1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ElvishJerricco

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ElvishJerricco » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:50 am UTC

After much programming, I have determined that of the 2MB list of words found at /usr/share/dict/words on most *nix systems, the file name hashes directly correlate to none. This is of course just straight hash(word) == filename. I have not tried to crack any salts, as I don't know how.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:50 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
KroniK907 wrote:
An overview of the last 2000+ posts on this thread
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:
Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
915 Connoisseur of frames
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Wave destroys castle(s)
- BHG shows up (with possible destruction of castle(s))
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- Somehow loops back to start frame
- Ends with an April Fools
- Goes on for months (maybe forever)
- wait for it....
Off topic discussions
Spoiler:
- Gender Neutral Pronouns
- The fact that this thread has beat every possible record for the forums
- Does Y'all refer to a group or one person etc...
- What is outside? Is that like Mesopotamia?
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Newpic is also accepted as a singular version.
Did you guys see the Javascript?? (the answer is yes)
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Speculated meanings behind this comic
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Increase Forum Activity
- To make the most posted forum topic something other than a massive flame war
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- Its just a freaking sandcastle... don't read into it...
- April Fools Leadup
- Taking a vacation and wanted something to keep our attention

Ba-du-BUMP.

I think we need to add the religion to Off-topic discussions.
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 am UTC

So you've all gone insane from lack of sleep, is that about the sum of things?
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:52 am UTC

rpgamer wrote:So you've all gone insane from lack of sleep, is that about the sum of things?

Exactly!

Edit: product, not sum

fixer

Postby fixer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 am UTC

rpgamer wrote:So you've all gone insane from lack of sleep, is that about the sum of things?

I think that's a pretty fair (and nicely concise) summation.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 am UTC

darthjimmy wrote:I think we need to add the religion to Off-topic discussions.

It counts as Mesopotamia, I think. Also, do we need a new era yet?

That sounds like non-believer talk. Heretic.
Although, yes...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 am UTC

patzer wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Ba-du-BUMP.

I believe that's what the wiki's for

My bad. I was wondering why the gif and everything stopped getting bumped. Must've missed a post or twelve somewhere.

Primis

Postby Primis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 am UTC

I'm standardizing how we tell time in NewPix:
-The beginning of our calendars shall hereby be the beginning of Time.
-Each NewPix is the quantized time between two frames of Time.
-milliPix is 1/1024th of a NewPix (1.75 "outsider" seconds)
-MACPix is 48 NewPix and is equal to the time of one earth rotational period in the outside world. (MAC Addresses are 48 bits wide)
-KiloPix is equal to 1024 NewPix, and is the standard "Month"
-UltraPix is equal to 17. KiloPix. This is our standard "Year" At the end of this period, there is a 2 day "Month" to celebrate The One True Comic.
Special Case:
Every three UltraPix, there is one Leap MACPix to keep the calendar in sync with the sun "outside".

This would mean our current date is 1:720 3/0/0 AT (Anno Time)
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

zAxAyAw

Postby zAxAyAw » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:54 am UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Helper wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:I think maybe her pushing on the edge of a comic signifies that she's pregnant!

*trollface*

No, moron, it means she fucking miscarried.

No, but you see, when you give birth, you push the boundaries or walls to widen the area, er, down there. So it has to be a pregnancy omen!

Her pushing is clearly a metaphor for how she's pushing Randall away. She feels that he's too hard on her, much like a wall. His opinions are solid and immovable, just as a wall is. Can't you see this represents their divorce?

sirquince

Postby sirquince » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 am UTC

I need more time to devote to Time.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Primis wrote:I'm standardizing how we tell time in NewPix:
-MACPix is 48 NewPix and is equal to the time of one earth rotational period in the outside world. (MAC Addresses are 48 bits wide)
-UltraPix is equal to 17. KiloPix. This is our standard "Year" At the end of this period, there is a 2 day "Month" to celebrate The One True Comic.
Special Case:
Every three UltraPix, there is one Leap MACPix to keep the calendar in sync with the sun "outside".

That system is confusing beyond all reason; there is absolutely no need for so many different number bases. I agree wholeheartedly with every point put forward here. An Internet to you.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

wud

Postby wud » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 am UTC

Special Case:

I think before we standardize on Months, and Years we need to wait until the end of Time, and take the total length of Time into account.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 am UTC

We get to see what Megan is doing in in 0.1 newpix! I'm still guessing a huge wall.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 am UTC

wud wrote:
Special Case:

I think before we standardize on Months, and Years we need to wait until the end of Time, and take the total length of Time into account.

There may not be an end to Time!!

aemyn

Postby aemyn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 am UTC

I doubt it would be the meaning behind it, but his "Wait for it." triggers forth my (limited) understanding of a person's experience with cancer. (the waiting for test results, unpredictable futures, etc. http://www.xkcd.com/1141/)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Looks like another tower.
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Special Case:

That system is confusing beyond all reason; there is absolutely no need for so many different number bases. I agree wholeheartedly with every point put forward here. An Internet to you.

After rereading this multiple times, it still makes no sense. I suspect I am hallucinating. Sleep would probably be a good idea. But I mustn't... miss.. the... next... one...... Especially since it's getting really interesting now.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:01 am UTC

I was right!

wud

Postby wud » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:01 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Image

So here is the question, will she stay still for the duration of the camera moving?

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 am UTC

Another tower!
See you guys in 14 newpix.

sirquince

Postby sirquince » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 am UTC

My guess is that there will be an increase in the size of towers until we get to Cueball working on one.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 am UTC

aemyn wrote:I doubt it would be the meaning behind it, but his "Wait for it." triggers forth my (limited) understanding of a person's experience with cancer. (the waiting for test results, unpredictable futures, etc. http://www.xkcd.com/1141/)

Dear XKCD Forums,
Please stop trying to mame, injure, kill, miscarry, irradiate, or otherwise harm Randall, his significant other, their theoretical baby, or any characters of the comic.
Love,
XKCD Forums <3

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:03 am UTC

Must... Stay... awake... for... 2... more... newpix...

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:03 am UTC

wud wrote:So here is the question, will she stay still for the duration of the camera moving?

That's what I was wondering- why she hadn't moved in 2 newpix and had this become some sort of still-life. But I think in the last frame she was building up the side of that wall, and in this one she's in the same position, just working a little bit higher up.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:04 am UTC

Helper wrote:
aemyn wrote:I doubt it would be the meaning behind it, but his "Wait for it." triggers forth my (limited) understanding of a person's experience with cancer. (the waiting for test results, unpredictable futures, etc. http://www.xkcd.com/1141/)

Dear XKCD Forums,
Please stop trying to mame, injure, kill, miscarry, irradiate, or otherwise harm Randall, his significant other, their theoretical baby, or any characters of the comic.
Love,
XKCD Forums <3

Is that… a self-request?
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:04 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:After rereading this multiple times, it still makes no sense. I suspect I am hallucinating. Sleep would probably be a good idea. But I mustn't... miss.. the... next... one...... Especially since it's getting really interesting now.

What, Primis's or mine?

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:05 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
wud wrote:So here is the question, will she stay still for the duration of the camera moving?

That's what I was wondering- why she hadn't moved in 2 newpix and had this become some sort of still-life. But I think in the last frame she was building up the side of that wall, and in this one she's in the same position, just working a little bit higher up.

The entire scene could be paused while it's zooming.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

Wesoteric

Postby Wesoteric » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Chalk me up as another one who registered recently because of this comic. I've been reading/lurking around this topic on and off for the past few days (probably getting more sleep than several of you), and I just have to say that this has been the most entertaining thread I've read. And I love you all.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:06 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Helper wrote:

Dear XKCD Forums,
Love,
XKCD Forums <3

Is that… a self-request?

I'm not sure... o_0

z64dan

Postby z64dan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:07 am UTC

Pretty obvious they're just making the entire World 1-1 in Super Mario Bros.

Erryone knows stick people can't have babies.

Pelahnar

Postby Pelahnar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:07 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Helper wrote:

Dear XKCD Forums,
Love,
XKCD Forums <3

Is that… a self-request?

Well, there's more than one individual making up XKCD Forums. The individuals who don't like the maiming, etc. are telling the individuals who do (well, are talking about it, I mean) to stop. Or, one individual is, anyway, and I'm sure Helper has support.
zk2556 wrote:Well, you see, the problem is that there hasn't been anything dramatic happen in the last 15 newpix or so. And we internet folk have short attention spans. So, we make a new religion.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 am UTC

Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:After rereading this multiple times, it still makes no sense. I suspect I am hallucinating. Sleep would probably be a good idea. But I mustn't... miss.. the... next... one...... Especially since it's getting really interesting now.

What, Primis's or mine?

Both. Primis's might make more sense if I could think properly, I think, but I think yours might be a joke and currently lack the brainpower necessary to be sure.

Note: There is a very high chance that anything I say at this point will coherence have not.
Last edited by NoEdge on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:09 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:

Possible, but I don't think that's what's happening. Her arms were a little bit lower when she first came back into the frame.
Last edited by TheMulattoMaker on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:

You can see on the aubronwood link (using the left and right arrows to flip between them) that her arms are indeed moving :D

Deadcode

Postby Deadcode » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 am UTC

The zooming just did a sharp deceleration.

Here's the continued list of relative frame coverages:
62:30 - 100.00%
63:00 - 100.00%
63:30 - 100.18%
64:00 - 100.50%
64:30 - 101.05%
65:00 - 102.09%
65:30 - 103.12%
66:00 - 104.21%
66:30 - 105.31%
67:00 - 106.40%
67:30 - 107.01%
68:00 - 108.72%
68:30 - 110.56%
69:00 - 112.39%
69:30 - 114.98%
71:00 - 125.05%
71:30 - 129.94%
72:00 - 135.20%
72:30 - 140.92%
73:00 - 143.72%

Frames are treated as 549×391 (with the 2 pixel thick frame cropped away). Coverage measurements are plus or minus about 0.02%, but error is not cumulative (I'm comparing each frame to a super-resolution average of the first 15 frames of the zoom)
Last edited by Deadcode on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pelahnar

Postby Pelahnar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:10 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:

No, if you watch closely, she did move. She's working on a higher part of the wall now and her arms are bent at significantly different angles in the second. Also, her leg has changed position.
zk2556 wrote:Well, you see, the problem is that there hasn't been anything dramatic happen in the last 15 newpix or so. And we internet folk have short attention spans. So, we make a new religion.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:10 am UTC

I'm actually a bit disappointed by the new tower. I guess it just means that the big reveal will be even later.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:11 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:

What, Primis's or mine?

Both. Primis's might make more sense if I could think properly, I think, but I think yours might be a joke and currently lack the brainpower necessary to be sure.

It's a joke (I think...).
The Primis system is completely confusing and arbitrary, so it has to be a good system; look at an actual calendar, with 60 seconds per minute, 24 hours per day, 7 days in week..

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:11 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:Note: There is a very high chance that anything I say at this point will coherence have not.

I'm pretty sure that could be accurately said of anyone in this thread at any time in the last 80 newpix or so, that being when sleep deprivation started hitting us all.

Wait, that may have been too coherent.

Sure am I pretty, accurate couldly said be of anyone this thread time in at any. 80 last newpix so or. Deprivavavavation sleeping hit start us alled.
Last edited by TheMulattoMaker on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:14 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”