measured by audience size, as well as by how ensnared the audience is. I can't imagine the number of fanatical page refreshers numbers much more than the low hundreds. Not the most wide-reaching advert.

No, but the viral aftershocks would be pretty cool.

Not that I actually believe that's how it'll end... but it would be nearly as cool as bowties.

Need an xkcd bowtie in the store (http://store.xkcd.com/).

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Image

Latest frame has this song stuck in my head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJ-oT2ZBa0

I'm sad that it may be ending :(
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

whispers

Postby whispers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

My guess is, that you will see a boat appear on the horizon and slowly get bigger. As it passes the wake will create the wave that washes out the castle leaving the sand swept clean. The guy and girl return and sit back to their original spots and the cartoon will start again from the original frame, thereby creating a continuous looping cartoon.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
riverssong wrote:Until such time that the English language develops a gender-neutral pronoun system, and for as long as the male form remains the accepted default in the English language, I suggest that all further debate of the topic center solely on what might be done to address the underlying linguistic cause at its root, rather than the perceived transgressions of those using an imperfect language to communicate as clearly as they are able.

You said it, bitch!
:twisted:

Not sure if attack, or agreement.

LOLed anyway. :lol:
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

jonat

Postby jonat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:The fact that Ayriannah is miffed at being called "guy" narrows the options a bit.

My wife and I hate it when a restaurant server refers to us as "guys". I mentally deduct from the tip each time it occurs (but tend not to reflect it in the actual tip.)

I think Ayriannah needs a few apostrophes in her name to complete the effect...

Oh, and while I've been aware of this forum for a while, I joined just because of this thread (though my other posts are in the thread for 1191).

For those keeping track, I'm male.

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spivak_pronoun </flamewar>

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:

As a theme song for "Time", I see your Perry Como and raise with a Touch and go ("life's a beach") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryalMzJhmO8

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

jonat wrote:
dp2 wrote:The fact that Ayriannah is miffed at being called "guy" narrows the options a bit.

My wife and I hate it when a restaurant server refers to us as "guys". I mentally deduct from the tip each time it occurs (but tend not to reflect it in the actual tip.)

I really don't understand this. It's not offensive to anyone but a select few people, it seems - "guys" is just another way of saying "you people" in less syllables. Does it really matter that much?

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

Magnap wrote:
Ayriannah wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Srt252 wrote:How is this so very captivating???

Anyway I think we should just complete our full transition into comic 915 now.

I think frame 97 is the best so far. "Complete" castle with head looking right totally beats frame 98 with head looking left. Although the utter chaos of 103 evokes some cosmic ponderings that are unequaled by other frames.

If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - NOW : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period). Still in progress! How exciting!

My favourite is frame 26, It symbolises more hope than any of the other ones. Also frame 20, because I find woman who shake their hair sexy.

Discuss!

personally,my top ten are frames 35, 51, 68, 73, 81, 83, 88, 102, 103, and 120 (in chronological order, not order of preference.)

I doubt that any could deny the place of frame 102 and 103; the power of the castle left alone and the fall are apparent to any suitably trained eye. While many would argue that frame 52 is more deserving of praise than frame 51, the addition of text does not add to the plot nearly so much as the quiet contemplation shown in the frame before it. This contemplation is a running theme throughout the work, and far more poignant than any needless words.

Well, taking your cue about contemplation, I find frame 120 to be a far more satisfying frame than 121, as it has an air of blissful ignorance of the sorry state of the leftmost turret over it, where 121 is a more startling and sudden realization.

Hmm suddenly frame 16 is my new favorite. It proves the existence of WATER! Surely this is the most important of all the frames, it sets the scene! We may not even have been certain is was on a beach had 16 not happened. It truly is a majestic frame.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

Sunny wrote:
Ayriannah wrote:
belliott4488 wrote: :shock: :shock:

That brings up an important point (important only in the context of conversations that take place while waiting around for events that occur twice per hour) - why is it okay to call a bunch of girls or women "you guys" but it is wrong to refer to one girl or woman as a "guy"? I don't get that.

I also don't get why it's okay to address a girl as "dude", so I'm clearly confused.

It's all in how it's said; calling a group 'you guys has the same connotation be it mostly (or entirely) female as it does when used for an evenly mixed or male-heavy group; it's an informal way of saying 'this group of people'. 'Dude', drawing its pop-culture roots from surfers, feels very laid-back, and is nearly always meant to be non-offensive. 'Guy' and boy/man, however, are used entirely interchangeably, and have a much more definitive 'I am calling you male' connotation. Directly calling a girl a 'guy' is like calling a guy a 'girl': works in some, very specific circumstances, but causes offense in most others.

That said- I am really not offended. I was just a little put out, and didn't want the mistake to continue.

To be honest, I think you're being a bit too sensitive about the whole thing. Your username really isn't that gender-specific - I wouldn't have known you were a girl unless you had said it, and it wasn't like he was calling you a guy in a mean and derogatory way. It really shouldn't matter at all.

I did say I wasn't really offended. In that specific post, I was merely answering belliott4488's question. It really doesn't matter very much, it the long run. I just have issues (which I would rather not discuss) involving childhood bullies, and it bothers me to a minor degree. I was stating my preference, in a way that might generate interesting discussion. I repeat my earlier "does not want flame war. Does not want."
I have honestly never before gotten the impression that my username wasn't obviously feminine. Perhaps it's just differing audiences, but most people assume I'm a girl. It was an odd and interesting anomaly, and in my attempts to take up some of the 25-minute breaks, I commented.

Speaking of 25 minute breaks... only 3 minutes until a possible second 'sandcastle only' frame. who's excited? (or the opposite?)
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

The only thing I'm thinking at the moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkB5-BHxKZI
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

pete3442

Postby pete3442 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

yaddayadda wrote:

I'm a big fan of ze/hir https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-ne ... un#Summary
bouer wrote:We're not creating a new civilization. The simultaneous distraction of most of the worlds engineers and tech support just caused the old one to fall away.

NoEdge wrote:I feel like we're close to starting a religion, if we haven't already.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

He's gone :(
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

jonat

Postby jonat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Sunny wrote:I really don't understand this. It's not offensive to anyone but a select few people, it seems - "guys" is just another way of saying "you people" in less syllables. Does it really matter that much?

No, not really. I think "folks" is a perfectly good gender-neutral substitute, though.

P.S. You meant "fewer syllables".

Xantix

Postby Xantix » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

To anyone wondering about gender-neutral English:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... er-neutral
http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... -guys?lq=1
http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... forms?rq=1

basically, 'guys' can be mixed, but guy is pretty much always male.

Using 'they' is about the only alternative we have left.

Anyway, I thought the comic had ended last night before going to bed, with Cueball finishing the castle and looking around, finding himself alone. Time passed and left him unmatured, still liking sand castles and ball pits, while Megan moved on.

I'm glad it didn't end there.

takaia

Postby takaia » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Augh! No! He's gone! Why did he leave?!?!

Nazdar

Postby Nazdar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Mr. Munroe wrote:“When I was a kid, I was had an irrationally powerful fear of tsunamis (Etymology-Man would suggest “cymophobia”). I swam in the ocean a lot when I was very young, so waves were a big part of my world. I would fret about tsunamis whenever I was near the coast, and to this day I have occasional nightmares about a wave coming out of nowhere and sweeping me away.”
Source: Blag, Jan 2012

The sand castle is doomed.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Ayriannah wrote:
Speaking of 25 minute breaks... only 3 minutes until a possible second 'sandcastle only' frame. who's excited? (or the opposite?)

... first sandcastle only frame... right? I'm beginning to question my sanity, too...

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:The only thing I'm thinking at the moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkB5-BHxKZI

...that is ...frightening... what movie is that from?
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Ayriannah wrote:I did say I wasn't really offended. In that specific post, I was merely answering belliott4488's question. It really doesn't matter very much, it the long run. I just have issues (which I would rather not discuss) involving childhood bullies, and it bothers me to a minor degree. I was stating my preference, in a way that might generate interesting discussion. I repeat my earlier "does not want flame war. Does not want."
I have honestly never before gotten the impression that my username wasn't obviously feminine. Perhaps it's just differing audiences, but most people assume I'm a girl. It was an odd and interesting anomaly, and in my attempts to take up some of the 25-minute breaks, I commented.

Yeah, I get that about the bullies - all throughout middle school, people would call me "he" and even "it" on purpose, made me a little overly sensitive for a while and caused me to dress very girly for a while too (of course, it didn't work : P). I am pretty bad at names on the Internet, however - after meeting a man named Hillary I just decided that names aren't the best indication of gender anyway.

I'm excited! Personally, I think he's going to leave, and the sand castle will slowly erode away.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:Serenity

are we naming the frames now? that would be cool.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

English has gender-neutral singular pronouns already, it doesn't need more.

If one thought about it for a while, one might come up with an example.

Or if they thought longer, they might come up with two.

How often does one refer to a single specific person without knowing their gender, as opposed to referring to a single non-specific person who could be of either gender, like I just did here? I'm sure the former case is uncommon enough to get by with the words we have. We just need to get people to stop assuming "he" for other-people-on-the-Internet, since that assumption isn't as correct as it was 20 years ago.

(Holy crap, I've been on the Internet for over 20 years.)

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Right, this is it: it's presumably either going to advance to a different plot from this point onwards, or become significantly less interesting to stare at for hours on end.

Who thinks that this is the final slide?

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Ayriannah wrote:
Grepus wrote:The only thing I'm thinking at the moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkB5-BHxKZI

It's Sloth from The Goonies... I now feel very old :(

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Ayriannah wrote:
Grepus wrote:Serenity

are we naming the frames now? that would be cool.

It was the first word that came to mind when I saw the "person-less" scene

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Right, this is it: it's presumably either going to advance to a different plot from this point onwards, or become significantly less interesting to stare at for hours on end.

Agreed, if there's no difference after the next gong, I'll struggle to stay at my PC until the subsequent one...

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Ayriannah wrote:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

arjan

Postby arjan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

I have an eerie feeling the next frame will be... the SAME FRAME!

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:
mojacardave wrote:Right, this is it: it's presumably either going to advance to a different plot from this point onwards, or become significantly less interesting to stare at for hours on end.

Agreed, if there's no difference after the next gong, I'll struggle to stay at my PC until the subsequent one...

Depends on whether the url hash is different in 30 min.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

yaddayadda wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's just Scottish.

racetalker660

Postby racetalker660 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

For me, this is the most fascinating comic since ROVER...I was immediately taken aback by what I felt was a mystery. I had no understanding whatsoever of what he was talking about until I saw the comic changing. Even now, I really am having trouble understanding the point behind this one, but as usual, I am very entertained. It tends to break up a day full of user and hardware issues.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Ayriannah wrote:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!

I hope you feel as old as I do...

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

patzer wrote:Image
He's gone :(

And I believe that's the end of another of manvandmaan's eras and the start of the predicted "watching the castle erode" period.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

fixer

Postby fixer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

arjan wrote:I have an eerie feeling the next frame will be... the SAME FRAME!

In a couple of hours the far left corner he's already repaired twice will fall down again.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

</flamewar>

Please help me stop this off topic gender neutral thing!! Post all other comments to: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=101095

(Like this is ever going to happen, but I will at least try....)
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

As a theme song for "Time", I see your Perry Como and raise with a Touch and go ("life's a beach") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryalMzJhmO8

For me, the song I've had stuck in my head this whole time is "Time" by Hootie and the Blowfish.
"Time,
Why you punish me?
Like a wave crashing into the shore, you wash away my dreams.
Time,
Why you walk away?
Like a friend with somewhere to go, you left me cryin'

Can you teach me 'bout tomorrow and all the pain and sorrow,
Runnin' free?
'Cause tomorrow's just another day, and I don't believe in time."

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Sunny wrote:"you people"

Good luck with that one :P

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”