1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Eoink wrote:I've had a look back at the songs and didn't spot this one, although it's quite possible that I missed it. May I humbly suggest a hymn for the religion:
Give that old Time religion
Give me that old Time religion
And it's good enough for me.

That was me, a while back. Now in my sig.
Added: I didn't do it in the context of the songs, granted. I brought it up in relation to the schisming of the TimeWaiters.
Last edited by KarMann on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Almost that magical time... again

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Suck it, SWuh!

benjaminswill

Postby benjaminswill » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Okay, I'm glad we both just ninja'ed Swuh
Last edited by benjaminswill on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Ooooh wow!! Three flags in one go!! :D

Spiffing :)

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Also, I feel strongly that Aubron should be a word, but I'm not sure I can articulate the meaning properly. Say someone brought donuts for everyone, would that be Aubron of them?

I like that....

However I have noticed a slowly emerging issue. This thread is moving at such a rate that only those who are up 24/7 can follow and understand it. Those of us who sleep wake up to a world where the language is barely recognizable and things they thought they knew (like how time is quantified) have changed from when they went to bed. If the speed of development keeps up people will have to sleep less and less just to keep up, Leading to increased sales of caffeine to stay awake. Thereby pushing sales of tea and coffee through the roof.... wait I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.... I need some tea... be right back.

Mr. Moriarty, are you suggesting that we're in danger of reaching some kind of caffeine event horizon? Beats shoes I suppose.

I think my earlier posts got lost in the threads. What are we called? Newpixians? What is our message?

Quite... what will happen at this point I have no idea. Perhaps this is why this whole thing is called "Time" it will be like when Fry has 100 Coffees with his tax rebate and can slow down time.

I like the Newpixian idea. Living on the Island of Newpixia... no raptors allowed.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

At least Megan knows how to climb the castle without falling down and breaking it.
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

shever

Postby shever » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Man...I've been lurking on this thread and watching the image change for many, many newpix now!

Bet Randall wishes he'd included a bitcoin miner on the page :)

EDIT: Multi-flaggage...yay!!!
Last edited by shever on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

appleGirl

Postby appleGirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

So *now* what are they going to do? Build an even larger uber-castle?
appleGirl wrote:
lassehp wrote:[...] but what is a believer called? I may be persuaded to convert from whovian, but I need to know what to call myself... "Timer"? "Temporalist"? "Sandcastler?" "TimeWatcher?" "SandcastleWatcher?"

/Lasse

TimeWaiter?

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

benjaminswill wrote:
Spoiler:

Okay, I'm glad we both just ninja'ed Swuh

I didn't even attempt this time, I heard the bong while chopping salad in the kitchen. At that point, I knew I was beat ;)

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:However I have noticed a slowly emerging issue. This thread is moving at such a rate that only those who are up 24/7 can follow and understand it. Those of us who sleep wake up to a world where the language is barely recognizable and things they thought they knew (like how time is quantified) have changed from when they went to bed.

I'm actually trying to study diachronic language change in signed languages (when I'm not too preoccupied with sandcastle building), but indeed, the literature doesn't say anything about change rates this fast...
I wait for it, therefore I am.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

appleGirl wrote:So *now* what are they going to do? Build an even larger uber-castle?

Just keep going... and going... and... wait for it...

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Eoink wrote:I've had a look back at the songs and didn't spot this one, although it's quite possible that I missed it. May I humbly suggest a hymn for the religion:

That was me, a while back. Now in my sig.
Added: I didn't do it in the context of the songs, granted. I brought it up in relation to the schisming of the TimeWaiters.

That#'s probably what gave me the song as an earworm, but I didn't remember the context.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

That is an awful lot of sand on that beach. If it is a lake, there shouldn't be more than a dozen or so feet of sand. If that were an ocean, we'd have seen some tidal movement by now.

So, in conclusion, they have frozen time and are making the castles just to shock people when time is resumed. Potentially, the Black Hat Guy is off somewhere putting pull-up bars on escellators and carving his own image onto Mt. Rushmore.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

appleGirl wrote:So *now* what are they going to do? Build an even larger uber-castle?

Certainly. Time is an allagory. The Creator created Time and in it put Cueball and Megan. Together they built their world with what the creator has provided (which, in his ineffable wisdom, is just sand). When Megan left Cueballs castle crumbled but he rebuilt it. Now they are together again and building a greater world. It MUST mean something!

We have seen the Castles.
We wait for it.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

Nah that would be too easy and obvious. I'm sure the character's AI has something in there to keep us surprised.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

I keep seeing flag's, and seeing Randall. My brain keeps saying Randall Flagg. Then I get scared. Also I am reminded of my looping back to the beginning troll comment I made many many newpix ago.

M-O-O-N spells sandcastle.

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Also, I feel strongly that Aubron should be a word, but I'm not sure I can articulate the meaning properly. Say someone brought donuts for everyone, would that be Aubron of them?

I like that....

However I have noticed a slowly emerging issue. This thread is moving at such a rate that only those who are up 24/7 can follow and understand it. Those of us who sleep wake up to a world where the language is barely recognizable and things they thought they knew (like how time is quantified) have changed from when they went to bed. If the speed of development keeps up people will have to sleep less and less just to keep up, Leading to increased sales of caffeine to stay awake. Thereby pushing sales of tea and coffee through the roof.... wait I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.... I need some tea... be right back.

More importantly, the decreased sleep will lead to more and more bizarre, disjointed developments as everyone's sanity steadily erodes.......

.......... :shock: Dear Randall............
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

Zindaras

Postby Zindaras » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

I'll be honest, I thought it was over for a while when the picture was just zooming out. Then I come back and get this...superstructure.

I love this comic so much. Now I want to go to the beach and built a giant sandcastle.

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

Also, the zooming and panning has stopped. Will this be the beginning of a new era?
I wait for it, therefore I am.

backwrds

Postby backwrds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

So each second of their time is a minute of our time?

The Owl

Postby The Owl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

If this is going to be one of the hymns, can I suggest Counting Out Time by Genesis as another?

I'm counting out time,
Got the whole thing down by numbers,
All those numbers!
Give my guidance!
Oh Lord I need that now.

erejnion

Postby erejnion » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

Hooray for flagification!

Whizbang wrote:That is an awful lot of sand on that beach. If it is a lake, there shouldn't be more than a dozen or so feet of sand. If that were an ocean, we'd have seen some tidal movement by now.

Hm, some inner sea? But it can't be just any inner sea. Dead Sea?

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Zindaras wrote:I love this comic so much. Now I want to go to the beach and built a giant sandcastle.

So when are we going to get together and do this?
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

benjaminswill

Postby benjaminswill » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

I long for the simplicity of panel 35

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Cueball originally leaving was a metaphor for space exploration. When Megan left, it was a metaphor for colonization ('cuz she is a girl, and so something about pregnancy and nesting). Cueball continued developing on Earth, then left to join Megan. They then built a larger civilization on another planet/star system. The Zoom and Pan was to signify humanity now being spread across multiple (or at least 2) planets.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:So each second of their time is a minute of our time?

Time between frames in the comic isn't equal. I made a post about it a while back:

SWuh wrote:
daef wrote:i wonder if anyone has already tried to determine "local-time" in the strip
(or are they on a planet where they've never got to sleep?)

and the next thing, if not even the first thing, would be to determine the
time-factor between local-time and newpix... (or does 1NP equal half
an hour for megan&cue too?)

best-case: 1NP==30mins and we can determine local time - then we
could map time to space (-> timezonediscussion) so we could find out
where on earth (if it's earth at all) the sandcastle is built.

wouldn't wonder if randall payd attention to that...

so long

See this is where it is frustrating for us.

To us 1NP is always, has always and I assume will always be 30 minutes (since that is the rate at which we have thus far been receiving new pics). To cueball and Megan, it's variable, it seems. Sometimes it seems like the time difference between frames is a mere second (the movement of a head, or a hand), and others it seems closer to a few minutes (the crenelating and general building of the castle). Other times it is about 10-30 seconds (walking down to the shore and back up again) and at others it is completely indeterminable (the initial 'sitting/lying/chilling at the beach' phase. The 'lone castle' phase).

So simply put, I think this comic is carefully crafted so that we do not know the passage of time within it. Quite smart, really.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Megan is clearly thinking about the next step. If she's anything like me, she will be observing that nice open space in between both castles and wondering what needs to go there. I think their AI might be more advanced than I thought.
Image- Kieryn

Drakeesh

Postby Drakeesh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

I have been lurking on this thread for 157 Newpix (and overall for more than 60 kiloNewpix). After an evening with the Outsiders and some "sleep" It took me 4 Newpix to catch up with the thread and was irresistibly compelled to create an account and be attached to it, perhaps I found religion. This is simply amazing in a way that cannot be adequately explained. Thank you.

Time is an illusion.

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

benjaminswill wrote:Image

What a surprise - you praising a single turret frame!

shortround09

Postby shortround09 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

I've been lurking this thread since near the beginning of Time (perhaps 12NP in), and I felt that I had to make the leap from "guest" to "Newpixian." Though, I must confess my sin, in that although I have faithfully kept up to date with all posts, this morning I was so overwhelmed with the number of NewPages that occurred during my coma, that I entirely skipped a few pages in an attempt to maintain my sanity. :(

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:

Time between frames in the comic isn't equal. I made a post about it a while back:

and i am still not sure about that...
...since you don't know how they spent interframe-time

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

Since I asked about what to call it, there has been a few comments using the words TimeWaiters. I will now change my listed religion on Facebook and see how many others by now list TimeWaiter as their religion.

/Lasse
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:
benjaminswill wrote:

35 is a pretty beautiful frame. The later frames are more exciting to watch from a development point of view, but they've lost some of the beauty that the comic used to have - I think it's to do with mystique. We don't know what's coming up, but we have a fair idea of how the comic's developing now. The revelation that the image was slowly zooming out and across was the last major revelation.

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
Zindaras wrote:I love this comic so much. Now I want to go to the beach and built a giant sandcastle.

So when are we going to get together and do this?

so i guess we make the 25th March to the international "build a sandcastle"-day...

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

daef wrote:
SWuh wrote:

and i am still not sure about that...
...since you don't know how they spent interframe-time

I'd happily believe that each frame is about a minute long, and that Cueball is a bit of a dawdler and a contemplator. Megan has always moved fairly uniformly.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:If it is a lake, there shouldn't be more than a dozen or so feet of sand.

Depends on the lake (It's more than 100 feet here).

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

lassehp wrote:Since I asked about what to call it, there has been a few comments using the words TimeWaiters. I will now change my listed religion on Facebook and see how many others by now list TimeWaiter as their religion.

/Lasse

Done.
Image- Kieryn

CF259

Postby CF259 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:
benjaminswill wrote:Image

Ha, that's actually a pretty good connection.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:See this is where it is frustrating for us.

To us 1NP is always, has always and I assume will always be 30 minutes (since that is the rate at which we have thus far been receiving new pics). To cueball and Megan, it's variable, it seems. Sometimes it seems like the time difference between frames is a mere second (the movement of a head, or a hand), and others it seems closer to a few minutes (the crenelating and general building of the castle). Other times it is about 10-30 seconds (walking down to the shore and back up again) and at others it is completely indeterminable (the initial 'sitting/lying/chilling at the beach' phase. The 'lone castle' phase).

So simply put, I think this comic is carefully crafted so that we do not know the passage of time within it. Quite smart, really.
[/quote]

I don't know that it's really that frustrating. Within Time, the passage of time is steady at 1NP every new frame. How it relates to our perceived passage of time outside of Time is immaterial.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”