1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

daef
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby daef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:
alcore wrote:Any chance somebody will post another updated GIF loop? (I keep missing important evolutions and I need to catch up/fill in!)

No, the gif are no more needed, you can see the up-to-date animation on

xkcd [dot] aubronwood [dot] com

(So that we stop posting gif pictures in this thread that will be outdated in less than 1NP...)


We haven't been posting gif pictures that become obsolete. Many many many NewPages ago, someone created an auto-updating gif.

Though, I do agree, http://xkcd.aubronwood.com is light-newpices better than any gif.

EDIT: fixed BBCode for url.

EDIT EDIT: added "EDIT" notes.


just for reference...: a light-newpix is 539626424400 meters...

User avatar
mojacardave
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:Does this possibly signify completion? Are they going to just stare out over the ocean now?


Completion has been predicted ad infinitum. Wait for it.

GerardE
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby GerardE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?


snow is white - see #702


sand is white - see #505

I see no compelling argument one way or the other. (though I am curious about the lack of buckets)


Touché and i love #505!

#505 just rocks!!!
:P

If the technology of #505 is in use here, that would explain the speed of Time :wink:
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

Srt252
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:16 pm UTC
Location: Houston

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Srt252 wrote:Does this possibly signify completion? Are they going to just stare out over the ocean now?

I forsee that he'll join her, they'll sit for a few frames, and then either leave off the left side or just keep sitting there.
But I hope they keep building :mrgreen:


Orrr he trips over Sandcastle Prime and knocks the whole thing down this time! And they rebuild and thus begins the cycle of clumsy destruction and reconstruction :)

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

GerardE wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?


snow is white - see #702


sand is white - see #505

I see no compelling argument one way or the other. (though I am curious about the lack of buckets)


Touché and i love #505!

#505 just rocks!!!
:P

If the technology of #505 is in use here, that would explain the speed of Time :wink:

Actually, that would make the speed of TIME way, way too fast. or the guy placing the rocks the Flash.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

...and yet another long-time reader/lurker who was finally drawn, nay compelled by this comic to create a user id just to leave my own brief, transient, and soon-to-be-swallowed message in the ever-growing and shifting sands of this thread...

And yes -- I read the rules AND all 83 pages of this uber-thread. Been following it since the very first frame of the comic, back when I wondered, "Huh.. kind of a weird comic... Wait for what?"

I love the detail and method that Randall's put into this one, just like the massive posters and the "Click and Drag" magnificence. I also really like that so much effort and input has been spent by y'all guys to discuss and follow a comic that is both present, future, and past all at once.

Well-player, Mister Randall. Well-played, indeed....

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2153
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
time-i-waited-for-it.jpg


I feel tempted.


Can I suggest a change to the wording? Please make it "I'm waiting for it" (And of course, no end date.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

backwrds
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby backwrds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Aiwendil wrote:
backwrds wrote:Haha! Join me and follow the way of the snow.

For snow will melt and all will begin again!


Are we witnessing the first Great Schism of the TimeWaiter religion? Or is Snowism just another heresy that Time will soon forget?


I will take this burden. I will be the Martin Luther of Snowism (Iceology?) against the indulgence of the Sand dynasty

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
time-i-waited-for-it.jpg


I feel tempted.


Can I suggest a change to the wording? Please make it "I'm waiting for it" (And of course, no end date.)

I feel like if there's going to be merch for this wonderful productivity killer, the image doesn't work too well on a shirt. Maybe magnets, or posters?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

belliott4488
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Know what would be cool? To write code to simulate the slow erosion of a sandcastle. You could take any black pixel within some frame of coordinates that is adjacent to a white pixel below it or to the side, and give it an erosion index, starting at 1 and decreasing in random steps toward zero with each simulation step. Below some threshold, the pixel turns white and the lowest white pixel below it in the same column turns black (to simulate sand falling and piling up).

There would have to be more to it - you'd have to be careful about only unsupported bits of sand being able to fall. But this doesn't seem so difficult.

And you could use it to generate a very long sequence of images until the castle had disintegrated entirely into a stable pile of sand.

Unless you also incorporated wind, in which case it would also be slowly blown away ...

User avatar
mojacardave
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
GerardE wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?


snow is white - see #702


sand is white - see #505

I see no compelling argument one way or the other. (though I am curious about the lack of buckets)


Touché and i love #505!

#505 just rocks!!!
:P

If the technology of #505 is in use here, that would explain the speed of Time :wink:

Actually, that would make the speed of TIME way, way too fast. or the guy placing the rocks the Flash.


Not necessarily. The 505 technique couldn't have been used to model a full beach with air and water and sand and human life in 30 minutes, but it COULD be used to designate black pixels (rock) or white pixels (no rock) in a grid. Given the pace of the transitions, I think 30 minutes is just about enough time to update the frames. The 'pan' would have been a bitch though, and frame 103 wouldn't have been much fun!
Last edited by mojacardave on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr Moriaty
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:05 am UTC
Location: A ship in the North Sea.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

It annoys me there is no flag on the far left turret... maybe he's going to get a flag.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Pelahnar
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Pelahnar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?


snow is white - see #702


sand is white - see #505

I see no compelling argument one way or the other. (though I am curious about the lack of buckets)


Touché and i love #505!

#505 just rocks!!!
:P


Are you saying they built the castles out of rocks?

Well .... they could simulate the building of the castles by using rocks.


Or you could consider sand to be very very small rocks, in which case - yes. They are building the castles out of rocks (and anyway, what do you think regular castles are made out of? Rocks!)
zk2556 wrote:Well, you see, the problem is that there hasn't been anything dramatic happen in the last 15 newpix or so. And we internet folk have short attention spans. So, we make a new religion.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:
Aiwendil wrote:
backwrds wrote:Haha! Join me and follow the way of the snow.

For snow will melt and all will begin again!


Are we witnessing the first Great Schism of the TimeWaiter religion? Or is Snowism just another heresy that Time will soon forget?


I will take this burden. I will be the Martin Luther of Snowism (Iceology?) against the indulgence of the Sand dynasty

No. Martin Luther would be more along the lines of saying, "Your selling of indulgences (i.e. the creations of gifs for those who are not devout enough to watch each and every update) is corrupt, and must stop. In addition, your constant references to the outside and snow castles are blasphemy, and I request that the church return to it's rue path"

and then nailing the list to the monitor.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
Bytes
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Bytes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

No Cueball! Don't run!
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
GerardE wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?


snow is white - see #702


sand is white - see #505

I see no compelling argument one way or the other. (though I am curious about the lack of buckets)


Touché and i love #505!

#505 just rocks!!!
:P

If the technology of #505 is in use here, that would explain the speed of Time :wink:

Actually, that would make the speed of TIME way, way too fast. or the guy placing the rocks the Flash.


Not necessarily. The 505 technique couldn't have been used to model a full beach with air and water and sand and human life in 30 minutes, but it COULD be used to designate black pixels (rock) or white pixels (no rock) in a grid. Given the pace of the transitions, I think 30 minutes is just about enough time to update the frames. The 'pan' would have been a bitch though, and frame 103 wouldn't have been much fun!

granted that it would take far less time to simulate the interactions of electrons, he would still have to model the entire universe in which the electrons exist, the interaction of those electrons with the construct known as "the internet" and the photonic illumination of every display device accessing the page. Setting up an individual subroutine for every update would take far more time. however, i will submit that I don't know how much extra time it would take, or how much time that would represent in the simulation. Perhaps it would be indistinguishable from instantaneous.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
Grepus
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Grepus wrote:<snip to streamline the thread>

Randall listened... he's on his way to give Megan a cuddle!


Here's hoping - that would give us some vital extra information about the nature of their relationship! Though, it's not Randall (not to our knowledge anyway). He's been designated Cueball - I think he was originally named by ExplainXKCD from a previous comic.


I meant he had listened and is moving Cueball towards Megan :)
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

lovepirate
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

It took me multiple newpix just to catch up on all the newpages of this thread. I feel like it was a punishment, and I just wonder what I'm having atone for. Sleep, I guess.
Wait for it.

User avatar
higgs-boson
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm UTC
Location: Europe (UTC + 4 newpix)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
SBN wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
time-i-waited-for-it.jpg

I feel tempted.

Can I suggest a change to the wording? Please make it "I'm waiting for it" (And of course, no end date.)

I feel like if there's going to be merch for this wonderful productivity killer, the image doesn't work too well on a shirt. Maybe magnets, or posters?

I will tinker a flip-book. Not for the sake of sale, but for sake of having fun tinkering a flip-book.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

User avatar
pdg
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Salem, Virginia
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pdg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
SBN wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
time-i-waited-for-it.jpg


I feel tempted.


Can I suggest a change to the wording? Please make it "I'm waiting for it" (And of course, no end date.)

I feel like if there's going to be merch for this wonderful productivity killer, the image doesn't work too well on a shirt. Maybe magnets, or posters?


T-shirts with an inlaid flexible e-ink display, showing the whole thing over and over and over?
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

Zindaras
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zindaras » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Maybe her wistfulness is because she's pregnant. With cancer.

In all seriousness, it looks like a hug is a good idea at this point. So they can go back to the important task of building a sandcastle.

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

if the rocks are small enough they are indistinguishable from sand.
1298 and counting

xspeedballx
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

Randall's next mega project:

Categorizing every response in this thread and providing an infographic! 5% of posts were people talking about how long it took to catch up, catching up, not catching up.

FayZee
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:35 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby FayZee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I feel like if there's going to be merch for this wonderful productivity killer, the image doesn't work too well on a shirt. Maybe magnets, or posters?


What if there were dozens of frames on the one shirt?

There could be one shirt per epoch/period with all the relevant frames.

My favourite (so far) would be 088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame*.

* Per the wiki at xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Periods

belliott4488
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

Pelahnar wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:
daef wrote:
backwrds wrote:IT'S SNOW!?


snow is white - see #702


sand is white - see #505

I see no compelling argument one way or the other. (though I am curious about the lack of buckets)


Touché and i love #505!

#505 just rocks!!!
:P


Are you saying they built the castles out of rocks?

Well .... they could simulate the building of the castles by using rocks.


Or you could consider sand to be very very small rocks, in which case - yes. They are building the castles out of rocks (and anyway, what do you think regular castles are made out of? Rocks!)

That's true ....

You rock!! :D

Lord Cathbad
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:13 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I feel like if there's going to be merch for this wonderful productivity killer, the image doesn't work too well on a shirt. Maybe magnets, or posters?


What if there were dozens of frames on the one shirt?

There could be one shirt per epoch/period with all the relevant frames.

My favourite (so far) would be 088 - 105 : the male period: with a climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame*.

* Per the wiki at xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Periods


What if there was a t-shirt for each frame? Then we would see each other in our heinous but necessary travels to the Outside and identify each other by frame number. And if you couldn't identify the number from plain sight, you would be cast as an Outsider.

User avatar
Grepus
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

kryton wrote:if the rocks are small enough they are indistinguishable from sand.


Agreed:

Image
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

I don't know when this will be displayed since I'm still waiting for my first post to be approved (it's now ~168 TF since the Start of Time by the way), anyway... assuming it will last for a sufficiently large amount of time, when will the number of Time Watchers (I'd have used Time Waiters, it sounds like people working in a restaurant named Time) become smaller than 10? Someone should try to measure the number of Watchers and extrapolate the distribution of them over time (lower-case time).

backwrds
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby backwrds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
backwrds wrote:
Aiwendil wrote:
backwrds wrote:Haha! Join me and follow the way of the snow.

For snow will melt and all will begin again!


Are we witnessing the first Great Schism of the TimeWaiter religion? Or is Snowism just another heresy that Time will soon forget?


I will take this burden. I will be the Martin Luther of Snowism (Iceology?) against the indulgence of the Sand dynasty

No. Martin Luther would be more along the lines of saying, "Your selling of indulgences (i.e. the creations of gifs for those who are not devout enough to watch each and every update) is corrupt, and must stop. In addition, your constant references to the outside and snow castles are blasphemy, and I request that the church return to it's rue path"

and then nailing the list to the monitor.



Oh no... I was in photoshop
Image

I guess I could be the Joseph Smith?? Clearly religious history isn't my strong suit.

User avatar
mojacardave
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Image

Here's hoping for hugs in the next frame! Given that he walked past her, it's looking less likely though. I think she actually looks a little cold, rather than depressed.
Last edited by mojacardave on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bytes
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Bytes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

On the T-shirt, the size of the frames could be related to how many posts were made about them, providing a homunculus type structure with more 'important' frames being given more prominence.
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

lovepirate
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Here's hoping for hugs in the next frame! Given that he walked past her, it's looking less likely though. I think she actually looks a little cold, rather than depressed.


If they hug I might actually burst into tears.
Wait for it.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

backwrds wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
backwrds wrote:
Aiwendil wrote:
backwrds wrote:Haha! Join me and follow the way of the snow.

For snow will melt and all will begin again!


Are we witnessing the first Great Schism of the TimeWaiter religion? Or is Snowism just another heresy that Time will soon forget?


I will take this burden. I will be the Martin Luther of Snowism (Iceology?) against the indulgence of the Sand dynasty

No. Martin Luther would be more along the lines of saying, "Your selling of indulgences (i.e. the creations of gifs for those who are not devout enough to watch each and every update) is corrupt, and must stop. In addition, your constant references to the outside and snow castles are blasphemy, and I request that the church return to it's rue path"

and then nailing the list to the monitor.



Oh no... I was in photoshop

I guess I could be the Joseph Smith?? Clearly religious history isn't my strong suit.

You're more like the galileo, suggesting possibilities which fit the known facts but go against the established theology of the religion.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

speising
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby speising » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

The end of the first recursion is nigh!
wait for it!

User avatar
Bytes
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Bytes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Here's hoping for hugs in the next frame! Given that he walked past her, it's looking less likely though. I think she actually looks a little cold, rather than depressed.


Don't give ammunition to the iceologists!
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2153
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Here's hoping for hugs in the next frame! Given that he walked past her, it's looking less likely though. I think she actually looks a little cold, rather than depressed.


She's been out in the snow for a really long time.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

NoEdge
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NoEdge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

I have officially given up on catching up. I can no longer say that I've read every post on this thread.
Can somebody give me a quick summary of the past 17 pages or so?

Also, a hug would be the best next scene ever.
bouer wrote:It's no wonder Mesopotamia and the Outside are destroyed. The inhabitants don't seem very smart; they had units to measure time before Time even existed.

PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

trusstopher
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby trusstopher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

Warning, Massive "getting-back-up-to-date" replies included below. And it only took 7 newpix (with a 2ish newpix break for a work meeting in the middle) to get caught up.

Spoiler:
plumander wrote: I doubt people in Jesus' day sat around talking about the intricacies of his miracles and the basis of his following while he was turning water into wine next door.


If it took him a 15 newpix to make it happen, they would have been…
Helper wrote:
squonk wrote:Anyone like to hazard a guess as to how many replies this topic will have one year from today? Closest guess without going over receives an autographed black pixel from this comic!

I'll say 18244.

I think the comic will go for at least a couple more centinewpix, and after that I think the discussion will slowly die down. My guess is 9337.


Ssoooooo, Over 9000?
patzer wrote:
patzer wrote:Does anyone else think the Age of the Slow Pixel and the Great Expansion should be merged into one period? they're both quite short and with no clear boundary between them.

In fact also, I think the debut or what period should be merged with the dark period. Also quite short with no clear boundary between them.

The fact that the history periods are organically evolving in this manner with respect to something that happened so recently, yet so long ago on the scale of newpix is somewhat mind-blowing to me how it mimics the concept of actual history. I.e. the 100 years was not actually one war that last 100 years, but a bunch of different wars that happened over a short amount of time. The farther it moves from the present, the more it’s clumped together. The same way World War 1 and World War 2 will more than likely be referred to as “The World Wars” in history books in the somewhat distant future.

Demki wrote:Am I the only one who was thinking it will end with Neil Patrick Harris' face and a text bubble saying '-dary! True story.'?

That or a picture of Rick Astley … longest Rick Roll of all time.

trusstopher wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
trusstopher wrote:Just got to work and see that pages 57-83 have been created since I departed.... I may have to active "Simmer Mode" for this one.

I have that problem. I missed about 26np (26 Timeframes) worth of posts. I understand that I should do due (hehe) diligence and read the older posts, but my take on it is that the past is the past. I'm trudging on on to the future!

Either way, it's about Time....
(I wonder if that joke has been repeated in the last 10-15 pages and/or newpix.... crap, I guess I really do have to go back and read it all)

Wow, here I am catching back up to myself 7 newpix later (don’t tell anyone, but I didn’t actually read any post that was more than 4 lines long). And still 5 newpages to go.


As for new thoughts: I would find it really interesting to see a full frame 30 fps animation of this entire experience once it is completed. To see the context of what actually happens between each newpix and how much time actually passes from any one to the next and how far off (or dead on) most predictions and interpretations are. I realize that this kind of takes away the "artistic" approach and "eye of the beholder" and everything, but I still think it would be interesting.
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

User avatar
AussieJono
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AussieJono » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

This is the third time they've both been looking out over the [unidentified body of water]. They started that way, and then there were a couple of frames of it before Megan left. I'm probably reading too much into it, but these moments always seem to occur when there isn't an obvious castle related route by which to proceed, and then BANG new revelation, so I'm hoping for something interesting within the next few newpices.
<pretentious quote> </pretentious quote>

Srt252
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:16 pm UTC
Location: Houston

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

This is another very suspenseful interpix. An new period may be dawning! Or the entire thing could be ending!


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests