1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pha » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
mdistancerunner wrote:... So one pixel got a little darker. My utility doesn't give me the coordinates, but it looks like it's on the right side of the image. A wave?

Uh oh... Tsunami alert. :wink:

LOL! :lol:

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

If the water begins movement now why has it not in previous images? Was time stopped when they made this castle?

Roia

Postby Roia » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL.

I want that on a t-shirt...
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

10thDoctor

Postby 10thDoctor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Sighclops wrote:
enumerated powers wrote:Wow. Look at the number of people with a significant number of posts who joined yesterday.

/raises hand.

Long time lurker. Finally joined to "take part" in this.

Same here. Actually, I thought that I had set up an account a few years ago, but a quick check showed that I was mistaken.

And since this is my first post using this account, have you guys noticed the JavaScript in the source? Maybe the comic is a metaphor for something? I know that there's 49 pages of posts in this thread, but I'm pretty sure nobody else could have thought of either of my ideas!

</s>

Edit: Number of pages jumped up.
Last edited by 10thDoctor on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:

Wait for it.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Ugh! I'm trying to catch up on reading this thread, but after every page I finish one more is added. *sigh*
Long catch-up post ahead. Sorry.

Current frame and the reiteration of "wait for it..." it might be that this is the place where "wait for it" was always meant to apply! Clarify: "punchline" or endpoint will follow some waiting. Guess: ends with Friday's related comic.

Grepus wrote:Just wanted to ask... does nobody else find it odd that when he left, they said goodbye to each other, but when she left she simply walks away?

Girls are sometimes just that way. Though, she was nice enough to respond to his "Later". Yeah, I risk sounding sexist. Unless I'm a girl... :wink:

deusrex wrote:Fortunately, I don't appear to have as critical of a case of OCD as others around here and I am able to allow myself to miss some of the image updates. Un/Fortunately, my OCD requires me to read every post in this thread. I'm waiting for the thread to start growing faster than I can read it, in which case I will really be in trouble.

Un/Lucky you. That's my problem too. [see top of post]

SWuh wrote:I simply simply MUST peel myself away from this thread now. Despite laughing out loud at almost every post and slowly turning insane, my boyfriend is arriving in 1/3 of a half-hour and I am still sat with wet hair wrapped up in towels. He has been at work all day and I have not, and I think he is expecting to just pick me up and go to his. How do I explain to him that I was meant to get ready in the past 5 half-hours but haven't been able to as I have been watching a stick man look at a sandcastle? I have no idea.

At least if we break up I have more time to watch 'Time' :lol:

Too funny. It's like, "I was staring at this stick[-figure man]. Yeah, no, I'm not insane." lol
[unquoted follow-ups by SWuh]
The continued saga of you getting ready and (probably) sneaking your schedule around this comic. hehe!

chief1983 wrote:Registered just to be the bearer of some bad news.
It's too late. I work for an online marketing company, and well, there's quite a few of us watching this already...

How would this be used? By making actually (sorta) interesting content for people to view as advertisement so that people are interested enough to buy things and not just pestered into it (drilled into our heads)? Might be good.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
mittfh wrote:Since I noticed that we've passed a significant number of pages on this thread, perhaps we're heading towards a total of 1,764 frames?

Alternatively, a multiple of 24, 60 or 1,440.

Moving away from strictly time-based numbers, others with a mathematical theme: 1,414 / 1,732 / 2,236 / 2,718 / 3,141 / 6,283 (OK, the last is perhaps overkill!)

Missing 1337.

...And 1190, this comic's number.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:Actually, it got me thinking about why we assume the genders of the characters in the comic. That then broadened to how we know the gender of ANY xkcd character. Hair? Ridiculous. Clothing? Being intimate with another character? Please -- are you paying attention to what's happening in the Supreme Court this week (maybe some of you aren't because you'r'e too busy with this comic)?

So, everyone's assignment between frames is this: pick a regular xkcd character and find the first proof of that character's gender within a comic.

Go!

finding the first proof sounds difficult... finding proof, for many of them, is easy but the first one?

In the first 50 or so, identifying characters can be difficult. depending on whether you count them as Cueball, comics 12, 38, and 57 could each realistically be the first definitive proof of Cueball's gender; in 12, hatguy calls him 'man', in 38, he's called 'Dad'. In 57, Cueball (recognizably so) has an affair in 90 seconds, with a woman, and a child results, proving that he is, at least biologically, male.

In 57, dark-haired girl (who may or may not be megan) identifies herself as the 'girl in the lighthouse'. in 108, anther megan-possible is identified as a girl.

In 84, Light-haired ponytail girl is identified as she in the title text.

weird hair guy (I don't know his real name) is referred to as he in comic 119.

(more characters to come... and I win the megan war.)
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

This has to be the most heavily analyzed 0.000556 fps movie of a sandcastle being constructed in history. So cheers.

arjan

Postby arjan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Did noone open the PNGs in UltraEdit yet? It has dates for each picture that differ!

date:create 2013-03-25T05:46:52+00:00 date:modify 2013-03-25T05:46:52+00:00
date:create 2013-03-25T06:54:32+00:00 date:modify 2013-03-25T06:54:32+00:00

A whole new research area!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:This has to be the most heavily analyzed 0.000556 fps movie of a sandcastle being constructed in history. So cheers.

how many other .000556 fps movies of a sandcastle being constructed are there?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

enumerated powers

Postby enumerated powers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

I've been looking at the last few, playing with brightness and contrast, looking for the 'secret message' in the black (or in the sky) written with a color only one or two color values off from the surroundings.

No luck yet.

Remember 1005 where the black protest of the SOPA law contained a secret message?

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

If you enjoyed this comic, you will really enjoy the Pitch Drop Experiment.

http://smp.uq.edu.au/content/pitch-drop-experiment

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Re: which character would get pregnant (since I haven't posted enough)

The character requesting the creation of a child says "can you do me", which at least in my book means that character is female. If it was the other way around, the proper phrasing would be "can I do you". Likewise, "without a condom" would make the other character male

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

IMMINENT FLOOD WARNING!!!!!!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

I don't think we can really analyze a couple pixels change as significant, especially when we weren't looking for meaning in every pixel in earlier frames. We're just gonna have to play the waiting game now. 1 minute.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Editer

Postby Editer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

Avendit

Postby Avendit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

mdistancerunner wrote:I can't believe no one has done this yet...

I did a pixel to pixel comparison and a single pixel went from RGB: (0x78, 0x78, 0x78) to (0x28, 0x28, 0x28).

So one pixel got a little darker. My utility doesn't give me the coordinates, but it looks like it's on the right side of the image. A wave?

Could just be an aliasing error? I've always assumed these are created at higher res than what they are displayed on screen.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

enumerated powers wrote:I've been looking at the last few, playing with brightness and contrast, looking for the 'secret message' in the black (or in the sky) written with a color only one or two color values off from the surroundings.

No luck yet.

Remember 1005 where the black protest of the SOPA law contained a secret message?

WHAT THE HELL!? I didn't know that.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Tsunami water level rising/falling (need more posts so I can quote)

Tsunamis can rise before dropping back depending on how they are initiated.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunami#Drawback
Last edited by jello34543 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Roia wrote:
riverssong wrote:

I want that on a t-shirt...

Me too. A self-referential one that involves "and all I got was a T-shirt that says".
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

mdistancerunner

Postby mdistancerunner » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Pixel analysis of new image:

At least 5 or 6 pixels changed!!! It looks like they're in the middle of the image.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

azule wrote:I don't think we can really analyze a couple pixels change as significant, especially when we weren't looking for meaning in every pixel in earlier frames. We're just gonna have to play the waiting game now. 1 minute.

I carefully rewatched the gifs, paying close attention to the water. At least on my iPad screen, it looks as if there's some variation of the darkness in some top level pixels.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Did no one post the new one?
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

In the new one, the entire castle shifted a bit to the right. Landslide?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:If you enjoyed this comic, you will really enjoy the Pitch Drop Experiment.

http://smp.uq.edu.au/content/pitch-drop-experiment

Yes! I wanted to mention this too, but I totally forgot that I wanted to... :mrgreen:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

hm8

Postby hm8 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

Camera pan left? lol

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

There's a new flat area of sand just to the right of the bridge. Is the whole right side of the castle sliding into the water?
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

jello34543 wrote:Re: which character would get pregnant (since I haven't posted enough)

The character requesting the creation of a child says "can you do me", which at least in my book means that character is female. If it was the other way around, the proper phrasing would be "can I do you". Likewise, "without a condom" would make the other character male

I would say you have a point, although the "can you do me" makes the other character male, but does not necessarily make the speaking character female. If the speaking character has a basic sense of biology and is rational enough to refrain from futile attempts, then yes, the character has to be female. On the other hand, the whole: make baby for bug testing is rather irrational.

So what we really established is that the other character is male...

mdistancerunner

Postby mdistancerunner » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

I think the castle is eroding. Not enough changed for it to be a camera pan. You can see little movements in castle though.

mexaboy

Postby mexaboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:
lovepirate wrote:
inhalvast wrote:
fixer wrote:
benjaminswill wrote:I'm having the urge to just post "Wait for it." as a reply to every message.

Wait for it...

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Waitception.

Wait for it.

for it Wait.

There is no wait.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:
enumerated powers wrote:I've been looking at the last few, playing with brightness and contrast, looking for the 'secret message' in the black (or in the sky) written with a color only one or two color values off from the surroundings.

No luck yet.

WHAT THE HELL!? I didn't know that.

I have such crappy monitor that I can see it clearly without needing to do anything with the image. :D
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

micdi

Postby micdi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

mexaboy wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:
lovepirate wrote:
inhalvast wrote:
fixer wrote:
benjaminswill wrote:I'm having the urge to just post "Wait for it." as a reply to every message.

Wait for it...

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Waitception.

Wait for it.

for it Wait.

There is no wait.

The wait is a lie?

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

the images are still changing i hope?

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

One thing I've found interesting is to watch the whole thing backwards on http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/. It's rather fun to watch them destroy the castle, then build it up again.
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

mexaboy wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:
lovepirate wrote:
inhalvast wrote:
fixer wrote:

Wait for it...

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Waitception.

Wait for it.

for it Wait.

There is no wait.

Yo dawg, I heard you like waiting, so I put a waiting in your wait so you can wait while you wait.
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It

arjan

Postby arjan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

The first image has creation date 2013-03-25T00:26:49+00:00
The last till now 2013-03-25T06:54:32+00:00

So that's about 3 minutes/frame.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:

AND THEN
I DID IT AGAIN.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

edsteen

Postby edsteen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Only 50 more replies to make this the most replied to forum...

Aenea

Postby Aenea » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

(Signed up to say this)

Here's the part where nothing substantial happens until April Fools Day. So just "Wait for it!" lol

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”