1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SWuh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 am UTC

micdi wrote:
SWuh wrote:
KarMann wrote:Cueball's back! (Actually, Cueball's head.)

I have never been so joyous to see a simple stick man (well, not since the last time he returned. And the point a while back when Megan returned...

gotta sig this, so true

That is awesome, and thank you... but please close my parentheses. I can't bear to even consider I made that mistake, nevermind see it in every one of your posts :oops:

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 am UTC

micdi wrote:Off topic note (probs been mentioned before, don´t have enough newpices to check):
This Thread now has more views than the forum rules...

EDIT: By far

Excluding the forum rules, we've got 1.5x the number of replies as Pickup Artist and 3x the number of replies as Atheists.
We've got nearly twice the number of views as Umwelt and Loud Sex.
No doubt over the next few days the gap between this thread and all the others will continue to grow :)

Replies:
1090 Time: 3113
1027 Pickup Artist: 2030
0774 Atheists: 1041

Views:
1090 Time: 281605
1037 Umwelt: 161149
0316 Loud Sex: 154147

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:Checking in for the morning. I'm very happy with the progress. I feared the end for the sandcastle builders.

I hope the people who wanted flags are happy.

VERY happy with the flags. I was secretly hoping the whole time.

Flags and turrets? I didn't dare dream of such a world. Yet, here it is in front of us. Majestic.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
chem1190c wrote:edit again: or a larger section of the same sandcastle?

This one has flags and cones.

(Must be under construction)

I actually snickered at the "Must be under construction". My humor is so dry... :oops:
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 am UTC

Jonas79 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
chem1190c wrote:edit again: or a larger section of the same sandcastle?

This one has flags and cones.

(Must be under construction)

I actually snickered at the "Must be under construction". My humor is so dry... :oops:

Oooooh I get it!! Hahaa </late>

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 am UTC

One does wonder though when exactly does what we are doing right now become disturbingly similar to watching the "parlor walls" of Fahrenheit 451... granted, doing it with the understanding that this is to end sometime soon is obviously not the same as doing it routinely.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:10 am UTC

Ok. New theory, black hat guy arrives riding a tidal wave on an unusually large southern* bluefin tuna and lands exactly in the middle of two particularly large sandcastles.. resulting in a tuna sandcastle which..

wait for it
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:10 am UTC

*If I've learned anything reading this thread it's that the southern bluefin can probably be identified by it's use of " Y'all " as a fourth person pronoun

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:11 am UTC

Can anyone quote the (for sure already posted) explanation of our experienced sand castle builders on how to build poles and flags entirely of sand?*

*Of course: Ovens or anything else above 100°C is considered as cheating.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Oripy

Postby Oripy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:12 am UTC

I didn't read the whole thread and I'm wondering if any of this question has been researched yet:
- Do someone estimated the actual speed of the "movie" we are watching? I mean (with my poor English): normal films are 24 frames per seconds, if we show the normal film at a 2x slowed down pace, we got a slow motion. Here we have a slow motion with a really low frame rate.
Do you think Randall's "movie" have an approximated fixed framerate? How much time does it actually take to build such a huge sand castle? I would think that it is somewhat a fixed framerate as sometime it take a long time before something actually happened.

Knowing that we could estimate this framerate we can estimate in how many Newpix does the sun is likely to set.
Last edited by Oripy on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:12 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Can anyone quote the (for sure already posted) explanation of our experienced sand castle builders on how to build poles and flags entirely of sand?*

They've obviously chemically cross-linked the silica

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:13 am UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:One does wonder though when exactly does what we are doing right now become disturbingly similar to watching the "parlor walls" of Fahrenheit 451... granted, doing it with the understanding that this is to end sometime soon is obviously not the same as doing it routinely.

I am already on the verge of that. I sulked for a whole 30 seconds at the boyfriend last night when he asked me to "stop checking that thread and give me a cuddle, please". I am keeping myself on a tight leash with this, I have a slightly obsessive/addictive personality I think :?

JordanTheProgrammer

Postby JordanTheProgrammer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:13 am UTC

When he said "Later" He went out and got flags.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 am UTC

I should probably go to work now... or something

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:
An overview of the last 2000+ posts on this thread
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:
Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
915 Connoisseur of frames
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Wave destroys castle(s)
- BHG shows up (with possible destruction of castle(s))
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- Somehow loops back to start frame
- Ends with an April Fools
- Goes on for months (maybe forever)
- wait for it....
Off topic discussions
Spoiler:
- Gender Neutral Pronouns
- The fact that this thread has beat every possible record for the forums
- Does Y'all refer to a group or one person etc...
- What is outside? Is that like Mesopotamia?
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Newpic is also accepted as a singular version.
Did you guys see the Javascript?? (the answer is yes)
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Speculated meanings behind this comic
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Increase Forum Activity
- To make the most posted forum topic something other than a massive flame war
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- Its just a freaking sandcastle... don't read into it...
- April Fools Leadup
- Taking a vacation and wanted something to keep our attention

Bump

Been a few pages since this was bumped.

Edit: And yes, I do know this info is also on the wiki, but I think it should be in the thread as well for new readers.
Last edited by Jonas79 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You did it BlitzGirl!

micdi

Postby micdi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 am UTC

SWuh wrote:
micdi wrote:
SWuh wrote:

I have never been so joyous to see a simple stick man (well, not since the last time he returned. And the point a while back when Megan returned...

gotta sig this, so true

That is awesome, and thank you... but please close my parentheses. I can't bear to even consider I made that mistake, nevermind see it in every one of your posts :oops:

Done
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 am UTC

SWuh wrote:
micdi wrote:
SWuh wrote:
gotta sig this, so true

Obligatory:
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:17 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Can anyone quote the (for sure already posted) explanation of our experienced sand castle builders on how to build poles and flags entirely of sand?*

Megan and Cueball have the advantage of being stick figures, so their tiny hands allow them to perform very fine manipulations. To them each grain of sand can be positioned exactly in the right place to allow for perfect bonding.
This does rather beg the question about how long it takes one grain at a time.

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:19 am UTC

SWuh wrote:
Wooloomooloo wrote:One does wonder though when exactly does what we are doing right now become disturbingly similar to watching the "parlor walls" of Fahrenheit 451... granted, doing it with the understanding that this is to end sometime soon is obviously not the same as doing it routinely.

I am already on the verge of that. I sulked for a whole 30 seconds at the boyfriend last night when he asked me to "stop checking that thread and give me a cuddle, please". I am keeping myself on a tight leash with this, I have a slightly obsessive/addictive personality I think :?

Normally, any cuddle should fit inside a newpic 8-) ; so even a slightly obsessive person can plan accordingly.
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:19 am UTC

10 pages in 13 newpix... of course I have time to read them all...
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:I'm more prone to call the increment of Frame animation in the comic Time... "Timeframes".

Best part is that it's totally obscure out of context:

"When did you get icecream?"
"Dude, that was like 3 timeframes ago"
"Timeframes? Like the Victorian era?"

BUMP

I'm officially creating the terminology of TimeFrames to mean "Standard" usage, for the American audience. np can remain on the metric scale.

(I metric. He was a nice guy)
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:I'm officially creating the terminology of TimeFrames to mean "Standard" usage, for the American audience. np can remain on the metric scale.

Ric as in Casablanca? Now I have "As Time Goes By" playing in my head.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:*If I've learned anything reading this thread it's that the southern bluefin can probably be identified by it's use of " Y'all " as a fourth person pronoun

lawl

I mean l'all
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 am UTC

Pardon me if this has already been defined in this huge thread. It seems that a person who does not believe in this new religion spin-off of this comic is called an "outsider" - but what is a believer called? I might be persuaded to convert from whovian, but I need to know what to call myself... "Timer"? "Temporalist"? "Sandcastler?" "TimeWatcher?" "SandcastleWatcher?"

/Lasse
Last edited by lassehp on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

Akion

Postby Akion » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 am UTC

SWuh wrote:I have a slightly obsessive/addictive personality I think :?

Yes, you probably have. Also, I'd suggest you to stop looking at the thread and the comic for a while, else you'll get one of the most unpleasant Tetris effect of all time: when you go to sleep, you'll get a dream about commenting here, and watching new images uploaded that your mind makes up, only to wake up to something totally different, making a confusion about what's real life, what are your expectations, and dreams totally ruined.

ModoTheGreat

Postby ModoTheGreat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 am UTC

I keep thinking I'll catch up to the forum eventually, but it moves about as fast as I can read... It's come to the point where I no longer have time to check the One True Comic and have to rely on others posting updates here... And I fear I shall never catch up on the parts I miss at the times I have to leave.

...I really shouldn't be posting this, it's taking up too much precious Time.

p.s. Yep, former lurker. I access the fora through the link in the 'About' section of the Xkcd main page.

Demki

Postby Demki » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:26 am UTC

Am I the only one who was thinking it will end with Neil Patrick Harris' face and a text bubble saying '-dary! True story.'?

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 am UTC

Akion wrote:
SWuh wrote:I have a slightly obsessive/addictive personality I think :?

Yes, you probably have. Also, I'd suggest you to stop looking at the thread and the comic for a while, else you'll get one of the most unpleasant Tetris effect of all time: when you go to sleep, you'll get a dream about commenting here, and watching new images uploaded that your mind makes up, only to wake up to something totally different, making a confusion about what's real life, what are your expectations, and dreams totally ruined.

That doesn't sound unpleasent, it actually sounds like fun :D

You did it BlitzGirl!

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 am UTC

micdi wrote:Done

You're a star!

KarMann wrote:Obligatory:

Thanks for that :oops:

GerardE wrote:Normally, any cuddle should fit inside a newpic 8-) ; so even a slightly obsessive person can plan accordingly.

Ah yes, I managed more than a cuddle in a newpic... however this was at a point where the thread was also deeply involved in my obsessions as well. It is now only involved to a certain point. The point at which real life takes over if need be.

Akion wrote:Yes, you probably have. Also, I'd suggest you to stop looking at the thread and the comic for a while, else you'll get one of the most unpleasant Tetris effect of all time: when you go to sleep, you'll get a dream about commenting here, and watching new images uploaded that your mind makes up, only to wake up to something totally different, making a confusion about what's real life, what are your expectations, and dreams totally ruined.

Thanks, I think I have it under control now. I only check the thread for around 15mins every hour, meaning I am actually getting my real life shit done also (even if my real life shit *is* only catching up on TV today - it's my day off, I'm allowed ;))

Construction continues :)

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:31 am UTC

Stabilisation works and some more construction?

<snip> How do you keep doing that so quickly, SWuh?
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

freezer

Postby freezer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:31 am UTC

We'll be zooming out all through the day.
Tomorrow, we will zoom-in on another part of the beach, where Cueball is just starting to work on a brand new sand castle. He'll be building it for at least 2-3 days. Then another zoom-out.
Next week: nightfall. The comic will be pitch black for the whole week.
Mid-April: Cueball and Megan wake up by the sand castles and start fixing up damage caused by a bunch of coyotes.
May: a mosquito bites Cueball and he screams. More sand castles. Megan goes to the bathroom.
2014: zoom in to a spot near one of the sand castles where a plant starts to bloom.
2017: the plant is now a huge tree, Cueball and Megan die from dehydration.
2035: xkcd servers go down due to a mysterious accident and we never get to see the ending.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:32 am UTC

Eoink wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:I'm officially creating the terminology of TimeFrames to mean "Standard" usage, for the American audience. np can remain on the metric scale.

Ric as in Casablanca? Now I have "As Time Goes By" playing in my head.

I guess the song game didn't survive the night.

Spoiler:
inhalvast wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Grepus wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
lovepirate wrote:
Wooloomooloo wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
mojacardave wrote:Image

Latest frame has this song stuck in my head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJ-oT2ZBa0

I'm sad that it may be ending :(

As a theme song for "Time", I see your Perry Como and raise with a Touch and go ("life's a beach") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryalMzJhmO8

For me, the song I've had stuck in my head this whole time is "Time" by Hootie and the Blowfish.
"Time,
Why you punish me?
Like a wave crashing into the shore, you wash away my dreams.
Time,
Why you walk away?
Like a friend with somewhere to go, you left me cryin'

Can you teach me 'bout tomorrow and all the pain and sorrow,
Runnin' free?
'Cause tomorrow's just another day, and I don't believe in time."

It's still the same old story
The fight for love and glory
A case of do or die
The world will always welcome lovers
As time... goes... by...

Tiiiiiiime is on my side, yes it is...

As long as there's sand and
as long as there's sea
as long as their's time
I'll wait hopefully...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApiUC-R5_6Q

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
Till Eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you...

But now I'm building...
Sandcastles in the sand (Sandcastles in the sand)
Thought I could fly when you held my hand (Thought I could fly)
Eternity turns to black and white
It was the greatest week and a half of my life

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:32 am UTC

Grepus wrote:Stabilisation works and some more construction?

<snip> How do you keep doing that so quickly, SWuh?

Pure luck, I think? Also I use the countdown 'BONG' ( http://www.webcountdown.de/?a=gxMXfoy ) which usually happens around 5secs before the change for me :) ... I like to watch it change live :oops:

freezer wrote:We'll be zooming out all through the day.
Tomorrow, we will zoom-in on another part of the beach, where Cueball is just starting to work on a brand new sand castle. He'll be building it for at least 2-3 days. Then another zoom-out.
Next week: nightfall. The comic will be pitch black for the whole week.
Mid-April: Cueball and Megan wake up by the sand castles and start fixing up damage caused by a bunch of coyotes.
May: a mosquito bites Cueball and he screams. More sand castles. Megan goes to the bathroom.
2014: zoom in to a spot near one of the sand castles where a plant starts to bloom.
2017: the plant is now a huge tree, Cueball and Megan die from dehydration.
2035: xkcd servers go down due to a mysterious accident and we never get to see the ending.

Please, GOD, don't let this happen!!!!!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:34 am UTC

Jonas79 wrote:[...Massive BUMP post...]

It was decided that this wasn't going to be done any more, because it's gotten massively out of control. It wasn't so bad when it was just links to the two best ways of viewing the comic, but now it's been hugely expanded for expansion's sake. The wiki was set up so that we stopped doing this, and I think that's a sensible move!
Last edited by mojacardave on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:36 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 am UTC

Just a thought (and at this point in the thread, it's almost redundant to apologize if someone has already pointed this out):
If I remember correctly, the "Users browsing this forum" count has been between 200 and 800 guests (and a slightly lower number of registered users) since the beginning of Time, 159 newpics ago. Let's make the basic assumptions that most lurkers are lurking this thread, that the average user count has been around 400, and that the typical user spends roughly half [insert appropriate possessive pronoun here] time actually reading the thread, while the site is open. This would boil down to about 32,000 man-newpics or 16,000 man-hours. Most of this time was presumably spent by scientists and engineers.
Would anyone like to hazard a guess regarding how far into the space program this would have gotten us?

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:
Spoiler:
KroniK907 wrote:
An overview of the last 2000+ posts on this thread
Feel Free to Bump

Countdown to next update:
[spoiler]
Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
915 Connoisseur of frames
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:If we're going to do the 915 thing, I suggest we go all the way and group certain frames into periods.
I suggest the following split:

000 - 009 : the debut or what? period: when nobody really knew what was going on
010 - 023 : the dark period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames
024 - 044 : the sandcastle period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
045 - 074 : the period (second dark period): Initially, this was the 'female period' but I soon realised that would be a pleonasm. Also it was a pretty dark time on the thread.
075 - 087 : the happiness period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
105 - 124 : the rebuild period (second sandcastle period).
125 - 136 : Age of the Slow Pixel
137 - NOW : The Great Expansion: Still in progress! How exciting!
End of Comic Theories
Spoiler:
- Wave destroys castle(s)
- BHG shows up (with possible destruction of castle(s))
- Castle(s) slowly erode
- Somehow loops back to start frame
- Ends with an April Fools
- Goes on for months (maybe forever)
- wait for it....
Off topic discussions
Spoiler:
- Gender Neutral Pronouns
- The fact that this thread has beat every possible record for the forums
- Does Y'all refer to a group or one person etc...
- What is outside? Is that like Mesopotamia?
What is a newpix?
Spoiler:
A Newpix is defined as one 30 minute period. AKA the time between the release of each new image
Newpic is also accepted as a singular version.
Did you guys see the Javascript?? (the answer is yes)
Spoiler:
As it was mentioned wayyy back in the first 5 pages of this thread, the javascript is on its 7th revision and is there to do two things: Load a new image and refresh the image so that you dont have to mash F5 and crash his server when a new picture loads.
Speculated meanings behind this comic
Spoiler:
- THEY ARE HAVING A BABY
- Randall died
- Increase Forum Activity
- To make the most posted forum topic something other than a massive flame war
- Publicity stunt
- Targeted Advertising
- Its just a freaking sandcastle... don't read into it...
- April Fools Leadup
- Taking a vacation and wanted something to keep our attention

Bump

Been a few pages since this was bumped.

Edit: And yes, I do know this info is also on the wiki, but I think it should be in the thread as well for new readers.[/spoiler]

It was decided that this wasn't going to be done any more, because it's gotten massively out of control. It wasn't so bad when it was just links to the two best ways of viewing the comic, but now it's been hugely expanded for expansion's sake. The wiki was set up so that we stopped doing this, and I think that's a sensible move!

So you're saying we need to add another link that includes that wiki?