1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:13 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
NoEdge wrote:Note: There is a very high chance that anything I say at this point will coherence have not.

I'm pretty sure that could be accurately said of anyone in this thread at any time in the last 80 newpix or so, that being when sleep deprivation started hitting us all.

I drank coffee to try to make it better, but now I'm just incoherrent and awake. :cry:
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Primis

Postby Primis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:After rereading this multiple times, it still makes no sense. I suspect I am hallucinating. Sleep would probably be a good idea. But I mustn't... miss.. the... next... one...... Especially since it's getting really interesting now.

What, Primis's or mine?

Both. Primis's might make more sense if I could think properly, I think, but I think yours might be a joke and currently lack the brainpower necessary to be sure.

It's a joke (I think...).
The Primis system is completely confusing and arbitrary, so it has to be a good system; look at an actual calendar, with 60 seconds per minute, 24 hours per day, 7 days in week..

I'll work on a chrome plugin, anyone wanna do a firefox one? (detect datetime, replace with format)
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:13 am UTC

It's only 1:12 where I am, I think I can stave off exhaustion for a few more newpix.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:14 am UTC

Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:After rereading this multiple times, it still makes no sense. I suspect I am hallucinating. Sleep would probably be a good idea. But I mustn't... miss.. the... next... one...... Especially since it's getting really interesting now.

What, Primis's or mine?

Both. Primis's might make more sense if I could think properly, I think, but I think yours might be a joke and currently lack the brainpower necessary to be sure.

The Primis system is completely confusing and arbitrary, so it has to be a good system; look at an actual calendar, with 60 seconds per minute, 24 hours per day, 7 days in week..

Yes, but confusion and arbitarynessfulity are to be expected; we don't want our system to be predictable. Maybe we can sacrifice practicality for originality. We mustn't bear too much resemblance to the Outsiders. (I will regret mentioning those, probably. Hopefully, I won't be awake long enough to regret it.)
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:14 am UTC

*hic* luv ya Randall, grate comix here! *hic* dem sandcastlies are grate!

*crash*
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

willyshop

Postby willyshop » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:15 am UTC

I've been checking both the forum and the comic quite often lately; how many newpages in a newpix?

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:15 am UTC

Primis wrote:I'll work on a chrome plugin, anyone wanna do a firefox one? (detect datetime, replace with format)

For what it's worth, if you're as sleep deprived as most of us, trying to write code with the intention of other people running might legally be considered an act of cyber-terrorism.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:16 am UTC

bouer wrote:It's only 1:12 where I am, I think I can stave off exhaustion for a few more newpix.

it's 5:15 where I am but I'm used to it and can last about 4 more newpix (maybe)
edit: but unfortuanately I can't do computing, sorry
Last edited by patzer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:16 am UTC

Helper wrote:
aemyn wrote:I doubt it would be the meaning behind it, but his "Wait for it." triggers forth my (limited) understanding of a person's experience with cancer. (the waiting for test results, unpredictable futures, etc. http://www.xkcd.com/1141/)

Dear XKCD Forums,
Please stop trying to mame, injure, kill, miscarry, irradiate, or otherwise harm Randall, his significant other, their theoretical baby, or any characters of the comic.
Love,
XKCD Forums <3

I logged in to give you an interweb; I laughed too hard at this...

beat to it tho...

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:17 am UTC

z64dan wrote:Erryone knows stick people can't have babies.

http://xkcd.com/441/ (Babies)

And the experiment is reproducible
http://xkcd.com/674/ (Natural Parenting)
Last edited by bugstomper on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:17 am UTC

An overview of the last 2000+ posts on this thread
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:
Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
Spoiler:
http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=1190:_Time
915 Connoisseur of frames
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Wave destroys castle(s)
- BHG shows up (with possible destruction of castle(s))
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- Somehow loops back to start frame
- Ends with an April Fools
- Goes on for months (maybe forever)
- wait for it....
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Newpic is also accepted as a singular version.
Did you guys see the Javascript?? (the answer is yes)
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Speculated meanings behind this comic
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Increase Forum Activity
- To make the most posted forum topic something other than a massive flame war
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- Its just a freaking sandcastle... don't read into it...
- April Fools Leadup
- Taking a vacation and wanted something to keep our attention
Last edited by davidy22 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:19 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:17 am UTC

willyshop wrote:I've been checking both the forum and the comic quite often lately; how many newpages in a newpix?

147 frames and justover 69 pages, so ~0.47 newpages per newpix.

JordanTheProgrammer

Postby JordanTheProgrammer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:18 am UTC

We should addapt the newpix time to EST (Earth Standard Time)

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Primis wrote:I'll work on a chrome plugin, anyone wanna do a firefox one? (detect datetime, replace with format)

For what it's worth, if you're as sleep deprived as most of us, trying to write code with the intention of other people running might legally be considered an act of cyber-terrorism.

I so want to sig this, but I reached the character limit :cry:

On Topic: How big do you think the tower Megan's working on is?
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:19 am UTC

davidy22 wrote:
Feel Free to Bump

We don't need that any more, there's a wiki
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:20 am UTC

so, is it going to be sandcastles all the way up, in the same way it's turtles all the way down?

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:20 am UTC

JordanTheProgrammer wrote:We should addapt the newpix time to EST (Earth Standard Time)

The Outsiders in the homeland of the Holy Temple of Sandcastle Picture Serving adhere to EST, so I think it would appropriate.

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:21 am UTC

davidy22 wrote:
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:...

This overview is well written, you sir (original author lost to Time) know how to take a set of notes.

Edit: To reflect my discovery of the wiki
we need a like button.
and a sticky for each page of this topic.
because it's spread across Time.
Edit:Edit: To reflect my edits.
Last edited by Perilous_3D on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:22 am UTC

NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:

What, Primis's or mine?

Yes, but confusion and arbitarynessfulity are to be expected; we don't want our system to be predictable. Maybe we can sacrifice practicality for originality. We mustn't bear too much resemblance to the Outsiders. (I will regret mentioning those, probably. Hopefully, I won't be awake long enough to regret it.)

“confusion” and “arbitarynessfulity” are exactly the key terms that describe the Outsiders.
We shall look for order and logic.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Zane0909

Postby Zane0909 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:24 am UTC

SHE'S BACK!!! Phew that's a relief to atleastsome of the worse outcomes...

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Zane0909 wrote:SHE'S BACK!!! Phew that's a relief to atleastsome of the worse outcomes...

...comment held in moderation for a newpix or two?

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
Helper wrote:

I so want to sig this, but I reached the character limit :cry:

On Topic: How big do you think the tower Megan's working on is?

Alas, I am faced with the same predicament.

I think Cueball is on the other side of the tower, helping. Megan's tower (or side of tower) is probably good because she had been shown to be a far more efficient builder than Cueball

On an unrelated note, I suddenly feel wide awake. This can not possibly be a good sign.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Zane0909 wrote:SHE'S BACK!!! Phew that's a relief to atleastsome of the worse outcomes...

Helper wrote:Helper
's head just exploded.
Last edited by Perilous_3D on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

atypicaltexan

Postby atypicaltexan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 am UTC

I can't be the only one who thinks of #927 when seeing the discussion of standards for the newpix system.

Flipperling

Postby Flipperling » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:27 am UTC

I've been lurking since the beginning of Time (...), and just had to say this: It is incredibly awesome to be part of a community that can generate such interesting, powerful, funny discussion from something that at first seemed so simple. I've read every post so far, marveling and laughing and speculating but being way too shy to post. I guess sleep deprivation has made me braver.

Thank you everyone for adding an element of real inspiration to my otherwise grueling week. I don't want it to end!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:27 am UTC

Deadcode wrote:The zooming just did a sharp deceleration.

Here's the continued list of relative frame coverages:
62:30 - 100.00%
63:00 - 100.00%
63:30 - 100.18%
64:00 - 100.50%
64:30 - 101.05%
65:00 - 102.09%
65:30 - 103.12%
66:00 - 104.21%
66:30 - 105.31%
67:00 - 106.40%
67:30 - 107.01%
68:00 - 108.72%
68:30 - 110.56%
69:00 - 112.39%
69:30 - 114.98%
71:00 - 125.05%
71:30 - 129.94%
72:00 - 135.20%
72:30 - 140.92%
73:00 - 143.72%

Frames are treated as 549×391 (with the 2 pixel thick frame cropped away). Coverage measurements are plus or minus about 0.02%, but error is not cumulative (I'm comparing each frame to a super-resolution average of the first 15 frames of the zoom)

Assuming the (pan/tilt/zoom)ing is symmetric, that means ~13 more newpix until we have a stationary field of view. Although we will be able to see 95% of the new full frame in only ~7 newpix!

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:30 am UTC

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:30 am UTC

Perilous_3D wrote:

Helper's head just exploded.

What? Why me? I mean, my head has exploded continually since the comic was posted, I can't deny that. But why me, why now?

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:30 am UTC

atypicaltexan wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks of #927 when seeing the discussion of standards for the newpix system.

We should standardize our standards for referencing XKCD comics. Henceforth, all references should be in the format of (number you are referencing backwards)/17 with a non functional link.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:31 am UTC

patzer wrote:<snip>

Does anybody else think this is beginning to look unbeachlike (word?) like? Do beaches usually curve that much?

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:32 am UTC

Megan comes back and we reach page 69. Discuss...

Helper wrote:
patzer wrote:<snip>

Does anybody else think this is beginning to look unbeachlike (word?) like? Do beaches usually curve that much?

It's snow, not sand. And it's all taking place inside of Charles Foster Kane's snowglobe.
Last edited by squonk on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Primis

Postby Primis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:33 am UTC

bouer wrote:
atypicaltexan wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks of #927 when seeing the discussion of standards for the newpix system.

We should standardize our standards for referencing XKCD comics. Henceforth, all references should be in the format of (number you are referencing backwards)/17 with a non functional link.

Oh god, so many good posts that could be sigs....
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:33 am UTC

That's definitely his elbow!

Helper wrote:
Perilous_3D wrote:

What? Why me? I mean, my head has exploded continually since the comic was posted, I can't deny that. But why me, why now?

the forums were about to kill Randall's family again not even a newpix after we asked them to refrain

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Any speculation on why the ground Megan is walking on slanted and not smooth? All the area within the towers in the old castle is flat!

NevadaWolf

Postby NevadaWolf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Wow... I just managed to catch up on the last 10 pages or so. Darned Outside, kept me away from the One True Comic.

Thank you all very very much for probably the longest sustained laughter in a good long while. :lol:

Glad to see Megan back, though I do wonder why she looked out towards the water for a few moments before going off screen to work on the next castle.

NoEdge

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:35 am UTC

Why must the most exciting events transpire at the moments of my weakness? Farewell, my comrades; I must depart for the foreign land of Sleep. I shall lose consciousness, hallucinate vividly, and most likely forget the entire experience within a few newpix.

JordanTheProgrammer

Postby JordanTheProgrammer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:35 am UTC

If we take how many panels (with detail) were in "Click and Drag" we could use that as an estimate as to how long this might last, plus extra because it is easier to make small changes than to draw entirely different stuff.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 am UTC

NevadaWolf wrote:Wow... I just managed to catch up on the last 10 pages or so. Darned Outside, kept me away from the One True Comic.

Thank you all very very much for probably the longest sustained laughter in a good long while. :lol:

Glad to see Megan back, though I do wonder why she looked out towards the water for a few moments before going off screen to work on the next castle.

Eventually I may want to go back and review those pages. That was a pretty funny tangent discussion.
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

JordanTheProgrammer

Postby JordanTheProgrammer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 am UTC

If we take how many panels (with detail) were in "Click and Drag" we could use that as an estimate as to how long this might last, plus extra because it is easier to make small changes than to draw entirely different stuff.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 am UTC

Perilous_3D wrote:That's definitely his elbow!

Helper wrote:
Perilous_3D wrote:

the forums were about to kill Randall's family again not even a newpix after we asked them to refrain

You gain some, you lose some. I took it to mean the forum wasn't going to kill them quite so horrifically as before.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”