1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

higgs-boson

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

@/discuss ...

When things are ready, they are. I once had a neighbour who had a very large model railroad installation in his cellar rooms. He built it with enthusiasm and into the detail with houses, trees, painting, covering a height of about 1.5 meters.

About one month after completion he took the whole thing apart and restarted. It is the building process where the fun is, he told me. It took me years to see the wisdom in it (I was about 12 back then).

I guess that sand castles are pretty much resembling this zen thing: It is the doing, the progress, the feeling-the-project-evolve, which put worth into it. The finished product may be something to be adored (e.g. on that shore of Britain), but it isn't fun, anymore. Well, okay, depending where it was built one may have a great deal of fun trying to defend the castle against the tide.

Maybe Megan begins to realise that the project is coming to an end.*

I ... actually begin to long for the moment the mouseover text changes to "Thank you for waiting.". I'm lacking sleep, I lose concentration too fast, my notebook DONGs every newpix, having me darting through the office rooms ... My life felt never "normal", but the standard craziness rating was a bit too high the last few days.

*Haha, I don't believe it myself.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:
notthepope wrote:I wonder if the two different castles represent styles of fortification either from different times or different parts of the world so if the new castle is Neuschwanstein (BAN THE LETTER S FROM GERMAN) the initial castle has a middle-eastern feel to it like the Templar/Assassin ones whose names I might be able to remember

Well, to be honest, the original castle kinda-sorta-somewhat resembles the Krak des Chevaliers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krak_des_Chevaliers), if you ask me (then again having seen it I'm clearly somewhat partial towards it).

Also, I have a growing suspicion that Randall teamed up with Notch, simply wrote an xkcd-renderer for minecraft, and he's just building castles while the comic auto-generates. If at any point a creeper were to waltz into the frame, just remember - I called it... ;)

Yes. Definitely auto-generating. Though not sure about the minecraft idea... hmmm. Interesting. I have a proof of concept for auto-generating sand-castles, with source code, but I cannot post links. Anyone interested in seeing it?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

I'm off to go try and be productive........5 TimeFrames later than I intended, thanks to this thread.

(On a side note, I think I prefer TF over NP, just because it seems less like a made-up unit.....for whatever that's worth......if we're still having that discussion)

(On another side note, is the TimeFrame related in any way to the Microlife?)
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Sarius1997 wrote:
We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm consistently finds Jesus. The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.

BTW, did anyone already see this text?
It is located under this picture, and only under this picture, exactly here
[snip]

Code: Select all

BTC 14FHqYSgAi39CEJksUJJsK8JzJzyqFpLVk
We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm consistently finds Jesus. The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.

I saw that when I first visited 1190, but as it's at the bottom of each page, couldn't be sure whether it had appeared with 1190 or if it had been around longer, so refrained from saying anything in case it made me look stupid :)

Incidentally, with the current frame, it looks as though the ground may be levelling out on the far left - unless it's another battlement...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
digimuzik wrote:Oh no! Megan looks depressed!

Discuss.

She's just contemplating the next step.

I think there is a correlation between the distance between Cueball and Megan and the nature of their relationship. I maintain that the first castle (the first world they built together) crumbled because she left and Cueball had to "pick up the pieces" without her. We found that he joined her and they built up their world together again. But now they are far apart. Cueball is building alone and Megan is looking all sad and depressed. She is now standing just outside the world they built together looking in on it. He's still building...does he not know he is building alone?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

squonk wrote:

Discuss.

Or pregnant.

Hang on... We don't have to get pregnant too do we?
I'm not really fine with the whole ear thing either to be honest.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

appleGirl

Postby appleGirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

daef wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
lassehp wrote:Since I asked about what to call it, there has been a few comments using the words TimeWaiters. I will now change my listed religion on Facebook and see how many others by now list TimeWaiter as their religion.

/Lasse

Done.

Done.

Done.

(Also, Oh me yarm, did I just coin a name for a new religion? Awesome!)
appleGirl wrote:
lassehp wrote:[...] but what is a believer called? I may be persuaded to convert from whovian, but I need to know what to call myself... "Timer"? "Temporalist"? "Sandcastler?" "TimeWatcher?" "SandcastleWatcher?"

/Lasse

TimeWaiter?

backwrds

Postby backwrds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:
SWuh wrote:Gosh, you all bloody love 103 don't you? Well, I have something to tell you!! Just because it contains the most 'action' does NOT make it the best frame. I think in terms of narrative and suspense 126 was by far superior. The not knowing, the questioning, the confusion. The laughter (brought on by the descent into madness)... !!!

No, no ridiculous. 16 was the best. Only known interaction with water thus far! Magnificent frame.

jowo wrote:That is an awful lot of sand on that beach. If it is a lake, there shouldn't be more than a dozen or so feet of sand. If that were an ocean, we'd have seen some tidal movement by now.

The almost complete lack of motion of the pond, as well as the difficulty of constructing a castle like this out of only sand (and flags) makes me suspect that this is a winter scene, and they have been constructing a snow fort as opposed to a sand castle.

IT'S SNOW!?

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
Dracomax wrote:I'm starting to really like the theory that we will eventually discover they are trapped in a giant hourglass, and are building sandcastles in a vain attempt to keep from being suffocated by the rapidly growing pile of sand.

Also, I'm gone for a mere 30 Newpix/timeframes/aubron refresh cycles and you spawn an entire civilization, with religion, have a couple of major schisms, then mostly forget about it in favor of eating food. you people are a bit odd. It took me 2 hours/4 newpics/timeframes/whatever to catch up on just the forum!

Welcome to Newpixia... want some tea and a doughnut?

Is there any of that dutch apple pie left?

Yes but Riversong made it with bananas, sugar cookie dough and Nutella.... so Apple pie is a very very loose definition.

In Newpixia, dutch apple pie is ALWAYS made with bananas, sugar cookie dough and Nutella. I have decreed it.

Also, it's Riverssong. Riversong is a level 1 guardian who's never left Archet. :P
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:
Srt252 wrote:
SWuh wrote:Gosh, you all bloody love 103 don't you? Well, I have something to tell you!! Just because it contains the most 'action' does NOT make it the best frame. I think in terms of narrative and suspense 126 was by far superior. The not knowing, the questioning, the confusion. The laughter (brought on by the descent into madness)... !!!

No, no ridiculous. 16 was the best. Only known interaction with water thus far! Magnificent frame.

jowo wrote:That is an awful lot of sand on that beach. If it is a lake, there shouldn't be more than a dozen or so feet of sand. If that were an ocean, we'd have seen some tidal movement by now.

The almost complete lack of motion of the pond, as well as the difficulty of constructing a castle like this out of only sand (and flags) makes me suspect that this is a winter scene, and they have been constructing a snow fort as opposed to a sand castle.

IT'S SNOW!?

Then why did Cueball dip his toe in the water?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
squonk wrote:

Discuss.

Or pregnant.

Since I'm a guy, I'm not sure I can get pregnant.

Also, I would really, really like not to cut off my ears. i need them for hearing things well.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Discuss.

I think there is a correlation between the distance between Cueball and Megan and the nature of their relationship. I maintain that the first castle (the first world they built together) crumbled because she left and Cueball had to "pick up the pieces" without her. We found that he joined her and they built up their world together again. But now they are far apart. Cueball is building alone and Megan is looking all sad and depressed. She is now standing just outside the world they built together looking in on it. He's still building...does he not know he is building alone?

Heavy!

Obligatory quote: Doc: There's that word again: "heavy." Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:
digimuzik wrote:
Now we really need a standardized way of referring to XKCD comics vs Time frames.

123 = TimeFrame

#123 = comic

JCPenney wrote:I'm off to go try and be productive........5 TimeFrames later than I intended, thanks to this thread. <snip>

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Be careful. We already have a unit for this: Newpix.

Unless Newpix refers to the passage of time, while TimeFrame refers to a numbered picture?
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

appleGirl

Postby appleGirl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:
Srt252 wrote:

IT'S SNOW!?

Didn't we see both of them (at different Times) shaking sand out of their hair? Though it could be snow, I guess... Just seems less likely they were lying on the snow.
appleGirl wrote:
lassehp wrote:[...] but what is a believer called? I may be persuaded to convert from whovian, but I need to know what to call myself... "Timer"? "Temporalist"? "Sandcastler?" "TimeWatcher?" "SandcastleWatcher?"

/Lasse

TimeWaiter?

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
squonk wrote:

Discuss.

Or pregnant.

Since I'm a guy, I'm not sure I can get pregnant.

It worked for Arnold...

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

hm8 wrote:Reading through this thread, Randall has probably gone from amused to very concerned

"concerned"?? He hates us.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?

I don't think so. Remember The Fumble?
Pressed snow almost certainly would crumble into larger pieces, not into a heap.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

shever

Postby shever » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
shever wrote:Bet Randall wishes he'd included a bitcoin miner on the page :)

Actually, he did. If you look at the very small text at the bottom of the page, you will read:

BTC 14FHqYSgAi39CEJksUJJsK8JzJzyqFpLVk

Well...that's just his bitcoin address, rather than a Java-based miner (see the bitcoin plus dot org website...I can't post the link here)

On another note...I'm waiting for a breeze and majestic flag soarage :)

alcore

Postby alcore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Any chance somebody will post another updated GIF loop? (I keep missing important evolutions and I need to catch up/fill in!)

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Then why did Cueball dip his toe in the water?

If you buy into k.bookbinder's theory, dipping his toe in the water could symbolise a dalliance, explaining why she left...
Last edited by Grepus on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

alcore wrote:Any chance somebody will post another updated GIF loop? (I keep missing important evolutions and I need to catch up/fill in!)

Srsly?

backwrds

Postby backwrds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
backwrds wrote:
IT'S SNOW!?

Then why did Cueball dip his toe in the water?

Crunching ice is fun?

higgs-boson wrote:

Pressed snow almost certainly would crumble into larger pieces, not into a heap.

Perhaps you're right, but I would counter that the fine details of the conical towers aren't possible with just sand.

Zindaras

Postby Zindaras » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
Zindaras wrote:I love this comic so much. Now I want to go to the beach and built a giant sandcastle.

So when are we going to get together and do this?

This...is a pretty amazing idea.

I'm in Germany, though, not sure if we're anywhere near enough to get together and build something. Also, snowcastles seem to be more of a possibility at the moment.

pdg

Postby pdg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

20+ more thread pages, the rise of a religion, a whole new castle, the return of Megan and Cueball, flags, pointy spires...

Proving that Time will pass you by when you aren't paying attention. The Outside and Sleep are truly robbers of Time. They shall take away your Newpix and replace them with only regret and longing for that which was lost.

Fortunately there is the Book of Aubron to consult. :)
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

Perhaps you're right, but I would counter that the fine details of the conical towers aren't possible with just sand.

I humbly disagree:

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

is this comic still going on in its 4th day?

freezer

Postby freezer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

At some point, Megan and Cueball will leave (or die) and we'll be left with just the natural erosion of the sand castles with each new frame.
Randall is smart enough to create an algorithm to calculate it automatically and keep the comic going forever.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

She's turned her back on him

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

CAUGHT UP! Jesus, people! slow down! It took me 4 newpix to read all the pages I missed when I was comatose.

louspinuso

Postby louspinuso » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

Wow, this is really happening. I've been very unproductive the last 3.5 days. I really need to close all these browser windows on my second screen and get back to work.

New theory (I've skipped a few pages so if this has been already discussed, I apologize):

The scene is going to pan/zoom out again, and again until the scale is about the same as click and zoom but shoved into one frame.

Wait for it.

also, "All hail the Book of Aubron"

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

Contemplation, like in 86 and 87.

EDIT: or another sunset.
Last edited by Magdiragdag on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:I humbly disagree:

What the... *collects jaw from the floor* ...what is that thing reinforced with? Superglue?!?

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

appleGirl wrote:
daef wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
lassehp wrote:Since I asked about what to call it, there has been a few comments using the words TimeWaiters. I will now change my listed religion on Facebook and see how many others by now list TimeWaiter as their religion.

/Lasse

Done.

Done.

Done.

(Also, Gee Willikers, did I just coin a name for a new religion? Awesome!)

Suggested official religion theme song for Timewaiting
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

velkito wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:
Ayriannah wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:I had joined the forums A LONG time ago, had to search my email to find my username.

I have read EVERY SINGLE post here since it all started, at least I think so. I may not have read some of the ninja posts.

Finally, I think I might have something to add that hasn't been said before: I now have a perfectly good use case for Google Glass. I'd be able to keep up with Time (heh!) as it happens.

:shock: ...ohmigod is that actually real? I thought that was an april fools joke? please be real? It looks real from the various googling I've just done, but...

I want one....

yes, and you can maintain a Google+ Hangout while skydiving with it.

(if you are still reading this monstrosity of a thread) I'm curious, are you something of a beta tester? One of the people that got the dev kit? A quick google(heh) search reveals the earliest at which these would be publicly available is the end of this year..

Yes, I am still reading this maddening sequence of events, as a minion to Randall's morbid nerd sniping.

And how do I know all these things about Google Glass? Well, I watched the Google IO last year, where Larry Page interrupted Vic Gundotra, to show everyone on stage how he got into a hangout with a crew of skydivers flying over the conference center, who proceeded to jump from the plane, land on the roof, rappel to the floor, and ride bikes to the stage, all while still in the Hangout through Google Glass. I consider it one of the most glorious moments of Pre-Time.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:CAUGHT UP! Jesus, people! slow down! It took me 4 newpix to read all the pages I missed when I was comatose.

Read faster! It only took me 2 newpix to go from 51 to 82 this morning.

Whizbang wrote:Image

I now fully understand and appreciate this image.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

louspinuso wrote:New theory (I've skipped a few pages so if this has been already discussed, I apologize):

The scene is going to pan/zoom out again, and again until the scale is about the same as click and zoom but shoved into one frame.

No chance - have you ever looked at Click and Zoom squashed into one screen (let alone one window the same width as this comic)? We'd stop being able to distinguish anything at all before we were 20% of the way there. I've underestimated the attraction of this comic in the past, but even the devotees on this thread would lose interest at that point.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:She's turned her back on him

I think she saw something

Arther

Postby Arther » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure it has to be water. The level changed by a few pixels in the first few frames, and again in the early 20's, I'm convinced that was to instruct us as to its fluid nature.

Interesting side note, that side of the scene hasn't changed at all in hundreds of newpix, there definitely isn't a tide. Megan seems mighty interested in it though.

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:
SWuh wrote:
digimuzik wrote:
Now we really need a standardized way of referring to XKCD comics vs Time frames.

123 = TimeFrame

#123 = comic

JCPenney wrote:I'm off to go try and be productive........5 TimeFrames later than I intended, thanks to this thread. <snip>

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Be careful. We already have a unit for this: Newpix.

Unless Newpix refers to the passage of time, while TimeFrame refers to a numbered picture?

And that's my question.......I feel like we need to better define our terms, particularly if we're going to use both TimeFrames and NewPix, both of which I have seen, used basically interchangeably
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Discuss.

At first, I wanted to mock you for all your baseless assumptions, and your "maintaining" something for which there is actually no evidence, but then I realized: This thread was much better when it was full of speculation about the comic, even if that speculation was wrought with baseless, often creepy assumptions and conclusions. Then sometime around page 50 or so, the religion talk started up, and it was funny. But the last 30 pages or so have just been a small number of people trying to demonstrate that they don't know what it means to run a joke into the ground, and it's pretty boring to read. So please, keep bringing this speculation and try to drown out the people who don't know when they've taken a joke too far.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”