1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

darthjimmy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:12 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:If we hadn't seen the flag castle already, it would be really fun speculating about what might be there and watching everybody else speculate. Too bad we already know.
Maybe the picture was there on purpose to show how much more interesting this will be if we're patient than if we were just given the whole thing? I think half the fun is seeing everybody's ideas about it.

I have to admit, that has been the funnest part about this whole adventure. At least we can still speculate on what else is to come!
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:14 am UTC

BlueSloth wrote:There's no reason it couldn't have always been set up not to give out images early, just in case.

I'm sure missing something, but it already served an image early; I can't imagine how it could have glitched and then been repaired unless somebody was tending to it live. Unless the 'error' was planned, of course.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:16 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:This is clearly a piece of pipe with piranha plant in it.

woah, that means that he somehow managed to splice together two pieces of opposite sides of 1110, but switched which side it actually is on relative to where they were in 1110 :shock: does this confirm string theory or something?
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:16 am UTC

I believe I see a flag appearing on the left? I think this is new?

EDIT: Oops, forgot to refresh my page -- can someone tell me how to delete a post?

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 am UTC

Okay, 58 pages, I'm not gonna bother looking through them though I'm sure this question has been asked already. But has someone put up a website with all the images, one that is pretty much up to date by now? The only one I noticed earlier in the thread only had the first 80 up.

And also this thread must win the award for highest number of people looking at it, 443 guests plus 30-40 members I'd wager.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 am UTC

lunarul wrote:I'm anticipating that the zoom out will show them stranded on a desert island

Ooooh, this is one of my fav speculations yet!

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:21 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:Okay, 58 pages, I'm not gonna bother looking through them though I'm sure this question has been asked already. But has someone put up a website with all the images, one that is pretty much up to date by now? The only one I noticed earlier in the thread only had the first 80 up.

And also this thread must win the award for highest number of people looking at it, 443 guests plus 30-40 members I'd wager.

http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:24 am UTC

And one of my fav frames is just after he knocks down part of the castle and then throws a bit of sand in the air. I interpret that as a moment of frustration, like "dammit, look what I did! now I have to f***in fix it!"

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 am UTC

Helper wrote:
ThemePark wrote:Okay, 58 pages, I'm not gonna bother looking through them though I'm sure this question has been asked already. But has someone put up a website with all the images, one that is pretty much up to date by now? The only one I noticed earlier in the thread only had the first 80 up.

http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/

Thanks.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

aemyn

Postby aemyn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 am UTC

Just need that one frame more so that I can see what it might be and move on with my day...

willyshop

Postby willyshop » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 am UTC

This whole comic speaks to the nature of time itself; here we are speculating about the future of the comic even when we've been given a glimpse a few frames ahead. The very nature of time is that we remember the past but we don't remember the future. Most of the laws of physics are symmetric under time reversal save for thermodynamics, and that is the key to our perception of time. Essentially, we don't remember the future because that is the direction in which entropy is increasing. Even though we've seen a frame "from the future," there is still the possibility that the flag will become a leaf or something entirely unexpected will happen. There are more possible future states consistent with our present observations than there are past states. Entropy.

arjan

Postby arjan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:And also this thread must win the award for highest number of people looking at it, 443 guests plus 30-40 members I'd wager.

Randall controlling all of them by changing a couple of pixels once per newpix. The amount of productivity lost must reach millions of dollars by now :)

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:28 am UTC

Stereo wrote:Hi guys, Randall says "oops, sorry about the brief wrong-frame update; there was a disagreement between servers about time zones. it's being sorted out and the normal timeline should resume momentarily."

Guys and gals - make what you will of the post quoted above, but the clear message is that there was a legitimate glitch that caused a momentary sequencing issue. No ulterior motives or conspiracies.

For those of you who don't see why so many say it's a flag - you might go back a page on this thread to see where people posted links to the out-of-sequence flag frame.

Or, just wait for it ...

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:28 am UTC

So I broke my rule about catching up with the thread before checking the comic. I guess that turned out to be both good and bad; I got to be super-excited thinking I was the one of the first to see the HOLYCRAPWHATSTHATOVERTHERE as it drifted into the left edge, and then I when I read these last 10 pages I saw into the future.

pete3442

Postby pete3442 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 am UTC

@maniexx wrote:
patzer wrote:
Spoiler:
patzer wrote:
mojacardave wrote:MULTI-BUMP (again - feel free to bump this post occasionally if I manage to tear myself away from here!)

Countdown to next update:

Latest frame (auto updates):

Live updating GIF:
Primis wrote:Image

More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):

Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):

manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - NOW: the deserted period (?) Still in progress! How exciting!

Discuss!

Bumping links for new page, the new new page!
bouer wrote:We're not creating a new civilization. The simultaneous distraction of most of the worlds engineers and tech support just caused the old one to fall away.

NoEdge wrote:I feel like we're close to starting a religion, if we haven't already.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:30 am UTC

arjan wrote:
ThemePark wrote:And also this thread must win the award for highest number of people looking at it, 443 guests plus 30-40 members I'd wager.

Randall controlling all of them by changing a couple of pixels once per newpix. The amount of productivity lost must reach millions of dollars by now :)

Entire countries are going bankrupt as we speak.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:30 am UTC

FLAGS WOOOOHOOOO

I'm now starting to think that Randall is taking "viewer input". I mean, how many of y'all were demanding flags Monday and yesterday? And here they are.

Oh, and I missed out in the "y'all" subdiscussion. FWIW, I'm from the North, spent years living in Alabama, and "y'all" just comes natural to me. But I would like to say thank you to everybody involved, for not spelling it ya'll. God, it hurt me to even type it that way. :lol:
Last edited by TheMulattoMaker on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

CF259

Postby CF259 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:30 am UTC

OK IT'S A FLAG WE ALL KNEW IT

plumander

Postby plumander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:30 am UTC

New one's up! It was a flag all along! Golly, I never would've guessed!

Sarius1997

Postby Sarius1997 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:31 am UTC

Well, it actually is a flag.
So the picture with the flags (that i missed ) was really the future

AussieJono

Postby AussieJono » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:31 am UTC

Right I give up for the night. See you all in 14 newpix, and if you're not up to page 80 on here then I'll have a lot more free time than I expected tomorrow.
<pretentious quote> </pretentious quote>

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 am UTC

Here it is again!
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

slowcooked

Steganography?

Postby slowcooked » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 am UTC

I've looked at five random images - and I find NO Steganography in the PNG images. I haven't looked at the HTML or if there are specific JavaScripts that might have messages. :?:

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 am UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
Stereo wrote:Hi guys, Randall says "oops, sorry about the brief wrong-frame update; there was a disagreement between servers about time zones. it's being sorted out and the normal timeline should resume momentarily."

Guys and gals - make what you will of the post quoted above, but the clear message is that there was a legitimate glitch that caused a momentary sequencing issue. No ulterior motives or conspiracies.

For those of you who don't see why so many say it's a flag - you might go back a page on this thread to see where people posted links to the out-of-sequence flag frame.

Or, just wait for it ...

Where does that come from, any way? I haven't seen it on any twitter feeds or anything... Even if Randall actually did say that, he's hardly the most reliable source :twisted: .

kaley

Postby kaley » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:FLAGS WOOOOHOOOO

I'm now starting to think that Randall is taking "viewer input". I mean, how many of y'all were demanding flags Monday and yesterday? And here they are.

I think he's just that smart to have thought it up himself.

Sappharos

Postby Sappharos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 am UTC

It's a good job the server error didn't reveal any further into the future or it would have spoiled too much...

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 am UTC

Never in my life have I thought I would be this excited about a flag. :|

arjan

Postby arjan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:36 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:
arjan wrote:

Years ago I was in Denmark and there was a referendum on the Euro or the EU. One of the posters said roughly (translated to me by a Danish friend): "free children can play better". The Danish apparently understood. So jealous..

Back to the flag.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Well I've been away (unavoidably) for about 10 frames and it looks like I had a good set to skip! I'm going to bed right this second, so I don't get hooked in again, but can't wait to see what's in the wider world!

RE-BUMP OF MY EARLIER POST
Trimmed this bump block down to the essentials, to make it a bit less cumbersome - feel free to rebump occasionally...

Live updating GIF:

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Sappharos wrote:It's a good job the server error didn't reveal any further into the future or it would have spoiled too much...

Yeah, a very convenient way to keep and build interest, isn't it? :twisted:

aemyn

Postby aemyn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:37 am UTC

Spoiler:
Randall kills Trinity with Rosebud.

Primis

Postby Primis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:38 am UTC

Wow, I leave the post for a day (checked last time at page 19) and this happens!
If anyone was wondering, my GIF was made so I could track all the updates without losing sleep. in the process I've been saving all the images I collect. (unix timestamp of when they were taken) the url is http://primis.org/time/ I have it check every 5 minutes for a new image, however, I think I'm going to have to speed that up soon... Any feedback on it would be nice too
the gif is still live updating:
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:38 am UTC

aemyn wrote:
Spoiler:
Randall kills Trinity with Rosebud.

aemyn no

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:38 am UTC

Spoiler:
patzer wrote:
mojacardave wrote:MULTI-BUMP (again - feel free to bump this post occasionally if I manage to tear myself away from here!)

Latest frame (auto updates):

Live updating GIF:

Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):

manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!

Mojacar, I've been bumping an expanded version, as seen here.

WARNING FOR BLITZERS: SPOILER CONTAINS CURRENT FRAME.
Last edited by patzer on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:38 am UTC

AussieJono wrote:Right I give up for the night. See you all in 14 newpix, and if you're not up to page 80 on here then I'll have a lot more free time than I expected tomorrow.

We've made 59 pages in 137 newpix, or about 0.43 pages per newpix. So you can expect 6 more pages when you wake up.

fixer

Postby fixer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:And one of my fav frames is just after he knocks down part of the castle and then throws a bit of sand in the air. I interpret that as a moment of frustration, like "dammit, look what I did! now I have to f***in fix it!"

I read it as, "Oh, carp. Megan is gonna KILL me! Better fix it quick!"
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:And one of my fav frames is just after he knocks down part of the castle and then throws a bit of sand in the air. I interpret that as a moment of frustration, like "dammit, look what I did! now I have to f***in fix it!"

That's just like you - praising a frame where something is broken!
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

astrotter

Postby astrotter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 am UTC

I can't find all the speculations in this thread about the relative rate of Time-time to Earth-time, but a reasonable stretch factor seems to be 10. So maybe we're viewing this scene at a redshift of 9, which...umm...is a light-travel time of ~13.1bya, according to a popular online cosmology calculator. Not sure there was silicon to make sand back then. Maybe the Good Doctor trucked it in along with our friends. Alternatively, we're viewing it through an arbitrarily large telescope (also made of sand -- whoa!) while traveling away at (99/101) x (the speed of light). I'll ponder...later...how large the primary mirror/baseline of the telescope would have to be/how fast it would have to grow to maintain the angular resolution we see. I won't tackle the zoom effect yet.

BlueSloth

Postby BlueSloth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Helper wrote:
BlueSloth wrote:There's no reason it couldn't have always been set up not to give out images early, just in case.

I'm sure missing something, but it already served an image early; I can't imagine how it could have glitched and then been repaired unless somebody was tending to it live. Unless the 'error' was planned, of course.

Ok, yeah, it's being watched and fixed, but technically my point still stands. And it only served one early because it got confused and thought it wasn't early.

Anyway, this thread's too fast; I'm out of here. The comic is so slow and peaceful, this thread doesn't do it justice.
Last edited by BlueSloth on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:43 am UTC

arjan wrote:
ThemePark wrote:
arjan wrote:

Years ago I was in Denmark and there was a referendum on the Euro or the EU. One of the posters said roughly (translated to me by a Danish friend): "free children can play better". The Danish apparently understood. So jealous..

Back to the flag.

Lige børn leger bedst? More like equal children play the best, if you translate it directly. Never seen any such thing on Euro bills or coins, but then again we still use good old kroner here.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”