1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Assassine
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Assassine » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

lol i had to be busy doing stuff and boom, double amount of pages in the thread.
I guess this is #1 comments by now?

Anyway, i like the idea of it beeing related to click and drag. Doesnt need to be same size, but remember it was very similar to one scene in there at one point.

User avatar
12obin
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:15 am UTC
Location: TO
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby 12obin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Since I'm a guy, I'm not sure I can get pregnant.


It's not because you're a guy. Maybe you don't have a uterus, or the right hormone levels, or you don't have sex with the kind of people who can make other people pregnant. Those are all things that are true of a lot of guys, so I can see how you might get mixed up.
I need a Venn diagram.
Robin. Ey em eir. Visit.

User avatar
Reka
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Reka » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:What the... *collects jaw from the floor* ...what is that thing reinforced with? Superglue?!?

If it was for a competition with the usual sorts of rules, then the answer is: absolutely nothing. (It is quite possible to do incredible things with just wet sand, although you generally need to prepare it much better than Megan & Cueball have been doing - in order to build big things, you need to pack the sand very thoroughly, and then work from the top down.)

User avatar
beargarden
Cardinal
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby beargarden » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

JCPenney wrote:
digimuzik wrote:
SWuh wrote:
digimuzik wrote:
Now we really need a standardized way of referring to XKCD comics vs Time frames.

123 = TimeFrame

#123 = comic


JCPenney wrote:I'm off to go try and be productive........5 TimeFrames later than I intended, thanks to this thread. <snip>


Whoa, whoa, whoa. Be careful. We already have a unit for this: Newpix.

Unless Newpix refers to the passage of time, while TimeFrame refers to a numbered picture?

And that's my question.......I feel like we need to better define our terms, particularly if we're going to use both TimeFrames and NewPix, both of which I have seen, used basically interchangeably


If this is going to become a contested issue, I vote for religious sects. I'll always be a follower of TimeFrames.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

12obin wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Since I'm a guy, I'm not sure I can get pregnant.


It's not because you're a guy. Maybe you don't have a uterus, or the right hormone levels, or you don't have sex with the kind of people who can make other people pregnant. Those are all things that are true of a lot of guys, so I can see how you might get mixed up.
I need a Venn diagram.

will this do?
http://www.louisianavoices.org/images/edu_venn_diagram2.GIF
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

keithl wrote:Randal could draw one of these perhaps every 5 seconds - if he spent 12 hours total doing so, this would go on for 6 months.

OTOH, the comic is simple enough that the placement of heads, arms, and legs could be algorithmically generated. In which case, there could be an huge number of computer generated images spooling out at a half-hour clip, for years. That seems more like Randal's style.

With enough "frames" captured, perhaps someone can diff them and see how similar the parts are.


Why are so few of us catching on to this? Stop waiting for the end! It's like real life... it will only end when you die!

I have an auto-generating xkcd sandcastles theory/proof of concept link, but I can't post links. If anyone has the abilty to post a link, please feel free to repost: it's at [my username].com slash xkcd-time
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

arklan
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby arklan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

been following XKCD for years... read every comic. only just registered now, like so many before me. been following Time like everyone else, and read every post in this thread too. changed my religion on facebook to TimeWaiter. probably worrying friends and family by now...

Randall, our Lord, is a mad genius.

User avatar
mojacardave
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
digimuzik wrote:Oh no! Megan looks depressed!

Discuss.


She's just contemplating the next step.


I think there is a correlation between the distance between Cueball and Megan and the nature of their relationship. I maintain that the first castle (the first world they built together) crumbled because she left and Cueball had to "pick up the pieces" without her. We found that he joined her and they built up their world together again. But now they are far apart. Cueball is building alone and Megan is looking all sad and depressed. She is now standing just outside the world they built together looking in on it. He's still building...does he not know he is building alone?


At first, I wanted to mock you for all your baseless assumptions, and your "maintaining" something for which there is actually no evidence, but then I realized: This thread was much better when it was full of speculation about the comic, even if that speculation was wrought with baseless, often creepy assumptions and conclusions. Then sometime around page 50 or so, the religion talk started up, and it was funny. But the last 30 pages or so have just been a small number of people trying to demonstrate that they don't know what it means to run a joke into the ground, and it's pretty boring to read. So please, keep bringing this speculation and try to drown out the people who don't know when they've taken a joke too far.


I'm pretty much with you on that. That's part of the reason I liked 'TimeFrames' - a simple pun to describe the advancement of the comic, rather than 'Newpix' - a made up word (with an x in it for coolness) to fit the 'new religion'.

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

At last I registered, I tried to resist but I couldn't.
Anyway, everyone (for what I've read, I admit that I have skipped some pages here and there) thinks that the flat thing in the right side of the frame is water or water-related, how do you know? I have a theory that it is acid and that when Cueball touched it with /h(is|er)|its/ (I don't know if I'm allowed to make assumptions here) foot /s?he|it/ lost it: frame 43 proves this, /s?he|it/ clearly has a shorter leg; this would also explain why /s?he|it/ fell destroying the original tower.
Oh, another thing: am I the only one finding strange that they only spoke one time? I mean, if no text was ever shown I would have assumed that they talked but their words were not shown, but frame 52 changes everything!

EDIT: Aaaaaaah, everytime I try to submit this new posts appear and I can't post!

backwrds
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby backwrds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
backwrds wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?


I don't think so. Remember The Fumble?
Pressed snow almost certainly would crumble into larger pieces, not into a heap.


Perhaps you're right, but I would counter that the fine details of the conical towers aren't possible with just sand.


I humbly disagree:
Image


OK... Entertain me if you will for a few more moments:

The water (or ice) hasn't so much as rippled in 140 frames (the flags haven't moved either, but they've only been around for a few frames)
This beach (or snow field) seems to have an inexhaustible supply of building material, even relatively far from the shore.

And something I just realized!

BUCKETS!

Building a sand castle requires water, does it not?

daef
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:
Srt252 wrote:
SWuh wrote:Gosh, you all bloody love 103 don't you? Well, I have something to tell you!! Just because it contains the most 'action' does NOT make it the best frame. I think in terms of narrative and suspense 126 was by far superior. The not knowing, the questioning, the confusion. The laughter (brought on by the descent into madness)... !!!


No, no ridiculous. 16 was the best. Only known interaction with water thus far! Magnificent frame.


jowo wrote:That is an awful lot of sand on that beach. If it is a lake, there shouldn't be more than a dozen or so feet of sand. If that were an ocean, we'd have seen some tidal movement by now.


The almost complete lack of motion of the pond, as well as the difficulty of constructing a castle like this out of only sand (and flags) makes me suspect that this is a winter scene, and they have been constructing a snow fort as opposed to a sand castle.


IT'S SNOW!?


snow is white - see #702

User avatar
Grepus
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
keithl wrote:Randal could draw one of these perhaps every 5 seconds - if he spent 12 hours total doing so, this would go on for 6 months.

OTOH, the comic is simple enough that the placement of heads, arms, and legs could be algorithmically generated. In which case, there could be an huge number of computer generated images spooling out at a half-hour clip, for years. That seems more like Randal's style.

With enough "frames" captured, perhaps someone can diff them and see how similar the parts are.


Why are so few of us catching on to this? Stop waiting for the end! It's like real life... it will only end when you die!

I have an auto-generating xkcd sandcastles theory/proof of concept link, but I can't post links. If anyone has the abilty to post a link, please feel free to repost: it's at [my username].com slash xkcd-time


Here you go: http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
digimuzik wrote:Oh no! Megan looks depressed!

Discuss.


She's just contemplating the next step.


I think there is a correlation between the distance between Cueball and Megan and the nature of their relationship. I maintain that the first castle (the first world they built together) crumbled because she left and Cueball had to "pick up the pieces" without her. We found that he joined her and they built up their world together again. But now they are far apart. Cueball is building alone and Megan is looking all sad and depressed. She is now standing just outside the world they built together looking in on it. He's still building...does he not know he is building alone?


At first, I wanted to mock you for all your baseless assumptions, and your "maintaining" something for which there is actually no evidence, but then I realized: This thread was much better when it was full of speculation about the comic, even if that speculation was wrought with baseless, often creepy assumptions and conclusions. Then sometime around page 50 or so, the religion talk started up, and it was funny. But the last 30 pages or so have just been a small number of people trying to demonstrate that they don't know what it means to run a joke into the ground, and it's pretty boring to read. So please, keep bringing this speculation and try to drown out the people who don't know when they've taken a joke too far.


I think there is a point to this. The whole story of Time shows us the nature of the relationship of Cueball and Megan over time. I think the nature of that relationship has been hinted at in the past in various comics. I think if one were to go through the whole history of xkcd and find all the comics related to Cueball and Megan we might get some idea of where this is going.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Arther
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Arther » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

keithl wrote:Randal could draw one of these perhaps every 5 seconds - if he spent 12 hours total doing so, this would go on for 6 months.

OTOH, the comic is simple enough that the placement of heads, arms, and legs could be algorithmically generated. In which case, there could be an huge number of computer generated images spooling out at a half-hour clip, for years. That seems more like Randal's style.

With enough "frames" captured, perhaps someone can diff them and see how similar the parts are.


Just seen this quoted - I've been capturing and diffing the frames for a while now, but seeing as this is my second post I can't link to anything. Whenever a character moves the entire figure is redrawn. It could be that a bit of random noise is added, but it does look like they were hand drawn.

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
keithl wrote:Randal could draw one of these perhaps every 5 seconds - if he spent 12 hours total doing so, this would go on for 6 months.

OTOH, the comic is simple enough that the placement of heads, arms, and legs could be algorithmically generated. In which case, there could be an huge number of computer generated images spooling out at a half-hour clip, for years. That seems more like Randal's style.

With enough "frames" captured, perhaps someone can diff them and see how similar the parts are.


Why are so few of us catching on to this? Stop waiting for the end! It's like real life... it will only end when you die!

I have an auto-generating xkcd sandcastles theory/proof of concept link, but I can't post links. If anyone has the abilty to post a link, please feel free to repost: it's at [my username].com slash xkcd-time


Here you go: http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/

Thanks!
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
digimuzik wrote:Oh no! Megan looks depressed!

Discuss.


She's just contemplating the next step.


I think there is a correlation between the distance between Cueball and Megan and the nature of their relationship. I maintain that the first castle (the first world they built together) crumbled because she left and Cueball had to "pick up the pieces" without her. We found that he joined her and they built up their world together again. But now they are far apart. Cueball is building alone and Megan is looking all sad and depressed. She is now standing just outside the world they built together looking in on it. He's still building...does he not know he is building alone?


At first, I wanted to mock you for all your baseless assumptions, and your "maintaining" something for which there is actually no evidence, but then I realized: This thread was much better when it was full of speculation about the comic, even if that speculation was wrought with baseless, often creepy assumptions and conclusions. Then sometime around page 50 or so, the religion talk started up, and it was funny. But the last 30 pages or so have just been a small number of people trying to demonstrate that they don't know what it means to run a joke into the ground, and it's pretty boring to read. So please, keep bringing this speculation and try to drown out the people who don't know when they've taken a joke too far.


I'm pretty much with you on that. That's part of the reason I liked 'TimeFrames' - a simple pun to describe the advancement of the comic, rather than 'Newpix' - a made up word (with an x in it for coolness) to fit the 'new religion'.

I'm almost positive the 'x' in "newpix" isn't an example of "poor literacy is kewl" but an example of abbreviation of "NEW PIXEL" Which derives from "PIcture ELement'

As to why they added an 'X' in the original abbreviation of picture element, I don't entirely know, as the 90's were when the substitution of 'X' for other letters became a 'cool' thing, and the word was coined in 1965, or approximately 48 years before the coining of the term "newpix." It is similar in etymology to the terms "voxel" and "texel," both of which are created using a copntraction of the word "element."
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:
SWuh wrote:
digimuzik wrote:
Now we really need a standardized way of referring to XKCD comics vs Time frames.

123 = TimeFrame

#123 = comic


JCPenney wrote:I'm off to go try and be productive........5 TimeFrames later than I intended, thanks to this thread. <snip>


Whoa, whoa, whoa. Be careful. We already have a unit for this: Newpix.

Unless Newpix refers to the passage of time, while TimeFrame refers to a numbered picture?


We need to keep a running quote of the units of measurement..

Metric:
Newpix = 20 grains
metric 'mote' where 100 motes = 1 newpix

Standard:
TimeFrame = 16 grains

Both can be used to determine duration or actual time of day.

When used for duration the conversion is this
1 TimeFrame = 1 Newpix
1 standard grain = 4/5 metric grain
1 mote = 1/100th TimeFrame

When used for time of day, a TimeFrame is based on the BONG/DONG/GONG which is aprox. 0.053 standard grains ahead of the Newpix. The Newpix is based on the exact milli-mote of when the picture actually changes.


Standard Days contain 48 TimeFrames and a new day begins at FDP (First Daily Pic)
Metric days contain 48 Newpix and a new day begins at NDP (New Daily Pic)
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
SWuh
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:07 pm UTC
Location: Bolton, England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SWuh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:I'm pretty much with you on that. That's part of the reason I liked 'TimeFrames' - a simple pun to describe the advancement of the comic, rather than 'Newpix' - a made up word (with an x in it for coolness) to fit the 'new religion'.

If we're splitting hairs, newpix came before this religion stuff (which I have been ignoring, I have to say). It was just a funny way of saying half-hours, is all. Well, that was what it started as. Anyway I have to leave the house in one newpix so I won't get into this discussion too much, Suffice to say I love theorising and newpix, and don't fully get/understand/want to even know about this religion 'stuff'! Again, just my two cents.

As for what's next? I don't know. I do hope this castle keeps building until Monday, now. With an April Fool's punchline (whatever that may be, even if it's just a black screen/loop back to beginning/'Thanks for waiting' mouseover text) but as for my actual predictions? I can't say. Almost none of mine have been correct or proven yet (other than the fact that when it turned to a static castle that it wasn't over) soooo let's... just... wait for it ;)

I have real life holidays to pack for/houses to view/meetings to hold now, so I will be back when I am back. I could be as long as 48newpix. Which is a scary thought! But thanks to Aubron, I should be OK :)

User avatar
foilman
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:48 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby foilman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

At the end (assuming there is one...) the whole thing should be published as a book. Then there could also be an annotated edition detailing what was happening on the forum at the end of each frame. Commemorative copies to everyone involved.

daef
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
keithl wrote:Randal could draw one of these perhaps every 5 seconds - if he spent 12 hours total doing so, this would go on for 6 months.

OTOH, the comic is simple enough that the placement of heads, arms, and legs could be algorithmically generated. In which case, there could be an huge number of computer generated images spooling out at a half-hour clip, for years. That seems more like Randal's style.

With enough "frames" captured, perhaps someone can diff them and see how similar the parts are.


Why are so few of us catching on to this? Stop waiting for the end! It's like real life... it will only end when you die!

I have an auto-generating xkcd sandcastles theory/proof of concept link, but I can't post links. If anyone has the abilty to post a link, please feel free to repost: it's at [my username].com slash xkcd-time


Here you go: http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/



i also threw it into the wiki...: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Useful_External_Links

swiftblade13
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:36 pm UTC
Location: inside of Time

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby swiftblade13 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

Honestly I will be glad if this comic ends soon because it it lasts too long we will become conditioned to it and it will lose all that which makes it so captivating (the uncertain mystery will become replaced by a resignation that it has no meaning nor any epic storyline). On the other hand if it ends soon then we will be provided with a sense of closure and completion and that would be nice to say the lease.
Last edited by swiftblade13 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

daef
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
digimuzik wrote:
SWuh wrote:
digimuzik wrote:
Now we really need a standardized way of referring to XKCD comics vs Time frames.

123 = TimeFrame

#123 = comic


JCPenney wrote:I'm off to go try and be productive........5 TimeFrames later than I intended, thanks to this thread. <snip>


Whoa, whoa, whoa. Be careful. We already have a unit for this: Newpix.

Unless Newpix refers to the passage of time, while TimeFrame refers to a numbered picture?


We need to keep a running quote of the units of measurement..

Metric:
Newpix = 20 grains
metric 'mote' where 100 motes = 1 newpix

Standard:
TimeFrame = 16 grains

Both can be used to determine duration or actual time of day.

When used for duration the conversion is this
1 TimeFrame = 1 Newpix
1 standard grain = 4/5 metric grain
1 mote = 1/100th TimeFrame

When used for time of day, a TimeFrame is based on the BONG/DONG/GONG which is aprox. 0.053 standard grains ahead of the Newpix. The Newpix is based on the exact milli-mote of when the picture actually changes.


Standard Days contain 48 TimeFrames and a new day begins at FDP (First Daily Pic)
Metric days contain 48 Newpix and a new day begins at NDP (New Daily Pic)


put it into the wiki!

User avatar
shashwat986
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:15 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby shashwat986 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
I think there is a point to this. The whole story of Time shows us the nature of the relationship of Cueball and Megan over time. I think the nature of that relationship has been hinted at in the past in various comics. I think if one were to go through the whole history of xkcd and find all the comics related to Cueball and Megan we might get some idea of where this is going.


You know, I think it's just Randall being Randall. There's no deep story. It's just an awesome idea he had. Possibly seeing a GIF and thinking, "You know what, let's slow this shit down!"
Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin -- Tim Vine

daef
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

shashwat986 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
I think there is a point to this. The whole story of Time shows us the nature of the relationship of Cueball and Megan over time. I think the nature of that relationship has been hinted at in the past in various comics. I think if one were to go through the whole history of xkcd and find all the comics related to Cueball and Megan we might get some idea of where this is going.


You know, I think it's just Randall being Randall. There's no deep story. It's just an awesome idea he had. Possibly seeing a GIF and thinking, "You know what, let's slow this shit down!"


probably true - but i like the way imagination takes off the second you've actually got to wait for it!

defineadult
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby defineadult » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

I promised myself that I wouldn't join unless I could get caught up on the full discussion.

Embarrassed to say it, but that's done, so I may now waste even more time by dedicating myself to Time.

SWuh wrote:If we're splitting hairs, newpix came before this religion stuff (which I have been ignoring, I have to say). It was just a funny way of saying half-hours, is all. Well, that was what it started as. Anyway I have to leave the house in one newpix so I won't get into this discussion too much...[snip]


The sun and earth pre-date the formalization of religious thought, but are essential elements of all, so not sure that timing is an issue. Mortals can't be expected to understand right away...or ever....right?

User avatar
riverssong
Gallstone of Fury
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:52 pm UTC
Location: in a portable hobbit-hole in the Ozarks

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby riverssong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
keithl wrote:Randal could draw one of these perhaps every 5 seconds - if he spent 12 hours total doing so, this would go on for 6 months.

OTOH, the comic is simple enough that the placement of heads, arms, and legs could be algorithmically generated. In which case, there could be an huge number of computer generated images spooling out at a half-hour clip, for years. That seems more like Randal's style.

With enough "frames" captured, perhaps someone can diff them and see how similar the parts are.


Why are so few of us catching on to this? Stop waiting for the end! It's like real life... it will only end when you die!

I have an auto-generating xkcd sandcastles theory/proof of concept link, but I can't post links. If anyone has the abilty to post a link, please feel free to repost: it's at [my username].com slash xkcd-time


Here you go: http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/


That's pretty awesome, Kieryn. Nicely done.

The thing is... even if the entire thing is auto-generated (with a more intricate script to account for the panning and such)... what does it change?

Everything we've seen in this forum thread, every speculation and whim and off-topic tangent, is an echo of Real Life In Progress. We seek to find meaning whether or not it exists. We create religions and societies for ourselves every single day, in small and large ways, from our choices of gods to our choices of operating systems and video games.

So even if every single bit of this comic is programmatically generated ... even if there is no "meaning" behind it, even if there is no punchline ... the meaning is still there.

This is Time. This is what it does. This is what it's FOR - building castles in the sand, and watching other people build castles in the sand, and finding significance and humour in it all.

Regardless of Randall's intent, or the eventual resolution (or not) of the comic, that meaning still holds.

Party on, dudes.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

shashwat986 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
I think there is a point to this. The whole story of Time shows us the nature of the relationship of Cueball and Megan over time. I think the nature of that relationship has been hinted at in the past in various comics. I think if one were to go through the whole history of xkcd and find all the comics related to Cueball and Megan we might get some idea of where this is going.


You know, I think it's just Randall being Randall. There's no deep story. It's just an awesome idea he had. Possibly seeing a GIF and thinking, "You know what, let's slow this shit down!"


Yes but Randall can be deep about these kinds of relationships. Think about Two Years http://www.xkcd.com/1141/
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

blowfishhootie
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
backwrds wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?


I don't think so. Remember The Fumble?
Pressed snow almost certainly would crumble into larger pieces, not into a heap.


Perhaps you're right, but I would counter that the fine details of the conical towers aren't possible with just sand.


I humbly disagree:
Image


OK... Entertain me if you will for a few more moments:

The water (or ice) hasn't so much as rippled in 140 frames (the flags haven't moved either, but they've only been around for a few frames)
This beach (or snow field) seems to have an inexhaustible supply of building material, even relatively far from the shore.

And something I just realized!

BUCKETS!

Building a sand castle requires water, does it not?


This is not a movie, it is a series of still "photos," so there's no reason to assume that just because you don't see something happening doesn't mean it isn't happening. I can't visibly see the people breathing! They must be alien life forms!

It's stick-figures in a black-and-white world. The level of detail you seem to demand is both impractical and unnecessary - how, exactly, they are getting the sand to stay is probably not important, though we won't know for sure until we have even more context.

User avatar
Grepus
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Image

Damn it, now Megan really does look sad...
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

User avatar
digimuzik
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:It's stick-figures in a black-and-white world. The level of detail you seem to demand is both impractical and unnecessary - how, exactly, they are getting the sand to stay is probably not important, though we won't know for sure until we have even more context.


You dare to suggest reasonability? Nonsense! I demand this thread contain more incoherence!
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

User avatar
Envelope Generator
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:07 am UTC
Location: pareidolia

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Envelope Generator » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

swiftblade13 wrote:Honestly I will be glad if this comic ends soon because otherwise it would lose it's novelty entirely and then just be one more forgotten curiosity of the internet.


Everything will be a forgotten curiosity of the internet.

No, put away that Super Soaker.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

User avatar
Flotter
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:33 am UTC
Location: Heerenveen, NL

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Flotter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Megan is taking a break, contemplating what to do next :)
Last edited by Flotter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Phaelin
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Phaelin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Let the crazy theories commence!

backwrds
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby backwrds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?


snow is white - see #702


sand is white - see #505

I see no compelling argument one way or the other. (though I am curious about the lack of buckets)

sotanaht
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby sotanaht » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
digimuzik wrote:Oh no! Megan looks depressed!

Discuss.


She's just contemplating the next step.


I think there is a correlation between the distance between Cueball and Megan and the nature of their relationship. I maintain that the first castle (the first world they built together) crumbled because she left and Cueball had to "pick up the pieces" without her. We found that he joined her and they built up their world together again. But now they are far apart. Cueball is building alone and Megan is looking all sad and depressed. She is now standing just outside the world they built together looking in on it. He's still building...does he not know he is building alone?


At first, I wanted to mock you for all your baseless assumptions, and your "maintaining" something for which there is actually no evidence, but then I realized: This thread was much better when it was full of speculation about the comic, even if that speculation was wrought with baseless, often creepy assumptions and conclusions. Then sometime around page 50 or so, the religion talk started up, and it was funny. But the last 30 pages or so have just been a small number of people trying to demonstrate that they don't know what it means to run a joke into the ground, and it's pretty boring to read. So please, keep bringing this speculation and try to drown out the people who don't know when they've taken a joke too far.


I'm pretty much with you on that. That's part of the reason I liked 'TimeFrames' - a simple pun to describe the advancement of the comic, rather than 'Newpix' - a made up word (with an x in it for coolness) to fit the 'new religion'.

I'm almost positive the 'x' in "newpix" isn't an example of "poor literacy is kewl" but an example of abbreviation of "NEW PIXEL" Which derives from "PIcture ELement'

As to why they added an 'X' in the original abbreviation of picture element, I don't entirely know, as the 90's were when the substitution of 'X' for other letters became a 'cool' thing, and the word was coined in 1965, or approximately 48 years before the coining of the term "newpix." It is similar in etymology to the terms "voxel" and "texel," both of which are created using a copntraction of the word "element."


Well if they had left it a C as in Pic-El it would have been uncomfortably close to pickle.

arklan
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby arklan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:It's stick-figures in a black-and-white world. The level of detail you seem to demand is both impractical and unnecessary - how, exactly, they are getting the sand to stay is probably not important, though we won't know for sure until we have even more context.


You dare to suggest reasonability? Nonsense! I demand this thread contain more incoherence!


gobble-de-gook. flabin touring tarmac, under roses goes the hills.

User avatar
mojacardave
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:The thing is... even if the entire thing is auto-generated (with a more intricate script to account for the panning and such)... what does it change?


If the entire thing is auto-generated, it changes quite a few things significantly:

1) It's almost certainly going to continue infinitely. If there's no manual input involved at all, then the concept would work MUCH better if this comic had no resolution ever, and just continued for the rest of time (small t)

2) The actual plot has no deep personal significance to Randall. There may be a significance to the concept, but if the updates are random, then it's unlikely that there's a basis for the speculation about character interactions.

I still don't personally think it's automatically generated, even though that script is pretty impressive. I'm sure it could be done, but the design of the castles looks more planned than randomised. Also, if there was an automatic incremental image generator in place, it's highly unlikely we'd have been shown a future frame in advance by mistake.
Last edited by mojacardave on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

daef
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?


snow is white - see #702


sand is white - see #505

I see no compelling argument one way or the other. (though I am curious about the lack of buckets)


Touché and i love #505!

night815
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby night815 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Forgive me if this was already suggested.

My prediction is they are in a sandcastle competition and they keep looking out over the water at the other sandcastle(s) being built. Eventually, the frame will zoom out far enough that we will see the other sandcastle.

Wraithlord
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 am UTC
Location: In the shadow of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Suddenly, Tsunami!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests