1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

10thDoctor wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Well, hello, sweetie.

So, when are we? Have we done the Byzantium yet? We're at the Slow-Mo-XKCD right now...

Have we even done the Library yet? You look VERY young.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Yes, we are definitely zooming out! Maybe it's not the end. Maybe it's another #1110 but instead of click and drag, you have to wait for it. :D
Last edited by NoMouse on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

willyshop

Postby willyshop » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

I don't think it's panning; only the left side of the frame is moving. The shoreline doesn't seam to shift; looks to me like the left side is getting compressed.
If you look at the far left, there's a little patch of sand coming in from outer frame. It seams to shift relative to the sand below it. I'll bet there's a bulldozer coming in from out of frame, or maybe a landslide.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Mindor wrote:
Crissa wrote:The pixels in the middle are not shifting as far as the pixels on the left and I see no shift in the pixels in the water.

The water level is a higher pixel levels than the first frame, but that happened early on, people have mentioned it many times and it never exceeded this level.

Are we zooming out, maybe? Left camera rotate? I had assumed for a moment it was merely changing from manually created to an automated production.

-Crissa

Yes zooming out. The top edges of the castle have shifted down as well.

Yes, but remember, there's a bit of a downhill slope so the edges could shift down just from sliding/panning without zooming.,
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

NoEdge wrote:If the scene is panning, then that opens up limitless possibilities; the two characters could be just out of view, maybe building a much cooler castle, or there could be a city of raptors, or an invasion of red spiders, or black hat guy terrorizing children, or... (fill in theory of your choice here.)
However, is the castle is just sliding, then there could be something behind it. The possibilities are limited to things small enough to fit behind the castle, but there are still endless possibilities of what might be there. I guess we just have to...
Wait for it.

There are entire galaxies behind the castle according to Umwelt, out to get you when you're not looking.
Wait for it

BJ Nemeth

Postby BJ Nemeth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

The frame definitely just shifted slightly to the left! (So the castle appeared to shift slightly to the right.)

riverssong wrote:
I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL.

I want this on a t-shirt underneath the image of the sandcastle.

arjan

Postby arjan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Does anyone know how Randall creates this comic? Is it a 2D -scanner or a camera for instance?

shashwat986

Postby shashwat986 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Here's the new one. (I think)

EDIT: Woo! Post 50!
Last edited by shashwat986 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin -- Tim Vine

louspinuso

Postby louspinuso » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Uhmm, does anyone else see this as zooming out very slowly now?

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:
riverssong wrote:

What he/she said. Really.

Well, I also want #1184 on a t-shirt, but that's a different subject.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

More sliding.
I don't think it's panning, the waterline doesn't appear to move much. I also don't think it's zooming out, the castle is being compressed horizontally, but there isn't any noticeable vertical change.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

arjan wrote:Does anyone know how Randall creates this comic? Is it a 2D -scanner or a camera for instance?

I would be very surprised if he drew them out on paper then scanned them. It is apparent to me (not in any way an artist or graphics expert) that he draws them on some sort of computer. Maybe he uses a stylus/pad of some sort to get that hand-drawn feel/look.

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

I hate to be one of those people that joined today, but hey, I'm one of those people that joined today. Hi! Been lurking for years now. Anyways.

All I wanted to say is...
Spoiler:
My gut feeling is that time is now dilating and this is turning into an animation. Think about it...

* If he started out with each frame of a ~30fps animation, people would have gotten bored of it too quickly. This way he built up a story first, before switching up 'Time' and turning it to a movie
* It's pretty obvious that his followers would have converted the images into animated gifs and scrollable movies. It's the kind of thing we(well, not me, I am just inviting myself to the 'we-ness') do. This makes the transition more obvious/inevitable.
* If he switches to animation techniques from here on in, his workload will be somewhat reduced, I think.
* The slow, but gradually increasing movement of the scene right now seems like individual frames of a typical animation. When you go through them fast on aubronwood, it looks almost fluid.
* I am wrong, I have to be. No chance a newbie can come screeching in here and be right. So just ignore me!

Tom...

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

arjan wrote:Does anyone know how Randall creates this comic? Is it a 2D -scanner or a camera for instance?

Pretty sure it is all digital now. Camera is almost certianly out of the question.

And the way that there is almost no change in most of the image for each update, it seems obvious to me that he is making all of the changes digitally as well. Lining it up so perfectly seems like it would be difficult via scanner, not to mention the sheer repetition of making 120+ frames by hand...
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

kaley

Postby kaley » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Distance, I see zooming not panning.

Also, I like sand castles. It's been awhile since I mentioned.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I also don't think it's zooming out, the castle is being compressed horizontally, but there isn't any noticeable vertical change.

There IS a vertical change. The top of the castle is moving down, while the waterline stays. It is indeed zooming out.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

jtomjack

Postby jtomjack » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
BJ Nemeth wrote:
riverssong wrote:

What he/she said. Really.

Well, I also want #1184 on a t-shirt, but that's a different subject.

I want this shirt SO BAD

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

I think one the aspects of this entire "experience" that I find the most interesting is how quickly my perspective of time change can shift. Take for example the change from 117 to 118 (or any other very minor shift throughout) - when it happened, I had an reaction very similar to everyone else of frustration with a feeling of "that's it???", but now that about 10 newpix have passed since that event I go back and look through the progression of images and slight movement that frustrated me so much before seems much more natural and "as it should be". I guess I'd expect re-watching the progression of images to recall the same thoughts/feels I had as I watched it in real-time, if only in a purely "nostalgic" way, but that isn't even close to being the case. What has been experience over the last 3 updates has been extremely frustrating for those who are wanting to see progress, but I imagine that if this does last even 10 images longer, looking back on this short time of little change would hardly be remembered as a "slow frustrating time" but more as a quick, necessary transition.

I feel like this really does apply to a much more macro scale of time. I can only image that being "then and there" post revolutionary war (or any war for that matter) the over all sentiment was probably along the lines of "this really sucks" and "I don't know how we will ever get past this" but as more time falls between the present that such an event, history (in terms of temporal distance) does an amazing job of "cleaning things up" and making them suck a little less to those observing such events.

</introspective-existential post>
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

iLikeSandcastles

Postby iLikeSandcastles » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

kaley wrote:Distance, I see zooming not panning.

Also, I like sand castles. It's been awhile since I mentioned.

You called?

(Sorry, couldn't help it :D)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

willyshop wrote:I don't think it's panning; only the left side of the frame is moving. The shoreline doesn't seam to shift; looks to me like the left side is getting compressed.
If you look at the far left, there's a little patch of sand coming in from outer frame. It seams to shift relative to the sand below it. I'll bet there's a bulldozer coming in from out of frame, or maybe a landslide.

Or maybe more castles. Perhaps that's what Megan's been doing this whole time.

Also, I wonder what percentage of this forum's members have joined in the past three days.

louspinuso

Postby louspinuso » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

looking at the aubron woods frame by frame animation going back and forth from the last frame, I find that:

1) the whole castle shifts to the right
2) the point where "water" meets "sand" (where it goes from flat to an incline going right to left) does not move

What this leads me to believe now is that the castle is going to slide into the water slowly, just to be replaced with Megan and Cueball walking back out to the beach and sitting a la frame 1.

Call me a hopeful romantic, but that's what I'm guessing.

Also, first time poster, long time lurker.

BJ Nemeth

Postby BJ Nemeth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

There is a change in the ground to the left of the sandcastle where it appears (from our perspective) to be getting higher, even in the section that we saw in the previous frame.

There is no apparent force that should be causing that -- unless someone or something is just off-screen -- so that could be evidence of a change in perspective (zooming out), rather than a simple pan (moving the camera to the left).

JulianHzg

Postby JulianHzg » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

It is zooming, from a point slightly right of the castle. The comparison clearly shows that the difference is decreasing on the right of the castle, so it might also be compressing due to drying sand or something, but I would also say zooming.

last4_ol.png
last4_ol.png (9.7 KiB) Viewed 11802 times
Last edited by JulianHzg on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmbo

Postby Jimmbo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

I propose an ongoing betting pool re:pixel movement in the upcoming newpix, as we enter this lengthy erosion and/or pan-to-new-scene epoch.

Since we wait an entire newpix each time, this would be easily viable. It would fill in those dreary internewpix periods, and add a welcome sporting element. Because there's just not enough gnarled emotional involvement and suspense as-is.

I say the panning continues, one more pixel further, next time. I'm not sure how to actually put money on that prediction, but am hoping others might have proposals. We have, after all, nothing but time....

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:There is a change in the ground to the left of the sandcastle where it appears (from our perspective) to be getting higher, even in the section that we saw in the previous frame.

There is no apparent force that should be causing that -- unless someone or something is just off-screen -- so that could be evidence of a change in perspective (zooming out), rather than a simple pan (moving the camera to the left).

Why would the left seem to change so much more than the right, though? I noticed the ground to the left getting higher, but the shore barely moves.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

dbell032

Postby dbell032 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

It kind of appears like the view point is a car that is driving away from the castle. Perhaps both castle builders are in the car!

gumbo

Postby gumbo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

NoEdge wrote:Why would the left seem to change so much more than the right, though? I noticed the ground to the left getting higher, but the shore barely moves.

From zooming out at the same time as panning to the left. If you picture it just zooming out, both sides would appear to be moving towards the center. Panning to the left increases how much the left side is moving, and makes the right side shift slightly to the right.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

NoEdge wrote:
BJ Nemeth wrote:There is a change in the ground to the left of the sandcastle where it appears (from our perspective) to be getting higher, even in the section that we saw in the previous frame.

Why would the left seem to change so much more than the right, though? I noticed the ground to the left getting higher, but the shore barely moves.

That's because we're slowly panning to the left as we slowly zoom out.

Edit: ninjaaaad
Last edited by belliott4488 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

NoEdge wrote:

The ground is sloping up, so therefore the new ground being revealed to the left will be higher.

wud

Postby wud » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

Could the angle be roating to give us more of a 3D perspective?

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

After playing around with the pics a bit, I'm pretty sure it's zooming out, and it's not a landslide or anything of the sort.
And if it is zooming out, what's it zooming out to? Will it turn out that the castle is part of some sort of fractal? where the castle is part of an even larger castle?

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:After playing around with the pics a bit, I'm pretty sure it's zooming out, and it's not a landslide or anything of the sort.
And if it is zooming out, what's it zooming out to? Will it turn out that the castle is part of some sort of fractal? where the castle is part of an even larger castle?

Castleception?
Wait for it.

Mindor

Postby Mindor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

JulianHzg wrote:It is zooming, from a point slightly right of the castle. The comparison clearly shows that the difference is decreasing on the right of the castle, so it might also be compressing due to drying sand or something, but I would also say zooming.

last4_ol.png

I did the same thing, only slower...
2 pixel difference on the leftmost wall, 1 pixel down on the top of the tower, 1 pixel difference on the rightmost wall and the rightmost edge of the sand, no noticeable differences (for me) in the water.

I stand by zooming out.
You get the 'Best Newbie (Nearly) Ever" Award. -Az
Yay me.

gorn

Postby gorn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

paulmiranda wrote:OK, My prediction... pan left to reveal...

ANOTHER SANDCASTLE that Megan was building while off screen.
:)

Ooh, yes - with cannon or trebuchets, or something ....

Corrado

Postby Corrado » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:After playing around with the pics a bit, I'm pretty sure it's zooming out, and it's not a landslide or anything of the sort.

Based on the previous collapses/structural failures, a landslide would show up in a single frame change.

I had wondered how Randall would reasonably keep this entertaining for The Masses with such a small, relatively static canvas. I suppose when you've potentially got limitless time to work with and a possible way to script motion, panning/zooming could indefinitely extend the life of #1190.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

I, for one, want it to zoom out and show an enormous beach full of castles built, castles being built, and castles eroding.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

10thDoctor

Postby 10thDoctor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
10thDoctor wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Well, hello, sweetie.

So, when are we? Have we done the Byzantium yet? We're at the Slow-Mo-XKCD right now...

Have we even done the Library yet? You look VERY young.

...you know about the Library? How? You di- uh, I didn't think that you would be there for a while...

On a sidenote (or not, depending on how you look at it), does anyone know how many posts we are to an all-time record?

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

I know it has been said many times but I just love how we are so deeply analyzing each frame of this animation. This really must be worldwide unique situation.

I almost gave it up when it was barely changing but now with this zooming-out-thing I'm excited like never before. Just one minute left! :)

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Whoa!
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

If I were to guess, as admittedly we all are, I would guess he put the castle in the beach frame of Click and Drag, and now all it needs to do is zoom out onto Click and Drag... which would probably take eons, so he's all set.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”