1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lovepirate
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lovepirate » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Crap, I'm going to a movie in 4 newpix, and I bet while I'm gone is when the flags reappear for good.
Wait for it.

dalcde
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:49 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby dalcde » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Flag view: (imgur'd) http://imgur.com/s8UxXVS
Image

EDIT: Seems like Lucia got it first :)
Last edited by dalcde on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:43 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Razzle Storm wrote:Used to be Christian, then I read the Bible.

mercutio_stencil
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mercutio_stencil » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

I feel it worthy to point out that the next comic is entitled The Past. They don't seem related, but can we know for sure?

User avatar
riverssong
Gallstone of Fury
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:52 pm UTC
Location: in a portable hobbit-hole in the Ozarks

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby riverssong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

So at the current rate of expansion, how long a nap can I take before we catch up to the flag frame?
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

littlebutterfly
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby littlebutterfly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

Lucia wrote:By uploading the flags pic by copying from a tab opened when it was available, I managed to provide time travel into the past and the future at the same time. :shock: :D


THANK YOU!

User avatar
patzer
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:So at the current rate of expansion, how long a nap can I take before we catch up to the flag frame?

it looks like first new castle will appear in the next frame or two, but still a long way to the flags :cry:
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

trusstopher
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby trusstopher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Lucia wrote:Argh. Now it's back to the old one for me too. :| Almost :30...

And another tiny expansion. Anyone feel like counting pixels to guess how long it is 'til we get flags? Way too depressing for me.
Spoiler:
Image


***Nevermind
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

SilverTree
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SilverTree » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

I can't see the flag either. Is this a prank or did we saw a frame that is supposed to appear later on? If it's the second one, all the people guessing that the scene will zoom out to show a bigger castle will be right. (And knowing that doesn't kill my excitement for what's next - I'm that addicted to this!)
Anyway, right now I wonder not so much about the Oh So Deep Meaning That Will Be Revealed, but just about how long will this go on. (I'm not sure how I feel about the April Fool's theory, I change my mind about it every other time.)

User avatar
patzer
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

I wonder if Randall is reading this thread? He might not even show the flags? Do you think this could be an alternate future we just glimpsed?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

SilverTree wrote:I can't see the flag either. Is this a prank or did we saw a frame that is supposed to appear later on? If it's the second one, all the people guessing that the scene will zoom out to show a bigger castle will be right. (And knowing that doesn't kill my excitement for what's next - I'm that addicted to this!)
Anyway, right now I wonder not so much about the Oh So Deep Meaning That Will Be Revealed, but just about how long will this go on. (I'm not sure how I feel about the April Fool's theory, I change my mind about it every other time.)


The flags are/were real; we saw a later frame and/or a frame from an 'alternate future'. There's still the possibilty that the frame was never really served, everybody claiming to see it is in on a prank, and the images are photoshops, but that's kinda like the trusting trust problem.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

willyshop
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby willyshop » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

What's weird is that somehow this comic is another one of those "get out of my head" comics. The past few days I've been using my computer to render a zoom animation on a 3d fractal. Same deal; wait 30 minutes, see a very small change, rinse, repeat.

User avatar
inhalvast
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:50 am UTC
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

patzer wrote:I wonder if Randall is reading this thread? He might not even show the flags? Do you think this could be an alternate future we just glimpsed?


I'm sure he's monitoring this in some way shape or form, or at least, he's got a moderator telling him what's going on.
He might not show the flags, we will know. Eventually.

We might each get a different ending depending on our IP addresses... Then the Singularity would have to begin.
Mgraba wrote:He who watches Time already waits for it.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

SilverTree
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SilverTree » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

Helper wrote:There's still the possibilty that the frame was never really served, everybody claiming to see it is in on a prank, and the images are photoshops, but that's kinda like the trusting trust problem.


Heh, true. Plus, If I think about it, the idea that we just saw into the future seems much more appropriate to the whole concept of the comic, even if it wasn't intended, so I'll go with it :)

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

inhalvast wrote:We might each get a different ending depending on our IP addresses... Then the Singularity would have to begin.

Completely unrelated to this thread/comic, but somebody needs to write an algorithmic comic generator and setup a website that seeds the generator with the visitor's IP, serving the psuedo-randomly generated comic to the visitor.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

User avatar
libra
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:50 am UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby libra » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

darthjimmy wrote:
willyshop wrote:
kaley wrote:Fake post with the flags? It's not showing up on the homepage for me and I fear I have been pranked.



Ditto.

I can vouch for the one with the flags. I saw it before Randall spotted the time error. I have a feeling it is coming.

I saved it before it ninja'ed out of existence. :D

Deadcode
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:59 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Deadcode » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

I happened to see the flag while working on my super-resolution average, and extrapolating from the current rate of zooming (which has been constant for the last 3 hours, from 64:30 to the present 67:30), that frame will happen at 75:30 (in 8 hours).
Last edited by Deadcode on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

squonk
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby squonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Lucia wrote:The new castle (with flags) is what shows up for me right now. It's not accidental.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/4c9272 ... 96434f.png

Now that we have a "future hash", is there any way to crack the code?

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
inhalvast wrote:We might each get a different ending depending on our IP addresses... Then the Singularity would have to begin.

Completely unrelated to this thread/comic, but somebody needs to write an algorithmic comic generator and setup a website that seeds the generator with the visitor's IP, serving the psuedo-randomly generated comic to the visitor.

I'm halfway there on that :-)

norcimo
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby norcimo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Deadcode wrote:I happened to see the flag while working on my super-resolution average, and extrapolating from the current rate of zooming (which appears to be constant), that frame will happen at 75:30 (in 8 hours).

Hope so, really do need to sleep now. Just waiting for one. more. frame
Knight Temporal in search of a name. In Time we shall rise. Until then, I wait.

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:00 am UTC

My hope is that the 'slip' was intentional and to 'make up for it', we're going to see an alternate version of the future.

Deadcode wrote:I happened to see the flag while working on my super-resolution average, and extrapolating from the current rate of zooming (which appears to be constant), that frame will happen at 75:30 (in 8 hours).


Wasn't there chatter about the pan and/or zoom being exponential?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

morgothcr
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby morgothcr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Yay!
there's the flag again!
Oh me yarm WTF BBQ!

Edit: Only "Oh-Ehm-Gee" is being filtered out? Boring!
Last edited by morgothcr on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:04 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

TheMulattoMaker
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:13 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:01 am UTC

ERMAHGERD DERE'S A THING OVER DERE!!!!

SQUEEEEEEE!!! :D
Last edited by TheMulattoMaker on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AussieJono
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AussieJono » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:01 am UTC

The flags are reappearing everyone - the prophesy is coming true, a second castle will ARISE!
<pretentious quote> </pretentious quote>

arjan
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:48 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby arjan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:01 am UTC

I saved the image with the flag even now I know there are copies of it. Just in case. My precious..

Wait wait, this IS getting a bit ridiculous. Time for bed!
Last edited by arjan on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Reka
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Reka » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:01 am UTC

There's a blip of flag/other castle now!

Edit: OK, I see how all the "ninja'd" posts happen even though the forum forces you to look at stuff that was posted while you were writing: it pretends to show you everything that you missed, but it lies, it only shows you *some* of it.
Last edited by Reka on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlueSloth
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlueSloth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:02 am UTC

Helper wrote:404.

That's what I suspect would happen if anybody cracks the hash and tries to see the future.

Personally I'm taking this as an opportunity to relax and watch a beach without obsessing over it. I'm not doing a good job though, since I dreamed about it last night and woke up thinking in terms of half hour time increments. :(

riverssong wrote:
AussieJono wrote:If we're back to gender neutral pronouns, singular they is xkcd approved:


I don't hate it because it's 'grammatically incorrect', I hate it because it's IMPRECISE.

Not when it's used on me.

User avatar
patzer
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:02 am UTC

Image
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:02 am UTC

Spoiler:
Image


I WONDER WHAT THAT WEIRD THING ON THE RIGHT SIDE IS.

There goes the alternate future theory ;_;.

Edit: ninja'd.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Deadcode
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:59 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Deadcode » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:04 am UTC

squonk wrote:
Lucia wrote:The new castle (with flags) is what shows up for me right now. It's not accidental.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/4c9272 ... 96434f.png

Now that we have a "future hash", is there any way to crack the code?

Even if there is a code (and these "hashes" aren't just from a one-time pad) it would do us no good. The flag png link now gives a 404 - Not Found.

Lucia
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:35 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Lucia » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Oh, excellent. Looks like the future is going to arrive much sooner than we anticipated. And it is now apparent (deliberately?) that there is no way to skip ahead as the images are not uploaded until their appointed time.

Maybe it's a pot plant? It looks like a pot and a leaf to me! :D
Last edited by Lucia on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

Wraithlord
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 am UTC
Location: In the shadow of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 am UTC

patzer wrote:Image


The flag has returned to us! We are saved!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Deadcode wrote:The flag png link now gives a 404 - Not Found.

Which confirms something interesting: the operation is definitely being watched by somebody in real-time. Or the server has become self-aware, we seems reasonably likely at this point.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

NoEdge
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 am UTC

If we hadn't seen the flag castle already, it would be really fun speculating about what might be there and watching everybody else speculate. Too bad we already know.
Maybe the picture was there on purpose to show how much more interesting this will be if we're patient than if we were just given the whole thing? I think half the fun is seeing everybody's ideas about it.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Lucia
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:35 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Lucia » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
patzer wrote:Image


The flag has returned to us! We are saved!


A flag? Nah, it would be more rectangular. Looks like a leaf to me. Did Megan go to get a pot plant?
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:If we hadn't seen the flag castle already, it would be really fun speculating about what might be there and watching everybody else speculate. Too bad we already know.
Maybe the picture was there on purpose to show how much more interesting this will be if we're patient than if we were just given the whole thing? I think half the fun is seeing everybody's ideas about it.

That's what I was wondering. Or at least a ploy to keep our attention.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

User avatar
lunarul
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:00 am UTC
Location: Buchares, Romania

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lunarul » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:10 am UTC

I'm anticipating that the zoom out will show them stranded on a desert island
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

User avatar
NoMouse
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm UTC
Location: Czech Republic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NoMouse » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:10 am UTC

This is clearly a piece of pipe with piranha plant in it.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

BJ Nemeth
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BJ Nemeth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:11 am UTC

I'm so bummed that I missed the unintentional preview of the future frame. I blame my dog, who insisted that I go to obedience training with him. (With it? With y'all?)

I keep the original comic page open in a window in the corner of my screen at all times for just such an incident, and then I'm absent for the brief period when it would have actually paid off. Consarn it!

BlueSloth
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlueSloth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Deadcode wrote:The flag png link now gives a 404 - Not Found.

Which confirms something interesting: the operation is definitely being watched by somebody in real-time. Or the server has become self-aware, we seems reasonably likely at this point.

There's no reason it couldn't have always been set up not to give out images early, just in case.

NoEdge
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:If we hadn't seen the flag castle already, it would be really fun speculating about what might be there and watching everybody else speculate. Too bad we already know.
Maybe the picture was there on purpose to show how much more interesting this will be if we're patient than if we were just given the whole thing? I think half the fun is seeing everybody's ideas about it.

That's what I was wondering. Or at least a ploy to keep our attention.

My first thought was that we were being messed with.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: elasto, Gingercat, melbrod and 45 guests