1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

patzer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 am UTC

patzer wrote:Does anyone else think the Age of the Slow Pixel and the Great Expansion should be merged into one period? they're both quite short and with no clear boundary between them.

In fact also, I think the debut or what period should be merged with the dark period. Also quite short with no clear boundary between them.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:14 am UTC

patzer wrote:Does anyone else think the Age of the Slow Pixel and the Great Expansion should be merged into one period? they're both quite short and with no clear boundary between them.

I don't think so. The age of the pixel was when we were not sure if the action was done and we were just going to watch the castle crumble. The age of expansion ( inflationary period?) was when we knew we were going to see something new. The clear boundary is when the frame started moving.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:14 am UTC

BrianX wrote:Every half-hour getting shorter, never seem to run out of time
Sandcastles either come to naught or eighty pages of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the fannish way
Time still ticks but the song is over
I've got nothing more to say

This might be the sleep deprivation talking,
and this might be the caffiene talking,
but I love you so much right now.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:15 am UTC

Helper wrote:This might be the sleep deprivation talking,
and this might be the caffiene talking,
but I love you so much right now.

Heh. It has been the earworm of the week for my brain.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 am UTC

The guests have trickled down to 170. I wonder how many more we would have had if the forums link was still on the home page?

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:20 am UTC

bouer wrote:The guests have trickled down to 170. I wonder how many more we would have had if the forums link was still on the home page?

The number of guests seems to roughly correspond with the west-American nighttime.

EDIT: Decrease, I mean.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 am UTC

bouer wrote:

I don't think so. The age of the pixel was when we were not sure if the action was done and we were just going to watch the castle crumble. The age of expansion ( inflationary period?) was when we knew we were going to see something new. The clear boundary is when the frame started moving.

the frame started moving at #128- by your definition, the age of the slow pixel would only consist of three newpices...
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 am UTC

I shall, like others, succumb to sleep. Expect to be back in 6 to 8 weeks newpix.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 am UTC

patzer wrote:
bouer wrote:

the frame started moving at #128- by your definition, the age of the slow pixel would only consist of three newpices...

Heresy!
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 am UTC

I, like my bretheren, must now perish for a few newpix.

xokocodo

Postby xokocodo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:35 am UTC

A second tower! I didn't see that coming....

Synthetica

Postby Synthetica » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:38 am UTC

You might wanna sell it as a poem.

Primis

Postby Primis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:46 am UTC

Time to paralyze my body and induce vivid hallucinations, Expect me back in 8-10 newpix
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:50 am UTC

I expect the other Europeans to wake up in a few newpices :)

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:53 am UTC

0.23 more new pics until the new pix.
Last edited by jdj42 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

appleGirl

Postby appleGirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:53 am UTC

Woke up to see the thread go from page 56 to 71. What were you discussing for 15 pages, America??
appleGirl wrote:
lassehp wrote:[...] but what is a believer called? I may be persuaded to convert from whovian, but I need to know what to call myself... "Timer"? "Temporalist"? "Sandcastler?" "TimeWatcher?" "SandcastleWatcher?"

/Lasse

TimeWaiter?

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:54 am UTC

I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:55 am UTC

jdj42 wrote:0.23 more new pics.

If you're going to adopt the NewPix time, try to spell it correctly...

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:56 am UTC

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:00 am UTC

0.0111111 newpix left

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:00 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:00 am UTC

appleGirl wrote:Woke up to see the thread go from page 56 to 71. What were you discussing for 15 pages, America??

Religion.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Wow! lots of new memes since I logged off last night. Hard as it is to believe, some people have to work without access to the net.

May I suggest changing the first line to

Every newpic's getting shorter...

I pronounce "hour" as two syllables, so your version doesn't quite scan right to me.

bouer wrote:
patzer wrote:the frame started moving at #128- by your definition, the age of the slow pixel would only consist of three newpices...

Heresy!

I didn't expect the Sandcastle Inquisition...
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

Editer

Postby Editer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:03 am UTC

Now this is getting interesting. The two towers on the left each have space between the main body and the slanted roof. If I'm not mistaken that is impossible to achieve with sand and water alone.

So at least part of this castle is made some other way.

Significant? Time will tell. Wait for i-- oh, you know.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

appleGirl

Postby appleGirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
appleGirl wrote:Woke up to see the thread go from page 56 to 71. What were you discussing for 15 pages, America??

Religion.

Oh great, now I have to go back and read everything :lol:
appleGirl wrote:
lassehp wrote:[...] but what is a believer called? I may be persuaded to convert from whovian, but I need to know what to call myself... "Timer"? "Temporalist"? "Sandcastler?" "TimeWatcher?" "SandcastleWatcher?"

/Lasse

TimeWaiter?

TemporaryLife

Postby TemporaryLife » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

I know exactly how you feel man. I feel so left out.

Akion

Postby Akion » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 am UTC

I'm the real heretic here, because I honestly think there was never an "age of the slow pixel". Slowly eroding the castle by time might have sounded logical on the ground of philosphy, but it'd have been pretty dumb (and an ass thing from Randall actually) too, as that'd have required too much time to execute, even if it'd have been done by an algorithm. People are just not that patient, which is pretty funny in the view that the whole "turtlemation" is I think simply about the good ol' phrase: good things come to those who wait for it get up and get the sh*t done.
Imho that part was only a dramatic stop, a simple admiration of the castle, and those few missing pixels were only either image compression artifacts (though given that the images are png it's pretty odd), or just an indication for the crowd that it's not over yet, wait for it...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 am UTC

Primis wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newpix <- You're Welcome.
Submitted at 143 est pictos religionis (EPR)
EDIT: EPR is latin for "Painting of the one true religion"

With caveat again that I'm still catching up and may be long many-newpices-ago-ninjaed, that looks like a botched machine translation. Much better would be something like "pingenda unæ veræ religionis." I don't know how "est" ended up in there; that's "is".

So, how's "PUVR" for you?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 am UTC

Akion wrote:I'm the real heretic here, because I honestly think there was never an "age of the slow pixel". Slowly eroding the castle by time might have sounded logical on the ground of philosphy, but it'd have been pretty dumb (and an ass thing from Randall actually) too, as that'd have required too much time to execute, even if it'd have been done by an algorithm. People are just not that patient, which is pretty funny in the view that the whole "turtlemation" is I think simply about the good ol' phrase: good things come to those who wait for it get up and get the sh*t done.
Imho that part was only a dramatic stop, a simple admiration of the castle, and those few missing pixels were only either image compression artifacts (though given that the images are png it's pretty odd), or just an indication for the crowd that it's not over yet, wait for it...

forced by reality to agree, as in many other ages, an incomplete understanding of the universe led to inaccurate conclusions...

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 am UTC

TemporaryLife wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

I suggest we create our own european based opposing religion and decry this newfangled newpix as hearsay.

History has always show this to be a good idea right?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

cantab314

Postby cantab314 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:20 am UTC

New April 1st prediction: the screen zooms out, and we see it was all a Minecraft game.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:23 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:

I suggest we create our own european based opposing religion and decry this newfangled newpix as hearsay.

I don't see how that's necessary, I am in europe and helped start this religion off, including the website. It's not just american, you know :)

NotThatHatGuy

Postby NotThatHatGuy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:Top Ten Castles of Sand Songs:
in no particular order:
they might not even be the Top ten:
<snip>

On day one, when there was a lot of dark speculation here, I kept hearing the Moody Blues "And the Tide Rushes In". Which, being an old geek, I would rank as number two just after Hendrix.

Elendel

Postby Elendel » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 am UTC

Hello everyone. After several days of lurking, I'm one of these new subscribers. :p
Is there any web page displaying all the images of this comic? I know there is a gif, but I would like to be able to compare easily some frames and gif is not the ideal to do so.

Anyway, it has been a wonderful trip since the beginning of this strip, and I'll keep reading this thread. :)
Gentlemen, it has been a privilege waiting with you tonight.

freezer

Postby freezer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:26 am UTC

(double post, sorry)
Last edited by freezer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:27 am UTC

我々日本人も負けない!超時空要塞タイム宗教開始!

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:27 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:

Ohpleaseno.

I'm finally off work and I really wanna go home and sleep for 14 or 15 newpix. We somehow created a religion and a whole dogma to go with it since the last time I woke up. I don't wanna have to get all scriptural and debate a European reformation when I wake up tomorrow.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:30 am UTC

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:31 am UTC

patzer wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:

I don't see how that's necessary, I am in europe and helped start this religion off, including the website. It's not just american, you know :)

But this religion will be cool and hip and down with the kids... people like that sort of thing apparently.
I just need to find a way to get Tom Cruise on board and everything will be ok.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”