1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

patzer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:32 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
patzer wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

I know exactly how you feel man. I feel so left out.

I suggest we create our own european based opposing religion and decry this newfangled newpix as hearsay.

History has always show this to be a good idea right?

I don't see how that's necessary, I am in europe and helped start this religion off, including the website. It's not just american, you know :)

But this religion will be cool and hip and down with the kids... people like that sort of thing apparently.
I just need to find a way to get Tom Cruise on board and everything will be ok.

nah, 1 religion is enough for me
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:33 am UTC

Good morning (07:32am here) - just woke up and am checking in and... twenty fucking pages since I left?! COME ON GUYS!! Everyone has their limit. I have officially now *NOT* read every post in this thread because... well it would take me at least 6newpix or something to get through that and I see there have been some... developments. Which I am now going to watch on the aubron xkcd page :D - I will let you know my observations soon but I just want to say...

YES YES I TOLD YOU ALL IT WASN'T OVER AS LONG AS PIXELS CHANGED AND IT WASN'T HELL YEAH :D

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:34 am UTC

patzer wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
patzer wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

I suggest we create our own european based opposing religion and decry this newfangled newpix as hearsay.

I don't see how that's necessary, I am in europe and helped start this religion off, including the website. It's not just american, you know :)

But this religion will be cool and hip and down with the kids... people like that sort of thing apparently.

nah, 1 religion is enough for me

Fine then... no one gets a free cape.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

shashwat986

Postby shashwat986 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:34 am UTC

Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin -- Tim Vine

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:35 am UTC

bump on the XKCD Time Wiki
George Carlin wrote:Think of how stupid a average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:37 am UTC

I'm reminded by this whole experience of the What-if post about Twitter a few weeks back, and the quote he used:

"High up in the North in the land called Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is a hundred miles high and a hundred miles wide. Once every thousand years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. When the rock has thus been worn away, then a single day of eternity will have gone by."

Knowing what Randall has shown himself capable of in the past, and the fact that the slow delivery allows him to still be creating additional pix for a long time, I'd say the duration of this little venture could be on the order of months, or even years.

P.S. I am yet another new member who finally caved and created an account after reading he discussion all day long! :P

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:37 am UTC

It is a bit concerning that I'm starting to see people arrive on the forum in the morning in the same way I see people arrive at the office. I was beginning to think SWuh had called in sick. And wheres that guy person with the skirt in his sig?

Edit: Fixed...
Last edited by Mr Moriaty on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:45 am UTC, edited 5 times in total.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:38 am UTC

So it seems the SECOND CASTLE REVEAL happened around 00:00 my time, which makes me feel better about falling asleep around 23:00 - two more newpix and I would have been suckered in for the rest of the night, waiting to see more of the CASTLE REVEAL and then I would have been NO GOOD today. Not that I *will* be any good now that we are still panning and revealing in every single frame.

I am *SO GLAD* that the big reveal took place at 00:00 my time though... it was like MAGIC OVERNIGHT. Waking up and seeing the second castle was like a very very early (or somewhat late) Christmas!

What time did THE SECOND CASTLE REVEAL (TSCR? No, not catchy enough) happen for you US folks (if any of you are around?)

TessC

Postby TessC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:39 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Tessa wrote:I like the idea of it turning out to be recursive sandcastle building: Build one small castle, build a second, build a larger one in between that turns it all into a bigger one. Build a second castle comparable in size to the first one. Then build in between them to make it all into one even bigger castle. And so on.

The Castle of Hanoi, anyone?

I was thinking Cantor Sand. Or reverse-Cantor Sand. What?

Definitely a Cantor-set-like idea.
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. -- Andy Warhol

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:40 am UTC

What a lot can happen in a few short hours...

I go to bed at 127 with the zoom and pan just starting, and return to find the castle to date has just been the precursor to something larger, nearly 20 pages worth of forum posts have appeared, and someone's even started a Wiki (currently 23 pages big). Oh, and a new unit of time seems to have been coined - "newpix".

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:41 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:It is a bit concerning that I'm starting to see people arrive on the forum in the morning in the same way I see people arrive at the office. I was beginning to thin SWuh had called in sick. And wheres that guy with the skirt in his sig?

1) Good morning, Sir *tips hat*

2) Girl, not guy (but lets not start that discussion again)

3) Not the person with the skirt sig, you're mixing us up ;)

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:42 am UTC

SWuh wrote:What time did THE SECOND CASTLE REVEAL (TSCR? No, not catchy enough) happen for you US folks (if any of you are around?)

Not a US folk, but I recall it was inadvertently shown too early at about 11:15 PM, taken down after a few minutes, and reappeared at about 12:30 AM but only got back to the extent we'd seen earlier at about 2AM
(times in GMT)
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:44 am UTC

I managed to type that post wrong about 10 times... I think i fixed it now.. its too early.. brain functions minimal.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:44 am UTC

mittfh wrote:What a lot can happen in a few short hours...

I go to bed at 127 with the zoom and pan just starting, and return to find the castle to date has just been the precursor to something larger, nearly 20 pages worth of forum posts have appeared, and someone's even started a Wiki (currently 23 pages big). Oh, and a new unit of time seems to have been coined - "newpix".

1 newpix = 30 earth minutes

I think it was only done because everyone was fed up of saying "I have to be at work/see my boyfriend/feed my dog in 1/4/12 half-hours" ... newpix just seemed like an easier unit of time to use while on this thread.

Also, I know how you feel. It seems that JUST ONE HOUR after my head hit the pillow, the action started to happen. I am semi-grateful, though. Because had I seen that edge of a tower at midnight, I am not sure I would have slept so soundly (if at all) - so, thank you for your timing, Randall.

fiveofoh

Postby fiveofoh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Welp I'm off to bed, as the last of the Lower 48 approaches 1am. As for predictions: I really want this to integrate into 1110. There are a few candidates, none of them great - most of them the slopes are too, well slopey - I've been comparing - but my favorite is Sand-Liberty Island at a higher tide. The slope sort of works if you take out some of the hill, and I like the thematic compatibility. So I'm holding out for a lighthouse showing up as it keeps panning out.

Crazy, I know, but I think it would be awesome. :lol: See you all in a dozen newpix or so.
Last edited by fiveofoh on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Beidah wrote:Page 41 out of 57.... I guess my week is booked solid.

Page 57 out of 72. 16 steps forward, 15 steps back.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:49 am UTC

patzer wrote:
SWuh wrote:What time did THE SECOND CASTLE REVEAL (TSCR? No, not catchy enough) happen for you US folks (if any of you are around?)

Not a US folk, but I recall it was inadvertently shown too early at about 11:15 PM, taken down after a few minutes, and reappeared at about 12:30 AM but only got back to the extent we'd seen earlier at about 2AM
(times in GMT)

Well yeah I guessed around that time GMT, I just don't know how that translates overseas... seems it was between 4pm and around 7pm that US people saw it all happening. Explains the TWENTY PAGES OF POSTS, I suppose. High traffic times.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:49 am UTC

I remember now it was 23:01 GMT when I posted the new, accidentally posted pic here
My post disappeared after about 20 minutes or so. See the discussion after that linked point.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 am UTC

SWuh wrote:
patzer wrote:

(times in GMT)

Well yeah I guessed around that time GMT, I just don't know how that translates overseas... seems it was between 4pm and around 7pm that US people saw it all happening. Explains the TWENTY PAGES OF POSTS, I suppose. High traffic times.

Yeah, eastern US is 5 hours behind, so, 6PM-9PM there? seems about right.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:52 am UTC

Good morning from Europe,
It took me literally 3 newpages to catch up. You were busy, obviously.

I do not fully groke the newpix measurement. It is tied to events or to the observed time frame, as indicated in the previous post?

Consider the following: The server updates "late", e.g. 35 minutes after the last new picture. Is this still 1 newpic (because it is tied to the event) or may it refered as 1 1/6 newpix and the server just became lazy?

Contemplating the The Great Expansion the former path of definition would lead to something like "change of the big picture, however small and unsatisfying" and the newpix would be abbreviated as vpx (v as in greek /nju:/ - which would match rather nice). The latter definition is based on empiric data only and I would see it as weak.

However, I'm happy to see Megan back in the picture. :)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

NotThatHatGuy

Postby NotThatHatGuy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:52 am UTC

Apologies in advance if this is repetitious: I just jumped from page 46, but I have to say I was completely fooled when I got up on Wednesday and found a new comic, "Past", and looking at "Time" saw just the castle with no stick figures. I assumed we had reached "the end of Time" :p

It was only a few hours ago, thinking I might catch up on this thread, which inexplicably kept growing ("Wow it was at 51 this morning now it's at 69! They're still talking even after the comic ended!") when I saw a "latest image (automatically updates)" that I hadn't seen yet and realized it was still going.

OMDFG! Thank you Randall! And thank you all, I'm really enjoying this.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:53 am UTC

To be honest I don't really care. All I care about is that we started getting GOOD NEW PANELS and that today is going to be FUN (comic-wise, since I am otherwise packing and house-hunting and stuff like that) :)

7mins until new panel time :D

EDIT: Merging posts

higgs-boson wrote:Good morning from Europe,
It took me literally 3 newpages to catch up. You were busy, obviously.

I do not fully groke the newpix measurement. It is tied to events or to the observed time frame, as indicated in the previous post?

Consider the following: The server updates "late", e.g. 35 minutes after the last new picture. Is this still 1 newpic (because it is tied to the event) or may it refered as 1 1/6 newpix and the server just became lazy?

Contemplating the The Great Expansion the former path of definition would lead to something like "change of the big picture, however small and unsatisfying" and the newpix would be abbreviated as vpx (v as in greek /nju:/ - which would match rather nice). The latter definition is based on empiric data only and I would see it as weak.

However, I'm happy to see Megan back in the picture. :)

Faaaaairly geeky post, be careful...

My two cents is that 1newpix always = 30mins. Because it was derived in order to stop having to type 1/5/12 half-hours (IMO, I am sure other people will have more to say about it than me.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 am UTC

SWuh wrote:My two cents is that 1newpix always = 30mins. Because it was derived in order to stop having to type 1/5/12 half-hours (IMO, I am sure other people will have more to say about it than me.

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Newpix
Looks like it

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:59 am UTC

patzer wrote:
SWuh wrote:My two cents is that 1newpix always = 30mins. Because it was derived in order to stop having to type 1/5/12 half-hours (IMO, I am sure other people will have more to say about it than me.

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Newpix
Looks like it

BAHAHAHAHHAHAH that wiki entry is actually hilarious. Excuse me while I wet myself!!!!!!! Oh me yarm... so glad the boyfriend has gone to work right now or he would be rolling his eyes at me (I tried explaining and using newpix last night, and he was having none of it!!)

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 am UTC

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 am UTC

YAY more reveal and MOVEMENT.

I think Randall is a genius. We were stuck for a few HOURS with mere pixels of movement, now we're getting off over the smallest changes!! Brilliant. Just, brilliant. How does he do it?

I sound like a serious addict.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:02 am UTC

I just mentioned to the guy on the PC next to me that it was 1 Newpix until breakfast is served in the mess.

I don't think he gets it. Weirdo.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:04 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:
An overview of the last 2000+ posts on this thread
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:
Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
915 Connoisseur of frames
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Wave destroys castle(s)
- BHG shows up (with possible destruction of castle(s))
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- Somehow loops back to start frame
- Ends with an April Fools
- Goes on for months (maybe forever)
- wait for it....
Off topic discussions
Spoiler:
- Gender Neutral Pronouns
- The fact that this thread has beat every possible record for the forums
- Does Y'all refer to a group or one person etc...
- What is outside? Is that like Mesopotamia?
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Newpic is also accepted as a singular version.
Did you guys see the Javascript?? (the answer is yes)
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Speculated meanings behind this comic
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Increase Forum Activity
- To make the most posted forum topic something other than a massive flame war
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- Its just a freaking sandcastle... don't read into it...
- April Fools Leadup
- Taking a vacation and wanted something to keep our attention

Bit o' Bumpage

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 am UTC

Uh, and another issue which has formed from catching-up.

I'd ask rhomboidal to edit the first post on this thread, inserting a small Q&A covering the most important matters - including link to the wiki page, aubron's great auto update animation, and both the first and current one. It may also cover the top 10 discussions (java script, html5, references to Randalls private life, whatever).

Bumping big postings twice-a-newpix grows tiring for the occational dedicated addicted common reader.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:06 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:I just mentioned to the guy on the PC next to me that it was 1 Newpix until breakfast is served in the mess.

I don't think 'weirdo' is Basically Decent. The wiki article states that these people are called 'outsiders' ... and as the boyfriend is one, I take offence ;)

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:06 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
patzer wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:

Give me that old Time religion,
It's good enough for me!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Peter200lx

Postby Peter200lx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:08 am UTC

SWuh wrote:I sound like a serious addict.

... There might be a reason for that. :D

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:08 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Uh, and another issue which has formed from catching-up.

I'd ask rhomboidal to edit the first post on this thread, inserting a small Q&A covering the most important matters - including link to the wiki page, aubron's great auto update animation, and both the first and current one. It may also cover the top 10 discussions (java script, html5, references to Randalls private life, whatever).

Bumping big postings twice-a-newpix grows tiring for the occasional dedicated addicted common reader.

Yeah I do agree with you (to a point), but I also think this bumping is kind of needed for those people who just go to the last page of the thread and jump in. Also it hadn't been bumped for a few (that I could see) and I was looking for the links, and I hadn't managed to bookmark (because I am a FOOL) so yeah. Apologies if it is annoying. That is the first time I have done it, however.

Peter200lx wrote:
SWuh wrote:I sound like a serious addict.

... There might be a reason for that. :D

Damn.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:09 am UTC

SWuh wrote:Bit o' Bumpage

On the main page of the wiki, there is an Important Articles section with alll the same information, therefore that post is now redundant.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:12 am UTC

SWuh wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Uh, and another issue which has formed from catching-up. [...]

[...]
Apologies if it is annoying. That is the first time I have done it, however.

No offense meant - the sequence of postings was purely coincidental.

(I wonder if 1190 could be released as a flip book. I'd buy it. of course I would. Still wondering how many pages it would have...)

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:12 am UTC

patzer wrote:
SWuh wrote:Bit o' Bumpage

On the main page of the wiki, there is an Important Articles section with alll the same information, therefore that post is now redundant.

I consider myself officially 'told off' - :oops:

Like I said, it's the first time I bumped it, and it was only because I was searching for it because I was a bit of an idiot and didn't bookmark everything I needed to. I plan on creating a 'Time' bookmarks folder, in fact, I shall create it now.

higgs-boson wrote:(I wonder if 1190 could be released as a flip book. I'd buy it. of course I would. Still wondering how many pages it would have...)

BEST IDEA EVER. I would buy it. I would be surprised if this doesn't come out, to be honest. It would make that slow zoom-out worthwhile, anyway!!
Last edited by SWuh on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:12 am UTC

Captain's Log
Framechange #153: I've been traverse the "Time" thread for so many newpix I've lost count. I have yet to meet anyone along this journey, but it is clear there were people before me. People who kept track of time, who discussed and theorized what it all meant. It gives me hope for the future. If I keep on this path, maybe one day I'll meet these brave and intelligent people. Maybe I'll go insane before then.

Food is running low, but I still have hope.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:15 am UTC

SWuh wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:I just mentioned to the guy on the PC next to me that it was 1 Newpix until breakfast is served in the mess.

I don't think 'weirdo' is ...Hold on, I think I swallowed a gerbil. Okay. What was I saying?. The wiki article states that these people are called 'outsiders' ... and as the boyfriend is one, I take offence ;)

... EDIT: So it seems you can't say Politicallllllllly correct. Bugger. IT WAS A JOKE, THOUGH?
Last edited by SWuh on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Akion

Postby Akion » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:16 am UTC

Don't want to be rude, but I just noticed that the background noises @ xkcd.aubronwood should be changed, as it suggests heavy wind blowing near an oceanside (like normal), but the flags are not even moving a little. Though it can be that way because those are made out of sand too - in that case, Megan and Cueball show us some incredible sand craftmanship.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:20 am UTC

Just woke up!

When I went to sleep it was just the 'original' castle. Now it's an even bigger, prettier one!
And you guys have founded a new time AND religion :o

This is by far one of the best comics I have read. EVER.

It sucks I don't have enough newpix to read all the backlog, since I have to go in half a newpix :(

Hope I'll catch on later today!

Keep awesome, but don't invent too much new stuff while I'm gone! ;)
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”