1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

10thDoctor wrote:
riverssong wrote:
10thDoctor wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Well, hello, sweetie.

So, when are we? Have we done the Byzantium yet? We're at the Slow-Mo-XKCD right now...

Have we even done the Library yet? You look VERY young.

...you know about the Library? How? You di- uh, I didn't think that you would be there for a while...

Spoilers. :wink:
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

It seems to be zooming out exponentially

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Oh me yarm - all the traffic from this comic and associate threads, collected gif sites, etc. have had a horrible, horrible, effect!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21954636

:shock:

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:After playing around with the pics a bit, I'm pretty sure it's zooming out, and it's not a landslide or anything of the sort.
And if it is zooming out, what's it zooming out to? Will it turn out that the castle is part of some sort of fractal? where the castle is part of an even larger castle?

If I were to guess, as admittedly we all are, I would guess he put the castle in the beach frame of Click and Drag, and now all it needs to do is zoom out onto Click and Drag... which would probably take eons, so he's all set.

What if the comic starts over at the end, showing the construction of every single feature from Click and Drag? We're all already doomed...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:Gee Willikers - all the traffic from this comic and associate threads, collected gif sites, etc. have had a horrible, horrible, effect!!

Ha ha!! I've never seen that before - this board translates "O - M - G" to "Gee Wilikers". :P

sqrdsqr

Postby sqrdsqr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

I bet Megan built something to the side and it's zooming out to them with her creation. Maybe it's a dragon heading towards the castle or something like that.

On a sappy note it could just be her sitting watching, and now it's panning to show them sitting together, possibly with a heart emoticon above there heads.

NoMouse wrote:I almost gave it up when it was barely changing but now with this zooming-out-thing I'm excited like never before. Just one minute left! :)

And thanks, i clicked back just in time to see it move :)

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:
TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:After playing around with the pics a bit, I'm pretty sure it's zooming out, and it's not a landslide or anything of the sort.
And if it is zooming out, what's it zooming out to? Will it turn out that the castle is part of some sort of fractal? where the castle is part of an even larger castle?

If I were to guess, as admittedly we all are, I would guess he put the castle in the beach frame of Click and Drag, and now all it needs to do is zoom out onto Click and Drag... which would probably take eons, so he's all set.

What if the comic starts over at the end, showing the construction of every single feature from Click and Drag? We're all already doomed...

But we wouldn't. The only reason we keep watching is because the pattern still might change. If we figure out the pattern, we could go on with our lives.

Sylloujii

Postby Sylloujii » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

As one of the "new generation" of forum residents created in the past two days I must say this has been fun. I have loved reading all of the previous theories and watching the sandcastle grow over the past few days. Recent analysis seems to show we are zooming out and panning left. ish. I concur with this analysis. Also for the not flame war that totally isn't happening in another thread right now I prefer to be referred to as an it. My personal theory on the comic? The point of it was to create this thread, this community, a real live "915" experiment and for us to waste countless hours of time.

Wait for it.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Helper wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:

But we wouldn't. The only reason we keep watching is because the pattern still might change. If we figure out the pattern, we could go on with our lives.

Isn't that what all addicts believe? That the next thing will finally be good enough to release you? :D
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

appleGirl

Postby appleGirl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Interesting, now that I'm checking it at home, I can see the panel refreshing and the castle moving at xx:01. Couldn't do it from work (had to refresh), even though I use Chrome at both.

(Ok, maybe it's not THAT interesting)
appleGirl wrote:
lassehp wrote:[...] but what is a believer called? I may be persuaded to convert from whovian, but I need to know what to call myself... "Timer"? "Temporalist"? "Sandcastler?" "TimeWatcher?" "SandcastleWatcher?"

/Lasse

TimeWaiter?

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Helper wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:

The thing is, whenever we seem to figure out the pattern, the pattern changes, as if Randall is watching this very thread. :shock:

zachbarnett

Postby zachbarnett » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

We are talking about this comic via IRC.
Join us. What is the zoom going to reveal?

#xkcd-time on irc.foonetic.net.
Come discuss this this thread on IRC. #xkcd-time on irc.foonetic.net.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:
Helper wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:

The thing is, whenever we seem to figure out the pattern, the pattern changes, as if Randall is watching this very thread. :shock:

Then, by design, this comic will NEVER have a pattern. I want to scream.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

He may or may not be REACTING to it, but I cannot imagine he's not *watching* it.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:If we figure out the pattern, we could go on with our lives.

No, then we might be worried that the pattern could change at any second, and think up hundreds or even tens of patterns that stem out from the original. We'd constantly be second guessing ourselves.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:

He may or may not be REACTING to it, but I cannot imagine he's not *watching* it.

I, for one, welcome our new Randall overlords.

jaycim

Postby jaycim » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I almost gave it up when it was barely changing but now with this zooming-out-thing I'm excited like never before. Just one minute left! :)

Same here!
I finally joined the forum after years of lurking just to be a part of this. :D 19 minutes left and I'm literally jumping up and down with excitement.

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:Gee Willikers - all the traffic from this comic and associate threads, collected gif sites, etc. have had a horrible, horrible, effect!!

Ha ha!! I've never seen that before - this board translates "O - M - G" to "Gee Wilikers". :P

Had to test the O-M-G feature - here goes - Oh me yarm!

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
riverssong wrote:

The wait is a lie.

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Helper wrote: <snip>

There's more than one Randall? Is he like Dr. Who?

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

yaddayadda wrote:

No comment. ;)

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

yaddayadda wrote:

Nah, he's more like bacteria; he multiplied asexually (oh god I'm so sorry) and exponentially.

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

I just figured everyone posting on here were just multiple screen names all ran by Randall (some guys, some girls, of course)... except for me... right....?
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

Corrado

Postby Corrado » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:

That was debunked early on. Someone cleverly (but crudely) photoshopped the current state of Time into Click & Drag. There is no Castle scene like this on any of the shores in Click and Drag.

As for the motion, I'm in the Zoom & Pan camp. If it were a pure zoom-out, all elements should be moving toward the middle, but the shoreline is moving at a different rate than the left side of the castle.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

trusstopher wrote:I just figured everyone posting on here were just multiple screen names all ran by Randall (some guys, some girls, of course)... except for me... right....?

That's actually true of the entire internet; you're actually the only person on it. Everybody else is just highly sophisticated bots. Except for YouTube users. They're less-highly-sophisticated bots.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

trusstopher wrote:I just figured everyone posting on here were just multiple screen names all ran by Randall (some guys, some girls, of course)... except for me... right....?

How do we know that you said that as a misdirect? As in, you are Randall and you just want us to believe otherwise...
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

bunnyphang

Postby bunnyphang » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

What if this gets added to #1110? I've been scrolling through it, but I don't see the castle in there...yet.

Corrado

Postby Corrado » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

Eoink wrote:
Helper wrote:
riverssong wrote:

The wait is a lie.

As much as I want to think this could go on for ever, I lean toward there being some reveal on (or near) 4/1/13. "Wait for it," isn't an instruction to be patient and enjoy the scenery, it's the instruction given to someone as a punchline develops (Wait for it... wait for it...!)

flamewise

Postby flamewise » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I know it has been said many times but I just love how we are so deeply analyzing each frame of this animation. This really must be worldwide unique situation.

Oddly enough, the experience of having to wait for new panels more closely does change my way of reading comics: And that only happens with real-time updating comics on the web. I think it's more gratifying for both reader and author, really: It does take so much longer to produce comics than to consume them.

Some comics update far more slowly than three days a week, and those do get overanalysed a bit: What's new here is that it's just ONE panel.

Good job Randall: I can't believe you can keep innovating the format. I'd love to see what you could do to e-books.

Thank you for the comic, about time I bought a shirt anyway I guess.

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

darthjimmy wrote:

How do we know that you said that as a misdirect? As in, you are Randall and you just want us to believe otherwise...

Because Randall wouldn't be that obvious... he would be more likely to accuse someone else of using a misdirect as his own misdirect... sort of like you just did, Randall!

And no, he wouldn't cover by accusing the accuser of misdirecting... wait, I think I missed a step... or did I... I'm going outside for a little bit... in 9 minutes.
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

We are (or were a page ago) arguing over whether a ~2 pixel change in the image is panning, zooming, both, or a landslide.

I honestly think the point of this comic is either a) to tell a simple story about two people building a really cool sandcastle, or b) a cunning plan to trick the entire readership of xkcd into being satisfied and even ecstatic over a the most minute of changes.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

flamewise wrote:Good job Randall: I can't believe you can keep innovating the format. I'd love to see what you could do to e-books.

Thank you for the comic, about time I bought a shirt anyway I guess.

Good job Randall indeed. I don't know whether I want to punch the guy or give him a hug. Probably both.

Evil_g

Postby Evil_g » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

So why hasn't the tide changed?

How much time has passed? A few hours minimum?

The tide isn't something that Randall forgets about.

Are they beside a lake? Or an artificial beach?

Or maybe they're at an Amphidromic point? (That's a new word I just learned reading about tides on wikipedia in an effort to figure this out).

Is there a thread around here discussing where the events of XKCD take place? Because the list of possible locations might just have gotten shorter.

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

Lucia wrote:We are (or were a page ago) arguing over whether a ~2 pixel change in the image is panning, zooming, both, or a landslide.

I honestly think the point of this comic is either a) to tell a simple story about two people building a really cool sandcastle, or b) a cunning plan to trick the entire readership of xkcd into being satisfied and even ecstatic over a the most minute of changes.

Voting for (b) :wink:

Sulnudu

Postby Sulnudu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

Corrado wrote:As much as I want to think this could go on for ever, I lean toward there being some reveal on (or near) 4/1/13. "Wait for it," isn't an instruction to be patient and enjoy the scenery, it's the instruction given to someone as a punchline develops (Wait for it... wait for it...!)

Agree. I have the feeling that this zoom out will show that this isn't really sand they're building castles from, but I can't guess what it might be then.

Also, I really have to test this too: Oh me yarm!

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

Lucia wrote:We are (or were a page ago) arguing over whether a ~2 pixel change in the image is panning, zooming, both, or a landslide.

Zindaras

Postby Zindaras » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:
Helper wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:

Isn't that what all addicts believe? That the next thing will finally be good enough to release you? :D

This is such a sad sad truth.

And still I wait and hope that the next update will do it for me.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

inthemanual wrote:I love how everyone is mocking my pregnancy speculation. :D

Oh! I thought I was the first one to speculate on that!

plumander

Postby plumander » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

It changed again, if nobody noticed.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:He may or may not be REACTING to it, but I cannot imagine he's not *watching* it.

My understanding is that Randall rarely watches the forums. Someone has probably pointed out to him by now that his "Time" comic spawned a 50+ page thread on the forums, but I doubt he's read more than a handful of posts.

It is very unlikely he is reacting to it, as he's not exactly drawing these in real time. (Presumably he's still going to sleep each night.) My guess is the entire sequence was pre-programmed, although it's likely that some aspects (like the auto-refresh javascript) were added and updated in real time in response to increased server-load generated by the comic.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”