1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

squonk

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby squonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

Checking down near the bottom of the forum index page, we're apparently nearing the 100th anniversary of the time when the most users were ever online.

In total there are 800 users online :: 96 registered, 6 hidden and 698 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1977 on Tue Feb 22, 1916 1:09 pm UTC

Fans were obviously more dedicated back then, given that so many got together on their steam driven computers, sending punch cards back and forth during the middle of World War I...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:This is much bigger than all of us now... For the love of god, people - the ad/marketing industry MUST NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENED HERE, or we are all DOOMED!!! Therefore, for humanity's sake - the first rule of "Time": You don't talk about "Time"... </sarcasm>

:) FAB!

Soup

Postby Soup » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

enumerated powers wrote:...um... so this might be part of the prototype, seen from the other side?

</snip>

I had previously suggested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tower ... l_2006.jpg
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:Until such time that the English language develops a gender-neutral pronoun system, and for as long as the male form remains the accepted default in the English language, I suggest that all further debate of the topic center solely on what might be done to address the underlying linguistic cause at its root, rather than the perceived transgressions of those using an imperfect language to communicate as clearly as they are able.

You go, girl!

plumander

Postby plumander » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

squonk wrote:Checking down near the bottom of the forum index page, we're apparently nearing the 100th anniversary of the time when the most users were ever online.

In total there are 800 users online :: 96 registered, 6 hidden and 698 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)

Fans were obviously more dedicated back then, given that so many got together on their steam driven computers, sending punch cards back and forth during the middle of World War I...

They say Woodrow Wilson was an avid XKCD follower.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Lucia wrote:We are (or were a page ago) arguing over whether a ~2 pixel change in the image is panning, zooming, both, or a landslide.

I honestly think the point of this comic is either a) to tell a simple story about two people building a really cool sandcastle, or b) a cunning plan to trick the entire readership of xkcd into being satisfied and even ecstatic over a the most minute of changes.

Soon we'll all be like these guys : http://xkcd.com/915/
"No, my favourite frame was definitely the #548, when the tower #42 was in the middle of his fifth reconstruction. #547 wasn't anywhere as good!"
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

squonk wrote:Checking down near the bottom of the forum index page, we're apparently nearing the 100th anniversary of the time when the most users were ever online.

my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Tass

Postby Tass » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:A massive thread without a flame war? It's about Time!

Pun intended?

Edit: Time capitalized. Obviously intended.
Last edited by Tass on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Sunny wrote:"you people"

Good luck with that one :P

I live in the south. I say y'all.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

This entire thing makes me remember that time they tried to standardize the direction of toilet paper rolls to save time/money. Bet those people'd get a kick out of this.

"...you spent three days years watching one comic?..."
"Yep."
"I honestly feel like I'm missing something here."
"Nope.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

plumander

Postby plumander » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

I don't live in the south. I say y'all.

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

plumander wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

I used to live in the south, now I no longer live in the south, and I say y'all. (as long as we're taking a survey)

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

lovepirate wrote:
plumander wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

I used to live in the south, now I no longer live in the south, and I say y'all. (as long as we're taking a survey)

Clearly, all y'all don't live far enough south.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

That really confused me when I went to NewAwlins (one of my fave places of all time BTW). I remember going into a bar with the two friends I was travelling with and the barman saying "would y'all like a drink?". Seemed to invite an answer like "no, one between us will be fine".
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

fixer

Postby fixer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

lovepirate wrote:
plumander wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

Some of my family used to live in the south, but migrated during the Great Depression. I say y'all.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

I live in the deep north and say y'all.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

Just a change in measurement window. Today we tend to find fora count users in 15 minute windows because that's a reasonable time interval for the Internet as we know it, back then Mr R Munroe Esq received 1977 letters in a 3 month period after he showed a very slow magic lantern presentation of two people building a sandcastle.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

fixer wrote:
lovepirate wrote:
plumander wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

Some of my family used to live in the south, but migrated during the Great Depression. I say y'all.

I live in the south and I say both, y'all and y'uns.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

reckter

Postby reckter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

That really confused me when I went to NewAwlins (one of my fave places of all time BTW). I remember going into a bar with the two friends I was travelling with and the barman saying "would y'all like a drink?". Seemed to invite an answer like "no, one between us will be fine".

As a German I can refer to that. Just replays NewAwlins with Austria ^^ (<sacrasm>And yes many kangaroos there </sacrasm>).
I can't understand a freaking word oO

kaley

Postby kaley » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

I don't live in the south. I heard y'all is one person and all y'all is multiple people. Sounds as good as any for single and plural gender-neutral pronouns.

skuk

Postby skuk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

The comments on zooming out to find ourselves in 'click and drag' made me go back to the original. If Randal is willing to mess with time, would he edit that one? Didn't find any change, but re-appreciated the big world.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

kaley wrote:I don't live in the south. I heard y'all is one person and all y'all is multiple people. Sounds as good as any for single and plural gender-neutral pronouns.

Yes, but how do you translate that from "you" into "that guy over there"? (No, I don't know the actual name of the tense to which I am referring. Sorry.)

EDIT: that HOBBIT over there. NOW WE ARE GENDER-NEUTRAL. Fine.

EDIT the second: What if we go LOLcat-speak and rebrand it "guize"? Would that work?
Last edited by riverssong on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:53 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
SWuh wrote:10. "This comic is just a way to get more users to use the forum! Maybe he just wanted the longest thread to be about a comic and not a flame war? We're not far to getting there, keep it on topic, guys!! Spiffing job!"

A massive thread without a flame war? It's about Time!

Yes, exactly what I have been thinking this whole time. I did know it was possible! I love all of you - so nice to be part of a group of individuals who seem to actually care about what others have to say and don't feel the need to be a big ol' meanie. Thank you xkcd forum! You have renewed my faith in humanity.

...you realize that was a pun, right?

I mean, the sentiment still stands, but it was mostly a joke.
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

skuk wrote:The comments on zooming out to find ourselves in 'click and drag' made me go back to the original. If Randal is willing to mess with time, would he edit that one? Didn't find any change, but re-appreciated the big world.

He didn't... so far.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

kaley wrote:I don't live in the south. I heard y'all is one person and all y'all is multiple people. Sounds as good as any for single and plural gender-neutral pronouns.

Second person pronouns were already gender neutral. What about third person pronouns (he/she, etc.)?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

reckter

Postby reckter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

Now I realize why this is called "Time".
He stole it from us! I want mine back! Now!
Why am I still awake anyways? Wanted to go to bed one newpix back. And Now I have an account here and writing a post. >.<

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Lucia wrote:We are (or were a page ago) arguing over whether a ~2 pixel change in the image is panning, zooming, both, or a landslide.

I honestly think the point of this comic is either a) to tell a simple story about two people building a really cool sandcastle, or b) a cunning plan to trick the entire readership of xkcd into being satisfied and even ecstatic over a the most minute of changes.

Soon we'll all be like these guys : http://xkcd.com/915/
"No, my favourite frame was definitely the #548, when the tower #42 was in the middle of his fifth reconstruction. #547 wasn't anywhere as good!"

Obviously, I wasn't the first to come up with this idea. Not surprising. I think everything people could think about in this thread have been thought about. Charles H. Duell would agree.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:

Second person pronouns were already gender neutral. What about third person pronouns (he/she, etc.)?

One out of 3 ain't bad.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

squonk wrote:

I can't remember exactly when, probably around 10-20 pages or so, I looked and saw over 900 guests, close to 1000 I believe...
Also, It took me FOREVER to catch up with the posts ever since the guy left. For every page I read, another 2 appeared out of nowhere... I'm (finally) caught up now, though, thank god.

I was going to speculate earlier, before I created my account to de-lurk, about what if he suddenly started panning into 3D space, circling the camera around the castle as they built it, but I forgot about that idea by the time I did make my account and start posting stuff. So anyway, this is pretty interesting. I don't think it's going to pan out to 1110, but I bet it will pan and zoom to show an even bigger section of castle being built by the girl, and now the guy helping. I also like the giant idea, that caused my mind to flip-turn upside down...
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

astrotter

Postby astrotter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Erstwhile lurker, first-time poster, devoted fan. I'm blown away by the interplay between Randall's art and this thread (and have been hovering at my screen every half hour for as long as anyone). I hope someday someone will create a version of 1190 annotated with key posts. I read the rules, know I can't post a link -- but was anyone listening to NPR's All Things Considered this afternoon when astrophysicist Adam Frank read his essay, How to See The World in a Grain of Sand? It was spooky -- "listening to Dark Side of the Moon while watching the Wizard of Oz"-spooky. Audio is up on NPR site.
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
skuk wrote:The comments on zooming out to find ourselves in 'click and drag' made me go back to the original. If Randal is willing to mess with time, would he edit that one? Didn't find any change, but re-appreciated the big world.

He didn't... so far.

Day 3, the paranoia has developed to the point that we are not sure what a normal frame of reference is anymore. The end is no longer in sight. Send help.

P.S. I am not Randall
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

lovepirate wrote:
plumander wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

Another used to, and still do.

Nope. From the necks of the wood I lived in (VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, & AL - yes, I lived in The South). Y'all is a contraction of "you all" and avoids the confusion of saying "you" when there is more than one person. "You" means an individual. "Y'all" means a group of individuals. And gender offense is completely avoided. :-)

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:

Yes, but how do you translate that from "you" into "that guy over there"? (No, I don't know the actual name of the tense to which I am referring. Sorry.)

EDIT the second: What if we go LOLcat-speak and rebrand it "guize"? Would that work?

It's not a tense; it's a point of view.

I is first person, you is second person, he/she/it is third person.

Y'all is second person. They would be the third person form.

"P.S. I am not Randall." sounds like a cool signature...
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

All y'all= An entire group
Y'all=plural you/an unspecified subset
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

AussieJono

Postby AussieJono » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

If we're back to gender neutral pronouns, singular they is xkcd approved: http://xkcd.com/145/

Edit - also, all this stuff about y'all is second person, where English doesn't make a gender distinction anyway. The reason this was brought up about 30 pages back was because of gender-specific Third Person pronouns.
Last edited by AussieJono on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
<pretentious quote> </pretentious quote>

TemporaryLife

Postby TemporaryLife » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

I'm aware that this is PROBABLY a thought someone has had, but I'm going to air it anyway:

I wonder if Randall has something planned for the post-game for 1190. I know a lot of us have lost a lot of sleep watching this comic evolve, and speculating here (I have been very inactive in it, but I've enjoyed lurking sporadically) about what is going to happen next. But think about it from the POV of someone who is reading through the archives after the strip is done: I can imagine someone coming across the last panel, seeing a single silly frame, and thinking, "Oh, well, that was a lame duck!" and going over to 1191. They won't know how much time the world has spent trying to piece the puzzle together, losing all of that sleep, guessing what might happen next, even laughing as Cueball accidentally destroyed the western wall of the castle.

I think we all know that Randall knows that, no matter how much or little he cares about what we have to say about the strip, he definitely knows and cares that, if it simply ends, the entire point of the strip will be lost on everyone who did not follow along as it evolved.

The question: What do you think the future holds for 1190, once it has ended? Or do you think this is less an April Fool's stunt, and more a thank-you to everyone who is devoted to his work, and knows to follow along? My first instinct when seeing 1190 was to come to the forums and see if there was something special about the strip... what about the passive fans who just said, "Oh, this is a filler strip," and went and read the new Questionable Content?

Moreover, how many people was this experience lost on?

Again, I'm sure these aren't new thoughts, but what's one more post in here?

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Ayriannah wrote:
riverssong wrote:

It's not a tense; it's a point of view.

I is first person, you is second person, he/she/it is third person.

Y'all is second person. They would be the third person form.

"P.S. I am not Randall." sounds like a cool signature...

Thanks; I got tangled.

Tass

Postby Tass » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

How about the americans stop discussing dialects and start discussing the new frame?
Last edited by Tass on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

kaley

Postby kaley » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

So this thread is mostly about the comic, gender pronouns, addiction/sleeplessness associated with the comic, and how weird it is that there are a lot of people/posts on the thread.

Very interesting.

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
aack! more turrets and a FLAG!

wait for it.
Last edited by lovepirate on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”