1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

embracethehate

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby embracethehate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:The hash changed, which is promising, but I didn't notice any changes in the image.

The water (or "liquid") seems slightly disturbed, I think? Or maybe I'm just hopeful.

Godsguy

Postby Godsguy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Ripples on the far right
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats - Ken Grahame (Wind in the Willows)

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Just a little bit of erosion on the leftmost tower.

Oh yes, observant.

Wild mass guessing, begin:

I think that we're going to have a while of gentle erosion, because, for the entire reveal of the second castle, up to this point, no part of the sandcastle has collapsed. I think the start of a collapse now is because we're not going to see people for a while, so Randall needs something to happen in the new frames.

Nerd Mike

Postby Nerd Mike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:I will accept any wager with a person who wants to argue that they are NOT swimming in water and the castles are NOT made of sand. Ignoring the few things we actually know just to spite the people who have thrown actual off-the-wall, unsubstantiated stuff out there is a stupid strategy.

I don't know you from boo, but you seem to be getting a bit emotional over this. Belligerent even. You want to gamble on the safe bet. Sounds good. I prefer to keep my thoughts open and let the story tell me what happens. You keep making assumptions(there is that word again) that I am holding my line of thought because I am either acting in defense or in spite of crazy theories. Why do I voice my preferences openly? Because I find it an interesting way to approach this, and maybe others do to? Why assume the liquid is water? Why assume the land is sand? Why assume the setting is earth? Not to say it isn't, but let the story tell me. Maybe it is just a less obsessive approach.

Yeah, it's the belligerence I didn't get. Especially considering all of the crazy theories that have been floated to this point.
Wait for it.

Flipperling

Postby Flipperling » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Ever since he stuck his foot in the water, I've been hoping for more ripples. Yay!

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Srt252 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.

To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.

I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.

Yeah. All of this is just Foreplay. It's gonna be a Long Time before we know anything for certain.

Them maybe it's time to stop checking. I don't need Amanda display a bunch of single frame animations slowly and string me along for days.

If it would just end already I might get some Peace of Mind.

If it does, Don't Look Back.

I just don't know if We're Ready, after it's over we might not be Feelin' Satisfied

Don't worry, We Can Make It.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Do you think that if anyone started reading the thread all the way through right now, if the posting count continued as it is, would that hypothetical person be able to reach the end? Ever?

Edit. Actually, this reminds me a bit of when I started to read XKCD itself. I started roughly at the beginning of last year, with two tabs open. One with the current pigeoncomic open and on going progressively backwards. At one point I though I had better read it from the start, then I had three XKCD tabs open. With this thread, I've got one I'm trying to read through, while comment, but then I'm reading at the point my comment is posted, which is pages after where I was to begin with!! (I've got 4 tabs of this one thread open right now, and I very confused...)
Last edited by zaphodbeebledoc on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Or, "Have you ever experienced a perfect moment in time? When time seemed to stop and you could almost live in that moment."
Wait for it.

Tass

Postby Tass » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

@maniexx wrote:I don't live near an ocean or a sea, but would we really see tides over a couple hour period?
Because that's how long I assume must've passed in the comic-verse

Yes. The period of the tides are twelve hours (two periods per day). That means they go from minimum to maximum in six hours.

People are analyzing single pixels. We would have seen it.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Those flagpoles look like little stick figures wearing capes. Maybe they're in fact statues? Cory Doctorow? Entomology-Man?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Changed pixels are marked in red:

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

kaiken1987

Postby kaiken1987 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Damn erosion that kills my pile of legos around a pool idea.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

I think you just summarized this comic. Congratulations, sir.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

nickulo

Postby nickulo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

So they'll come back, fix it, Cueball knocks off some more sand, fix that, swim to wash off the sand, more erosion... why are we watching this again? Oh right. Wait for it.

Phaelin

Postby Phaelin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

No one has gone on the "Swimming is a euphemism for naughty-business" trip yet, I am very shocked!

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Phaelin wrote:No one has gone on the "Swimming is a euphemism for naughty-business" trip yet, I am very shocked!

I mentioned that, but people chose to focus on the "it's possibly a coffee lake" part of my comment.
Wait for it.
Last edited by lovepirate on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

lovepirate wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:I will accept any wager with a person who wants to argue that they are NOT swimming in water and the castles are NOT made of sand. Ignoring the few things we actually know just to spite the people who have thrown actual off-the-wall, unsubstantiated stuff out there is a stupid strategy.

I don't know you from boo, but you seem to be getting a bit emotional over this. Belligerent even. You want to gamble on the safe bet. Sounds good. I prefer to keep my thoughts open and let the story tell me what happens. You keep making assumptions(there is that word again) that I am holding my line of thought because I am either acting in defense or in spite of crazy theories. Why do I voice my preferences openly? Because I find it an interesting way to approach this, and maybe others do to? Why assume the liquid is water? Why assume the land is sand? Why assume the setting is earth? Not to say it isn't, but let the story tell me. Maybe it is just a less obsessive approach.

Yeah, it's the belligerence I didn't get. Especially considering all of the crazy theories that have been floated to this point.
Wait for it.

No I'm sort of with blowfishhootie. There are plenty of mysteries in this comic. Making new ones which don't exist is quite frustrating.

Maybe the setting isn't "a beach on Earth", but there's NOTHING to suggest that yet. Assuming otherwise is "hearing hoofbeats and predicting zebras".

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

zaphodbeebledoc wrote:Do you think that if anyone started reading the thread all the way through right now, if the posting count continued as it is, would that hypothetical person be able to reach the end? Ever?

Sounds like a candidate for the next What-If? haha

astrotter

Postby astrotter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

OK, the prior on the variance of the height of the horizontal surface just got broader. I back away from my pavement theory in light of ~1 pixel ripples that have appeared, most likely due to out-of-frame frolicking in liquid. It could be a very large ball pit basin, filled with ~1 cm diameter balls. But that would be something one would more likely frolic on, not in. Unless you wanted to...die...
Oh me yarm, hey guys! Maybe this is all some kind of metaphor for mortality! Any of y'all thought of that? :P

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
lovepirate wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:

Wait for it.

No I'm sort of with blowfishhootie. There are plenty of mysteries in this comic. Making new ones which don't exist is quite frustrating.

Maybe the setting isn't "a beach on Earth", but there's NOTHING to suggest that yet. Assuming otherwise is "hearing hoofbeats and predicting zebras".

I'm not predicting anything, merely keeping all options open. I have no need or reason to do otherwise. Just because zebras are unlikely doesn't mean the hoofbeats aren't from zebras. But I'm not saying they're zebras either, I'm content merely to wait for it and see.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:OK, the prior on the variance of the height of the horizontal surface just got broader. I back away from my pavement theory in light of ~1 pixel ripples that have appeared, most likely due to out-of-frame frolicking in liquid. It could be a very large ball pit basin, filled with ~1 cm diameter balls. But that would be something one would more likely frolic on, not in. Unless you wanted to...die...
Gee Willikers, hey guys! Maybe this is all some kind of metaphor for mortality! Any of y'all thought of that? :P

All that and baby cancer.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

Is it my imagination or is it panning again?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:Do you think that if anyone started reading the thread all the way through right now, if the posting count continued as it is, would that hypothetical person be able to reach the end? Ever?

I think it's doable. I mean, we've been able to catch up so far after we've gone to sleep. Some people give up because they're impatient to get to the current page, but the rate of reading is faster than the rate of posting.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

It's amazing, kinda cool, and yet slightly disturbing how much of my own time I've devoted to this comic, waiting for pixilated stick-figures to slowly build a sand castle. It was even enough to turn me from stealthy lurker into registered poster, which has led me to soaking even MORE of my time into this.

I need to get some of my own fresh air this weekend, I think...

But it is still very cool how this comic warps time --

It's in the present -- we watch and wait for each new updated image and absorb and dissect it.

It's in the past -- this 'was' the comic from last Monday, superceded by yesterday's "newer" one.

It's in the future -- it's still unravelling and we keep speculating about what's going to happen.

Yep. Very cool...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Honestly, the lake/ocean/sea/puddle can be whatever the heck you want it to be, right? It's not like Randall's gonna come knocking on your front door to correct you.

It's obviously jello anyway.

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Srt252 wrote:

I think it's doable. I mean, we've been able to catch up so far after we've gone to sleep. Some people give up because they're impatient to get to the current page, but the rate of reading is faster than the rate of posting.

... for now. Perhaps a bit too much of my mornings consist of catching up on this thread :wink:

pdg

Postby pdg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Day 4

I have been obsessed with this slowly-changing comic now for what seems to be forever. My life before "Time" is a hazy and distant memory. Postulations that the water may in fact be ice, or pavement, a non-newtonian liquid, or coffee surrounded by snow, or lava, or jello, or a ball pit, no longer seem outlandish to me. Somehow finding a way to incorporate a slow-but-ever-changing scene onto items of apparel prompts me to look for ways to make it possible, rather than scoffing at such impossibilities.

Frankly, I fear for my sanity at this point, but I cannot tear myself away from it either.
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Is it my imagination or is it panning again?

The former. All changed pixels are marked in the image a few posts up.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Srt252 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.

To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.

I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.

Yeah. All of this is just Foreplay. It's gonna be a Long Time before we know anything for certain.

Them maybe it's time to stop checking. I don't need Amanda display a bunch of single frame animations slowly and string me along for days.

If it would just end already I might get some Peace of Mind.

If it does, Don't Look Back.

I just don't know if We're Ready, after it's over we might not be Feelin' Satisfied

I think they ran out of hits. Maybe we should focus on a different Rock and Roll Band
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

embracethehate wrote:Honestly, the lake/ocean/sea/puddle can be whatever the heck you want it to be, right? It's not like Randall's gonna come knocking on your front door to correct you.

... But what if he does?

astrotter

Postby astrotter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
astrotter wrote:OK, the prior on the variance of the height of the horizontal surface just got broader. I back away from my pavement theory in light of ~1 pixel ripples that have appeared, most likely due to out-of-frame frolicking in liquid. It could be a very large ball pit basin, filled with ~1 cm diameter balls. But that would be something one would more likely frolic on, not in. Unless you wanted to...die...
Gee Willikers, hey guys! Maybe this is all some kind of metaphor for mortality! Any of y'all thought of that? :P

All that and baby cancer.

Now that would be going too far. Puppy cancer, maybe, but not that.

loquinmalie

Postby loquinmalie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

My thought is that it's a lake with a large beach or maybe a lagoon, but not the typical coastal beach. There really isn't enough water movement - the ocean has waves, not just tides.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

embracethehate wrote:It's not like Randall's gonna come knocking on your front door to correct you.

Though it'd be cool of him to. I'd like to meet 'em.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

embracethehate wrote:Honestly, the lake/ocean/sea/puddle can be whatever the heck you want it to be, right? It's not like Randall's gonna come knocking on your front door to correct you.

death of the author says that even if he did, you wouldn't have to accept it.
also, the swimming in the water is symbolic of the fact that the pregnancy the comic announced happened five years ago and it's the fifth birthday of the stickpeople's child.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

nccknight

Postby nccknight » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Been lurking since Monday and wanted to post before this thread reached 100 pages. Done.

Scott Auld

Postby Scott Auld » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Castle fell down on the left side while they were swimming.

Arther

Postby Arther » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

We're definitely not panning, although there does seem of be some decay on the far left of the panel.

EDIT: beaten by one post there... There was a also a few pixels of charge between frames 124 and 125 too, then one blank repeat (no changes), then we started zooming.
Last edited by Arther on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fixer

Postby fixer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Srt252 wrote:

Only if you haven't got anything else to do today. I had to give up and skip as I cannot miss my doctor's appointment at 3:45.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

9hili9

Postby 9hili9 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

I apologize if this has been suggested previously. If so, I missed it.

Sea; bay; lake; pond; river ...

Could it be that they are now swimming in the moat of a castle that they have just re-created in miniature?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”