1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GerardE

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby GerardE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

inhalvast wrote:
notthepope wrote:
GerardE wrote:
notthepope wrote:I wonder if the two different castles represent styles of fortification either from different times or different parts of the world so if the new castle is Neuschwanstein (BAN THE LETTER S FROM GERMAN) the initial castle has a middle-eastern feel to it like the Templar/Assassin ones whose names I might be able to remember if I felt in any kind of state to remember my own name given how long I have been looking at this damned comic even while racking up a mobile bill I don't even want to imagine sitting for hours on a train to and from Birmingham where bizarrely enough I saw a street artist doing a sand sculpture which rather gave me pause for thought given how far I understand Birmingham to be from the sea and what with having the builders in at the moment with some guy drilling a wall only a few feet from my head I really am not sure where any frame of reference lies now least of all my own though at least I spotted that the page has some embedded javascript in it and noone else did I am normally a cogent man I think it is the multiple opened parenthetical clauses which pushed me over the edge edit God damn you comma you got in the way of my lucidity

hope this helps: )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

toomanytoomanytoomanyIdon'tevenknowwhatsemanticeffectthatwillhaveontheuniverseaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Good job, GerardE, you broke him.

At least he has closure, while Time gets on
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

MdN wrote:
daef wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
daef wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
mojacardave wrote: We're trying not to do the bump any more.

Population control?

roflysst

maybe it's "population control" cueball is holding... and we're going to witness wild sand-castle-sex now... %)

Cueball and Megan would set a record for the longest sex scene ever shown on the internet.

imagine pr0n without the possibility to seek or fast forward... one would HAVE TO watch the whole "story" :)
on the other hand - i like sandcastles... seriously - that could easily develop yet another fetish of mine...

...great - now i've got to build a fucking sandcastle

A sandcastle for fucking? :D Sounds fetish-y alright.

http://xkcd.com/414/
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

GerardE wrote:
inhalvast wrote:
notthepope wrote:
GerardE wrote:
notthepope wrote:I wonder if the two different castles represent styles of fortification either from different times or different parts of the world so if the new castle is Neuschwanstein (BAN THE LETTER S FROM GERMAN) the initial castle has a middle-eastern feel to it like the Templar/Assassin ones whose names I might be able to remember if I felt in any kind of state to remember my own name given how long I have been looking at this damned comic even while racking up a mobile bill I don't even want to imagine sitting for hours on a train to and from Birmingham where bizarrely enough I saw a street artist doing a sand sculpture which rather gave me pause for thought given how far I understand Birmingham to be from the sea and what with having the builders in at the moment with some guy drilling a wall only a few feet from my head I really am not sure where any frame of reference lies now least of all my own though at least I spotted that the page has some embedded javascript in it and noone else did I am normally a cogent man I think it is the multiple opened parenthetical clauses which pushed me over the edge edit God damn you comma you got in the way of my lucidity

hope this helps: )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

toomanytoomanytoomanyIdon'tevenknowwhatsemanticeffectthatwillhaveontheuniverseaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Good job, GerardE, you broke him.

At least he has closure, while Time gets on

haven't you ever heard of lisp's super-parentheses?

Code: Select all

]

should solve that problem...

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

daef wrote:imagine pr0n without the possibility to seek or fast forward... one would HAVE TO watch the whole "story" :)
on the other hand - i like sandcastles... seriously - that could easily develop yet another fetish of mine...

...great - now i've got to build a fucking sandcastle

Hehe - I like you...
Last edited by mojacardave on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:
It's the squirrel, of course. About time too.

It is about time ...

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:
It's the squirrel, of course. About time too.

It is about time ...

I'm so happy that the cyclic nature of this thread includes puns! :mrgreen:
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

MdN wrote:A sandcastle for fucking? :D Sounds fetish-y alright.

Fetishy but not ideal. Sand =/= lubricant.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

*yawn* G'morning. Have we taken over any small island nations yet?
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

Sarius1997

Postby Sarius1997 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

I was gone for aroun 18 newpix, and you made more than 20 new pages in this thread. It took long to catch up.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:*yawn* G'morning. Have we taken over any small island nations yet?

We appear to have enough sand to build our own.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

It was just some sand then...
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

Sarius1997 wrote:I was gone for aroun 18 Timeframes, and you made more than 20 new pages in this thread. It took long to catch up.

I'm actually quite perturbed that I missed the naming convention discussion.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

I was able to sorta stay up to speed for newpages 1-72, but had to get sleep over the last few hours and am about to be offline for the next 29-30 newpix :cry: :cry: :cry:

I really liked the old bumping summary, but understand we've moved to a wiki summary [1], and have a few related requests.
  1. Will someone add a "Quotes" page to the wiki; some of the comments over the last fordayapix have had me in stitches, and while I know I will miss many, I'd love to have a summary of the really, really good ones to help me catch up? :)
  2. Will someone add an animated gif, or a limiter to Aubron's system [2], for each Period [3]?
  3. Will someone add a summary of board conversation for each Period?

I feel like I'm abandoning my new family and am going to miss eons of development :oops: . Please, pretty pretty please :? , help me to get caught up quickly tonight, which will help me get from :cry: ---> 8-) ---> :D

[1] http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki
[2] http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/
[3] http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Periods

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:*yawn* G'morning. Have we taken over any small island nations yet?

Cool. I can contribute a portable hobbit-hole and a pot of coffee. Will that help?
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
MdN wrote:A sandcastle for fucking? :D Sounds fetish-y alright.

Fetishy but not ideal. Sand =/= lubricant.

i already had that thought a few times when watching vydia
documentary of humanoid intercourse on beaches...
...but beach-sand doesn't seem to bother bitches...

but on the other hand (i've got plenty "other hands" i guess)
i'd have to check up on time during that beach-sand-castle-action...
...and i'm afraid it could end up like this:

beach.jpg
beach.jpg (26.03 KiB) Viewed 11470 times

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Just got to work and see that pages 57-81 have been created since I departed.... I may have to active "Simmer Mode" for this one.
Last edited by trusstopher on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Sarius1997 wrote:I was gone for aroun 18 Timeframes, and you made more than 20 new pages in this thread. It took long to catch up.

I think the Americans may be annoyed when they wake up to the change of convention. I do prefer the sound of Timeframes to newpix though. It's more ambiguous: I can see people throwing 'timeframes' into everyday conversation for the laugh. Not so much with 'newpix'.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

EMERGENCY NOTICE

Okay, fellow timeWaiters ... I think the time has come to admit that we have a problem. A big problem.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only commentator on this this thread whose first thought on awakening this morning was something along the lines of, "Oh! I wonder how far they got over night! I've got to go check!"

Now that we see the continuing progress it's become all too painfully clear that this can - and most likely will - go on for days, weeks, maybe longer. After all, we all know that Mr. Randall Monroe has far more time on his hands than common sense, as we saw from the Cut and Past episode. How much time do you think it takes him to generate a new frame, when all that changes from the previous one is a couple of stick figures and maybe a few pixels of sand?

The guy has us, and he has us bad.

I'm afraid the time has come to act, before more lives are irreparably ruined. I'm not sure what the solution is - teams assigned to watch over the strip in shifts? Designated authors to keep the thread active while others get some rest (or worse - get some work done)?

And what of those hard-core who have not slept for more than 25 minutes at a stretch since early Monday morning (you know who you are)? Should we start to make arrangements for food deliveries? Contact numbers for family or other loved ones who can apply the occasional sponge bath (in 25 minutes or less)??

People, we are not sheep. The time has come to grasp the bull by the tail and look the situation square in the face! This is our internet time we're talking aobut!!!!

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

Cool. I can contribute a portable hobbit-hole and a pot of coffee. Will that help?

Both essential parts to any new island.

To be honest after starting a new religion and redefining time, I think starting a new civilization is the only real way forwards from here.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

I think the Americans may be annoyed when they wake up to the change of convention. I do prefer the sound of Timeframes to newpix though. It's more ambiguous: I can see people throwing 'timeframes' into everyday conversation for the laugh. Not so much with 'newpix'.

i already use "newpix" all day... no problem!

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:EMERGENCY NOTICE

Okay, fellow timeWaiters ... I think the time has come to admit that we have a problem. A big problem.

People, we are not sheep. The time has come to grasp the bull by the tail and look the situation square in the face! This is our internet time we're talking aobut!!!!

Please don't awaken the sheeple. I haven't had coffee yet, and I'm not entirely sure where I left my time vortex manipulator.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:EMERGENCY NOTICE

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only commentator on this this thread whose first thought on awakening this morning was something along the lines of, "Oh! I wonder how far they got over night! I've got to go check!"

Now that we see the continuing progress it's become all too painfully clear that this can - and most likely will - go on for days, weeks, maybe longer. After all, we all know that Mr. Randall Monroe has far more time on his hands than common sense, as we saw from the Cut and Past episode. How much time do you think it takes him to generate a new frame, when all that changes from the previous one is a couple of stick figures and maybe a few pixels of sand?

The guy has us, and he has us bad.

I'm afraid the time has come to act, before more lives are irreparably ruined. I'm not sure what the solution is - teams assigned to watch over the strip in shifts? Designated authors to keep the thread active while others get some rest (or worse - get some work done)?

And what of those hard-core who have not slept for more than 25 minutes at a stretch since early Monday morning (you know who you are)? Should we start to make arrangements for food deliveries? Contact numbers for family or other loved ones who can apply the occasional sponge bath (in 25 minutes or less)??

Meh: it's Easter weekend soon. I only have to "work" for another 4 and a half hours and then I can dedicate the time this comic deserves...

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

trusstopher wrote:Just got to work and see that pages 57-83 have been created since I departed.... I may have to active "Simmer Mode" for this one.

I have that problem. I missed about 26np (26 Timeframes) worth of posts. I understand that I should do due (hehe) diligence and read the older posts, but my take on it is that the past is the past. I'm trudging on on to the future!

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

To be honest after starting a new religion and redefining time, I think starting a new civilization is the only real way forwards from here.

I am down with any new civilization that includes coffee.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

daef wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

i already use "newpix" all day... no problem!

Yeah but TimeFrames is an actual pun! You've got to give me props for that (ooooh, a light saber.. thanks!)

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

Hey, hey, hey...! This is supposed to be the British shift. Who's bringing the teapot?

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

count me in - you had me at coffee!

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Coming up on 3:30. Coming up on x:30? Holy crap, 0.1 newpix 'til new pic!

Oh, and I'm trying to replace archaic terms like "3:30 AM" wth "7NP". (7 newpix after midnight.) :lol:

The term midnight feels archaic. I am thinking it should be described as 7 newpix after NDP(New Daily Pic). Granted this would imply a 96 newpix cycle not a 48 with a 144 cycle every third, but this should probably be avoided to increase adoption rates. Stick with a 48 newpix cycle culminating in a possible(but always observed) NDP.

First Daily Pic (FDP) seems to be a better description than New Daily Pic (NDP) to me.
Also stops confusion with the standard NP

I think the New Daily Pic (NDP) idea was in reference to new XKCD comics. But that's unnecessarily complex, even for me!

I went with New Daily Pic because it is a solid reference point. First Daily Pic makes sense as well. Since I have heard 2 yay's for FDP we will go with that. However we have other interesting concepts. Now we can split history as before the start of "Time" and after the start of "Time". Should we create a new Calendar or reset the current gregorian? How will that jive? Since we are now resetting in the middle and not on January. 3/24/2013 was the last day of AD. Mayan's missed by a few months. This was a missed opportunity by Randall I feel.

So I declare this moment as 17.3 New Pix EST on the 4th FDP on the 1st year after the start of "Time"(AT)

Edit: We could also take the opportunity to rename the days of the week and the months. Screw the Romans. The first month of our new year is now Randallary.
Last edited by xspeedballx on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
trusstopher wrote:Just got to work and see that pages 57-83 have been created since I departed.... I may have to active "Simmer Mode" for this one.

I have that problem. I missed about 26np (26 Timeframes) worth of posts. I understand that I should do due (hehe) diligence and read the older posts, but my take on it is that the past is the past. I'm trudging on on to the future!

Either way, it's about Time....

(I wonder if that joke has been repeated in the last 10-15 pages and/or newpix.... crap, I guess I really do have to go back and read it all)
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:

How deep would we have to bury an inverse wardrobe in the Narnian desert to outclass palm islands in less than 1000 newpix?
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:...

It was just some sand then...

Kind of looks like a laptop in the sand at this moment, is Cueball joining us? Or is he changing his status on fb :twisted:
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

AussieJono

Postby AussieJono » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

Hey, hey, hey...! This is supposed to be the British shift. Who's bringing the teapot?

Earl Grey for me I think, some of Twinings finest loose leaf.
<pretentious quote> </pretentious quote>

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

I have the teapot and about 10 types of Tea... Earl Grey anyone?

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:Yeah but TimeFrames is an actual pun! You've got to give me props for that (ooooh, a light saber.. thanks!)

when did TF first come up? i just picked up the association
to the imperial system somewhere in the past...
...and i really like the metric system

and newpix came up earlier afair

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

GerardE wrote:Kind of looks like a laptop in the sand at this moment, is Cueball joining us? Or is he changing his status on fb :twisted:

You know what? It really does kind of look like a laptop!! How strange. A sand laptop that may or may not come to life?!!

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

I will bring you a teapot, if you bring me a bag of Flake bars. And a can of Devonshire custard. I miss it.

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

I vote we sub-divide the units into 'grains' where 20 grains = 1 timeframe and 16 grains = 1 newpix

Oh and a metric 'mote' where 100 motes = 1 timeframe

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
riverssong wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

I will bring you a teapot, if you bring me a bag of Flake bars. And a can of Devonshire custard. I miss it.

Brit living in Spain here... I have flakes, custard (tinned and powdered) and tea (plus pot and strainer... loose leaf, every time for me)... What do you bring to the table?
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

daef wrote:when did TF first come up? i just picked up the association
to the imperial system somewhere in the past...
...and i really like the metric system

and newpix came up earlier afair

I made it up last night (along with the accompanying joke). I didn't introduce it until a couple hours ago.

Spoiler:
peewee_RotA wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:I'm more prone to call the increment of Frame animation in the comic Time... "Timeframes".

Best part is that it's totally obscure out of context:

"When did you get icecream?"
"Dude, that was like 3 timeframes ago"
"Timeframes? Like the Victorian era?"

BUMP

I'm officially creating the terminology of TimeFrames to mean "Standard" usage, for the American audience. np can remain on the metric scale.

(I metric. He was a nice guy)

newpix definitely is an older measurement. I think that the confusing nature of having a Standard vs. a Metric is the biggest draw to me continuing to use it (and convert other people's measurements) The only thing that TF is missing is an arbitrary change.

...Actually I got it. Since the "GONG" is 6 seconds early TF can follow the GONG while np follows the actual update.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:...Actually I got it. Since the "GONG" is 6 seconds early TF can follow the GONG while np follows the actual update.

My 2 cents: I prefer 'DONG' or 'BONG' as these are both infinitely more hilarious :lol:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”