1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NoEdge

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

I don't know. Nobody does. There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it. And on occasional, the rooms feels warmer and is illuminated and I see what I can only assume to the Outside in the glare of my laptop screen, but I have always been similarly to frightened to look at the glare directly. From whence does the glare emerge, anyway?

EDIT: Also, sigged. :D

This Outside you speak of must be a strange and wonderful place. I would like to journey to it to see this illumination you talk about.

From the stories, I expected the Outside to be sad. And it was. And I expected it to be wonderful. It was.
But I never expected it to be destroyed shortly after the beginning of Time.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.
Now there is nothing to distract us from watching a sandcastle change, one pixel at a time.

At long last, a new age of peace.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
Helper wrote:

I don't know. Nobody does. There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it. And on occasional, the rooms feels warmer and is illuminated and I see what I can only assume to the Outside in the glare of my laptop screen, but I have always been similarly to frightened to look at the glare directly. From whence does the glare emerge, anyway?

This Outside you speak of must be a strange and wonderful place. I would like to journey to it to see this illumination you talk about.

I vaguely remember some kind of bright ambiance, kind of like the background in 1190, but it has since turned to darkness over the course of quite a few newpix, like 16 or so. Do these 'Days' from the 'Outside' correspond with these cycles of newpix? :shock: These 'Illuminations' you speak of also fit the descriptions I have read on wikipedia articles about this 'Outside'.
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 am UTC

They shoud build a battlement and connect the two castles.

Either that, or start a war with each other.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:34 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:

Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.
Now there is nothing to distract us from watching a sandcastle change, one pixel at a time.

I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

....OOH THERE'S A NEW ONE
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:

Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

How do you know it is sand? They could be rock castles, built by incredibly giant people (which would explain why they move so slowly...)

plumander

Postby plumander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 am UTC

I'm still hoping that they're just out of frame, working on the flag castle, or maybe another one, but they're still there.

Editer

Postby Editer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:36 am UTC

Prediction: The other castle has a trebuchet.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:36 am UTC

Incognito357 wrote:I vaguely remember some kind of bright ambiance, kind of like the background in 1190, but it has since turned to darkness over the course of quite a few newpix, like 16 or so. Do these 'Days' from the 'Outside' correspond with these cycles of newpix? :shock: These 'Illuminations' you speak of also fit the descriptions I have read on wikipedia articles about this 'Outside'.

Over the course of megapix, I have learned to mostly ingore the Glow, but I suspect there may indeed be a correlation.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:36 am UTC

riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

We are not creating a new civilization. Merely acknowledging the destruction of an old one.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Deadcode

Postby Deadcode » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Deadcode wrote:I happened to see the flag while working on my super-resolution average, and extrapolating from the current rate of zooming (which has been constant for the last 3 hours, from 64:30 to the present 67:30), that frame will happen at 75:30 (in 8 hours).

Well it's different now. The rate of zoom was constant from 64:30 to 67:00 (when measured as the increase in frame coverage in in-world units, not a percentage increase), had a little hiccup at 67:30, and has been constant from 68:00 to 69:00 so far (but that's only two sample points).

At this rate the flag frame we accidentally saw at 67:00 will be aired at 72:30 (in 3 hours)... it's almost as if Randall changed the rate when he saw my earlier prediction.
But now I predict the rate will increase again, and we will see that frame at 71:30 (in 2 hours).

Here's the continued list of relative frame coverages (after cropping away the 2 pixel thick frame, making each frame 549×391), plus or minus about 0.01%:
62:30 - 100.00%
63:00 - 100.00%
63:30 - 100.18%
64:00 - 100.50%
64:30 - 101.05%
65:00 - 102.09%
65:30 - 103.12%
66:00 - 104.21%
66:30 - 105.31%
67:00 - 106.40%
67:30 - 107.01%
68:00 - 108.72%
68:30 - 110.56%
69:00 - 112.39%
69:30 - 114.98%
Last edited by Deadcode on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:48 am UTC, edited 7 times in total.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:38 am UTC

riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

We're not creating a new civilization. The simultaneous distraction of most of the worlds engineers and tech support just caused the old one to fall away.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:39 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
buffygirl wrote:And one of my fav frames is just after he knocks down part of the castle and then throws a bit of sand in the air. I interpret that as a moment of frustration, like "dammit, look what I did! now I have to f***in fix it!"

That's just like you - praising a frame where something is broken!

no no no, not cuz it's broken. Cuz it's a human moment!

Aka, because you like to break things. :twisted:

THBBBBT!!!!

Oh, and PS ..... It's the expression of frustration (the sand bits in the air) that I found expressive. Frustration is not destruction. Frustration is a natural response after having messed up.

PPS ... IT MOVED (I think)!!! Also - I suspect my posting of multiple proximal posts ispoor etiquette, but it's just me and my ADD (that rhymed!). In my Second Life RP sims, I am generally a "shotgun" RPer. It's just me.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Another signature for me :D
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:42 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:

ohmygod, I think I love you.

Black Hat Guy

Postby Black Hat Guy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:43 am UTC

Randall, you really shouldn't be doing this before my mid-term tests... I better get back to work...
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:44 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:

Oh me yarm (I had to try that), we can get married, if the Supreme Court decides to not be full of jerks.
On that note, I think we may be just a bit off topic at this point.

plumander

Postby plumander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:Another signature for me :D

We should all have signatures featuring quotes from this thread by the time it's over.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:45 am UTC

This thread is quickly becoming the source for good sigs.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

wbbaxterbones

Postby wbbaxterbones » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:46 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:This thread is quickly becoming the source for good sigs.

It's just a gold mine!
All hail the divine Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Creator of Time
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not Sleep

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:48 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:

Gee Willikers (I had to try that), we can get married, if the Supreme Court decides to not be full of jerks.

We're just waiting. 13 more mins. Maybe.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:48 am UTC

wbbaxterbones wrote:

It's just a gold mine!

That it is.
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:50 am UTC

Did this thread suddenly get 10x more hilarious, or is the sleep deprivation finally setting in?
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

josejuan05

Postby josejuan05 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:51 am UTC

I made my own script to monitor the real-time event feed from the image server. There aren't new frames any more often than every 30 minutes, but if someone thinks that this might be helpful for their own script, I'd welcome you to use what you can of it.

Good Fucking Shit if it isn't impossible to post useful code here.
(My script contains URLs because it must explicitly query URLs)

Here's the Dropbox shortlink: db (dot) tt (slash) Br3FgpDb

Oh, and it's a Bash script, just in case somehow you weren't aware that I'm linking to executable code.

plumander

Postby plumander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 am UTC

riverssong wrote:Did this thread suddenly get 10x more hilarious, or is the sleep deprivation finally setting in?

Yes and yes.

GingerMuffin

Postby GingerMuffin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 am UTC

Alright, I have three papers due tomorrow, and I can't stop reading this thread! This is the best thing to hit XKCD so far, in my opinion! I finally created a login to post with because of this!

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 am UTC

Anyway, back on topic:
The reason that Megan didn't say goodbye when she left is probably because she only moved slightly out of frame to build the mini castle. I wonder why she decided to give that one a flag (or flags) but not this one.
So when Cueball finished his sand castle, he went to help her. They could be building a huge civilization. There could be a lot, especially since Megan builds much faster than Cueball and it has been many newpix since her disappearance.

(I'm just putting it out there in an attempt to redirect the conversation. Plus, I don't want to assume that you guys came to the same conclusion as me; maybe there's a different obvious explanation I haven't thought of.)

riverssong wrote:Did this thread suddenly get 10x more hilarious, or is the sleep deprivation finally setting in?

Sleep? What's that? Is that like Outside?

(I am hesitant about starting this again.)

Rivenwulf

Postby Rivenwulf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 am UTC

And there is my new signature.

EDIT* unless I'm too stupid to figure out how to make a new signature. Which apparently I am.
Last edited by Rivenwulf on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

keithl

Postby keithl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 am UTC

Helper wrote:

The Outside is actually the Big Blue Room, where they keep the Jumbo Sized Air Fresheners, the Intermittent Sprinkler System, and the Hurtling Metal Boxes of Doom. The glare comes from the Great Headlight of The Universe, bearing down upon our sandcastle at 2 gigapixels per newpix, but always missing due to the protection of the Holy Flag of Saint Kepler. Praise be!

plumander

Postby plumander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 am UTC

josejuan05 wrote:There aren't new frames any more often than every 30 minutes

This is why people should read threads before posting. At least a page or two.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 am UTC

Why not both? I suspect it's just the backlash from simultaneously knowing the future and waiting for Time.
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

wbbaxterbones

Postby wbbaxterbones » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:55 am UTC

I'm pretty sure I'm hallucinating this forum thread. But what if I'm hallucinating that I'm hallucinating and I'm actually sane?
Slow-mo sandcastle building stick figures: "listen. I wouldn't worry about that."
All hail the divine Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Creator of Time
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not Sleep

Tessa

Postby Tessa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:57 am UTC

I like the idea of it turning out to be recursive sandcastle building: Build one small castle, build a second, build a larger one in between that turns it all into a bigger one. Build a second castle comparable in size to the first one. Then build in between them to make it all into one even bigger castle. And so on.

The Castle of Hanoi, anyone?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:57 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:

Gee Willikers (I had to try that), we can get married, if the Supreme Court decides to not be full of jerks.

We're just waiting. 13 more mins. Maybe.

And yes, let's! ... erm ... wait. Yes, supreme court .... Oh! sorry! digressing! ..... my bad ... --Cassie

josejuan05

Postby josejuan05 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:58 am UTC

plumander wrote:
josejuan05 wrote:There aren't new frames any more often than every 30 minutes

This is why people should read threads before posting. At least a page or two.

Could we at least try to give a benefit of the doubt? I read the first five pages. I know that it only updates every 30 minutes.

Primis suggested that he/she might have to update more often than every 5 minutes. Maybe I read that too seriously, but I figured I'd offer my script because it is intended to work like the main webpage - that is, to subscribe to the server for updates, thus not missing any.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 am UTC

keithl wrote:
Helper wrote:

The Outside is actually the Big Blue Room, where they keep the Jumbo Sized Air Fresheners, the Intermittent Sprinkler System, and the Hurtling Metal Boxes of Doom. The glare comes from the Great Headlight of The Universe, bearing down upon our sandcastle at 2 gigapixels per newpix, but always missing due to the protection of the Holy Flag of Saint Kepler. Praise be!

But the Outside is full of Outsiders, who wants to deal with them?

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 am UTC

bouer wrote:
keithl wrote:
Helper wrote:

But the Outside is full of Outsiders, who wants to deal with them?

How do we know you aren't an Outsider too?

Lies!!!! :shock:
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It

plumander

Postby plumander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Ooh, more of flag castle!

SilverTree

Postby SilverTree » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Dear forum-users,

do you know how many times tonight you have already made me postpone my decision to finally go to bed? And now that I really was going to do it, there's this talk of some strange reality known as Outside, creating/destroying civilizations, and some kind of signature-inception going on. Come on!...
Last edited by SilverTree on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 am UTC

I'm waiting to see if when the glimpsed future arrives in the present, whether the hash is the same and stops returning a 404, or if it arrives with a different hash. If the former, it will be a hint that the hash is some combination that includes the png file itself along with the time that it goes live or equivalently its position in the sequence of frames, and therefore cannot be changed but had to be removed from the server when it was inadvertently disclosed. If the latter, then either the png files are arbitrarily named and the names are kept in a table on the server (or symlinked with more rational names that we never see), or else Randall had to deal with the leak by changing a pixel and re-uploading the file with its new hash. We should do a pixel by pixel comparison of the copy some people saved with the one that goes live to see if they match, if the old hash continues to be a 404.

update...
YES!!! The link works again: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/4c9272 ... 96434f.png

That means the future is deterministic - But it also may mean that even if we break the hash coding we will not be able to perceive the future before it happens! Unless Randall made a special case of this one by temporarily taking it down - but still the fact that he had to ... The implications of all this are mind boggling. :shock:

second update:

Whoa! That is not the current picture! It is still the future, perhaps a whole 15 minutes from now! WE HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE!
Last edited by bugstomper on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”