1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dracomax

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:
Well if they had left it a C as in Pic-El it would have been uncomfortably close to pickle.

Which also makes it sound like a son of Krypton, and we all know there is only one of those left.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

I think this thread must have another record: most references to previous XKCD comics. Is anybody compiling a list?

The Biden sandwich comic has probably come up the most frequently, but I'd love to see a list of every comparison that's been drawn to past XKCD comics (I don't have the time or patience to do it myself though).

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Wraithlord wrote:Suddenly, Tsunami!

This theory again?
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:

This theory again?

Fine then. The castles are an analogy to babies. The flags are an analogy for cancer.

Prefer those?

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

Clearly the dude is about to finish up the part he's working on and go sit next to the girl. Or she's just taking a break and will get up again in a sec, but I guess the first one. I have no specific evidence of this, but I refuse to believe Monroe is stringing this all along just for a sad/depressing ending or meaning. That would be unnecessarily dickheaded, and that doesn't seem like the personality he exudes through his art.
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pha

Postby pha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:Damn it, now Megan really does look sad...

Maybe just dreamy, looking at the sea. Just as she was at the beginning of Time! :shock:

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:The thing is... even if the entire thing is auto-generated (with a more intricate script to account for the panning and such)... what does it change?

If the entire thing is auto-generated, it changes quite a few things significantly:

1) It's almost certainly going to continue infinitely. If there's no manual input involved at all, then the concept would work MUCH better if this comic had no resolution ever, and just continued for the rest of time (small t)

2) The actual plot has no deep personal significance to Randall. There may be a significance to the concept, but if the updates are random, then it's unlikely that there's a basis for the speculation about character interactions.

I still don't personally think it's automatically generated, even though that script is pretty impressive. I'm sure it could be done, but the design of the castles looks more planned than randomised. Also, if there was an automatic incremental image generator in place, it's highly unlikely we'd have been shown a future frame in advance by mistake.

Are we now debating whether the universe in which this comic is set is deterministic?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

shever

Postby shever » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?

snow is white - see #702

sand is white - see #505

I see no compelling argument one way or the other. (though I am curious about the lack of buckets)

Bucket(tm) is a registered trademark of Uncle Shever's Olde Time Bucket, Pail & Object Conveyance Company. Permission and licensing must be obtained in order to use the words bucket(tm), pail(tm), scuttle(tm) or the visual representation thereof. It's a bit like "Ogooglebar", the licensing terms are prohibitive.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:

This theory again?

Besides, Tsunamis do not tend to happen all that sudden.
Even with this frame rate (harrr) we would observe the falling water.

I agree with blowfishhootie - 3 newpix from now they are both sitting on the shore.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

This comic ends when Megan and Cueball are kicked out of Typhoon Lagoon for messing up the artificial beach.

shashwat986

Postby shashwat986 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
shashwat986 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
I think there is a point to this. The whole story of Time shows us the nature of the relationship of Cueball and Megan over time. I think the nature of that relationship has been hinted at in the past in various comics. I think if one were to go through the whole history of xkcd and find all the comics related to Cueball and Megan we might get some idea of where this is going.

You know, I think it's just Randall being Randall. There's no deep story. It's just an awesome idea he had. Possibly seeing a GIF and thinking, "You know what, let's slow this shit down!"

Yes but Randall can be deep about these kinds of relationships. Think about Two Years http://www.xkcd.com/1141/

In which case, we know it's meaningful from the start. Randall doesn't generally hid his intent. If there was a deeper meaning, we'd know by now before all but the most neurotic xkcders have left. I feel it's just his portrayal of Time, and its passing. I don't think it's anything deeper than exactly what we see it to be. And that's awesome in my eyes. the fact that he's breaking down an evening and the construction of sandcastles in frames of 30 minutes each is brilliant. The fact that this comic changes with time is awesome. The fact that so MANY people look back every half-hour, and have a structured debate for the rest of the time is what makes this comic epic in my eyes.
Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin -- Tim Vine

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Grepus wrote:

This theory again?

Fine then. The castles are an analogy to babies. The flags are an analogy for cancer.

Prefer those?

You forgot "the lack of buckets are an analogy for drawing new people to the forum in order to create the longest thread ever which is not a flame war. see, the fact they aren't there represents the lack of a link to the forum, but the fact they must have been used indicates the forum still exists."
“have i gone mad?

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

LordCathbad wrote:Fine then. The castles are an analogy to babies. The flags are an analogy for cancer.

So . . . they made one baby, then made a bunch more, and then decided to give them all cancer? Art is weird.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
riverssong wrote:The thing is... even if the entire thing is auto-generated (with a more intricate script to account for the panning and such)... what does it change?

If the entire thing is auto-generated, it changes quite a few things significantly:

1) It's almost certainly going to continue infinitely. If there's no manual input involved at all, then the concept would work MUCH better if this comic had no resolution ever, and just continued for the rest of time (small t)

2) The actual plot has no deep personal significance to Randall. There may be a significance to the concept, but if the updates are random, then it's unlikely that there's a basis for the speculation about character interactions.

I still don't personally think it's automatically generated, even though that script is pretty impressive. I'm sure it could be done, but the design of the castles looks more planned than randomised. Also, if there was an automatic incremental image generator in place, it's highly unlikely we'd have been shown a future frame in advance by mistake.

Not saying it is auto-generated, but the panel we saw earlier could have been a ruse to throw us off in thinking it was a script.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

Aiwendil wrote:
LordCathbad wrote:Fine then. The castles are an analogy to babies. The flags are an analogy for cancer.

So . . . they made one baby, then made a bunch more, and then decided to give them all cancer? Art is weird.

Well... yes.

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Call me old fashioned, but this thread would make a hell of good book.
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

TheRic wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

Not saying it is auto-generated, but the panel we saw earlier could have been a ruse to throw us off in thinking it was a script.

:shock: The sand is a lie! :shock:
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:Call me old fashioned, but this thread would make a hell of good book.

You're old fashioned.
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

TheRic wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

Or it is auto-generated, but the frames are generated well in advance of being displayed, and the selection algorithm went wrong. My theory wasn't watertight, but it's not the main reason that I think this is being planned out by Randall. It's a part of his comic (and it's a major one). I think he'd want this to play out according to his plan...

Also, the amount of work involved in writing artificial intelligence for two characters, allowing for sandcastle building, interaction with each other, and the landscape, and the water (not to mention random sandcastle collapse and repair, and accidental damage, and flags!) would be immense. Changing the comic manually wouldn't take long AT ALL - it's just a copy and paste job, and redrawing the location of a couple of stick people. Some of the frames are near identical!

That's why I think that an automatic generator would imply an infinite story - there'd be no point building the program for a finite sequence - even if you were drawing thousands of frames. It'd create more work than it saved.
Last edited by mojacardave on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:Call me old fashioned, but this thread would make a hell of good book.

It's spelled "hella" - it would make a "hella" good book.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

alcore wrote:Any chance somebody will post another updated GIF loop? (I keep missing important evolutions and I need to catch up/fill in!)

No, the gif are no more needed, you can see the up-to-date animation on

xkcd [dot] aubronwood [dot] com

(So that we stop posting gif pictures in this thread that will be outdated in less than 1NP...)
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:

snow is white - see #702

sand is white - see #505

I see no compelling argument one way or the other. (though I am curious about the lack of buckets)

Conclusion: they must be making coal dust castles. Only logical explanation.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:

snow is white - see #702

sand is white - see #505

Touché and i love #505!

#505 just rocks!!!
:P

swey

Postby swey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:

You're old fashioned.

I see what you did there
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
alcore wrote:Any chance somebody will post another updated GIF loop? (I keep missing important evolutions and I need to catch up/fill in!)

No, the gif are no more needed, you can see the up-to-date animation on

xkcd [dot] aubronwood [dot] com

(So that we stop posting gif pictures in this thread that will be outdated in less than 1NP...)

We haven't been posting gif pictures that become obsolete. Many many many NewPages ago, someone created an auto-updating gif.

Though, I do agree, http://xkcd.aubronwood.com is light-newpices better than any gif.

EDIT: fixed BBCode for url.

EDIT EDIT: added "EDIT" notes.
Last edited by macraw83 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

backwrds

Postby backwrds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
:shock: The sand is a lie! :shock:

Haha! Join me and follow the way of the snow.

For snow will melt and all will begin again!

(also yes, #505 rocks)

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:

snow is white - see #702

sand is white - see #505

Touché and i love #505!

#505 just rocks!!!

Are you saying they buil the castles out of rocks?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:

snow is white - see #702

sand is white - see #505

Conclusion: they must be making coal dust castles. Only logical explanation.

or small magnetic bits (possibly mass purchased buckyballs before they were discontinued?) those could be black.

of course, there is such a thing as black sand...
Spoiler:
“have i gone mad?

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:

It's spelled "hella" - it would make a "hella" good book.

Thanks for the correction.
After 3 reviews, a spelling check and a few google searches, I still managed to make a mistake...
*Starts sobbing*
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

0.1NP!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Last edited by mojacardave on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

benjaminswill

Postby benjaminswill » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Wait for it.
Last edited by benjaminswill on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

<snip to streamline the thread>

Randall listened... he's on his way to give Megan a cuddle!
Last edited by Grepus on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Hey, he made it over/around one castle without breaking anything!
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:

#505 just rocks!!!

No, sand and rocks, see the 4th frame.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Does this possibly signify completion? Are they going to just stare out over the ocean now?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Grepus wrote:<snip to streamline the thread>

Randall listened... he's on his way to give Megan a cuddle!

Here's hoping - that would give us some vital extra information about the nature of their relationship! Though, it's not Randall (not to our knowledge anyway). He's been designated Cueball - I think he was originally named by ExplainXKCD from a previous comic.

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:Haha! Join me and follow the way of the snow.

For snow will melt and all will begin again!

Are we witnessing the first Great Schism of the TimeWaiter religion? Or is Snowism just another heresy that Time will soon forget?

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:

snow is white - see #702

sand is white - see #505

Touché and i love #505!

#505 just rocks!!!

Are you saying they built the castles out of rocks?

Well .... they could simulate the building of the castles by using rocks.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:Does this possibly signify completion? Are they going to just stare out over the ocean now?

I forsee that he'll join her, they'll sit for a few frames, and then either leave off the left side or just keep sitting there.
But I hope they keep building :mrgreen:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”