1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

peewee_RotA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Scott Auld wrote:Castle fell down on the left side while they were swimming.

Two theories confirmed:

The castle has started to deteriorate.
Megan is a better sandcastle builder.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

fixer wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:
Srt252 wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:Do you think that if anyone started reading the thread all the way through right now, if the posting count continued as it is, would that hypothetical person be able to reach the end? Ever?

Sounds like a candidate for the next What-If? haha

I think it's doable. I mean, we've been able to catch up so far after we've gone to sleep. Some people give up because they're impatient to get to the current page, but the rate of reading is faster than the rate of posting.

Only if you haven't got anything else to do today. I had to give up and skip as I cannot miss my doctor's appointment at 3:45.

Well, other things to do is an externality. It's your fault, not your reading speed nor the thread's posting rate.

robxlii

Postby robxlii » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

Either they're underwater, or else someone farted, because I'm seeing bubbles come to the surface of the...water/coffee/oobleck.
"My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that they are right." - Ashleigh Brilliant

astrotter

Postby astrotter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

Anyhow, dreadful scenarios aside, I think that satisfies my quota, and I can post an actual link I wanted to yesterday. Was listening to NPR while reading this thread, when this came on: Adam Frank, "How to See the World in a Grain of Sand"
http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2013/03/27/174647716/how-to-see-the-world-in-a-grain-of-sand

It felt pretty cosmic at the time.

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

Arther wrote:We're definitely not panning, although there does seem of be some decay on the far left of the panel.

I'm guessing we're going to watch time decay Time back to the opening scene, which would leave for an infinite loop, possibly.
Mgraba wrote:He who watches Time already waits for it.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

Arther

Postby Arther » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

inhalvast wrote:
Arther wrote:We're definitely not panning, although there does seem of be some decay on the far left of the panel.

I'm guessing we're going to watch time decay Time back to the opening scene, which would leave for an infinite loop, possibly.

I don't think we can have a infinite loop without Megan and Cue walking back, but it's certainly possible that they'll just walk past as it decays.

SilverTree

Postby SilverTree » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

There are a couple of songs related to Time around this thread, and I suddenly remembered this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nTjn1yJp0w

I think the lyrics are quite appropriate:

"We used to wait
We used to wait
We used to wait
Sometimes it never came"

(Sorry if someone already said it, but there are currently almost 100 pages of discussion, it's easy to lose track.)

Nerd Mike

Postby Nerd Mike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

I think you just summarized this comic. Congratulations, sir.

Thanks. I personally would be very satisfied if it turns out that that's what this comic is all about--savoring the time we have. It seems to me the sort of statement Randall might make, and it's fairly consistent with what we've seen of the animation so far. But that's true of a hundred other endings as well. Right or wrong, I don't really care, as long as I keep being entertained. And so far, this has been three solid days of (slightly maddening) entertainment.

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Arther wrote:
inhalvast wrote:

I don't think we can have a infinite loop without Megan and Cue walking back, but it's certainly possible that they'll just walk past as it decays.

Big wave: castle complex gone, Megan and Cue back on the beach?
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Why should the possibility that the comic takes place in a beach near water be more probable that anything else? I mean, all we see are black pixels and white pixels on a screen.
For what we can see there is only one "object" since we see no distinction nor separation between the "beach" and the "water".
The fun part of Randall's drawing style is that its so simplified that a drawing could represent anything.
We assume that Cueball is a male and Megan is a female, but nothing in Time suggests it.
This comic is clearly made to be speculated upon, so why should we make any assumption?
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

I had a theory when swimming was suggested, that we might follow them across the lake(?) to the opposite bank, and the entire sequence might play out in mirrored form. But if that was going to happen, I think we'd have panned with them.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

EDIT: Doublepost - sorry!
Last edited by mojacardave on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

Finally caught up the thread. Took 5.5 newpix.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:Why should the possibility that the comic takes place in a beach near water be more probable that anything else? I mean, all we see are black pixels and white pixels on a screen.
For what we can see there is only one "object" since we see no distinction nor separation between the "beach" and the "water".
The fun part of Randall's drawing style is that its so simplified that a drawing could represent anything.
We assume that Cueball is a male and Megan is a female, but nothing in Time suggests it.
This comic is clearly made to be speculated upon, so why should we make any assumption?

Just gonna sit in a corner and re-evaluate my entire existence now...

Arther

Postby Arther » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

GerardE wrote:
Arther wrote:
inhalvast wrote:

Big wave: castle complex gone, Megan and Cue back on the beach?

Could be, but I don't see it. A big event like that would be too sudden for a slow and gentle comic like this, but not poignant enough to be the point of the whole thing. I don't see how anyway, I'm no philosopher.

shadowjester

Postby shadowjester » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

I feel we need to declare Big Wave thought blasphemy and the Big Wave Waiters heretics, as it would be the end of all things holy.
I am a Sandist TimeWaiter. I wait for it.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Just some ripples, no more decay.
Changed pixels in red:

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

embracethehate wrote:Honestly, the lake/ocean/sea/puddle can be whatever the heck you want it to be, right? It's not like Randall's gonna come knocking on your front door to correct you.

It's obviously jello anyway.

They're on a terraformed Mars, which is why they don't have spacesuits on. :wink:
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Just some ripples, no more decay.
Changed pixels in red:

Thanks! This is very helpful!
Wait for it.

Narlaquin

Postby Narlaquin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

Hey! The animated GIF has just sped up! I giggled

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

It was oobleck! They obviously got no further than a few yards off the beach, sank and now we are seeing the last bubbles of air escaping from their lungs.
Last edited by Kieryn on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

I clearly haven't read the whole thread but I have been lurking from time to time, and I am amazed of how the discourse has evolved from speculation about the meaning of it all to analyzing the script to wild ideas about what does it all mean and how people has been trapped in to checking every half hour, I am going from long periods of not caring about the comic (because life and stuff) and small burst of reading everything I can about it. it feels weird, I don't want it to end ever, fore some reason this comic makes me feel sad, may be because deep down i know it has to end.
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

I'm just waiting for the sudden spontaneous frame where a half-dozen raptors appear, trouncing over the castle, right before getting hit by a meteor.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Nerd Mike wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

I think you just summarized this comic. Congratulations, sir.

Thanks. I personally would be very satisfied if it turns out that that's what this comic is all about--savoring the time we have. It seems to me the sort of statement Randall might make, and it's fairly consistent with what we've seen of the animation so far. But that's true of a hundred other endings as well. Right or wrong, I don't really care, as long as I keep being entertained. And so far, this has been three solid days of (slightly maddening) entertainment.

It's probably at least part of the message (either the actual one, or the one we've given to it). Building a sandcastle on the beach with someone can be a wonderful experience, and here we see it stretched out into a span of over three days.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:It was ooblik! They obviously got no further than a few yards off the beach, sank and now we are seeing the last bubbles of air escaping from their lungs.

What a terrible thing to say. I mean, for all we know, it could have been milk they drowned in.

Also, it's spelled with an 'e' and 'c'. Oobleck
Last edited by free-bee on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Scott Auld

Postby Scott Auld » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

That Mezzotint story is great. Thanks to whoever posted it; I'm not going to go look for it again :D

Aenea

Postby Aenea » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

The lack of flag waving bothered me, but I guess there haven't been any waves either, so it's just a really still day at the "beach"

And I still can't shake the feeling that there will be a big reveal on April 1st and everything we know will be a lie. The point has been made that everything is 2-D and silhouetted so it could be snow and coffee (which incidentally is what I've been living on for the last 4 months :roll: ), but what if it's the silhouette of something completely different? Legos? A real castle? Even though it would be uncharacteristic of Randall, I wish we would get a suddenly detailed/colored/3-D view showing that it's something other than sand at the end.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:
Kieryn wrote:It was ooblik! They obviously got no further than a few yards off the beach, sank and now we are seeing the last bubbles of air escaping from their lungs.

What a terrible thing to say. I mean, for all we know, it could have been milk they drowned in.

Also, it's spelled with an 'e' and 'c'. Oobleck

Thanks, I corrected the spelling in my OP. Would they not have swum further in milk? OTOH maybe it was ice, and was too thin?
Image- Kieryn

Aenea

Postby Aenea » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve said: I'm just waiting for the sudden spontaneous frame where a half-dozen raptors appear, trouncing over the castle, right before getting hit by a meteor.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention compies on the beach yet. Maybe I missed it.

Wait for it.

aslowhite

Postby aslowhite » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Here's the deal: Have you ever spent an entire afternoon just lazing aimlessly on a beach (whether made of sand or snow or coffee), building a sand castle, standing and looking at the sea, sitting down, standing up, sitting down again...? The point is that time is subjective, as well as elastic. It expands and contracts according to our experience. An afternoon can last an entire week, or longer. OTOH a week-long vacation can speed by in, like, 70 seconds.

Wait for it...

Mindor

Postby Mindor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Scott Auld wrote:Castle fell down on the left side while they were swimming.

Two theories confirmed:

The castle has started to deteriorate.
Megan is a better sandcastle builder.

Cueball also exited stage left for a while, He could have been responsible for any amount of the castle that was built off screen.

Kieryn wrote:It was oobleck! They obviously got no further than a few yards off the beach, sank and now we are seeing the last bubbles of air escaping from their lungs.

also they are swimming/drowning in mercury.

my prediction...
They will come back out of the liquid, but be sized to scale with the castle, enter it, and stand on the ramparts.
You get the 'Best Newbie (Nearly) Ever" Award. -Az
Yay me.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

aslowhite wrote:Here's the deal: Have you ever spent an entire afternoon just lazing aimlessly on a beach (whether made of sand or snow or coffee), building a sand castle, standing and looking at the sea, sitting down, standing up, sitting down again...? The point is that time is subjective, as well as elastic. It expands and contracts according to our experience. An afternoon can last an entire week, or longer.

Wait for it...

Exactly.

Also, the beach being made of coffee is a new idea. If you ground it, you wouldn't really be able to tell much difference between it and sand.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:-snip-

OTOH maybe it was ice, and was too thin?

Or they took "the floor is now lava" a bit too literal? I missed a few newpix, so I don't know the whole story of "they went swimming."
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:Anyhow, dreadful scenarios aside, I think that satisfies my quota, and I can post an actual link I wanted to yesterday. Was listening to NPR while reading this thread, when this came on: Adam Frank, "How to See the World in a Grain of Sand"
http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2013/03/27/174647716/how-to-see-the-world-in-a-grain-of-sand

It felt pretty cosmic at the time.

That pretty much sums up this whole thread, at least for me. I haven't had this much perspective for quite some time.

astrotter

Postby astrotter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

The flags have not moved at all since they were erected. Either they were Photoshopped into the scene, or they are rigid, or this is taking place in an airless environment. In it's the third case, then the two instances of dialogue may have been telepathic. It's not clear that stick figures possess lungs anyway.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:The flags have not moved at all since they were erected. Either they were Photoshopped into the scene, or they are rigid, or this is taking place in an airless environment. In it's the third case, then the two instances of dialogue may have been telepathic. It's not clear that stick figures possess lungs anyway.

It's just a perfectly still day... no wind. Or no scripted wind I mean...
Image- Kieryn

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Just some ripples, no more decay.
Changed pixels in red:

I don't know how you're producing these pics, but do you have the ability to do them with the black->white pixels in one colour and the white->black pixels in a different colour. It could help to make a pan/zoom more obvious if that happens again.

Tophe

Postby Tophe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Srt252 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Srt252 wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
robxlii wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
*** wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Keep thinking they're swimming in a lake of coffee surrounded by snow if that's what you want, but I promise you that you are wrong. Wait for it, and you'll see.

To be fair, Randall's in Boston, so that is a completely plossible scenario.

I've got More Than a Feeling that might be possible.

Yeah. All of this is just Foreplay. It's gonna be a Long Time before we know anything for certain.

Them maybe it's time to stop checking. I don't need Amanda display a bunch of single frame animations slowly and string me along for days.

If it would just end already I might get some Peace of Mind.

If it does, Don't Look Back.

I just don't know if We're Ready, after it's over we might not be Feelin' Satisfied

I think they ran out of hits. Maybe we should focus on a different Rock and Roll Band

Ran out of hits? Tell Me, what are you Smokin'?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Wait! No one else post any more replies! 96 is such a nice round number of pages.
Image- Kieryn

pdg

Postby pdg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Also, the beach being made of coffee is a new idea. If you ground it, you wouldn't really be able to tell much difference between it and sand.

SUPER COFFEE WORLD!

A lake of coffee, surrounded by coffee grounds, populated by the most hyper-caffeinated people you will ever meet outside of a software development convention.
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”