1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Zentdayn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zentdayn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Soon news agencies will use GB/newpix on headlines for ddos attacks ( giving them added sensationalism).
Imagine the headlines:
"NEW:somesite hit by 1800GB/newpix ddos attack"

pete3442

Postby pete3442 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 am UTC

patzer wrote:
KroniK907 wrote:snip

Soon we'll need a wiki :shock:

I need to go to bed in a few newpix. Without one, I may never catch up. Oh me yarm
bouer wrote:We're not creating a new civilization. The simultaneous distraction of most of the worlds engineers and tech support just caused the old one to fall away.

NoEdge wrote:I feel like we're close to starting a religion, if we haven't already.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 am UTC

bugstomper wrote:I edited my earlier post to update it with this information, but I'll put it in its own post for emphasis.

The hash that was leaked earlier and which then went 404 now works:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/4c9272 ... 96434f.png
but it is still in the future! Maybe it is scheduled for the next frame, in about nine minutes from now as I type this.
That hints that the hashes are pretty fixed, perhaps including the file contents and the time to release as part of the input to the hash function, and that Randall manually made it 404 when it was leaked.

It may be the next newpic then. Upload the next pic to the server to prevent a 404 (like when it was removed). But only the next so to prevent us seeing too far ahead should someone crack the code.

EDIT
I was completely wrong, then.
Last edited by free-bee on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:28 am UTC

pete3442 wrote:
patzer wrote:

I need to go to bed in a few newpix. Without one, I may never catch up. Gee Willikers

What is this bed you speak of? Does it relate to this concept of "sleep"? All there is is the deprivation of newpix. Blasphemy!
Last edited by Wraithlord on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:28 am UTC

I just remembered, earlier today, a neighbor was burning a burn-pile. Across the street. Directly outside my window. Behind me. You guys scare me.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:30 am UTC

After learning about primal instincts, and linking these instincts to 'sleep' and 'day' and 'illuminations', I've figured it out. These primal instincts we have to look away from Time are the root of all evil, and must not be given in to! Do away with this sleep! We don't need you're kind here! Ignore the tempting glare of the illumination! If you immerse yourself in the newpix and the corresponding thread, Time will have met its match!
Spoiler:
Among my findings of primal instincts, I have come across a few other problems which others may be able to relate to:
- The temptation to ignore the newpic and lay down (you run the risk of missing upwards of 20 newpix depending on how long you have resisted so far)
- The turmoil in your stomach, which is (if my sources are correct) directly correlated to Food. While not as bad as the first, it poses the risk of inducing the first as a side effect.
- The idea that Time will wait for you, or that Time is moving slowly enough to ignore the following newpic.
- Do not fall for the trickery of Time itself. It is a mysterious force that cannot be trifled with.
- The Outsiders will try, at any cost, to induce one or all of these symptoms. Be very wary, they are a maddening folk.
Last edited by Incognito357 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:30 am UTC

OK, that was a good FIVE pixels!!! We're making progress!!

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:33 am UTC

I've been watching this thread since the 20's (pages, that is), and I finally registered to say how awesome it is that the community has created so much because of one fairly simple, but amazing (and addicting) comic.

GodRaimundo

Postby GodRaimundo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:35 am UTC

I may have to give in to 'sleep' soon, as I can feel my eyelids drooping, and I have to be prepared for work in about 20 newpix.

BUT TIME HAS A GRIP UPON ME AND I CANNOT ESCAPE ITS INEXORABLE MARCH

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 am UTC

pete3442 wrote:
patzer wrote:

I need to go to bed in a few newpix. Without one, I may never catch up. Gee Willikers

here you go
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Xkcd_time_Wiki
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:37 am UTC

patzer wrote:
pete3442 wrote:
patzer wrote:

here you go

Or we could take over borrow Wikipedia's Time page.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

sqrdsqr

Postby sqrdsqr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
patzer wrote:
pete3442 wrote:
patzer wrote:

here you go

Or we could take over borrow Wikipedia's Time page.

Either way, lets get all the bumped stuff put on the wiki and then all we have to bump is the wiki page

plumander

Postby plumander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 am UTC

We're definitely the most dedicated comic thread.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 am UTC

bouer wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Helper wrote:
keithl wrote:The Outside is actually the Big Blue Room, where they keep the Jumbo Sized Air Fresheners, the Intermittent Sprinkler System, and the Hurtling Metal Boxes of Doom. The glare comes from the Great Headlight of The Universe, bearing down upon our sandcastle at 2 gigapixels per newpix, but always missing due to the protection of the Holy Flag of Saint Kepler. Praise be!

Blasphemy. Perhaps that is how it worked in the past, many newpix ago, but we are now in the Age of A New Peace.

Quite so. Leave the Past behind. Join us in brotherhood. It is time not to fight, but to live.

I think we need a motto.
Something like:

We reject the Outside
We know of the Castles
We watch Time
We do not Sleep
Join us

Mottos. Mottos are things of the Outside, and must be eliminated. They take far too many newpix to create, and even more to spread; everybody knows there are only newpix for the watching of the movement of sandcastle pixels. If you succumb to this temptation, then you might fall prey to the many distractions of the Outside!
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:40 am UTC

keithl wrote:
Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

I don't know. Nobody does. There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it. And on occasional, the rooms feels warmer and is illuminated and I see what I can only assume to the Outside in the glare of my laptop screen, but I have always been similarly to frightened to look at the glare directly. From whence does the glare emerge, anyway?

The Outside is actually the Big Blue Room, where they keep the Jumbo Sized Air Fresheners, the Intermittent Sprinkler System, and the Hurtling Metal Boxes of Doom. The glare comes from the Great Headlight of The Universe, bearing down upon our sandcastle at 2 gigapixels per newpix, but always missing due to the protection of the Holy Flag of Saint Kepler. Praise be!

And people who are not aware of the One Darkening Pixel! We shall call them... People who are not aware of the One Darkening Pixel. (Or maybe the Outsiders, but it doesn't quite, you know, gel for me...)
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

SilverTree

Postby SilverTree » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 am UTC

This time I've actually seen the frame changing. I will now surrender to that Outside force known as Sleep. Goodbye, fellow Initiates. May your newpix be filled with joy.

(I wonder how many new pages of discussion I'll have tomorrow.)

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
dp2 wrote:Actually, it got me thinking about why we assume the genders of the characters in the comic. That then broadened to how we know the gender of ANY xkcd character. Hair? Ridiculous. Clothing? Being intimate with another character? Please -- are you paying attention to what's happening in the Supreme Court this week (maybe some of you aren't because you'r'e too busy with this comic)?
So, everyone's assignment between frames is this: pick a regular xkcd character and find the first proof of that character's gender within a comic.
Go!
I call Megan!! http://xkcd.com/631/
Nope! This one is earlier! http://xkcd.com/583/

I beg to differ. If the long-haired one in #583 were male, that could very well explain why "could not reproduce". Unless the hairless one were female, in which case it might just be timing or something. Granted, the phrasing "do me without a condom" does somewhat imply speakee male, but not certainly so.

Now, back to catching up on the last *mumble* pages of comments . . . .
Added: OK, ShinyPinkRose and jello34543, at least, beat me to it. No surprise there. Back to the grind.
Last edited by KarMann on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC

zaphodbeebledoc wrote:And people who are not aware of the One Darkening Pixel! We shall call them... People who are not aware of the One Darkening Pixel. (Or maybe the Outsiders, but it doesn't quite, you know, gel for me...)

What is Gel? I once heard it has something to do with hair. Hmm, hair...

When I was young I had hair, but now that I'm an adult I have put aside my hairy ways.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

immyls

Postby immyls » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:44 am UTC

so, i registered to this to remind you all that time is an illusion that is only perceived by lack of adequate 4th dimensional sensory apparatus, and that you should seriously consider, if you are going to persist in insisting that it is a real thing, altering your communal time chat to use a useful, or at least accessible unit, like newpix, rather than that perplexing outside UTC concept that currently marks the 4th dimensional component of your conversation. perhaps that way others will be able to navigate more comprehensibly thru your conversation.

BJ Nemeth

Postby BJ Nemeth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Technically speaking, a newpic isn't exactly equal to a period of 30 minutes; it is a measurement of how many new frames will be or have been posted to the One True Comic. Anything more precise than that is meaningless, because there are only two states of being -- looking at a new frame, or waiting for the next frame to appear.

An example:

If, at 10:45 pm, I say that I will be gone for two newpix, that doesn't necessarily mean one hour. That would indicate a non-specific duration between 45 minutes and one hour and 15 minutes -- the amount of time it would take to miss two new frames of the One True Comic.

Sure, it might be easier to simply equate one newpic to 30 minutes, but that's Outsider thinking. Your allegiance is to the One True Comic.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:46 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
bouer wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Helper wrote:
keithl wrote:The Outside is actually the Big Blue Room, where they keep the Jumbo Sized Air Fresheners, the Intermittent Sprinkler System, and the Hurtling Metal Boxes of Doom. The glare comes from the Great Headlight of The Universe, bearing down upon our sandcastle at 2 gigapixels per newpix, but always missing due to the protection of the Holy Flag of Saint Kepler. Praise be!

Blasphemy. Perhaps that is how it worked in the past, many newpix ago, but we are now in the Age of A New Peace.

Quite so. Leave the Past behind. Join us in brotherhood. It is time not to fight, but to live.

I think we need a motto.
Something like:

We reject the Outside
We know of the Castles
We watch Time
We do not Sleep
Join us

Mottos. Mottos are things of the Outside, and must be eliminated. They take far too many newpix to create, and even more to spread; everybody knows there are only newpix for the watching of the movement of sandcastle pixels. If you succumb to this temptation, then you might fall prey to the many distractions of the Outside!

What about:

All hail Lord Randall
The creator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of newpix
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Who says they made the sand castle we saw first, first. Maybe they made the sand castle that we are now starting to see before this one. When we saw the couple on the beach they were taking a break from building the first one (second one we are seeing). They ran out of flag while building it the first castle, thus no flags on the first castle we saw.
Just a thought.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 am UTC

I feel like we're close to starting a religion, if we haven't already.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 am UTC

Say, for example, that someone might create a Wikipedia article for our new unit of time. Should the title be "newpic"? Or should it be "newpix"? Should there first be some sort of vote held to determine the accepted forms, for singular and plural?
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 am UTC

Assuming that the comic eventually loops back in on itself, we should probably start calling the first frame the newpixpoch.. thus the transition from the last frame (which will appear at some unspecified point many giganewpix from now) back to the initial frame will have to be regarded as the newpixpocalypse.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 am UTC

Gee Willikers, grief counseling, and cake will probably have to be served at the end of this enrichment center activity Time.
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:Say, for example, that someone might create a Wikipedia article for our new unit of time. Should the title be "newpic"? Or should it be "newpix"? Should there first be some sort of vote held to determine the accepted forms, for singular and plural?

I vote for 'newpix', and 'newpix'. 'newpic' is nonsense.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 am UTC

TheRic wrote:Who says they made the sand castle we saw first, first. Maybe they made the sand castle that we are now starting to see before this one. When we saw the couple on the beach they were taking a break from building the first one (second one we are seeing). They ran out of flag while building it the first castle, thus no flags on the first castle we saw.
Just a thought.

They could have built an entire world of sandcastles; the camera could zoom and pan to show tens of thousands of sandcastles. That's my hope, any way.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 am UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:Technically speaking, a newpic isn't exactly equal to a period of 30 minutes; it is a measurement of how many new frames will be or have been posted to the One True Comic. Anything more precise than that is meaningless, because there are only two states of being -- looking at a new frame, or waiting for the next frame to appear.

And thus we become binary followers of the One True Comic. 1190 is our sacred number, The Comic our master.

Update: I also agree that newpic is nonsense
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

sqrdsqr

Postby sqrdsqr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:Say, for example, that someone might create a Wikipedia article for our new unit of time. Should the title be "newpic"? Or should it be "newpix"? Should there first be some sort of vote held to determine the accepted forms, for singular and plural?

I vote in favor of Newpic for singular, Newpix for plural.

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 am UTC

Obviously it should be ~*~ nEwPiX ~*~

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
All hail Lord Randall
The creator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of newpix

A better one would be:

All hail the divine Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Creator of Time
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
Last edited by Wraithlord on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 am UTC

Already happened, and the title is newpix.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

willyshop

Postby willyshop » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 am UTC

The frame will zoom out until all the castles are but grains of sand on another beach, with a stick figure couple sitting peacefully

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 am UTC

darthjimmy wrote:
BJ Nemeth wrote:Technically speaking, a newpic isn't exactly equal to a period of 30 minutes; it is a measurement of how many new frames will be or have been posted to the One True Comic. Anything more precise than that is meaningless, because there are only two states of being -- looking at a new frame, or waiting for the next frame to appear.

And thus we become binary followers of the One True Comic. 1190 is our sacred number, The Comic our master.

At least it makes sense. :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:52 am UTC

Common usage seems to dictate newpic as singular, newpix as plural. And wiki has an article for Metre, not Metres; article names are in the singular form. Keep in mind, the Outsiders tend to destroy what they don't understand. Your article may not last long.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Darn it. I was planning on playing Kerbal Space Programm today, but y'all keep posting stuff for me to read!

Maybe if I play for 2 or 3 newpix and then return...

EDIT: And for the discussion of record breaking threads, the madness that was "Pressures" went well beyond 100 pages. So this one has some catching up to do still
Last edited by PolakoVoador on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 am UTC

Ah. There's a Time delay in new users posting to the "Time" thread.. Assuming someone beats me to a punchline while my posts are awaiting approval, can I accuse them of newpixpocketing?

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 am UTC

surely for the heading of any article on units the title is plural?

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 am UTC

An example:

If, at 10:45 pm, I say that I will be gone for two newpix, that doesn't necessarily mean one hour. That would indicate a non-specific duration between 45 minutes and one hour and 15 minutes -- the amount of time it would take to miss two new frames of the One True Comic.

Sure, it might be easier to simply equate one newpic to 30 minutes, but that's Outsider thinking. Your allegiance is to the One True Comic.

TheMulattoMaker wrote:18-19 half-hours (I humbly submit that we begin measuring time in "newpix", equal to thirty standard minutes)

A brief history of newpix:
The watchers of the sandcastle had started measuring time in half-hours.
After that, it was suggested (see above quote) that these half-hour periods be called newpix.
So, newpix are indeed what the Outsiders would call 30 minutes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”