1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

daef

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
lassehp wrote:Since I asked about what to call it, there has been a few comments using the words TimeWaiters. I will now change my listed religion on Facebook and see how many others by now list TimeWaiter as their religion.

/Lasse

Done.

Done.

Reka

Postby Reka » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

Yeah, basically Megan is pretty good at building sandcastles, while Cueball... isn't.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

benjaminswill wrote:I long for the simplicity of panel 35

It's sort of sad that the initial turret, which started all of this off, was destroyed in the 103 incident.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

Whew. Finally caught up on everything overnight. Just in time for a 4 newpix standards call. Hello, any HL7ers.
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

dp2

Postby dp2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

daef wrote:
SWuh wrote:
backwrds wrote:So each second of their time is a minute of our time?

Time between frames in the comic isn't equal. I made a post about it a while back:

and i am still not sure about that...
...since you don't know how they spent interframe-time

That's an excellent point. For all we know, the frames are exactly 24 hours apart, for example.

Strouticus

Postby Strouticus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

And lo, more flags appear.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Verrrrrrrry minor changes here...

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Oh no! Megan looks depressed!

Discuss.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

I'm starting to really like the theory that we will eventually discover they are trapped in a giant hourglass, and are building sandcastles in a vain attempt to keep from being suffocated by the rapidly growing pile of sand.

Also, I'm gone for a mere 30 Newpix/timeframes/aubron refresh cycles and you spawn an entire civilization, with religion, have a couple of major schisms, then mostly forget about it in favor of eating food. you people are a bit odd. It took me 2 hours/4 newpics/timeframes/whatever to catch up on just the forum!
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
daef wrote:
SWuh wrote:
backwrds wrote:So each second of their time is a minute of our time?

Time between frames in the comic isn't equal. I made a post about it a while back:

and i am still not sure about that...
...since you don't know how they spent interframe-time

That's an excellent point. For all we know, the frames are exactly 24 hours apart, for example.

I am fairly confident in what I said. I am happy there. I don't disagree that people can have their own opinions. I just don't think time moves uniformly between frames, is all :)

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:Verrrrrrrry minor changes here...

Bizarrely, Cueball the slacker seems to have done some work, whilst Megan has just stood still and looked over their creation. Maybe his ears were burning!

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Reka wrote:Yeah, basically Megan is pretty good at building sandcastles, while Cueball... isn't.

see 103

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:That is an awful lot of sand on that beach. If it is a lake, there shouldn't be more than a dozen or so feet of sand. If that were an ocean, we'd have seen some tidal movement by now.

So, in conclusion, they have frozen time and are making the castles just to shock people when time is resumed. Potentially, the Black Hat Guy is off somewhere putting pull-up bars on escellators and carving his own image onto Mt. Rushmore.

I know that consensus has long been that we're looking at sandcastles here, but ... what if this isn't sand? What if it's snow?

If this is a warm-weather scene, then why did Cueball only stick one toe in the water and then retreat from it? Why are we not out of beach? I think it's equally valid to interpret this as a winter storyline. The "sunbathing" frames early on could instead be the making of snow angels. And it's entirely possible that this massive construction is the creation of forts as prelude to a snowball fight.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Gosh, you all bloody love 103 don't you? Well, I have something to tell you!! Just because it contains the most 'action' does NOT make it the best frame. I think in terms of narrative and suspense 126 was by far superior. The not knowing, the questioning, the confusion. The laughter (brought on by the descent into madness)... !!!

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I'm starting to really like the theory that we will eventually discover they are trapped in a giant hourglass, and are building sandcastles in a vain attempt to keep from being suffocated by the rapidly growing pile of sand.

Also, I'm gone for a mere 30 Newpix/timeframes/aubron refresh cycles and you spawn an entire civilization, with religion, have a couple of major schisms, then mostly forget about it in favor of eating food. you people are a bit odd. It took me 2 hours/4 newpics/timeframes/whatever to catch up on just the forum!

Welcome to Newpixia... want some tea and a doughnut?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

daef wrote:
Reka wrote:Yeah, basically Megan is pretty good at building sandcastles, while Cueball... isn't.

see 103

Now we really need a standardized way of referring to XKCD comics vs Time frames.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
SWuh wrote:See this is where it is frustrating for us.

To us 1NP is always, has always and I assume will always be 30 minutes (since that is the rate at which we have thus far been receiving new pics). To cueball and Megan, it's variable, it seems. Sometimes it seems like the time difference between frames is a mere second (the movement of a head, or a hand), and others it seems closer to a few minutes (the crenelating and general building of the castle). Other times it is about 10-30 seconds (walking down to the shore and back up again) and at others it is completely indeterminable (the initial 'sitting/lying/chilling at the beach' phase. The 'lone castle' phase).

So simply put, I think this comic is carefully crafted so that we do not know the passage of time within it. Quite smart, really.

I think anytime you view a time-lapse sequence with a frame every few minutes it is hard to tell the true rate of time passage because so much happens in between that each frame kind of seems random. Some will seem to follow in close sequence, esp. when an activity with little movement is done, but others will just have people appear in seemly random places. I still think they have an advanced AI that is running at a speed that prohibits them keeping up with a real-time pace, hence 4 days to build 2 large sandcastles, which in reality would take 2 people a few hours, or at most a day. We are getting updates of their reality ever 30 minutes, which is maybe every 3-5 minutes in their time. I'm sure this is fully scripted and will go on forever, with bigger and bigger sand castles. Probably on April 1st Randall will reveal this to us as the April fools joke.
Last edited by Kieryn on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:
daef wrote:

see 103

Now we really need a standardized way of referring to XKCD comics vs Time frames.

123 = TimeFrame

#123 = comic

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:Gosh, you all bloody love 103 don't you? Well, I have something to tell you!! Just because it contains the most 'action' does NOT make it the best frame. I think in terms of narrative and suspense 126 was by far superior. The not knowing, the questioning, the confusion. The laughter (brought on by the descent into madness)... !!!

No, no ridiculous. 16 was the best. Only known interaction with water thus far! Magnificent frame.

jowo

Postby jowo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:That is an awful lot of sand on that beach. If it is a lake, there shouldn't be more than a dozen or so feet of sand. If that were an ocean, we'd have seen some tidal movement by now.

You've never seen Lake Michigan, I take it.
It's about Time....

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
Dracomax wrote:I'm starting to really like the theory that we will eventually discover they are trapped in a giant hourglass, and are building sandcastles in a vain attempt to keep from being suffocated by the rapidly growing pile of sand.

Is there any of that dutch apple pie left?
“have i gone mad?

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Bizarrely, Cueball the slacker seems to have done some work, whilst Megan has just stood still and looked over their creation. Maybe his ears were burning!

Look more closely. Cueball has no ears.

Thoughts?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
mojacardave wrote:Bizarrely, Cueball the slacker seems to have done some work, whilst Megan has just stood still and looked over their creation. Maybe his ears were burning!

Thoughts?

I hope this doesn't mean that members of newpixia and adherents of the religion are expected to cut off their ears.
“have i gone mad?

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Makes sense.

On the point of the lake not having enough sand, it could also be an oasis in a desert.
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

Rivenwulf

Postby Rivenwulf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:Whew. Finally caught up on everything overnight. Just in time for a 4 newpix standards call. Hello, any HL7ers.

I have to deal with HL7 interfaces all day long, but not an HL7 programmer... yet. Thinking I need to become one rather quickly...

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:
SWuh wrote:Gosh, you all bloody love 103 don't you? Well, I have something to tell you!! Just because it contains the most 'action' does NOT make it the best frame. I think in terms of narrative and suspense 126 was by far superior. The not knowing, the questioning, the confusion. The laughter (brought on by the descent into madness)... !!!

No, no ridiculous. 16 was the best. Only known interaction with water thus far! Magnificent frame.

Ah, yes. On a par with 21 as far as setting the scene goes. However as I said, in terms of narrative and suspense, 126 was the cliffhanger of the series.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:

Thoughts?

I hope this doesn't mean that members of newpixia and adherents of the religion are expected to cut off their ears.

Done. Owww.
Image- Kieryn

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

Is there any of that dutch apple pie left?

Yes but Riversong made it with bananas, sugar cookie dough and Nutella.... so Apple pie is a very very loose definition.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:

Thoughts?

Who said anything about cutting off ears!? I didn't sign up for that. No one said this was also a Van Gogh cult!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:Oh no! Megan looks depressed!

Discuss.

Or pregnant.

Sarius1997

Postby Sarius1997 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Well, i´m really interested what will happen now.
Last edited by Sarius1997 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Bytes wrote:Makes sense.

On the point of the lake not having enough sand, it could also be an oasis in a desert.

Or they are on Titan and it is a lake Methane with a humungous beach. They are stranded and confused with what to do with themselves. The time jumps and uneven flow of time is related to the loss of frame of reference of being stuck on an alien world.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:

Thoughts?

I am absolutely certain Randall is creating frames based on our input... too many coincidences
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

notthepope wrote:I wonder if the two different castles represent styles of fortification either from different times or different parts of the world so if the new castle is Neuschwanstein (BAN THE LETTER S FROM GERMAN) the initial castle has a middle-eastern feel to it like the Templar/Assassin ones whose names I might be able to remember

Well, to be honest, the original castle kinda-sorta-somewhat resembles the Krak des Chevaliers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krak_des_Chevaliers), if you ask me (then again having seen it I'm clearly somewhat partial towards it).

Also, I have a growing suspicion that Randall teamed up with Notch, simply wrote an xkcd-renderer for minecraft, and he's just building castles while the comic auto-generates. If at any point a creeper were to waltz into the frame, just remember - I called it... ;)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:Oh no! Megan looks depressed!

Discuss.

She's just contemplating the next step.
Image- Kieryn

daef

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

OT: did anyone notice that mondays geek-and-poke is also about time? http://geek-and-poke.com/

hm8

Postby hm8 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Reading through this thread, Randall has probably gone from amused to very concerned

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

shever wrote:Bet Randall wishes he'd included a bitcoin miner on the page :)

Actually, he did. If you look at the very small text at the bottom of the page, you will read:

BTC 14FHqYSgAi39CEJksUJJsK8JzJzyqFpLVk
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Godsguy

Postby Godsguy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Ok, I've been lurking since roughly comic #300 or so, and am one of the horde that finally registered.

May I submit my application to Newpixia?

Tossing my own theory out there, I think Randall IS watching these boards, quite carefully, and has adapted a bit of the storyline. I'm guessing he would have stopped the line before zooming out, but seeing the response has driven him to continue on.

Or Leading up the April 1st.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Sarius1997 wrote:BTW, did anyone already see this text?

Cyclic thread is cyclic. This has already been discussed...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”