1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GingerMuffin

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby GingerMuffin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 am UTC

Is Megan now wearing a hat rather than hair? or am I simply to tired and reading into it too much?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:37 am UTC

I wonder if the thing near the left border is actually Cueball.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Nicad

Postby Nicad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:37 am UTC

Is that new triangular thing barely sticking in from the left an arm or a sloped roof? It's hard to tell at this point.

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I wonder if the thing near the left border is actually Cueball.

his elbow

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I wonder if the thing near the left border is actually Cueball.

It's either another person, or some highly-sophisticated, as-yet-unseen sandcastle feature.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 am UTC

I stepped Outside for an octopix (to go to a movie) and I come back having missed so much. It makes me... sad... :cry:

(Also, in my many years as a film obsessive/blogger I have never had the desire to check my phone during a movie until today. Time has almost turned me into one of "those people".)

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:40 am UTC

Anyone like to hazard a guess as to how many replies this topic will have one year from today? Closest guess without going over receives an autographed black pixel from this comic!

I'll say 18244.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:40 am UTC

Helper wrote:
patzer wrote:<snip>

Does anybody else think this is beginning to look unbeachlike (word?) like? Do beaches usually curve that much?

Yes, but only due to the quantity of sand castles and lack of anything else.

Anybody else notice the complete absence of beach paraphernalia? I'd have expected to see an umbrella or two by now, or at least a towel!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:41 am UTC

squonk wrote:Anyone like to hazard a guess as to how many replies this topic will have one year from today? Closest guess without going over receives an autographed black pixel from this comic!

I'll say 18244.

Depends on the end (if any) of Time.

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:42 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
squonk wrote:Anyone like to hazard a guess as to how many replies this topic will have one year from today? Closest guess without going over receives an autographed black pixel from this comic!

I'll say 18244.

Depends on the end (if any) of Time.

Well, yes, that would be part of the guess...
Last edited by squonk on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:42 am UTC

I'll say 18244.

I think the comic will go for at least a couple more centinewpix, and after that I think the discussion will slowly die down. My guess is 9337.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:42 am UTC

Helper wrote:

It's either another person, or some highly-sophisticated, as-yet-unseen sandcastle feature.

I don't think it's Cueball, the lines are much thicker than the lines that make Megan.

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:43 am UTC

bouer wrote:
Helper wrote:

I don't think it's Cueball, the lines are much thicker than the lines that make Megan.

elbow
Last edited by Perilous_3D on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 am UTC

bouer wrote:
Helper wrote:

Perhaps the sandcastle has become armed. Like the dude from the Baghavad Gita, but only single-armed.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 am UTC

bouer wrote:
Helper wrote:

Another Flag! We are seeing only a fraction of the castle so far.

Black Hat Guy

Postby Black Hat Guy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 am UTC

New conspiracy: this entire thing arose after a handful of major stimulant manufacturers paid off Randall to keep as many people awake as possible.

You mean Randall tricked the stimulant manufacturers to convince scientists to do a study on stimulants by paying Randall a boatload of money do draw this.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 am UTC

Anyone planning on writing a paper about this thread? That would be one interesting read...
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 am UTC

Black Hat Guy wrote:
New conspiracy: this entire thing arose after a handful of major stimulant manufacturers paid off Randall to keep as many people awake as possible.

You mean Randall tricked the stimulant manufacturers to convince scientists to do a study on stimulants by paying Randall a boatload of money do draw this.

...stimulantception?

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 am UTC

darthjimmy wrote:Anyone planning on writing a paper about this thread? That would be one interesting read...

I've actually considered that several times now. Of course, now that something interesting to write about has arisen, I'm not taking any classes with 'free' assignments... screw it, I may still do it.

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:49 am UTC

davidy22 wrote:
An overview of the last 2000+ posts on this thread
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:
Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
Spoiler:
http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=1190:_Time
915 Connoisseur of frames
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Wave destroys castle(s)
- BHG shows up (with possible destruction of castle(s))
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- Somehow loops back to start frame
- Ends with an April Fools
- Goes on for months (maybe forever)
- wait for it....
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Newpic is also accepted as a singular version.
Did you guys see the Javascript?? (the answer is yes)
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Speculated meanings behind this comic
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Increase Forum Activity
- To make the most posted forum topic something other than a massive flame war
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- Its just a freaking sandcastle... don't read into it...
- April Fools Leadup
- Taking a vacation and wanted something to keep our attention

Thank you for bumping this, even though someone else is complaining. That animated GIF needs to be on every page.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 am UTC

Helper wrote:
darthjimmy wrote:Anyone planning on writing a paper about this thread? That would be one interesting read...

I've actually considered that several times now. Of course, now that something interesting to write about has arisen, I'm not taking any classes with 'free' assignments... screw it, I may still do it.

When you do, post a link. It would be fun to look back and see what we've done here.
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:55 am UTC

Looking forward to seeing how Randall ties all the recent Voyager I talk in with this...

backwrds

Postby backwrds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:55 am UTC

TheRic wrote:
bouer wrote:
Helper wrote:

Another Flag! We are seeing only a fraction of the castle so far.

I'm thinking it's a central tower with a conical roof. Google Neuschwanstein Castle for an example (I am not blessed with image-posting abilities.)

Primis

Postby Primis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 am UTC

Only 90 milliPix Before the next frame! maybe this one will explain what the hell that thing is on the left.
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 am UTC

YAY!

imhungry

Postby imhungry » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Why do you do all the interesting stuff while I am busy? First cueball left, then megan, then cueball fell. All I have done in these hours is stared at two people sitting, a girl detailing a castle, a guy doing it, and a castle.

And now I wake up to see you all have declared the term Newpix.

Lots of catching up to do, again.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Wind must not be much of a factor. One flag is flopped to the right, the other is flopped to the left.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 am UTC

How did they make that out of sand?

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 am UTC

it's cueball's elbow

Edit: wrongness
Last edited by Perilous_3D on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 am UTC

imhungry wrote:And now I wake up to see you all have declared the term Newpix.

Newpix is the tip of the iceb--sandcastle? An entire religion, culture, and civilization rose and (mostly) fell.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Helper wrote:

Newpix is the tip of the iceb--sandcastle? An entire religion, culture, and civilization rose and (mostly) fell.

We didn't fall. We are just waiting.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Helper wrote:

Our religion has not fallen! We are just choosing not to talk about it right now.

Primis

Postby Primis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:05 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Helper wrote:

We didn't fell. We are just waiting.

Like the sheeple?
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 am UTC

Primis wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Helper wrote:

We didn't fell. We are just waiting.

Like the sheeple?

Ten thousand years... that's 10,000 years * 365 days * 48 newpix, or 175,200,000 newpix; so, about the time the comic will end. Then that means we shall rise right around the time the comic ends... it's all adding up!

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Does anyone else think the Age of the Slow Pixel and the Great Expansion should be merged into one period? they're both quite short and with no clear boundary between them.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

cantab314

Postby cantab314 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:10 am UTC

So now we're going to find out that whenever we thought they'd left, they'd actually been working on the sandcastle, which is going to be MASSIVE, and what we saw at first is merely the gatehouse. Or, should a dog come along, the outhouse.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:10 am UTC

wurlitzer153 wrote:Thank you for bumping this, even though someone else is complaining. That animated GIF needs to be on every page.

Honestly, though... why?

The same animated gif needs to be in this thread 70+ times? 1 post in 40 should be an effectively-content-free repost? People can't be arsed to read back any further than the current page?

That doesn't seem like overkill to most people?

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 am UTC

Is that a turret from a *real* castle? And they've been building a sand replica at its base? Those jutting out bits look implausibly slender for a sandcastle.

(long time reader first time etc etc... thoroughly enjoying this latest excursion into the outer reaches of mad genius in black and white pixels)

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 am UTC

Every half-hour getting shorter, never seem to run out of time
Sandcastles either come to naught or eighty pages of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the fannish way
Time still ticks but the song is over
I've got nothing more to say

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 am UTC

patzer wrote:Does anyone else think the Age of the Slow Pixel and the Great Expansion should be merged into one period? they're both quite short and with no clear boundary between them.

I agree; they are both a part of the transition between Cueball's departure and the camera change to show the left side of the beach. It should be 125 - 145 : The Great Expansion.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”