1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Wraithlord

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Wraithlord » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

So now the discussion can begin:

Will anyone ever return to this deteriorating sand castle, or will it collapse into nothingness?
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:So. It has come to this. Measuring out our real lives by the number of Time updates something will take.

I suppose by this point I could measure out the past two days by loss of productivity for want of not missing the next update. Anyone able to come up with a algorithm for that?

I suppose I can't help but think the whole thing will be washed away over the next however-many-hours Randall is willing to keep us glued to our screens. It would certainly seem fitting. They began building it together, she left first, he finished what they started and is left with nothing else. Walk away and let the tide roll in, I suppose. I'm too depressed to be productive, now. Guess I'll just keep watching and waiting.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Spoiler:
patzer wrote:
mojacardave wrote:MULTI-BUMP (again - feel free to bump this post occasionally if I manage to tear myself away from here!)

Countdown to next update:

Latest frame (auto updates):

Live updating GIF:
Primis wrote:Image

More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):

Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):

manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - NOW: the deserted period (?) Still in progress! How exciting!

Discuss!

Bump for new page
Last edited by patzer on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
essaunders wrote:on one level I'm ready for it to end (so I can stop checking this thread!)

I have a feeling that whenever this ends, it's gonna be like the end of The Truman Show. Everybody just kinda tries to figure out what there is to do other than watch Truman.

Some of us will finally check the new comic and What-If (is there a new What-If?).
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:There is a tiny difference in the last two images: check the wall to the left above the gate, a few grains of sand fell off.

Edit: there are a few more such tiny changes, if you look very carefully while toggling between the images. One on the inside of the gate, one on the third turret from the left.

If we keep getting such tiny changes from now on, it will be months and months before the castle is gone. If that's the case, Randall might have written something to do this programmatically, that shouldn't be too difficult, and a lot less work than making thousands of frames by hand.

– Michael
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

DarkestDay

Postby DarkestDay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Am I the only one hoping for a tide to slowly rise and take their sand castle out to sea. Only to have two different male and female characters arrive and sit in the first positions from frame 1?

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:Actually, it got me thinking about why we assume the genders of the characters in the comic. That then broadened to how we know the gender of ANY xkcd character. Hair? Ridiculous. Clothing? Being intimate with another character? Please -- are you paying attention to what's happening in the Supreme Court this week (maybe some of you aren't because you'r'e too busy with this comic)?

So, everyone's assignment between frames is this: pick a regular xkcd character and find the first proof of that character's gender within a comic.

Go!

I call Megan!! http://xkcd.com/631/
Last edited by belliott4488 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Grepus wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
lovepirate wrote:
Wooloomooloo wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
mojacardave wrote:Image

Latest frame has this song stuck in my head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJ-oT2ZBa0

I'm sad that it may be ending :(

As a theme song for "Time", I see your Perry Como and raise with a Touch and go ("life's a beach") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryalMzJhmO8

For me, the song I've had stuck in my head this whole time is "Time" by Hootie and the Blowfish.
"Time,
Why you punish me?
Like a wave crashing into the shore, you wash away my dreams.
Time,
Why you walk away?
Like a friend with somewhere to go, you left me cryin'

Can you teach me 'bout tomorrow and all the pain and sorrow,
Runnin' free?
'Cause tomorrow's just another day, and I don't believe in time."

It's still the same old story
The fight for love and glory
A case of do or die
The world will always welcome lovers
As time... goes... by...

Tiiiiiiime is on my side, yes it is...

As long as there's sand and
as long as there's sea
as long as their's time
I'll wait hopefully...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApiUC-R5_6Q

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
Till Eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

between3and30characters.

Postby between3and30characters. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
essaunders wrote:on one level I'm ready for it to end (so I can stop checking this thread!)

I have a feeling that whenever this ends, it's gonna be like the end of The Truman Show. Everybody just kinda tries to figure out what there is to do other than watch Truman.

I suspect we're still quite a ways from this though.

Assassine

Postby Assassine » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

wow. There i am going shopping and stuff for a couple of hours only to come back and see you guys write 15 pages! Ive been reading everything so far but thats too much to keep up.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
dp2 wrote:
KroniK907 wrote:</flamewar>

Please help me stop this off topic gender neutral thing!! Post all other comments to: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=101095

(Like this is ever going to happen, but I will at least try....)

Actually, it got me thinking about why we assume the genders of the characters in the comic. That then broadened to how we know the gender of ANY xkcd character. Hair? Ridiculous. Clothing? Being intimate with another character? Please -- are you paying attention to what's happening in the Supreme Court this week (maybe some of you aren't because you'r'e too busy with this comic)?

So, everyone's assignment between frames is this: pick a regular xkcd character and find the first proof of that character's gender within a comic.

Go!

Heh. I knew that if no other, that comic would work as proof.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

I really enjoyed this one. Loved the idea that was floated that Randall might have written a script to generate the animation, so I created one to test the idea. It's at my website (kieryn dot com) under path ~/xkcd-time

themanofmeung

Postby themanofmeung » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet, but I am going to guess cycle. Sort of like a less violent and much longer 381.

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

Yup, definitely some changes
Spoiler:

I know it's done in paint, but it's for science!
EDIT: This is basically 915 in action. Randall you're a genius for getting a group of people obsessed over minuscule changes in pictures, and getting them to analyse changes in the opacity of certain pixels.
Last edited by TheLochNessCheeseBurger on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

micdi

Postby micdi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Wooloomooloo wrote:This is much bigger than all of us now... For the love of god, people - the ad/marketing industry MUST NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENED HERE, or we are all DOOMED!!! Therefore, for humanity's sake - the first rule of "Time": You don't talk about "Time"... </sarcasm>

If this was a stealth advertising campaign, it would be one of the most effective stealth advertising campaigns ever!

In my first (buried) post, I speculated that the progression would end on the 31st with the TARDIS landing on the castle.

It would be the best Doctor Who marketing EVER. Way better than that billboard in Williamsburg.

Though, to be fair, marketing effectiveness has to be measured by audience size, as well as by how ensnared the audience is. I can't imagine the number of fanatical page refreshers numbers much more than the low hundreds. Not the most wide-reaching advert.

I haven't done much at work today, but I'm in the office later than I normally stay. I need to leave my computer on until 5:30. And then I need to get home within 25 minutes!

I know this has been posted a while back, just wanted to point out, that there are some 800 people watching this thread alone, so who knows how many actually check the comic regularly...

maqist

Postby maqist » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:I call Megan!! http://xkcd.com/631/

Am I right in thinking Megan is the one show in Plate 18: Erect Penis?

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Aubronwood's "double last image" feature has flipped from a helpful indicator as to which is the most recent update to a somewhat confusing "was that two or three images with no change" feature.
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

...so, when does the little bird show up to sharpen its beak?

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
dp2 wrote:So, everyone's assignment between frames is this: pick a regular xkcd character and find the first proof of that character's gender within a comic.

Go!

Heh. I knew that if no other, that comic would work as proof.

Well, as the most anatomically explicit xkcd ever, it was kind of a no-brainer! 8-)

arjan

Postby arjan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

trusstopher wrote:Aubronwood's "double last image" feature has flipped from a helpful indicator as to which is the most recent update to a somewhat confusing "was that two or three images with no change" feature.

There's a handy counter in the top left of the screen.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

KroniK907 wrote:</flamewar>

Please help me stop this off topic gender neutral thing!! Post all other comments to: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=101095

(Like this is ever going to happen, but I will at least try....)

I'm posting this with the added hint that any of these off-topics can become on-topic with their own thread. In the appropriate forum these discussions are quite welcome. *invites all to create cool topics*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Darkfusion

Postby Darkfusion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

That gender pronoun/name discussion was a fun read. We're just ~135 replies away from #1 now.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

trusstopher wrote:Aubronwood's "double last image" feature has flipped from a helpful indicator as to which is the most recent update to a somewhat confusing "was that two or three images with no change" feature.

Yup - you have to pay attention to the frame counter at the upper left. I get that frames 125 and 126 are currently the two most recent ones. (Frame 126 gets repeated as frame 127 when you're moving forward, but if you go back from frame 1 it goes right to frame 126.)

benjaminswill

Postby benjaminswill » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

I'm having the urge to just post "Wait for it." as a reply to every message.

wingless

Postby wingless » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

I keep thinking of the Hendrix song, "Castles made of sand." Perhaps this castle will fall into the sea, eventually...

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
dp2 wrote:Actually, it got me thinking about why we assume the genders of the characters in the comic. That then broadened to how we know the gender of ANY xkcd character. Hair? Ridiculous. Clothing? Being intimate with another character? Please -- are you paying attention to what's happening in the Supreme Court this week (maybe some of you aren't because you'r'e too busy with this comic)?

Go!

Nope! This one is earlier! http://xkcd.com/583/

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

arjan wrote:

There's a handy counter in the top left of the screen.

Right, but if you didn't follow this thread closely and only saw one of the "best posts bump", would you know that even though the counter changes the last two are the same.... on purpose, maybe?
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Grepus wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
lovepirate wrote:
Wooloomooloo wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
mojacardave wrote:Image

Latest frame has this song stuck in my head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJ-oT2ZBa0

I'm sad that it may be ending :(

As a theme song for "Time", I see your Perry Como and raise with a Touch and go ("life's a beach") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryalMzJhmO8

For me, the song I've had stuck in my head this whole time is "Time" by Hootie and the Blowfish.
"Time,
Why you punish me?
Like a wave crashing into the shore, you wash away my dreams.
Time,
Why you walk away?
Like a friend with somewhere to go, you left me cryin'

Can you teach me 'bout tomorrow and all the pain and sorrow,
Runnin' free?
'Cause tomorrow's just another day, and I don't believe in time."

It's still the same old story
The fight for love and glory
A case of do or die
The world will always welcome lovers
As time... goes... by...

Tiiiiiiime is on my side, yes it is...

As long as there's sand and
as long as there's sea
as long as their's time
I'll wait hopefully...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApiUC-R5_6Q

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
Till Eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you...

But now I'm building...
Sandcastles in the sand (Sandcastles in the sand)
Thought I could fly when you held my hand (Thought I could fly)
Eternity turns to black and white
It was the greatest week and a half of my life
Mgraba wrote:He who watches Time already waits for it.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

maqist wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:I call Megan!! http://xkcd.com/631/

Am I right in thinking Megan is the one show in Plate 18: Erect Penis?

ooh ... good point! We don't really know whose parts are being shown in Plates 15 & 16, do we??
:wink:

Rivenwulf

Postby Rivenwulf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

I can't imagine I would just sit and watch a sand castle in real life. Yet here I am, doing exactly that virtually. Maybe I should get out and go sit and contemplate a real beach more.
Regardless, this is brilliant.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
dp2 wrote:So, everyone's assignment between frames is this: pick a regular xkcd character and find the first proof of that character's gender within a comic.

Go!

Curse you!! You win.

fixer

Postby fixer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

benjaminswill wrote:I'm having the urge to just post "Wait for it." as a reply to every message.

Wait for it...
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

fixer wrote:
benjaminswill wrote:I'm having the urge to just post "Wait for it." as a reply to every message.

Wait for it...

Wait for it.
Mgraba wrote:He who watches Time already waits for it.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

inhalvast wrote:
fixer wrote:

Wait for it...

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

New observation for this scientific experiment we're all allowing ourselves to take part in:

I find that if I see a clock that says x:57, I panic, because I'm not physically at my computer.
Last edited by TheMulattoMaker on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

micdi

Postby micdi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

inhalvast wrote:
fixer wrote:

Wait for it...

Wait for it.

Vogons

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:

Go!

Curse you!! You win.

<truestory>Fun fact: I started going from xkcd.com/1, but after about 10 panels I got impatient. I then decided to go with Random, and there it was! </truestory>

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:(I humbly submit that we begin measuring time in "newpix", equal to thirty standard minutes.

That unmatched left parenthesis creates so much tension. I spent far too long trying to find the right one.

Anyway, we're going to find out if the castle is going to stay this way for much longer in just two minutes. I think that Megan will come back and be surprised to see that Cueball hadn't waited for her.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

I'll leave it to the experts to tell me if anyting changed. :?:
Last edited by TheMulattoMaker on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hm8

Postby hm8 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”