1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Nicad

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Nicad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 am UTC

Looks like we just caught up to the leaked image from earlier.

EDIT: Sorry, Ninja'd. By quite a lot, actually. Missed that my first time through the page. Oops.
Last edited by Nicad on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wbbaxterbones

Postby wbbaxterbones » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:12 am UTC

I... I think Randall just turned himself into a Messiah in less than 144 newpix... I think I believe in a religion for the first time in my life.
All hail the divine Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Creator of Time
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not Sleep

sqrdsqr

Postby sqrdsqr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:12 am UTC

chemistryteacher wrote:I believe this is how a religion splits into sects: The Newpix vs. the Newpic (This appears to be a new religion, right? I mean One True Comic...)

And on the Newpix side there are those who beleive it stands for new pixels while some think of it as new pictures:
Goggalor wrote:
bouer wrote:I think newpix is good. It feels more "internety." It also reflects that Time is a comic of pixels, not physical pictures.

I had been thinking of newpix as short for 'new picture'. I didn't think about pixels. With this revelation I now fully support newpix for both singular and plural.

Which brings me to link http://xkcd.com/1095/

deusrex

Postby deusrex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 am UTC

Helper wrote:A newpix is countable. From 8:00pm to 9:00pm is 2 newpix, for example.

But isn't that 3 newpix? 8:00, 830,9:00.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 am UTC

Ok. Sleeping now. Will check back in about 14*10^15 femtonewpix just to make sure I didn't miss any exciting developments!

wud

Postby wud » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 am UTC

We should immediately begin transitioning to a 48 newpix clock.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 am UTC

patzer wrote:
davidy22 wrote:
patzer wrote:
KroniK907 wrote:
Spoiler:
An overview of the last 2000+ posts on this thread
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:
[spoiler]
Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
915 Connoisseur of frames
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Wave destroys castle(s)
- BHG shows up (with possible destruction of castle(s))
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- Somehow loops back to start frame
- Ends with an April Fools
- Goes on for months (maybe forever)
- wait for it....
Off topic discussions
Spoiler:
- Gender Neutral Pronouns
- The fact that this thread has beat every possible record for the forums
- Does Y'all refer to a group or one person etc...
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Newpic is also accepted as a singular version.
Did you guys see the Javascript?? (the answer is yes)
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Speculated meanings behind this comic
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Increase Forum Activity
- To make the most posted forum topic something other than a massive flame war
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- Its just a freaking sandcastle... don't read into it...
- April Fools Leadup
- Taking a vacation and wanted something to keep our attention

Ok guys... I added to the bump post.... Tell me if I missed anything...[/spoiler]

Soon we'll need a wiki :shock:

Hey, explain XKCD is a wiki! We're a pretty good one too, and we explain all the xkcd comics, not just Time!

But, it takes too much newpix to load.

FTFY
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

BJ Nemeth

Postby BJ Nemeth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 am UTC

Helper wrote:A newpix is countable. From 8:00pm to 9:00pm is 2 newpix, for example.

Part of the confusion comes froms the dual usage of newpix: it is used both as a unit of time equal to 30 minutes, and a unit of a quantized amount of new updates to The Sandcastle.

Minutes are used by Outsiders, and are meaningless here. Who cares if something takes 10 minutes or 20 minutes, unless it overlaps with a newpix?

If I'm gone from 7:59 pm to 9:01 pm (1:02 in Outsider time), that is three newpix. But if I plan things more efficiently to save four minutes, and am only gone from 8:01 pm to 8:59 pm (00:58 in Outsider time), that is only one newpix. At the other extreme, if I have the misfortune to be away from 7:59 pm to 8:01 pm (00:02 in Outsider time), that is still one full newpix.

Goggalor wrote:
bouer wrote:I think newpix is good. It feels more "internety." It also reflects that Time is a comic of pixels, not physical pictures.

I had been thinking of newpix as short for 'new picture'. I didn't think about pixels. With this revelation I now fully support newpix for both singular and plural.

Agreed. Thinking of it in terms of "New Pixels" makes me support the use of newpix for the singular as well as the plural.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:So the present has finally caught up with the future. Excellent.

It seems we have gone back... Back to the future!

sqrdsqr

Postby sqrdsqr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 am UTC

deusrex wrote:

it ends at 9, so you don't count another newpic

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 am UTC

Eh, let's stick to creating a civilization and overrunning what little might be left of the Outside. A religion seems a bit OTT.

EDIT: we also need to finish making xkcd entirely self-referential and self-aware. We're close but I don't think we're there quite yet...
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 am UTC

THERE'S A RELIGION NOW?????

That'll teach me to go take a nap. *sigh* All praise the mighty Sandcastle.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

PreTimeLurker

Postby PreTimeLurker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 am UTC

wbbaxterbones wrote:I... I think Randall just turned himself into a Messiah in less than 144 newpix... I think I believe in a religion for the first time in my life.

We are all just slaves to Time in the end...

fixer

Postby fixer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 am UTC

wud wrote:We should immediately begin transitioning to a 48 newpix clock.

How are we handling the Millenial Correction?
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

GodRaimundo

Postby GodRaimundo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:16 am UTC

There is no religion. All there is is Time. But some seem to be taking this too far, and their beliefs are beginning to lose their hold upon me. All this talk of fighting our 'natural instincts' from the 'Outside' is nonsense.

There is no 'Outside'. These 'natural instincts' are nothing of the sort. They are miracles granted us by Randall to deepen our experience of Time, for when we succumb to 'sleep' for a handful of newpix, and thus miss some of the passage of Time, perhaps amounting to several tens of pixels, our first viewing of Time shows only the accumulation of all the change missed, and then we have to seek the works of others to find out what has transpired in our absence, thus bringing us closer to those who also await the passing of Time. 'Food' is the same. All other activities are permitted, so long as they do not interfere with the viewing of Time at least once a newpic.

However, the blasphemous notions of the 'day' and the 'external illumination' should be purged, as they represent a temptation to venture into the 'Outside'! This 'Outside' does not exist, and all those who enter it are erased from existence, just as all those who purport to have emerged from it are merely the products of a deranged imagination who has not contemplated the mysteries of Time deeply enough.

So join me and throw off the shackles of your orthodoxy, as they shall destroy you as surely as the 'Outside'! Salvation can only be found in Time!

archstar

Postby archstar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:17 am UTC

The current date and time is 1 newpixday 42.5 newpix.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:18 am UTC

I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:18 am UTC

GodRaimundo wrote:There is no religion. All there is is Time. But some seem to be taking this too far, and their beliefs are beginning to lose their hold upon me. All this talk of fighting our 'natural instincts' from the 'Outside' is nonsense.

There is no 'Outside'. These 'natural instincts' are nothing of the sort. They are miracles granted us by Randall to deepen our experience of Time, for when we succumb to 'sleep' for a handful of newpix, and thus miss some of the passage of Time, perhaps amounting to several tens of pixels, our first viewing of Time shows only the accumulation of all the change missed, and then we have to seek the works of others to find out what has transpired in our absence, thus bringing us closer to those who also await the passing of Time. 'Food' is the same. All other activities are permitted, so long as they do not interfere with the viewing of Time at least once a newpic.

However, the blasphemous notions of the 'day' and the 'external illumination' should be purged, as they represent a temptation to venture into the 'Outside'! This 'Outside' does not exist, and all those who enter it are erased from existence, just as all those who purport to have emerged from it are merely the products of a deranged imagination who has not contemplated the mysteries of Time deeply enough.

So join me and throw off the shackles of your orthodoxy, as they shall destroy you as surely as the 'Outside'! Salvation can only be found in Time!

I have no words, only pains in my side.
Mgraba wrote:He who watches Time already waits for it.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:18 am UTC

bouer wrote:
NoEdge wrote:

On another note, I think we've started a religion. I'm not sure whether to be horrified or amazed.

It's not a religion, we've just been compulsively observing and discussing messages from Randall the Author of all Time for 140 newpix because it's interesting. A wiki is hardly a Bible is it?

I actually hadn't thought of the Wiki/Bible comparison. It seems pretty accurate, actually.
It's pretty clear that we're pretty much worshipping the Sandcastle/Comic/Randall.
We're warping our observations of reality to fit the world of the comic.
Early on we were treating it like scripture with revelations before we became too sleep deprived and hilarity ensued.
We're shunning everybody who does not share our views of the comic.

Dictionary.com wrote:[ ri- lij - uh n ]
noun
1.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2.a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

1. We are treating the creation of Time like the creation of the universe and speculating about its nature.
2. We've developed an agreed on set of rules and beliefs and even new words and new definitions for previous words.
3. I don't really think this needs elaboration.

But seriously guys, we may have taken this a bit too far.

Also, this is a fascinating social experiment. Who would've thought that if you gave a large group of people a comic that updates to a new frame periodically, which they could stop viewing at any time if they so chose, they would develop a religion?
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

WyldStallyns

Postby WyldStallyns » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 am UTC

bouer wrote:
NoEdge wrote:

On another note, I think we've started a religion. I'm not sure whether to be horrified or amazed.

It's not a religion, we've just been compulsively observing and discussing messages from Randall the Author of all Time for 140 newpix because it's interesting. A wiki is hardly a Bible is it?

There are probably religions out there based on less than this, with less followers than this comic has. Also, there's a wiki and a 64+ page thread. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread exceeds the number of pages in most religious texts :P
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

htom

Postby htom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:Say, for example, that someone might create a Wikipedia article for our new unit of time. Should the title be "newpic"? Or should it be "newpix"? Should there first be some sort of vote held to determine the accepted forms, for singular and plural?

Whichever you use, it will be prodded immediately, and if it survives the AFD, there will be move requests.

I prefer newpix as both singular and plural.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

QuixoticWonderer

Postby QuixoticWonderer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 am UTC

fixer wrote:
wud wrote:We should immediately begin transitioning to a 48 newpix clock.

How are we handling the Millenial Correction?

There's no need for correction. Newpix is/are not bound by millennia. It matters not when the new pixel/picture is released, only that it is released and that we are either waiting for new or looking at new. The duration of a newpix may increase to a million years in Outside time or decrease to picoseconds in Outside time. It matters not in terms of Time, in which there are only infallible and unerring Newpix.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 am UTC

WyldStallyns wrote:
bouer wrote:
NoEdge wrote:

There are probably religions out there based on less than this, with less followers than this comic has. Also, there's a wiki and a 64+ page thread. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread exceeds the number of pages in most religious texts :P

I just realized, our religion grew by about 1000% today.

Just asked my friend if he wanted to join. He said yes. 1100%!
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

deusrex

Postby deusrex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 am UTC

sqrdsqr wrote:
deusrex wrote:

it ends at 9, so you don't count another newpic

Ok, but since newpix are a point in time, isn't 8:59:59.999etc the same as 9:00?

Edit: </troll>
Last edited by deusrex on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 am UTC

htom wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Say, for example, that someone might create a Wikipedia article for our new unit of time. Should the title be "newpic"? Or should it be "newpix"? Should there first be some sort of vote held to determine the accepted forms, for singular and plural?

Whichever you use, it will be prodded immediately, and if it survives the AFD, there will be move requests.

I prefer newpix as both singular and plural.

I cede the point of newpix as both singular and plural.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:23 am UTC

GodRaimundo wrote:There is no religion. All there is is Time. But some seem to be taking this too far, and their beliefs are beginning to lose their hold upon me. All this talk of fighting our 'natural instincts' from the 'Outside' is nonsense.

You must show proper respect to the One True Comic heretic!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

fixer

Postby fixer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:23 am UTC

WyldStallyns wrote:
bouer wrote:
NoEdge wrote:

Humans do have a tendency to start new religions at the drop of a hat (or a meteor) don't they?
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 am UTC

Now there are two competing religions. What have we done?

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:Now there are two competing religions. What have we done?

Let the religious wars begin!

I'll bring the EMP's.

Wait for it.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 am UTC

There's still a lot of unanswered questions about this religion though, here they are, from least important to most:

1) Who is the Creator in this particular origin story? Is it Monroe, or is it the stickfigures in the comic? Is it going to be one of those weird scenarios where there's a god, but the god's father is also around, implying a creator of the creator, but not delving any further into that particular can of worms?

2) What day will become the major holy day of the faith? The day the comic was first posted? The day it finally reaches the end?

3) Speaking of the end, when it finally does reach the final frame, is that, like, the Apocalypse?

4) Finally, and most importantly, how can this religion be used to scam celebrities into contributing millions of dollars?

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:Now there are two competing religions. What have we done?

Wow, it's amazing what can come from jest....
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 am UTC

The Wiki now has all of the information in that bumping post, so only the Wiki needs to be bumped now.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

zk2556

Postby zk2556 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 am UTC

May I humbly suggest a sort of pseudo-SI (because measuring by the 1000s would, hopefully, be impractical) system of measurement:

1 - Newpic/Newpix (The distinction is irrelevant. Think of it as a dialect thing.)
2 - Tupix
4 - Quadpix
8 - Octopix
16 - Hexapix
48 - Dayapix
96 - Tudayapix
192 - Fordayapix
336 - Weekapix
Last edited by zk2556 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:28 am UTC

Helper wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:And people who are not aware of the One Darkening Pixel! We shall call them... People who are not aware of the One Darkening Pixel. (Or maybe the Outsiders, but it doesn't quite, you know, gel for me...)

What is Gel? I once heard it has something to do with hair. Hmm, hair...

When I was young I had hair, but now that I'm an adult I have put aside my hairy ways.

Well, gel is the stuff that you, erm, would've put in your hair. To keep it in check. Gel, on the other hand is the keeper of the the Intermittent Sprinkler System. He manipulates the Intermittent Sprinkler System to moisten the strange carpet that "grows." He does this to keep it in check.

Gel uses one of the Hurtling Metal Boxes of Doom. His full name is Gel Girard, and he has several Jumbo Sized Air Fresheners. He's a good friend to Bock Rugers, but we don't talk about him.
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

sandcastleacolyte

Postby sandcastleacolyte » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:29 am UTC

Guys, now that the picture from the future has been shown, we no longer know the future. What will come next? It's a little scary.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 am UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 am UTC

So we have 2 possible mottos:

All hail the divine Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Creator of Time
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix

and

We reject the Outside
We know of the Castles
We watch Time
We do not Sleep
Join us

also I really think we should go for tax exempt status

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 am UTC

zk2556 wrote:May I humbly suggest a sort of pseudo-SI (because measuring by the 1000s would, hopefully, be impractical) system of measurement:

1 - Newpic/Newpix (The distinction is irrelevant. Think of it as a dialect thing.)
2 - Tupix
4 - Quadpix
8 - Octopix
16 - Hexapix
48 - Dayapix
96 - Tudayapix
192 - Fordayapix
672 - Weekapix

Erm, what would an infinite amount of monkeys Newpix be called?

I'm not even considering asking about Aleph numbers...
Last edited by zaphodbeebledoc on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:There's still a lot of unanswered questions about this religion though, here they are, from least important to most:

1) Who is the Creator in this particular origin story? Is it Monroe, or is it the stickfigures in the comic? Is it going to be one of those weird scenarios where there's a god, but the god's father is also around, implying a creator of the creator, but not delving any further into that particular can of worms?

2) What day will become the major holy day of the faith? The day the comic was first posted? The day it finally reaches the end?

3) Speaking of the end, when it finally does reach the final frame, is that, like, the Apocalypse?

4) Finally, and most importantly, how can this religion be used to scam celebrities into contributing millions of dollars?

1. I think some versions of the religion worship the Sandcastle, some worship the comic itself, and some worship Munroe.

2. Days will be redefined with newpix. A day will probably be changed to encompass the period of time from the beginning of the comic to the end, if it doesn't last too long.

3. Wait for it.

4. Make them bet on how it ends, start a kickstarter for the creation of new frames, etc.

PreTimeLurker

Postby PreTimeLurker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:31 am UTC

Is it blasphemy to say that I care more about the developments on this thread than the comic itself?

Or is that really just a metaphor for caring more about what we do with the Time we are given?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”