1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Racerdude09

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Racerdude09 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

robxlii wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:This is probably either reaching the end, nearing another zoomout, or both.

Or this is one slow reveal, culminating in...something?...on April 1. As has been mentioned previously.

How can we be so sure it will be the 1st? Why not the 3rd? Would that not be a much better April Fools joke?? WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST APRIL?!?! Okay, time to stop hyperventilating...

Postby *** » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.

To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.
Belief and Seeing: They're both often Wrong.

platypusloins

Postby platypusloins » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Zindaras wrote:I think they're drowning and that this was just a very roundabout way to make a point about not going swimming in isolated places where nobody can hear you scream (like space).

There go my plans for space swimming...

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Godsguy wrote:
Foarm wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:So. It has come to this.

Yes it has...

I have come from 1982 to say this - "Doesn't it always come to this?"

Isn't history as much about tearing things down as it is about building things up?

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

swey wrote:I really hope there is some sort of 'the end' page at the end, otherwise, how will we know when its over or if theyre just doing something off frame?

Did we see the frame yet that was accidentally(?) shown before its time? That may be The End.
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.

I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.
Last edited by peewee_RotA on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Phaelin

Postby Phaelin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

GerardE wrote:
swey wrote:I really hope there is some sort of 'the end' page at the end, otherwise, how will we know when its over or if theyre just doing something off frame?

Did we see the frame yet that was accidentally(?) shown before its time? That may be The End.

It was part of the Slow Left Pan, so no, that was definitely not the end.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:This is probably either reaching the end, nearing another zoomout, or both.

Or they're just swimming for a while and will return to work on the castle some more ...

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
dp2 wrote:Wanting to swim does not mean they're on a beach. I'm in an office building with no water in sight, and it's 45° outside, but I still want to swim.

I'm going to point out why this is an invalid argument, even though it is clear as day that they are on a beach and that people who insist otherwise are just being needlessly argumentative.

It's not just wanting to swim, but someone else asking you. You are in an office, so if another person came and asked you if you want to go for a swim, as happened in the comic, would make no sense whatsoever.

It has nothing to do with being arguementative and more to do with challenging assumptions. This is a thread full of them many of them shattered as quick as they appeared. We have limited information due to the medium and the presentation. It is true it is clear that they are near a body of liquid. Your analysis of dialog with context is correct, but not much else can really be assumed.

They are on a beach. That is one of the very, very few facts that is actually apparent just from looking at the frame. Yes, there have been countless dumb-as-hell assumptions put forth. That building sand castles and swimming means they are on a beach is not one of those dumb-as-hell assumptions. Lumping that inference in the same category as "they must be pregnant and have had a miscarriage!" or whichever of the actually absurd assumptions you have in mind is yet another dumb-as-hell assumption.

Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.

Woah there, because I want to avoid assumptions does not make giving credence to any other assumption. Quite that opposite actually. I do not disagree that the large set of information points to beach. Just want to point out though that just because it is the most likely answer doesn't mean curve balls can't be thrown easily. XKCD has never been above challenging your assumptions of what the stick figures represent.

@maniexx

Postby @maniexx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

I don't live near an ocean or a sea, but would we really see tides over a couple hour period?
Because that's how long I assume must've passed in the comic-verse
‮2‮0‮0‮1‮/‮m‮o‮c‮.‮d‮c‮k‮x

Godsguy

Postby Godsguy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:

Or they're just swimming for a while and will return to work on the castle some more ...

Or chased out of the water by flying cuttlefish?
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats - Ken Grahame (Wind in the Willows)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

And I have my sig! (Now to figure out how to do it.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

robxlii

Postby robxlii » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:

Yeah. All of this is just Foreplay. It's gonna be a Long Time before we know anything for certain.
"My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that they are right." - Ashleigh Brilliant

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

I will accept any wager with a person who wants to argue that they are NOT swimming in water and the castles are NOT made of sand. Ignoring the few things we actually know just to spite the people who have thrown actual off-the-wall, unsubstantiated stuff out there is a stupid strategy.

Racerdude09

Postby Racerdude09 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

GerardE wrote:

That was frame 143, and 172 is currently showing.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

@maniexx wrote:I don't live near an ocean or a sea, but would we really see tides over a couple hour period?
Because that's how long I assume must've passed in the comic-verse

This could be a lake or other small, isolated body of water.
Could be a wave pool, for all we know.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:

Well done.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:

and now it's stuck in my head. curse you! at least I can go get coffee...for the next 11 minutes...
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

Psycix

Postby Psycix » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

So is this the age of coffee and snowcastles?

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:

Yeah. All of this is just Foreplay. It's gonna be a Long Time before we know anything for certain.

Them maybe it's time to stop checking. I don't need Amanda display a bunch of single frame animations slowly and string me along for days.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Is this the part where the raptors come and destroy the castle?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:

Them maybe it's time to stop checking. I don't need Amanda display a bunch of single frame animations slowly and string me along for days.

If it would just end already I might get some Peace of Mind.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
dp2 wrote:Wanting to swim does not mean they're on a beach. I'm in an office building with no water in sight, and it's 45° outside, but I still want to swim.

I'm going to point out why this is an invalid argument, even though it is clear as day that they are on a beach and that people who insist otherwise are just being needlessly argumentative.

It's not just wanting to swim, but someone else asking you. You are in an office, so if another person came and asked you if you want to go for a swim, as happened in the comic, would make no sense whatsoever.

It has nothing to do with being arguementative and more to do with challenging assumptions. This is a thread full of them many of them shattered as quick as they appeared. We have limited information due to the medium and the presentation. It is true it is clear that they are near a body of liquid. Your analysis of dialog with context is correct, but not much else can really be assumed.

They are on a beach. That is one of the very, very few facts that is actually apparent just from looking at the frame. Yes, there have been countless dumb-as-hell assumptions put forth. That building sand castles and swimming means they are on a beach is not one of those dumb-as-hell assumptions. Lumping that inference in the same category as "they must be pregnant and have had a miscarriage!" or whichever of the actually absurd assumptions you have in mind is yet another dumb-as-hell assumption.

Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.

Woah there, because I want to avoid assumptions does not make giving credence to any other assumption. Quite that opposite actually. I do not disagree that the large set of information points to beach. Just want to point out though that just because it is the most likely answer doesn't mean curve balls can't be thrown easily. XKCD has never been above challenging your assumptions of what the stick figures represent.

Thanks for backing me up.

I honestly thought from frame one that they are on a beach. I'm just making the point that it is an assumption, just like assuming the character with hair is female and the bald one male.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Is this the part where the raptors come and destroy the castle?

I was actually going to point out the absence of raptors. I'm sure they will come, but not just yet.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:

I honestly thought from frame one that they are on a beach. I'm just making the point that it is an assumption, just like assuming the character with hair is female and the bald one male.

I agree. I didn't point out that it could be coffee because I believe it is coffee. I've actually avoided seriously speculating at all and have been content simply to watch. I was also just making the point that it's an assumption they're at the beach. Even though that's what I believe.
Wait for it.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:

If it does, Don't Look Back.

SilverTree

Postby SilverTree » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

Occam's Razor for me: no coffee lake, no snow, just a beach and a (awesome) sand castle.

pdg

Postby pdg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.

For some unknown reason reading this gave me an uncontrollable giggle fit for a minute or two. I think my head may be coming undone.
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

spdz

Postby spdz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

Oops
Last edited by spdz on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

htom

Postby htom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

Ignoring the castle et all, we were on forum page 68 when I was here last, now it's page 94. This is the part where I scream.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

Godsguy wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:

Or chased out of the water by flying cuttlefish?

Or James Carville on a burning alligator?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Srt252 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:

If it does, Don't Look Back.

I just don't know if We're Ready, after it's over we might not be Feelin' Satisfied

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

lovepirate wrote:
dp2 wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:

I agree. I didn't point out that it could be coffee because I believe it is coffee. I've actually avoided seriously speculating at all and have been content simply to watch. I was also just making the point that it's an assumption they're at the beach. Even though that's what I believe.
Wait for it.

Whereas I've avoided making any kind of reasonable or likely assumptions. Which is why I'm speculating that it's lava, and they just comitted suicide.
Or it's ice cream, and they are having the best day ever.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Out of interest, to the people who saw the flag glitch, which part of the sequence was revealed ahead of time?

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Ayriannah wrote:
belliott4488 wrote:Know what would be cool? To write code to simulate the slow erosion of a sandcastle. You could take any black pixel within some frame of coordinates that is adjacent to a white pixel below it or to the side, and give it an erosion index, starting at 1 and decreasing in random steps toward zero with each simulation step. Below some threshold, the pixel turns white and the lowest white pixel below it in the same column turns black (to simulate sand falling and piling up).

There would have to be more to it - you'd have to be careful about only unsupported bits of sand being able to fall. But this doesn't seem so difficult.

And you could use it to generate a very long sequence of images until the castle had disintegrated entirely into a stable pile of sand.

Unless you also incorporated wind, in which case it would also be slowly blown away ...

something like the game Sugar, Sugar?

Well that's an hour I'll never get back. Interestingly frustrating though...

What about Dust 2?
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

htom wrote:Ignoring the castle et all, we were on forum page 68 when I was here last, now it's page 94. This is the part where I scream.

Fortunately any Important info you may have missed is here:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:I will accept any wager with a person who wants to argue that they are NOT swimming in water and the castles are NOT made of sand. Ignoring the few things we actually know just to spite the people who have thrown actual off-the-wall, unsubstantiated stuff out there is a stupid strategy.

I don't know you from boo, but you seem to be getting a bit emotional over this. Belligerent even. You want to gamble on the safe bet. Sounds good. I prefer to keep my thoughts open and let the story tell me what happens. You keep making assumptions(there is that word again) that I am holding my line of thought because I am either acting in defense or in spite of crazy theories. Why do I voice my preferences openly? Because I find it an interesting way to approach this, and maybe others do to? Why assume the liquid is water? Why assume the land is sand? Why assume the setting is earth? Not to say it isn't, but let the story tell me. Maybe it is just a less obsessive approach.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

The hash changed, which is promising, but I didn't notice any changes in the image.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Just a little bit of erosion on the leftmost tower.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

So perhaps whilst they are swimming the castle erodes away entirely? Hmmm

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”