1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thatzanedude

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby thatzanedude » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 am UTC

I think it should be like Moose. It can be one newpix or a thousand newpix. Language is confusing enough, let's leave plurality out of the mix entirely.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Say, for example, that someone might create a Wikipedia article for our new unit of time. Should the title be "newpic"? Or should it be "newpix"? Should there first be some sort of vote held to determine the accepted forms, for singular and plural?

I vote for 'newpix', and 'newpix'. 'newpic' is nonsense.

I'll second that motion

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:55 am UTC

patzer wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Say, for example, that someone might create a Wikipedia article for our new unit of time. Should the title be "newpic"? Or should it be "newpix"? Should there first be some sort of vote held to determine the accepted forms, for singular and plural?

Already happened, and the title is newpix.

Mein Gott. From random sleepy blatherings to a wiki page in less than 30 newpix.

S'been a good day.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:56 am UTC

TheRic wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I'll second that motion

I vote that the usage of both newpic and newpix as singular be acceptable.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Helper wrote:

Common usage seems to dictate newpic as singular, newpix as plural. And wiki has an article for Metre, not Metres; article names are in the singular form. Keep in mind, the Outsiders tend to destroy what they don't understand. Your article may not last long.

+1 for newpix, newpic is ok-ish but doesn't have the same feel.

Not too worried about Outsiders either; if there are enough of us to accidentally bring down a server (sorry, explainXKCD admins) there are enough of us to maintain such an article until the Outsiders give up and leave us alone. And if they don't give up voluntarily, there are always the time vultures...
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 am UTC

Helper wrote:
TheRic wrote:Who says they made the sand castle we saw first, first. Maybe they made the sand castle that we are now starting to see before this one. When we saw the couple on the beach they were taking a break from building the first one (second one we are seeing). They ran out of flag while building it the first castle, thus no flags on the first castle we saw.
Just a thought.

They could have built an entire world of sandcastles; the camera could zoom and pan to show tens of thousands of sandcastles. That's my hope, any way.

With Megan and Cueball sitting on a beach house pouch sipping drinks while watching the sun go down.

GodRaimundo

Postby GodRaimundo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
patzer wrote:

Mein Gott. From random sleepy blatherings to a wiki page in less than 30 newpix.

S'been a good day.

There are no 'days'. 'Days' are an invention by those who would have us believe in the 'Outside'. And where would we be if we all went around listening to them all day?

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:58 am UTC

BJ Nemeth wrote:Technically speaking, a newpic isn't exactly equal to a period of 30 minutes; it is a measurement of how many new frames will be or have been posted to the One True Comic. Anything more precise than that is meaningless, because there are only two states of being -- looking at a new frame, or waiting for the next frame to appear.

An example:

If, at 10:45 pm, I say that I will be gone for two newpix, that doesn't necessarily mean one hour. That would indicate a non-specific duration between 45 minutes and one hour and 15 minutes -- the amount of time it would take to miss two new frames of the One True Comic.

Sure, it might be easier to simply equate one newpic to 30 minutes, but that's Outsider thinking. Your allegiance is to the One True Comic.

I've missed a few newpix, so I am just saying THIS.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:58 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I vote for 'newpix', and 'newpix'. 'newpic' is nonsense.

darthjimmy wrote:I also agree that newpic is nonsense

sqrdsqr wrote:I vote in favor of Newpic for singular, Newpix for plural.

I think I might attempt to understand this Outsider concept of "Sleep", and then return in about 18 newpix and tally the votes. Unless someone else gets the initiative to create the article first, in which case more power to you.

patzer wrote:Already happened, and the title is newpix.

This is not the one true Wikipedia, it is merely the Wiki of this one true Thread.

I mean to spread the tidings of this conversation to the Outside.

Helper wrote:Common usage seems to dictate newpic as singular, newpix as plural. And wiki has an article for Metre, not Metres; article names are in the singular form. Keep in mind, the Outsiders tend to destroy what they don't understand. Your article may not last long.

There is no harm in the attempt. If even one person from the Outside sees the light, it has been well worth the risk.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

SadinaSaphrite

Postby SadinaSaphrite » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:58 am UTC

Look at this. I leave you guys to go to work, and when I come back ten hours later I find that a whole culture has developed.

Thanks for the summary post! I'd have had no idea what was going on!
I put the fun back in dysfunctional and the romance back in necromancer!

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:58 am UTC

I think newpix is good. It feels more "internety." It also reflects that Time is a comic of pixels, not physical pictures.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:59 am UTC

I've lurked this thread for over 40 pages now, since late afternoon Tuesday (PST, so close to end of The Second Day). I must say, when I first saw the comic I thought it was a mere curiosity. I thought maybe the tide would go up and down, or waves would push in and out perhaps. I dismissed it on The First Day out of ignorance. When I came back on The Second Day, I realized it was much more than that. In my absence, these ephemeral characters dubbed Megan and Cueball and begun construction of the now-familiar and magnificent Sand Castle. I stayed up late The Second Day, well into The Third Day as it must be for the servers pushing the Time updates, reading this thread and beginning to understand the full extent of the scope of this event. While browsing, I realized I was among peers here. Many of the oft-repeated concerns (did we get the javascript? will it all end in a disastrous tidal wave?) echoed mine own, in an almost eerie fashion. But yet I feel I still have some thoughts left to contribute.

Perhaps Time is, if not by design, a way to get ourselves to come to terms with our understanding of Time. I realized that just as the characters depicted in this small rectangular moving box of pixels lead lives as Time went on, so did I. So did y'all. Even as they built up their towering sand architecture, I came and went from my computer, undertaking a variety of different tasks as I do regularly. I imagined, in the same manner that Time has been accelerated into a montage of construction, all the moments when I looked at Time, or waited for a newpic, could so be collapsed into a continuous stream of life. I also came to understand that just as we perceive Time as a linear, unidirectional force which can nevertheless be documented, a human life may also be looked at this way. Yet often in our lives we are focused on the current newpic, or the newpic to come. Rarely to we stop and look back, and see all the newpics that have occurred in the past, at the big picture. And when we do, it's often dismissive. "Look at our silly guesses, that were clearly proven wrong by newpic #95." Perhaps we could come to a better understanding of it all if we stopped and examined the pattern of Time, of our lives, and saw the newpics as a whole, perhaps one grand Pic.

Just a thought.

As a final note, I propose we rename the outdated, Outsider concept of a day to a quadragintioctonewpix. I've been informed by a reliable resource that quadraginti- is the prefix for forty, and a Day seems to have encompassed about 48 newpix (give or take a few fractions of a newpic). Who's with me?

pete3442

Postby pete3442 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:59 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
TheRic wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I'll second that motion

I vote that the usage of both newpic and newpix as singular be acceptable.

If singular "they" is ok, then this can work. "newpic" will just be a less grammatically satisfying alternative.
bouer wrote:We're not creating a new civilization. The simultaneous distraction of most of the worlds engineers and tech support just caused the old one to fall away.

NoEdge wrote:I feel like we're close to starting a religion, if we haven't already.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 am UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 am UTC

I personally prefer newpix as both singular as plural, but both newpic and newpix should be accepted because frankly, an argument over this would be silly.

On another note, I think we've started a religion. I'm not sure whether to be horrified or amazed.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Racerdude09

Postby Racerdude09 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 am UTC

And we are now back to 4c92727698b704ee1d02fbd37c94c220d16be4ad3ff6fc03a3fb77ea6d96434f.png, that fabled leaked image. Now we're back to surprises! Huzzah!

QuixoticWonderer

Postby QuixoticWonderer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Hold on. Is it "less than x newpix" or "fewer than x newpix"? "Fewer" is traditionally used for countable items and "less than" for uncountable items, but the plural "newpix" is not necessarily countable. Or is it? Perhaps I am yet unenlightened.

thatzanedude

Postby thatzanedude » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 am UTC

I think it should be like moose. One newpix or a thousand newpix. Language is difficult enough, let's leave plurality out of it.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 am UTC

I prefer "Newpix" for singular, and "Newpix" or "Newpices" for plural.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 am UTC

A newpix has arrived! The dreams of the future have come true!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 am UTC

patzer wrote:Image

It seems to be the same hash. Can anyone confirm?
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 am UTC

QuixoticWonderer wrote:Hold on. Is it "less than x newpix" or "fewer than x newpix"? "Fewer" is traditionally used for countable items and "less than" for uncountable items, but the plural "newpix" is not necessarily countable. Or is it? Perhaps I am yet unenlightened.

Time is, as far as we can tell, infinite. Therefore I submit "less than" as the answer.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 am UTC

GodRaimundo wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:
patzer wrote:

S'been a good day.

There are no 'days'. 'Days' are an invention by those who would have us believe in the 'Outside'. And where would we be if we all went around listening to them all day?

Shouldn't that be "... listening to them for many NewPix?"

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

It looks like it, but I don't know where the url from earlier is.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 am UTC

The prophecy has been realized. All hail the Sandcastle(s).

GodRaimundo

Postby GodRaimundo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 am UTC

I think I'm developing an addiction. I can no longer stay away from this thread for more than a handful of centinewpix.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 am UTC

QuixoticWonderer wrote:Hold on. Is it "less than x newpix" or "fewer than x newpix"? "Fewer" is traditionally used for countable items and "less than" for uncountable items, but the plural "newpix" is not necessarily countable. Or is it? Perhaps I am yet unenlightened.

A newpix is countable. From 8:00pm to 9:00pm is 2 newpix, for example.

Part of the confusion comes froms the dual usage of newpix: it is used both as a unit of time equal to 30 minutes, and a unit of a quantized amount of new updates to The Sandcastle.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 am UTC

well i really need to sleep for some newpix...
Will have to catch up tomorrow..
There goes tomorrow's morning...

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 am UTC

bouer wrote:I think newpix is good. It feels more "internety." It also reflects that Time is a comic of pixels, not physical pictures.

I had been thinking of newpix as short for 'new picture'. I didn't think about pixels. With this revelation I now fully support newpix for both singular and plural.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

sparehead3

Postby sparehead3 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

Confirmed.

4c92727698b704ee1d02fbd37c94c220d16be4ad3ff6fc03a3fb77ea6d96434f.png

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 am UTC

So the present has finally caught up with the future. Excellent.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 am UTC

patzer wrote:
KroniK907 wrote:
Spoiler:
An overview of the last 2000+ posts on this thread
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:
[spoiler]
Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
915 Connoisseur of frames
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Wave destroys castle(s)
- BHG shows up (with possible destruction of castle(s))
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- Somehow loops back to start frame
- Ends with an April Fools
- Goes on for months (maybe forever)
- wait for it....
Off topic discussions
Spoiler:
- Gender Neutral Pronouns
- The fact that this thread has beat every possible record for the forums
- Does Y'all refer to a group or one person etc...
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Newpic is also accepted as a singular version.
Did you guys see the Javascript?? (the answer is yes)
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Speculated meanings behind this comic
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Increase Forum Activity
- To make the most posted forum topic something other than a massive flame war
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- Its just a freaking sandcastle... don't read into it...
- April Fools Leadup
- Taking a vacation and wanted something to keep our attention

Ok guys... I added to the bump post.... Tell me if I missed anything...[/spoiler]

Soon we'll need a wiki :shock:

Hey, explain XKCD is a wiki! We're a pretty good one too, and we explain all the xkcd comics, not just Time!

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:

On another note, I think we've started a religion. I'm not sure whether to be horrified or amazed.

It's not a religion, we've just been compulsively observing and discussing messages from Randall the Author of all Time for 140 newpix because it's interesting. A wiki is hardly a Bible is it?

chemistryteacher

Postby chemistryteacher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:08 am UTC

I believe this is how a religion splits into sects: The Newpix vs. the Newpic (This appears to be a new religion, right? I mean One True Comic...)

fixer

Postby fixer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:08 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:There is no harm in the attempt. If even one person from the Outside sees the light, it has been well worth the risk.

I just finished Stephenson's Anathem and it's getting all conflated in my mind with this new religion of Time.

Okay, it's also possible that the pain meds I'm on are contributing to the effect.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

stupidtimesuck

Postby stupidtimesuck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:09 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:
bouer wrote:I think newpix is good. It feels more "internety." It also reflects that Time is a comic of pixels, not physical pictures.

I had been thinking of newpix as short for 'new picture'. I didn't think about pixels. With this revelation I now fully support newpix for both singular and plural.

Whenever my posts happen to get modded in (do they all show up at once? do they just get interleaved?), "newpix" for both sounds correct as well. One newpix, two newpix...

Of course, this will probably seem stupidly misordered by the time it's actually moderated.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:09 am UTC

bouer wrote:
NoEdge wrote:

It's not a religion, we've just been compulsively observing and discussing messages from Randall the Author of all Time for 140 newpix because it's interesting. A wiki is hardly a Bible is it?

The creation of a Bible dedicated to Randall and the One True Comic is the next step.
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 am UTC

davidy22 wrote:
patzer wrote:
KroniK907 wrote:
Spoiler:
An overview of the last 2000+ posts on this thread
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:
[spoiler]
Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
915 Connoisseur of frames
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Wave destroys castle(s)
- BHG shows up (with possible destruction of castle(s))
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- Somehow loops back to start frame
- Ends with an April Fools
- Goes on for months (maybe forever)
- wait for it....
Off topic discussions
Spoiler:
- Gender Neutral Pronouns
- The fact that this thread has beat every possible record for the forums
- Does Y'all refer to a group or one person etc...
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Newpic is also accepted as a singular version.
Did you guys see the Javascript?? (the answer is yes)
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Speculated meanings behind this comic
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Increase Forum Activity
- To make the most posted forum topic something other than a massive flame war
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- Its just a freaking sandcastle... don't read into it...
- April Fools Leadup
- Taking a vacation and wanted something to keep our attention

Ok guys... I added to the bump post.... Tell me if I missed anything...[/spoiler]

Soon we'll need a wiki :shock:

Hey, explain XKCD is a wiki! We're a pretty good one too, and we explain all the xkcd comics, not just Time!

But, it takes too much Time to load.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 am UTC

davidy22 wrote:

its a wonderful wiki... it just has a habit of crashing

chemistryteacher

Postby chemistryteacher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
bouer wrote:
NoEdge wrote:

The creation of a Bible dedicated to Randall and the One True Comic is the next step.

I wonder if Randall ever could have predicted this would happen based on this comic...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”