1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bouer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:03 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
bouer wrote:
keithl wrote:
Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

I don't know. Nobody does. There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it. And on occasional, the rooms feels warmer and is illuminated and I see what I can only assume to the Outside in the glare of my laptop screen, but I have always been similarly to frightened to look at the glare directly. From whence does the glare emerge, anyway?

The Outside is actually the Big Blue Room, where they keep the Jumbo Sized Air Fresheners, the Intermittent Sprinkler System, and the Hurtling Metal Boxes of Doom. The glare comes from the Great Headlight of The Universe, bearing down upon our sandcastle at 2 gigapixels per newpix, but always missing due to the protection of the Holy Flag of Saint Kepler. Praise be!

But the Outside is full of Outsiders, who wants to deal with them?

How do we know you aren't an Outsider too?

Lies!!!! :shock:

The fact I know what a "newpix" is is probably a good hint.

wbbaxterbones

Postby wbbaxterbones » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:03 am UTC

plumander wrote:Ooh, more of flag castle!

Intellectual discourse at its finest ;)

Oh how I love this whole journey :)
All hail the divine Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Creator of Time
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not Sleep

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:03 am UTC

An overview of the last 2000+ posts on this thread
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:
Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
915 Connoisseur of frames
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Wave destroys castle(s)
- BHG shows up (with possible destruction of castle(s))
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- Somehow loops back to start frame
- Ends with an April Fools
- Goes on for months (maybe forever)
- wait for it....
Off topic discussions
Spoiler:
- Gender Neutral Pronouns
- The fact that this thread has beat every possible record for the forums
- Does Y'all refer to a group or one person etc...
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Newpic is also accepted as a singular version.
Did you guys see the Javascript?? (the answer is yes)
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Speculated meanings behind this comic
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Increase Forum Activity
- To make the most posted forum topic something other than a massive flame war
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- Its just a freaking sandcastle... don't read into it...
- April Fools Leadup
- Taking a vacation and wanted something to keep our attention

Ok guys... I added to the bump post.... Tell me if I missed anything...
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

plumander

Postby plumander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:04 am UTC

bouer wrote:The fact I know what a "newpix" is is probably a good hint.

Didn't we decide on singular newpic, plural newpix?

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:06 am UTC

OMG!

I've traveled here from page 239 of this thread to post this:

OMGZ IT'S FROM THE FUTURE!
Spoiler:
Last edited by chem1190c on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:06 am UTC

bouer wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
bouer wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:
inhalvast wrote:I'd rather not have that happen for our own sanity's sake.

That ship ship sailed 140 newp-- er, three days ago.

Days? What are those?
From your 140 newp(ix, I'm assuming) comment, I'll assume that one day is... 46 2/3 newpix. What an impractical unit of measurement. Why would you use days?

I think days have something to do with the Outside. I don't know why anyone would care about the Outside when they could be inside watching a virtual sandcastle though.

Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

You guys are crazy. I love you. XD (Also, sigging that.)

riverssong wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

I don't know. Nobody does. There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it. And on occasional, the rooms feels warmer and is illuminated and I see what I can only assume to the Outside in the glare of my laptop screen, but I have always been similarly to frightened to look at the glare directly. From whence does the glare emerge, anyway?

EDIT: Also, sigged. :D

Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.
Now there is nothing to distract us from watching a sandcastle change, one pixel at a time.

I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

....OOH THERE'S A NEW ONE

And I would sig that too if I had the room.

NoEdge wrote:Anyway, back on topic:
The reason that Megan didn't say goodbye when she left is probably because she only moved slightly out of frame to build the mini castle. I wonder why she decided to give that one a flag (or flags) but not this one.
So when Cueball finished his sand castle, he went to help her. They could be building a huge civilization. There could be a lot, especially since Megan builds much faster than Cueball and it has been many newpix since her disappearance.

(I'm just putting it out there in an attempt to redirect the conversation. Plus, I don't want to assume that you guys came to the same conclusion as me; maybe there's a different obvious explanation I haven't thought of.)

riverssong wrote:Did this thread suddenly get 10x more hilarious, or is the sleep deprivation finally setting in?

Sleep? What's that? Is that like Outside?

(I am hesitant about starting this again.)

What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle. (Dangit, I know I'm trying to bring in a reference here, but I can't quite place it...)

wbbaxterbones wrote:
riverssong wrote:Did this thread suddenly get 10x more hilarious, or is the sleep deprivation finally setting in?

I'm pretty sure I'm hallucinating this forum thread. But what if I'm hallucinating that I'm hallucinating and I'm actually sane?
Slow-mo sandcastle building stick figures: "listen. I wouldn't worry about that."

I think we need to gather every reference in this thread now. If that's even possible. (It might take too many newpix... we've spent so many of those already!)

See, this is why the Outside fell: it wasn't because the tech people looked away for three days, it was because this world is so much better. It couldn't handle the awesomeness.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:07 am UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:The frame definitely just shifted slightly to the left! (So the castle appeared to shift slightly to the right.)

riverssong wrote:
I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL.

I want this on a t-shirt underneath the image of the sandcastle.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84764842/tshir ... -pixel.jpg
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 am UTC

plumander wrote:

I don't think we finished that conversation. Keithl used "2 gigapixels per newpix" so I just used his/hers/its/y'alls conventions.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Thank you for that, KroniK. ery useful.
And I see the new image hasn't been posted yet?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:09 am UTC

plumander wrote:

I certainly wasn't consulted on that matter.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Tessa wrote:I like the idea of it turning out to be recursive sandcastle building: Build one small castle, build a second, build a larger one in between that turns it all into a bigger one. Build a second castle comparable in size to the first one. Then build in between them to make it all into one even bigger castle. And so on.

The Castle of Hanoi, anyone?

I was thinking Cantor Sand. Or reverse-Cantor Sand. What?

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 am UTC

plumander wrote:
squonk wrote:Checking down near the bottom of the forum index page, we're apparently nearing the 100th anniversary of the time when the most users were ever online.

In total there are 800 users online :: 96 registered, 6 hidden and 698 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1977 on Tue Feb 22, 1916 1:09 pm UTC

Fans were obviously more dedicated back then, given that so many got together on their steam driven computers, sending punch cards back and forth during the middle of World War I...

They say Woodrow Wilson was an avid XKCD follower.

But sometimes it took weeks for the new pigeoncomic to be delivered.
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 am UTC

free-bee wrote:
BJ Nemeth wrote:The frame definitely just shifted slightly to the left! (So the castle appeared to shift slightly to the right.)

riverssong wrote:

dl(dot)dropbox(dot)com/u/84764842/tshirt-castle-pixel.jpg

503 error. :/ But do want.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

chemistryteacher

Postby chemistryteacher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:11 am UTC

I searched for a while but after 20 minutes I could not find it. Can someone bump the "accidental" image of the flag that happened earlier today? I missed that while I was at work.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:12 am UTC

I prefer singular: newpix, plural: newpices.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:12 am UTC

I've been visiting xkcd for quite some time now and i never felt the need to have a forum account.
Just letting you all know i'm enjoying this thread A LOT.
Keep up the .. whatever is going on here.

DerPeser

Postby DerPeser » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:12 am UTC

Oh boy - this is just excellent! I've been following this thread for three days and you guys are still on fire - xkcd readers are simply the best =)

sqrdsqr

Postby sqrdsqr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 am UTC

bouer wrote:
plumander wrote:

I don't think we finished that conversation. Keithl used "2 gigapixels per newpix" so I just used his/hers/its/y'alls conventions.

But what is a gigapixel?

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 am UTC

chemistryteacher wrote:I searched for a while but after 20 minutes I could not find it. Can someone bump the "accidental" image of the flag that happened earlier today? I missed that while I was at work.

Last edited by patzer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 am UTC

SilverTree wrote:Dear forum-users,

do you know how many times tonight you have already made me postpone my decision to finally go to bed? And now that I really was going to do it, there's this talk of some strange reality known as Outside, creating/destroying civilizations, and some kind of signature-inception going on. Come on!...

Sigged :D
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 am UTC

chemistryteacher wrote:I searched for a while but after 20 minutes I could not find it. Can someone bump the "accidental" image of the flag that happened earlier today? I missed that while I was at work.

Wait for it.
Somebody predicted that it would be up about four newpix from now. (3 17/30 newpix, if you want to be precise.)
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
free-bee wrote:

riverssong wrote:

http://muknot.com/images/tshirt-castle-pixel.jpg
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 am UTC

How about, to screw with the Outsiders we use newpix for the singular and newpic for the plural?

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:15 am UTC

keithl wrote:The Outside is actually the Big Blue Room, where they keep the Jumbo Sized Air Fresheners, the Intermittent Sprinkler System, and the Hurtling Metal Boxes of Doom. The glare comes from the Great Headlight of The Universe, bearing down upon our sandcastle at 2 gigapixels per newpix, but always missing due to the protection of the Holy Flag of Saint Kepler. Praise be!

Blasphemy. Perhaps that is how it worked in the past, many newpix ago, but we are now in the Age of A New Peace.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am UTC

EDIT: darn... thought this would be first post of next page :P
Last edited by KroniK907 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am UTC

bouer wrote:How about, to screw with the Outsiders we use newpix for the singular and newpic for the plural?

I thought that the Outsiders were all killed in the Great Flame War.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am UTC

sqrdsqr wrote:
bouer wrote:
plumander wrote:

But what is a gigapixel?

gigapixel = 1 000 000 000 pixels

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 am UTC

Over 300 people with way too many newpix on their hands.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 am UTC

patzer wrote:I prefer singular: newpix, plural: newpices.

1 newpix = 33.8 newpices (or 273.15 newpics)

Don't you just hate unit conversions?

Which reminds me.. I should be grading lab reports right now, but instead I'm sitting here watching a pixel by pixel update to a sandcastle!

sqrdsqr

Postby sqrdsqr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 am UTC

bouer wrote:
sqrdsqr wrote:
bouer wrote:
plumander wrote:

But what is a gigapixel?

gigapixel = 1 000 000 000 pixels

Wait, the great headlight updates that many pixels per newpic? Wow... truly amazing what they have outside.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 am UTC

free-bee wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
free-bee wrote:

riverssong wrote:

http://muknot.com/images/tshirt-castle-pixel.jpg

Thanks! Definitely do want.

Helper wrote:
keithl wrote:The Outside is actually the Big Blue Room, where they keep the Jumbo Sized Air Fresheners, the Intermittent Sprinkler System, and the Hurtling Metal Boxes of Doom. The glare comes from the Great Headlight of The Universe, bearing down upon our sandcastle at 2 gigapixels per newpix, but always missing due to the protection of the Holy Flag of Saint Kepler. Praise be!

Blasphemy. Perhaps that is how it worked in the past, many newpix ago, but we are now in the Age of A New Peace.

Quite so. Leave the Past behind. Join us in brotherhood. It is time not to fight, but to live.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 am UTC

free-bee wrote:

riverssong wrote:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84764842/tshir ... -pixel.jpg

I would be deeply, DEEPLY thrilled to have my words associated in any sort of tangible way with the magnificence of this event.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 am UTC

bouer wrote:gigapixel = 1 000 000 000 pixels

I think it's octal based, though. 8^9, perhaps?

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Feel Free to Bump

Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- wait for it....
Off topic discussions
Spoiler:
- What is outside? Is that like Mesopotamia?
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- April Fools Leadup

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:
Spoiler:
Feel Free to Bump

[spoiler]
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- wait for it....
Off topic discussions
Spoiler:
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- April Fools Leadup

Ok guys... I added to the bump post.... Tell me if I missed anything...[/spoiler]

Soon we'll need a wiki :shock:

keithl

Postby keithl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 am UTC

bouer wrote:
plumander wrote:

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. It should indeed be newpic, not the profane and plural newpix - there is only the One True Picture, now and for all Time. I feel so unclean. Pray for the forgiveness of my sins!

Questioning_mark

Postby Questioning_mark » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 am UTC

I've been humming Hendrix's "Castles made of sand" for the last 2 days.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 am UTC

Incidentally, how have the xkcd servers not imploded yet?

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:22 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
Helper wrote:

Quite so. Leave the Past behind. Join us in brotherhood. It is time not to fight, but to live.

I think we need a motto.
Something like:

We reject the Outside
We know of the Castles
We watch Time
We do not Sleep
Join us
Last edited by bouer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:26 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:23 am UTC

I edited my earlier post to update it with this information, but I'll put it in its own post for emphasis.

The hash that was leaked earlier and which then went 404 now works:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/4c9272 ... 96434f.png
but it is still in the future! Maybe it is scheduled for the next frame, in about nine minutes from now as I type this.
That hints that the hashes are pretty fixed, perhaps including the file contents and the time to release as part of the input to the hash function, and that Randall manually made it 404 when it was leaked.

update...
Nope, looks like another turret-width to go, maybe one or at most two more frames at this rate. Wow, we really did get to look into the future!
Last edited by bugstomper on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”