1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fixer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fixer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:12 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

You, my dear sir, madame or neuter, have been sigged but good. :D

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

Mgraba

Postby Mgraba » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:12 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
bouer wrote:On topic again, I think it is obvious that the comic will not end for several more newpix. We've been panning for 18 newpix and still haven't seen cueball or megan.

Didn't somebody figure out the rate it was panning at? That was really helpful. Too bad it was hidden by the flood of religious posts.
I'll go try to find it and then we can figure out when it should finish panning.

But the rate is constantly changing.
zk2556 wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
plumander wrote:Does it bother anyone else that we're discussing an event that is still happening as if it is ancient history? When each newpix is posted, it barely gets a post or two. I doubt people in Jesus' day sat around talking about the intricacies of his miracles and the basis of his following while he was turning water into wine next door.

Actually, in his day, nobody believed him.

But really, can we please actually discuss the comic and be on topic?
The creation of a new religion moderately frightens me.
The voice in the back of my head calling me a heretic frightens me more.

Well, you see, the problem is that there hasn't been anything dramatic happen in the last 15 newpix or so. And we internet folk have short attention spans. So, we make a new religion.

...I'm sorry, you must be new here.

It's just an outsider trying to divide us.
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not Sleep

Mgraba

Postby Mgraba » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:14 am UTC

inhalvast wrote:Mgraba, so is it like this?
Spoiler:
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

or this?
Spoiler:
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We reject the Outside
We have seen the Castles
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

I hate to be a creep, but it your sig. switched two lines.

Aaaaaaaaand back to the actual comic itself. I still am hoping for Black Hat and an army of Red Spiders.

I think it's too long like this, but I vote for the first.

Edit: Oops, sorry for double-posting.
Last edited by Mgraba on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not Sleep

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Deadcode wrote:
Deadcode wrote:I happened to see the flag while working on my super-resolution average, and extrapolating from the current rate of zooming (which has been constant for the last 3 hours, from 64:30 to the present 67:30), that frame will happen at 75:30 (in 8 hours).

Well it's different now. The rate of zoom was constant from 64:30 to 67:00 (when measured as the increase in frame coverage in in-world units, not a percentage increase), had a little hiccup at 67:30, and has been constant from 68:00 to 69:00 so far (but that's only two sample points).

At this rate the flag frame we accidentally saw at 67:00 will be aired at 72:30 (in 3 hours)... it's almost as if Randall changed the rate when he saw my earlier prediction.
But now I predict the rate will increase again, and we will see that frame at 71:30 (in 2 hours).

Here's the continued list of relative frame coverages (after cropping away the 2 pixel thick frame, making each frame 549×391), plus or minus about 0.01%:
62:30 - 100.00%
63:00 - 100.00%
63:30 - 100.18%
64:00 - 100.50%
64:30 - 101.05%
65:00 - 102.09%
65:30 - 103.12%
66:00 - 104.21%
66:30 - 105.31%
67:00 - 106.40%
67:30 - 107.01%
68:00 - 108.72%
68:30 - 110.56%
69:00 - 112.39%
69:30 - 114.98%

Found it. At this rate, I think there might be about 30 more panels if the new castle is about the size of this one. That is an extremely rough estimate. I am too sleep deprived to attempt to calculate an accurate one.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Mgraba wrote:
Spoiler:
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

or this?
Spoiler:
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We reject the Outside
We have seen the Castles
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

Aaaaaaaaand back to the actual comic itself. I still am hoping for Black Hat and an army of Red Spiders.

I think it's too long like this, but I vote for the first.

So it is. And with that, I must sleep. I have a job interview in the morning.
Have a good night, everyone.

In a few newpix, who knows what might happen? Well, Randall does, of course, but he's the Creator.
Mgraba wrote:He who watches Time already waits for it.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:16 am UTC

Trying to get back on topic as this thread marches lurches on to surpass the spinoff thread from Pressures (only 2540 posts to go!) now that it has handily beat the previous record-holder in the Individual Comics section, has anyone noticed that the recent uncertainty as to whether the frames were panning or zooming is the result of the horizontal transformation from zooming being of the form x' = x - vt ? I'm sure that there is something that someone can say about that which will not only be relevant to the comic (keep the sidetracking down) but could result in quite a few posts, all on topic. :lol:

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:17 am UTC

Spoiler:
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

or this?
Spoiler:
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We reject the Outside
We have seen the Castles
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

I set it up like the first one so that all the lines in each stanza are in descending order of length.

Also, Wikipedia's list of unusual units of measurement now contains the Newpix.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:18 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
Deadcode wrote:
Deadcode wrote:I happened to see the flag while working on my super-resolution average, and extrapolating from the current rate of zooming (which has been constant for the last 3 hours, from 64:30 to the present 67:30), that frame will happen at 75:30 (in 8 hours).

Well it's different now. The rate of zoom was constant from 64:30 to 67:00 (when measured as the increase in frame coverage in in-world units, not a percentage increase), had a little hiccup at 67:30, and has been constant from 68:00 to 69:00 so far (but that's only two sample points).

At this rate the flag frame we accidentally saw at 67:00 will be aired at 72:30 (in 3 hours)... it's almost as if Randall changed the rate when he saw my earlier prediction.
But now I predict the rate will increase again, and we will see that frame at 71:30 (in 2 hours).

Here's the continued list of relative frame coverages (after cropping away the 2 pixel thick frame, making each frame 549×391), plus or minus about 0.01%:

Found it. At this rate, I think there might be about 30 more panels if the new castle is about the size of this one. That is an extremely rough estimate. I am too sleep deprived to attempt to calculate an accurate one.

Why are we assuming a pan across the second castle as well? I'd imagine once a large portion of both castles are in view, something new is going to begin.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:19 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
bouer wrote:On topic again, I think it is obvious that the comic will not end for several more newpix. We've been panning for 18 newpix and still haven't seen cueball or megan.

Didn't somebody figure out the rate it was panning at? That was really helpful. Too bad it was hidden by the flood of religious posts.
I'll go try to find it and then we can figure out when it should finish panning.

Not sure how you can figure when it is suppose to finish panning. You would need to know the size of the castle(s). There is no clue on how large or how many there are. Are we currently seeing 50% of the new castle? 10%? 1%? .1% etc. IIRC the panning rate changed while the person was calculating it. It could change again, several times.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:19 am UTC

zk2556 wrote:

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I kind of helped start the talk of the Outside and am the one that suggested that this is a religion. It was funny at first, but seems a bit too much now. Again, sorry if this seems tude, but that comment just seems really condescending and annoys me.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Kename Fin

Postby Kename Fin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:19 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:

How does panning rate help determine the finish?

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:20 am UTC

fixer wrote:

:mrgreen:

inhalvast wrote:I have a job interview in the morning.

Good luck! If they ask you your available hours, instead of that tired ol' "eight to five", tell them "16NP to 34NP".

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:22 am UTC

TheRic wrote:
NoEdge wrote:

Not sure how you can figure when it is suppose to finish panning. You would need to know the size of the castle(s). There is no clue on how large or how many there are. Are we currently seeing 50% of the new castle? 10%? 1%? .1% etc. IIRC the panning rate changed while the person was calculating it. It could change again, several times.

We could at least get an idea. For all we know, a raptor could destroy everything in the middle of the panning. We could do it assuming it's similar to the existing castle or a few times bigger. Remember back when we made predictions about what might happen, before we went even more insane?

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:22 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:Irony: In our rush to worship the comic, we have forgotten about it.

I have stolen this as a sig. Hope you don't mind.

Edit: Glad to see that the article was created, while I failed at getting some sleep. Sad to see that the article failed very soon after it started. Maybe try to get a bit more information in there, and possibly create a website or two to cite? That generally helps a bit. Or maybe a Wikipedia spy has infiltrated our ranks and is determined to see us fail... that would be most disappointing.

Anyway, back on topic: Figuring out both the instantaneous "pan speed" as well as how it has changed since Cueball's exit, we should be able to determine a rough approximation for the horizontal size of this second castle. I am no filmographer, but it would make sense if the "speed graph" generally made an S-shape - that is, it speeds up gradually, then slows down just as gradually. If it has peaked, we should be able to use symmetry to determine the width of this second castle, relatively simply.

Anyways, that's my $.02, back to bed for me...
Last edited by macraw83 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

wud

Postby wud » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:22 am UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
Deadcode wrote:

Why are we assuming a pan across the second castle as well? I'd imagine once a large portion of both castles are in view, something new is going to begin.

I would assume it stops once they're both back in frame.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Kename Fin wrote:How does panning rate help determine the finish?

We could make guesses of how big the pan is. Far from accurate, but guessing could still be fun.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
zk2556 wrote:

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I kind of helped start the talk of the Outside and am the one that suggested that this is a religion. It was funny at first, but seems a bit too much now. Again, sorry if this seems tude, but that comment just seems really condescending and annoys me.

It's going full cycle; surely, when he designed this comic he didn't expect it go this far; when this religion spanned, nobody expected it to go this far. An author's work always escapes its author.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 am UTC

Kename Fin wrote:
NoEdge wrote:

How does panning rate help determine the finish?

I just meant he probably wouldn't finish without showing us the entire second castle or a stick figure. The furthest left turret is much wider than the others so it might be the middle, although the wall to it's left is taller than the one to it's right.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 am UTC

bouer wrote:
Spoiler:
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

or this?
Spoiler:
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We reject the Outside
We have seen the Castles
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

I set it up like the first one so that all the lines in each stanza are in descending order of length.

Also, Wikipedia's list of unusual units of measurement now contains the Newpix.

I kind of doubt it'll remain there long. Apparently Wikipedia really hates webcomics.
From the talk page of unusual units of measurement:
This page is for units that have seen general usage in the real world. usage within the pages of a single web comic fail that criteria, although it might be worth noting in an article on teh fictional world of that specific webcomic.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 am UTC

under 0.2 newpix until the next frame!
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 am UTC

I suspect that within the next few newpix, we shall see either Megan, Cueball or some other thing besides more glorious sandcastle.
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

wud

Postby wud » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:25 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
fixer wrote:

:mrgreen:

inhalvast wrote:I have a job interview in the morning.

Good luck! If they ask you your available hours, instead of that tired ol' "eight to five", tell them "16NP to 34NP".

Do NPs match up with current time zones, or are they global?

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:25 am UTC

Hitler.

Just getting it out of the way...

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:26 am UTC

mandatory bump of the wiki link
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

htom

Postby htom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 am UTC

bugstomper wrote:Trying to get back on topic as this thread marches lurches on to surpass the spinoff thread from Pressures (only 2540 posts to go!) now that it has handily beat the previous record-holder in the Individual Comics section, has anyone noticed that the recent uncertainty as to whether the frames were panning or zooming is the result of the horizontal transformation from zooming being of the form x' = x - vt ? I'm sure that there is something that someone can say about that which will not only be relevant to the comic (keep the sidetracking down) but could result in quite a few posts, all on topic. :lol:

I think the "camera" is trucking left, panning left, and zooming out. As well, it's climbing the hill. Not a simple motion to describe.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 am UTC

squonk wrote:Hitler.

You had to, didn't you?

I vote for ignoring that for Godwin's sake and wait for it to occur naturally.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:28 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

You had to, didn't you?

Wait, what? What about Hitler? What did I miss?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

sygnathid

Postby sygnathid » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:28 am UTC

Pelahnar wrote:This is great - it's my birthday today. And watching a religion, a language, really an entire culture, be created right in front of my eyes is an absolutely awesome birthday present.

Happy Birthday!! :D

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:28 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:At this rate, I think there might be about 30 more panels if the new castle is about the size of this one.

Deadcode predicted that the glimpse of the future would arrive at 71:30, but it actually arrived at 71:00. That makes the rate of acceleration of zooming (not panning, right? zooming?) somewhat more than Deadcode's predictions. Does that change your estimate, or is it too rough an estimate for that to make a difference? I guess that in any case it is a big assumption that the yet to be seen portion of the castle is the same size as what we have seen already. They have been off-screen possibly building for quite a while now.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:29 am UTC

htom wrote:
bugstomper wrote:Trying to get back on topic as this thread marches lurches on to surpass the spinoff thread from Pressures (only 2540 posts to go!) now that it has handily beat the previous record-holder in the Individual Comics section, has anyone noticed that the recent uncertainty as to whether the frames were panning or zooming is the result of the horizontal transformation from zooming being of the form x' = x - vt ? I'm sure that there is something that someone can say about that which will not only be relevant to the comic (keep the sidetracking down) but could result in quite a few posts, all on topic. :lol:

I think the "camera" is trucking left, panning left, and zooming out. As well, it's climbing the hill. Not a simple motion to describe.

It also seems to be speeding up.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:29 am UTC

Helper wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

You had to, didn't you?

Wait, what? What about Hitler? What did I miss?

http://lmddgtfy.net/?q=Godwin%20Hitler
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:29 am UTC

I think the new castle we are seeing is several magnitudes large then the first castle we saw.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:30 am UTC

Megan!
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:30 am UTC

Megan's back :D

plumander

Postby plumander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:30 am UTC

SHE'S BACK!

Mgraba

Postby Mgraba » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:31 am UTC

This is some game-changing newpix we have here.
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not Sleep

SadinaSaphrite

Postby SadinaSaphrite » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:31 am UTC

She's back! Is she building more castle?
I put the fun back in dysfunctional and the romance back in necromancer!

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:31 am UTC

I think she's working on a huge wall. Taller than her.

wud

Postby wud » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:31 am UTC

I really want her to push the frame for a few newpix.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:31 am UTC

sygnathid wrote:
Pelahnar wrote:This is great - it's my birthday today. And watching a religion, a language, really an entire culture, be created right in front of my eyes is an absolutely awesome birthday present.

Happy Birthday!! :D

Ditto. Honestly, the fact that somebody thinks that something I played some small part in, is awesome, is probably the best thing to happen to me all week :D

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”