1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ocdcoder

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ocdcoder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Remember past conversations about people viewing this for the first time, having no idea it updates, and leaving in confusion? I think we've found the best one yet for mass confusion.
Last edited by ocdcoder on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jtomjack

Postby jtomjack » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

pdg wrote:
jtomjack wrote:So what did she get in her mouth, Salt water, sand, or semen? Or bacon?

A sea of bacon? How do I get to this magical place? HOW DO I GET THERE!?

On the other hand, a sea of semen...ewww. :shock:

You have to swim through the sea of semen to reach the sea of bacon
paulmiranda wrote:When stick figures swim, they always go skinny dipping.

Helper wrote:
Tophe wrote:semencancercaffeinebabies

What have we done.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Beidah wrote:[...]
Alright, I shall go forth and spread the word of the Great Sandcastle. We should get some missionaries to help out.

Don't forget to use "sustainable" as often as possible. This is valid for missionaries, as well.

Still wondering if this year's Western super Mare Sand Sculpture festival (starting tomorrow) is coincidence (link to the festivals picture archive here, great artists at work - I'm wondering how the sculptures survive the Rainy Britain climate for more than a couple of newpix).

The sand over here in Rainy Britain is so used to the RBC that it ignores it and can maintain a constant moisture content for weeks at a time... :) :wink:
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

astrotter

Postby astrotter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
astrotter wrote:The flags have not moved at all since they were erected. Either they were Photoshopped into the scene, or they are rigid, or this is taking place in an airless environment. In it's the third case, then the two instances of dialogue may have been telepathic. It's not clear that stick figures possess lungs anyway.

It's just a perfectly still day... no wind. Or no scripted wind I mean...

I think eddy currents stirred up by the motion of the two constructors would have likely produced at least a pixel-scale movement in one of them.
Unless...the constructors are actually moving as slowly as they appear to be, and the castle exists in real-world time.

Though I haven't thought through the fluid mechanics of a two-dimensional atmosphere. The castle could be a Planiverse, and the constructors 3D visitors, or in parallel Planes.
http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~eroberts/courses/soco/projects/2005-06/planiverse/designs.html

2D sandcastles may hold together better, too. Or worse. I have no idea.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Helper wrote:It's clearly made of caffeinated sperm. Everything. The lake, the sand. Even the characters. You have no idea how deep this goes.

All the way, though at some point it turns into turtles...

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Every time I come back to this thread it has taken a new an unexpected turn. This one is slightly weirder than the rest.

Would it be smoked or unsmoked bacon?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

If the next frame shows Megan saying that she feels re-energized, we know that it's coffee. ...right?...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

jtomjack

Postby jtomjack » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:Every time I come back to this thread it has taken a new an unexpected turn. This one is slightly weirder than the rest.

Would it be smoked or unsmoked bacon?

Can't it be both?

Helper wrote:

What have we done.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Helper wrote:If the next frame shows Megan saying that she feels re-energized, we know that it's coffee. ...right?...

Or red bull. They could develop wings and fly off.

AussieJono

Postby AussieJono » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Norton Juster wrote: “You can swim all day in the Sea of Knowledge and not get wet.”

Presumably the same would apply to a sea of bacon. Also, while I'm thinking about the Phantom Tollbooth, we seem to have an island and a lot of strange conclusions flying around.
<pretentious quote> </pretentious quote>

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

jtomjack wrote:Can't it be both?

Or only half-smoked.

zaphodbeebledoc wrote:All the way, though at some point it turns into turtles...

To be fair, even the turtles are fueled by, err, caffeinated drink. Gross.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

keithl

Postby keithl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:Talking about Megan is beginning to make me feel weird. My little sisters name is Megan.

And Megan resembles your stick-figure avatar picture. I can see the family resemblance. Does your family wear black heat-shrink tubing, the biker look for stick figures? Perhaps if you both wore something looser, you would feel less weird.

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
digimuzik wrote:Anyone notice that Cueball's voice is coming from pretty high up?

Yeah, that is weird.

I think that is simply required for the proper flow of conversation...
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

AussieJono wrote:
Norton Juster wrote: “You can swim all day in the Sea of Knowledge and not get wet.”

Presumably the same would apply to a sea of bacon. Also, while I'm thinking about the Phantom Tollbooth, we seem to have an island and a lot of strange conclusions flying around.

That depends entirely on how it's cooked, and whether you count being covered in grease as being "wet"
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

littlebutterfly

Postby littlebutterfly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

reckter wrote:"got some in my mouth"
It can't be sand :/ I mean if i go swimming I won't have sand in my mouth, will I?

Then you've never tried body surfing a wave incorrectly, and been tumbled headfirst into the shore in the process...

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Helper wrote:If the next frame shows Megan saying that she feels re-energized, we know that it's coffee. ...right?...

Well they can't be on the Moon then... Blast!

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Grimgar wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
jtomjack wrote:So what did she get in her mouth, Salt water, sand, or semen? Or bacon?

well if it was bacon she wouldn't have been making noises of disgust...

Unless she is vegan…

If you are Vegan, why would swimming in a sea of bacon sound like a good idea to you? Because I've had Vegan bacon and trust me, the temptation to eat just a little of the real thing would be just too great.

Besides, most Vegans I know would just spit it out in a napkin, not act like they just got a mouth full of sea/bay/cove/lake water...which is what actually happened.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

so we have a sea/lake made of [water / ice / coffee / oobleck / bacon / semen/ redbull / methane] and a land made of [sand / snow / rock / ground coffee / semen]? am I up to speed or have I missed some...
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

zaphodbeebledoc wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:

Well they can't be on the Moon then... Blast!

But it could be Titan.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

trusstopher wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
digimuzik wrote:Anyone notice that Cueball's voice is coming from pretty high up?

Yeah, that is weird.

The position of the text, yes, but the line going off screen terminates too high, it should curve down and be closer to the water surface. Either he is standing on something, or is possibly very far away, but then in that case how would she hear him?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

deadpool809

Postby deadpool809 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Grimgar wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:

well if it was bacon she wouldn't have been making noises of disgust...

Unless she is vegan…

Everyone likes bacon, even vegans. I think it's a natural law.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

keithl wrote:And Megan resembles your stick-figure avatar picture. I can see the family resemblance. Does your family wear black heat-shrink tubing, the biker look for stick figures? Perhaps if you both wore something looser, you would feel less weird.

To be fair, it looked like she was wearing an inner tube the other day.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

benjaminswill

Postby benjaminswill » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Cannot keep up with the thread - will continue to watch the sands of time and check in now and again. Been a pleasure enjoying it all with you all!

Oh me yarm Wait for it. Oh me yarm

trusstopher

Postby trusstopher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
trusstopher wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Yeah, that is weird.

The position of the text, yes, but the line going off screen terminates too high, it should curve down and be closer to the water surface. Either he is standing on something, or is possibly very far away, but then in that case how would she hear him?

Good point.
My Signature is.... Wait for it...

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

I went to sleep, then I went to school, now I'm back and you have 28 new pages! This is going to take a long time to catch up.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:so we have a sea/lake made of [water / ice / coffee / oobleck / bacon / semen/ redbull / methane] and a land made of [sand / snow / rock / ground coffee / semen]? am I up to speed or have I missed some...

Not to complicate things, but I have it on good authority that deep-fried velociraptor tases a LOT like bacon.

Just sayin'...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

bouer wrote:I went to sleep, then I went to school, now I'm back and you have 28 new pages! This is going to take a long time to catch up.

I'm honestly worried about how much I'm going to miss when I leave for class in an hour.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

trusstopher wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Yeah, that is weird.

Does the air have to originate from the lungs?

A friend of mine can belch "Exterminate."
Spoiler:
I'm not sure if he can bake a soufflé though!

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:so we have a sea/lake made of [water / ice / coffee / oobleck / bacon / semen/ redbull / methane] and a land made of [sand / snow / rock / ground coffee / semen]? am I up to speed or have I missed some...

You missed the lake and the land being made of caffeinated semen.

jtomjack

Postby jtomjack » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

Not to complicate things, but I have it on good authority that deep-fried velociraptor tases a LOT like bacon.

Just sayin'...

Just remember, Velociraptors can open doors, but are slowed by them. They can open an initial door in approximately 5 minutes, and will take half that time for each subsequent door.

Helper wrote:

What have we done.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

Just sayin'...

Yes, but it would be much harder to write a physically-realistic deep-fried velociraptor flesh simulation, on account of the rarity of velociraptors.
Image- Kieryn

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

Just sayin'...

Wouldn't actually taste more like chicken? I mean...dinosaurs -> birds and all that.

TJMaster

Postby TJMaster » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

I made it to the end! I've been reading this since day one but everytime I had time to create my account I had to catch up on 12 pages. Greatest story board ever!

This reminds me of one of those "pick your adventure" books where you decided how it was going to end.

As for the idea of bacon. I have no idea how on earth the bacon would be in liquid form, but she should have at least used it as a floaty!

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Do'h! Ninja'd.

StratPlayer wrote:

Just sayin'...

Are you sure it doesn't taste like chicken? At least tonight? :oops:

Spoiler:
Actually, this is starting to feel like a chronic hysteresis! :shock: :eek:
Last edited by zaphodbeebledoc on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Helper wrote:

You missed the lake and the land being made of caffeinated semen.

If they're both made of caffeinated semen how do we distinguish between the land and the liquid? unless we go with Caffinated semens and Caffinated semenl
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

possibly one is semenated caffeine?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Mindor

Postby Mindor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

lovepirate wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:Why do you assume something entered her mouth? Perhaps something just made her suddenly aware of her teeth.

This is the best thing I've heard today! An internet for you, my good person!
Wait for it.

fighting laughing out loud so hard right now I'm nearly crying.

you missed the lake being made of mercury, and probably want to include just plain liquid for completeness.
Last edited by Mindor on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You get the 'Best Newbie (Nearly) Ever" Award. -Az
Yay me.

swey

Postby swey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
trusstopher wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Yeah, that is weird.

he just used import antigravity from 353
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

pdg

Postby pdg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

jtomjack wrote:
pdg wrote:

A sea of bacon? How do I get to this magical place? HOW DO I GET THERE!?

On the other hand, a sea of semen...ewww. :shock:

You have to swim through the sea of semen to reach the sea of bacon

Hmm, well, it is bacon.

For mankind, science...and BACON! *splash* *gag*
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:possibly one is semenated caffeine?

No, not possible. Caffeine is too small a molecule. C8H10N4O2
Image- Kieryn

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”