1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheMulattoMaker

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:22 am UTC

Mornin', SWuh! Thanks for helping jump-start "newpix" yeserday! :mrgreen:

It's "morning" here in central NA, too, but it's "morning" as in "holy crap the sun's coming up soon why am I still awake?!?!?"

jaycim

Postby jaycim » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 am UTC

Good morning from Germany!

I slept a couple of newpix after watching the slow zooming out. Now I'm back and there's flags everywhere, Megan is back and the thread advanced by 20 pages. This is insane! :)

For me the comic works as some kind of time management. I keep thinking stuff like 'Oh, I can finish this in time for the new frame' or 'I have to schedule a break now to check on the comic'.

Sounds more like addiction than time management, I guess.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:Mornin', SWuh! Thanks for helping jump-start "newpix" yeserday! :mrgreen:

It's "morning" here in central NA, too, but it's "morning" as in "holy crap the sun's coming up soon why am I still awake?!?!?"

It tickled me. And it sounds like something from HGTTG also, which helped ;)

It's 08:24 here... (holy crap I've been here an hour already?!) - what time you at there? Around 04:30?

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:27 am UTC

SWuh wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Mornin', SWuh! Thanks for helping jump-start "newpix" yeserday! :mrgreen:

It tickled me. And it sounds like something from HGTTG also, which helped ;)

It's 08:24 here... (holy crap I've been here an hour already?!) - what time you at there? Around 04:30?

Coming up on 3:30. Coming up on x:30? Holy crap, 0.1 newpix 'til new pic!

Oh, and I'm trying to replace archaic terms like "3:30 AM" wth "7NP". (7 newpix after midnight.) :lol:
Last edited by TheMulattoMaker on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:30 am UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:30 am UTC

AAAHHHH WHERE'D SHE GO AGAIN

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:30 am UTC

NINJA'D <snip>

She go away? :cry:

EDIT: Liiiittle excited about the downward sloping wall to the left hand side, now, though. We could be looking at something *MASSIVE* down there.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:32 am UTC

SWuh wrote:NINJA'D <snip>

EDIT: Liiiittle excited about the downward sloping wall to the left hand side, now, though. We could be looking at something *MASSIVE* down there.

Cueball's probably working there. Megan is most likely out of sight on the far side.

IppeZiepe

Postby IppeZiepe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:32 am UTC

IMHO, "Time" describes relativity of time: kids can run around and play for an hour. To grown-ups, an hour is as fast as blinking an eye, but to a kid an hour of building castles in the sand is like a couple of days. I think we're experiencing time again as if we were six years old. (Sorry if I'm posting something someone else has said already. I followed the forum up to page 17 or so, but catching up will take, like, forever?)

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:33 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:Coming up on 3:30. Coming up on x:30? Holy crap, 0.1 newpix 'til new pic!

Oh, and I'm trying to replace archaic terms like "3:30 AM" wth "7NP". (7 newpix after midnight.) :lol:

I have to admit, I did almost say "I'm almost at the 08:30 panel here, which panel are you near?"

Calling now 17NP doesn't seem too hard to do. Just double the time, right? I can manage that ;) ... also I like knowing you're 10NP behind me rather than five hours. Makes me feel more zen.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 am UTC

So while discussing a comic called Time we have redefined time itself?

that's deep.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:...

I've got the best advice for this. Choose a screen name that nobody else would ever by caught dead with. That way anything insulting coming your way looks pretty minor in comparison.
Quite. I've been accused of being not all there. Well, er... yes. That was rather the point.

The one true comic now has a corner to itself on my second monitor. But I was doing some work during the last update and missed it happening. :(
Last edited by NotAllThere on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 am UTC

She's hiding behind the wall, which despite appearances must be a couple of feet high - of course, one thing we can't tell from this is the underlying beach level.

I recall a few dozen pages ago someone mooting the possibility of a real life recreation of this - oh my, they're really going to have their work cut out and would probably need a small army of helpers to get the complex constructed before the tide turned (unless they built it above the high water line using sand from below it)

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:37 am UTC

Oh LOLLLLL - patzer, I have just noticed the TheMulattoMaker quote in your sig. HILARIOUS. Amazing. Love it :D

mittfh wrote:

She's hiding behind the wall, which despite appearances must be a couple of feet high - of course, one thing we can't tell from this is the underlying beach level.

I recall a few dozen pages ago someone mooting the possibility of a real life recreation of this - oh my, they're really going to have their work cut out and would probably need a small army of helpers to get the complex constructed before the tide turned (unless they built it above the high water line using sand from below it)

Yeah, perhaps the first 125 frames are do-able, but after that it is gonna take some doing (and I don't even think we've seen the biggest and best of it yet!!)
Last edited by SWuh on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:38 am UTC

I'm going now. Don't know when I'll be back. 5 to 25 newpix maybe?
remember,use the wiki, everyone!

Bye!
Last edited by patzer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:38 am UTC

SWuh wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Coming up on 3:30. Coming up on x:30? Holy crap, 0.1 newpix 'til new pic!
I have to admit, I did almost say "I'm almost at the 08:30 panel here, which panel are you near?"
Calling now 17NP doesn't seem too hard to do. Just double the time, right? I can manage that ;) ... also I like knowing you're 10NP behind me rather than five hours. Makes me feel more zen.

I'm on UTC*-14NP, myself.

* Coordinated Universal Time, natch. The comic is universal!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:38 am UTC

Sloping down now... are they perhaps on an island? An island where they have nothing to do other than build sandcastles to pass the time?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:41 am UTC

foilman wrote:Sloping down now... are they perhaps on an island? An island where they have nothing to do other than build sandcastles to pass the time?

It looks to me more like a place where the sand has been piled up for the castle, but not squared off into walls or towers yet.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:41 am UTC

KarMann wrote:I'm on UTC*-14NP, myself.

* Coordinated Universal Time, natch. The comic is universal!

It isn't even 18NP yet, you just completely confused the hell out of me :shock:

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:42 am UTC

NotAllThere wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:...

I've got the best advice for this. Choose a screen name that nobody else would ever by caught dead with. That way anything insulting coming your way looks pretty minor in comparison.
Quite. I've been accused of being not all there. Well, er... yes. That was rather the point.

The one true comic now has a corner to itself on my second monitor. But I was doing some work during the last update and missed it happening. :(

I once knew a chap who used the screen name "alucard" (hint: spell it backwards).

As for mine, it's an acronym. I haven't discovered anyone else using it yet, so chances are a web search on it will only reveal my trail of destruction across the 'net over the past twelve years (plus the acronym's expansion at one location) :D

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:42 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
foilman wrote:Sloping down now... are they perhaps on an island? An island where they have nothing to do other than build sandcastles to pass the time?

It looks to me more like a place where the sand has been piled up for the castle, but not squared off into walls or towers yet.

Looks to me a lot like a slope down that will continue sloping to the left until it is almost at the bottom of the frame before BOOM, we are hit with some MEGA-CONSTRUCTION.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:43 am UTC

Okay y'all. I got one more day48 more newpix of work before the long weekend. I should probably get some sleep so I can get through it.

See y'all later on... I'll be expecting this tread to be pushing Page 90 by then...

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:44 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:This is by far one of the best comics I have read. EVER.

Maybe "read" isn't the word you were looking for, given that there have only been two words used...

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:45 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:Okay y'all. I got one more day48 more newpix of work before the long weekend. I should probably get some sleep so I can get through it.

See y'all later on... I'll be expecting this tread to be pushing Page 90 by then...

Adieu. We will see you on the other side :D

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:46 am UTC

So now I know what mittfh stands for....

I can't believe I just googled that.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

NotThatHatGuy

Postby NotThatHatGuy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:51 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:So now I know what mittfh stands for....

I can't believe I just googled that.

Me, either. So it just means BOFH?

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:55 am UTC

I really hope the Game of Thrones theory is not true.
It's not that I would mind a direct and amusing comic about the new season, even if it's a financed one. But a commercial teaser this long without us knowing it's a commercial, would be annoying.
So I'm hoping this one is about a day at the beach, a friendly sandcastle competition and maybe a mathematical calculation about the number of grains of sand that were not harmed during the making of this comic.
It's about time.

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:00 am UTC

I've just finished page 66 out of 73. What I have read has frighten me.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:00 am UTC

So here we are - Megan back in the frame.

The guy built a fortress-like castle.
Megan fell for Neuschwanstein.... and she's not finished, yet. :)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Looks like I was likely right about that being transformed into a wall or something.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:03 am UTC

So she's still there, working on it. Nice. That's what I was hoping to see, although the downward slope doesn't seem to be turning into the massive pit I predicted.

Also I LOVE the countdown timer but I set it to LOUD so that I wouldn't miss the new panels but happened to already be staring at the comic this time and actually jumped out of my skin :oops: - maybe there is a healthy medium somewhere?

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Well I have given up trying to keep up with this thread. Will mostly be lurking again...

Just too many posts per newpic for me...
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:13 am UTC

i wonder if anyone has already tried to determine "local-time" in the strip
(or are they on a planet where they've never got to sleep?)

and the next thing, if not even the first thing, would be to determine the
time-factor between local-time and newpix... (or does 1NP equal half
an hour for megan&cue too?)

best-case: 1NP==30mins and we can determine local time - then we
could map time to space (-> timezonediscussion) so we could find out
where on earth (if it's earth at all) the sandcastle is built.

wouldn't wonder if randall payd attention to that...

so long

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:19 am UTC

I wonder if this has set the record for something like "slowest animated short" or something like that.
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:25 am UTC

daef wrote:i wonder if anyone has already tried to determine "local-time" in the strip
(or are they on a planet where they've never got to sleep?)

and the next thing, if not even the first thing, would be to determine the
time-factor between local-time and newpix... (or does 1NP equal half
an hour for megan&cue too?)

best-case: 1NP==30mins and we can determine local time - then we
could map time to space (-> timezonediscussion) so we could find out
where on earth (if it's earth at all) the sandcastle is built.

wouldn't wonder if randall payd attention to that...

so long

See this is where it is frustrating for us.

To us 1NP is always, has always and I assume will always be 30 minutes (since that is the rate at which we have thus far been receiving new pics). To cueball and Megan, it's variable, it seems. Sometimes it seems like the time difference between frames is a mere second (the movement of a head, or a hand), and others it seems closer to a few minutes (the crenelating and general building of the castle). Other times it is about 10-30 seconds (walking down to the shore and back up again) and at others it is completely indeterminable (the initial 'sitting/lying/chilling at the beach' phase. The 'lone castle' phase).

So simply put, I think this comic is carefully crafted so that we do not know the passage of time within it. Quite smart, really.

Magnap

Postby Magnap » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 am UTC

Phew, just caught up. By the way, i think we should rid ourselves of all Outsider-thinking by coining a new term for what They call "Sleep". The Creator himself has helped us in comic #203 to coin the new verb, "to coma", with "coma" as the present tense and "comad" as the past, and with the future tense (which all verbs need!) still to be decided.
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:27 am UTC

Beidah wrote:
Beidah wrote:Page 41 out of 57.... I guess my week is booked solid.

Page 57 out of 72. 16 steps forward, 15 steps back.

I seem to be playing Achilles and the tortoise with myself. I'll never be able to over take myself if I quote myself...

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:28 am UTC

Magnap wrote:Phew, just caught up. By the way, i think we should rid ourselves of all Outsider-thinking by coining a new term for what They call "Sleep". The Creator himself has helped us in comic #203 to coin the new verb, "to coma", with "coma" as the present tense and "comad" as the past, and with the future tense (which all verbs need!) still to be decided.

...I'll have to coma over this idea first

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:29 am UTC

I have just tried to explain to 2 colleagues in Germany that I got up 4 newpix early today (although I used the Outside vernacular for the passage of Time) in order to catch up on a webcomic that updates every newpix and the discussion thread about it. They seemed confused.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 am UTC

Not as satisfying as it could have been, but satisfying nonetheless.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”