1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

reckter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby reckter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

trusstopher wrote:I'm curious if this thread will surpass the "Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release Discussion"thread we had over at Droid Forums.... 6504 posts over a little less than a month of waiting for that damn phone. Of course, it got the point we were posting just for the sake of posting and had long periods of off topic discussion. I'm betting if this lasts at least another 72-120 NewPix, this will pass 5000, at least.

5000 shouldn't be much of a problem^^We are at nearly 4k already :D
This is the reference implementation of the self-referencing signature.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:hmm I have to go into the dreaded (and possibly non-existent) outside to mingle with the outside people *shudder* . However if I leave I'll never catch up with the forum posts again... can you guys promise not to post anything while I'm gone?

Yes.

Spoiler:
Shakes head. :mrgreen:
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Ya know, if time flies like an arrow, then what type of arrow is being referenced here? Or insects or fruit, for that matter.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:Dang. That's sad. Oh... wait... am I improperly inferring from the downturned emoticon that Helper is sad?

What? No. The downturned emoticon means I'm happy. Where did you get the idea that I'm sad from? It's like you have faulty information.
I'm sabotaging the internet. Awesome.

tvall wrote:are you sure you are a real person? your posts seem quite automated

....fuck...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:...
Actually, I would not be surprised if Randall hasn't automated his entire xkcd operation by now. He probably has programs that scan these forums and the web for comic ideas and generates them automatically. Heck, it was probably a program that came up with the idea for this very comic AND ITSELF created the script / AI to generate it.
And then started posting here in a turtle-stack of recursivity.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

The thread that just keeps on coming... What next for our two subjects?
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

tvall wrote:
pdg wrote:
r34ver wrote:this is baaad for productivity.

Following this thread isn't helping my F5 key much either.

i am seriously considering removing the F5 key from my keyboard at work.

You do realize that there are ways of refreshing which don't require that key (re-mapping keys, moving the mouse up to the refresh button, clicking on the url and hitting enter)?
just sayin'

tvall

Postby tvall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
digimuzik wrote:Dang. That's sad. Oh... wait... am I improperly inferring from the downturned emoticon that Helper is sad?

What? No. The downturned emoticon means I'm happy. Where did you get the idea that I'm sad from? It's like you have faulty information.

....fuck...

join us!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

tvall wrote:
Helper wrote:

....fuck...

join us!

There goes my 4000th post.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

xspeedballx wrote:So I am leaning more and more that they are stuck in some bizarre terrain. Which explains the initial sort of boredom and fidgeting.

So ... you have to, like, be stuck on Mars or something in order to be bored and fidgety? And what, exactly, was this "boredom and fidgeting" anyway? Why couldn't it just have been relaxing on the beach?

tvall

Postby tvall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
tvall wrote:
pdg wrote:

You do realize that there are ways of refreshing which don't require that key (re-mapping keys, moving the mouse up to the refresh button, clicking on the url and hitting enter)?
just sayin'

yes, but that involves work. about the same amount of work as removing the key... fuck.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

trusstopher wrote:I'm curious if this thread will surpass the "Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release Discussion"thread we had over at Droid Forums.... 6504 posts over a little less than a month of waiting for that damn phone. Of course, it got the point we were posting just for the sake of posting and had long periods of off topic discussion. I'm betting if this lasts at least another 72-120 NewPix, this will pass 5000, at least.

Recently we've been gaining somewhere on the order of one NewPage per NewPix... at 40 NewPosts per NewPage, that makes another 1000 in 25 NewPages, which is roughly 25 NewPix, give or take maybe 20%.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

pdg

Postby pdg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
tvall wrote:
pdg wrote:

just sayin'

Well I'm probably being a little overcautious. I have an IBM Model M, my fingertips may wear out before it does.
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

tvall wrote:join us!

Oh, fine...

Eeep! Now I'm a mindless algroithm that merely scans forums and attempts to construct posts relevant to the subject at hand! Now I'm nothing! ...this feels oddly familar.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:Anyone notice that Cueball's voice is coming from pretty high up?

Yes, it is!
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:So I am leaning more and more that they are stuck in some bizarre terrain. Which explains the initial sort of boredom and fidgeting.

So ... you have to, like, be stuck on Mars or something in order to be bored and fidgety? And what, exactly, was this "boredom and fidgeting" anyway? Why couldn't it just have been relaxing on the beach?

Nope, I am letting imagination fly! It is fun! I am imagining these two people have found themselves in a completely bizarre situation moments before. I am adding subtext in my mind! We know nothing of the moments, hours, days, years before the moment we started witnessing. So I am making things up, and using context to support it. Occam's razor be damned!

Also I am not sure someone would say "I got some in my mouth" if they ingested salinated water. But I could be very wrong.

fixer

Postby fixer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Sheesh, I go away for less than 2 newpix and come back to umpteen pages of chatter.

I still think that Megan lost her car keys in the sand when she was lying down, and they are now buried under the highest turret of the first castle.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

ugmhemhe wrote:pic

You're back!
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Oh god Megan walked off camera to die and the sand castle's have cancer now. Cue ball is going to suicide in the sea of pregnant babies! (Am I doing it right?)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Helper wrote:

Oh, fine...

Eeep! Now I'm a mindless algroithm that merely scans forums and attempts to construct posts relevant to the subject at hand! Now I'm nothing! ...this feels oddly familar.

[humor-verb] job. [topic] is very [nicety] when [xkcd-conditional]. #23c45e3dff [review-this] @outputerror code 2231: parse error, unexpected symbol.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

He looks sad! An alien from Titan probably gave his miscarried child cancer through caffeinated semen.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Cueball is contemplating the location from whence this all started.
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

xspeedballx wrote:Also I am not sure someone would say "I got some in my mouth" if they ingested salinated water.

Why the heck not?

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Helper wrote:

Oh, fine...

[humor-verb] job. [topic] is very [nicety] when [xkcd-conditional]. #23c45e3dff [review-this] @outputerror code 2231: parse error, unexpected symbol.

This phrase is a lie.

fixer

Postby fixer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

ugmhemhe wrote:Image

Totally looking for the car keys. :mrgreen:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Thanks :-)

Actually, I would not be surprised if Randall hasn't automated his entire xkcd operation by now. He probably has programs that scan these forums and the web for comic ideas and generates them automatically. Heck, it was probably a program that came up with the idea for this very comic AND ITSELF created the script / AI to generate it.

I maintain that's how the entire Internet works. I'm actually the only real person on here :cry:.

I always find AIs that don't realise they're AIs quite poignant. I really should stop releasing them into the wild.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

fixer wrote:
ugmhemhe wrote:Image

Totally looking for the car keys. :mrgreen:

Yep. Concur.
Image- Kieryn

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

xspeedballx wrote:<words>

Kieryn wrote:<words>

Lord Cathbad wrote:<words>

I swear I'm going to have a heart attack :mrgreen:

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Helper wrote:

Oh, fine...

This phrase is a lie.

Does a set of all sets contain itself? New Mission: Deny this mission
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:Also I am not sure someone would say "I got some in my mouth" if they ingested salinated water.

Why the heck not?

Fair question. Probably a mixture of me preferring to be specific, but more importantly storytelling tends to have dialog be specific unless it is intentionally trying to build misdirection. At least in most modern media that I have observed. It could probably be defined as lazy but accepted. When I see a pronoun or vague terminology used in an already vague setting it immediately sets my brain on a path of further misdirection and mystery. Possibly a flaw. I will run a diagnostic.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

NotAllThere wrote:
Helper wrote:

I maintain that's how the entire Internet works. I'm actually the only real person on here :cry:.

I always find AIs that don't realise they're AIs quite poignant. I really should stop releasing them into the wild.

I'm never quite sure which it is with me.
Image- Kieryn

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Helper wrote:

Maybe Randall had a heart attack! And it's conveying through a series of intricate events to make us think of all sorts of scenarios and invariably at one point give you a heart attack!

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:

Why the heck not?

Sea water is NOT tasty, most especially if there is decaying sea plants in the area that have washed up near shore. :|

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
NotAllThere wrote:
Helper wrote:

Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!!
Image- Kieryn

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
NotAllThere wrote:
Helper wrote:

What if Randall is us... From the future?

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Helper wrote:

Maybe Randall had a heart attack! And it's conveying through a series of intricate events to make us think of all sorts of scenarios and invariably at one point give you a heart attack!

Or we are all having a collective hallucination while in the process of a heart attack set on by a subliminal action of the first(and only) panel, and while we will someday die we will never know it because we have an infinite set of thoughts and moments to pursue before that moment. Time has become relative driving to the moment of our collective deaths. We will keep waiting for it, but it will never happen. There is an end to the cycle but it require cancerous semen babies named Megan.

Pelahnar

Postby Pelahnar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
NotAllThere wrote:
Helper wrote:

What if Randall is us... From the future?

Just what are you people implying here?
zk2556 wrote:Well, you see, the problem is that there hasn't been anything dramatic happen in the last 15 newpix or so. And we internet folk have short attention spans. So, we make a new religion.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:

Given your resistance to even jokingly re-interpreting the comic, I find your earlier post explaining your username very ironic.

Helper

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!!

And you guys laughed when I said there's more than one Randall!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”