1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

imagineddragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby imagineddragon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

It's a graph!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Roia wrote:There are some tideless oceans. I don't know much about them, though.

Not on Earth there aren't. There are only 5 oceans Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Southern (Antarctic), and Arctic all of which have tides. There are a few seas that have limited tides due to them being shallow or disconnected enough from the world's oceans.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

It's a graph!

arjan

Postby arjan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

In the quiet time near the end of a newpix, here's a new theory: eventually it will zoom out and out and wel'll see many more Queballs and more Megans all building sandcastles and watch them destroyed by Time. And then we'll all be depressed about our miserable lifes and Randall orders us to commit mass suicide. After 2048 newpix that would sound like a very normal thing to do.

Or the baby of course.

AussieJono

Postby AussieJono » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Roia wrote:There are some tideless oceans. I don't know much about them, though.

I believe the Mediterranean is virtually non-tidal. A quick check on Wikipedia reveals
Being nearly landlocked affects conditions in the Mediterranean Sea: for instance, tides are very limited as a result of the narrow connection with the Atlantic Ocean.

Therefore, my new theory is that they are in Cyprus and have nothing else to do since all their money is in a bank which has been closed for the better part of two weeks.
<pretentious quote> </pretentious quote>

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

So the tide is coming in now perhaps?

This comic reminds me a little of a very boring graphic novel, Le goût du chlore, by Bastien Vivès, btw. I would love a printed version of Time.

Am I the only one to think that the automatic animated gif has been speeded up too much? Perhaps the last 10-15 frames could be slowed down a bit?

/Lasse
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

micdi

Postby micdi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

hdhale wrote:
micdi wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:Are you sure it isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

rules say no red...
sry...

What about a Crimson Tide?

Sorry not to have been precise, the rules state: "Red text is reserved for mods, so please do not use any shade of red at all."
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

keithl

Postby keithl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

Last image and the halting problem.

There may come a point, perhaps soon, when we stop seeing new images here in Outside time. Perhaps one last picture will appear on April first. Or in the Outside year 2075. There may be a program running now, scheduled to present the last image years later, and due to misfortune or a programming mistake, Randall and his server are no more.

How will we ever know when we are looking at the last image?

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Could someone bump the link to the wiki? I forgot to save it before leaving 4 TF ago and I can't find it anymore.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

micdi

Postby micdi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

keithl wrote:Last image and the halting problem.

There may come a point, perhaps soon, when we stop seeing new images here in Outside time. Perhaps one last picture will appear on April first. Or in the Outside year 2075. There may be a program running now, scheduled to present the last image years later, and due to misfortune or a programming mistake, Randall and his server are no more.

How will we ever know when we are looking at the last image?

the hashs (maybe i don´t quite understand what you are saying, if that is so, i am deeply sorry)?
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

No changes in this new one. Time to go home. Hopefully the next newpic will be different.

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

diego5wh wrote:
Grepus wrote:
digimuzik wrote:
Jellyfish-derp wrote:90% of the people on this thread have joined since march 25th, 2013

Though some of us claim to have old, "forgotten" accounts that we couldn't be bothered to look up. :lol:

I searched high and low, I think I registered with an email account I no longer have access to...

well apparently i joined on:

Trough my ridiculously low post count shows that I am only lurking most of the time.

Samesies.

I keep feeling like I should be posting, but either I'm too far behind and someone posts first what I would have posted, or I get insecure while typing and abandon the post....I am irrationally concerned with what the community as a whole thinks of my posts.....
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

micdi wrote:
hdhale wrote:
micdi wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:Are you sure it isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

rules say no red...
sry...

What about a Crimson Tide?

Sorry not to have been precise, the rules state: "Red text is reserved for mods, so please do not use any shade of red at all."

I would have went Kentucky Blue, but then it wouldn't work quite as well for the bit now, eh? :wink:

pdg

Postby pdg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Another very slight darkening of the surface row of pixels on the water.

Speculation about incoming tide in 3...2...1...
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

micdi wrote:Sorry not to have been precise, the rules state: "Red text is reserved for mods, so please do not use any shade of red at all."

I'd imagine the rules would also say something about, uh, not going wildly off-topic for 4k+ posts, systematically trying to kill (or worse) Randall, his SO, and their non-existant baby, and spawning new religions, cultures, and language :D.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:No changes in this new one. Time to go home. Hopefully the next newpic will be different.

Is the hash th same?

fixer

Postby fixer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

JCPenney wrote:I keep feeling like I should be posting, but either I'm too far behind and someone posts first what I would have posted, or I get insecure while typing and abandon the post....I am irrationally concerned with what the community as a whole thinks of my posts.....

I feel the same way on every single forum, board, and collection of standing stones I belong to. Yay, social anxiety!
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

Pelahnar

Postby Pelahnar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

JCPenney wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
Grepus wrote:
digimuzik wrote:
Jellyfish-derp wrote:90% of the people on this thread have joined since march 25th, 2013

Though some of us claim to have old, "forgotten" accounts that we couldn't be bothered to look up. :lol:

I searched high and low, I think I registered with an email account I no longer have access to...

Trough my ridiculously low post count shows that I am only lurking most of the time.

Samesies.

I keep feeling like I should be posting, but either I'm too far behind and someone posts first what I would have posted, or I get insecure while typing and abandon the post....I am irrationally concerned with what the community as a whole thinks of my posts.....

Oh, you should be. We're all extremely judgement people here. If you make one slip - just something tiny that we happen to not like...well, you'll never live it down. Obviously.

/s
zk2556 wrote:Well, you see, the problem is that there hasn't been anything dramatic happen in the last 15 newpix or so. And we internet folk have short attention spans. So, we make a new religion.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Sorry, had to go Outside for a few newpix...
Just the tiniest bit of sea level rise in the past two frames. (Green pixels, hard to spot.)
Hmm, maybe it will keep rising ever so slowly until the castles have drowned. That'll take weeks.

ETfix image URLs
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

GirlPhoenix85

Postby GirlPhoenix85 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

So, after RL intervened with a meeting last night & a desperate need for sleep, I am far too happy to have finally caught up on this thread after staying stuck about 20 pages behind for most of the day (finally got to catch up as work finished).

Second epoch of waiting?

Roia

Postby Roia » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:

Not on Earth there aren't. There are only 5 oceans Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Southern (Antarctic), and Arctic all of which have tides. There are a few seas that have limited tides due to them being shallow or disconnected enough from the world's oceans.

Did a bit of research - My previous comment was incorrect, there's not such thing as a completely tideless ocean. There are some seas that have a barely noticeable tide, though, like a few inches. The Mediterranean Sea, for example. My only experience has been from a holiday in Turkey, where the water level only rose about a centimetre the entire week I was there.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

anyLH

Postby anyLH » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

JCPenney wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
Grepus wrote:
digimuzik wrote:

Samesies.

Same here...what if I show too much a preference for the Iceism theories after their time has passed? What if I'm not up on the most current caffeine-baby trends?! I can't afford to lose the brethren in this cult at this stage of the game!!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

This is too much for me now. The suspense is killing me. ARRRRGH!
Image- Kieryn

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

The sea is sloooowly rising. That gives credit to the Great Destruction And Loop theory.
If this goes like when the camera zoomed out, it should rise exponentially, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Yet.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:This is too much for me now. The suspense is killing me. ARRRRGH!

I wonder if Randall could be charged with manslaughter?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

arjan

Postby arjan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

The last one says it was was created 2013-03-27T06:42:46-04:00 and modified 2 two days EARLIER at 2013-03-25T00:56:32-04:00.

It might mean that we're watching a movie while it's being made.
Last edited by arjan on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
micdi wrote:Sorry not to have been precise, the rules state: "Red text is reserved for mods, so please do not use any shade of red at all."

I'd imagine the rules would also say something about, uh, not going wildly off-topic for 4k+ posts, systematically trying to kill (or worse) Randall, his SO, and their non-existant baby, and spawning new religions, cultures, and language :D.

Hey, I don't think anybody was trying to kill (or worse) the author. It's just ... some people were perversely anxious to jump to the conclusion that something awful was about to happen to him with absolutely no reason to believe so whatsoever. At least the trend went away relatively early in this experience.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

arjan wrote:The last one says it was was created 2013-03-27T06:42:46-04:00 and modified 2 two days EARLIER at 2013-03-25T00:56:32-04:00.

Or that he's just messing with us now, by changing the date on his computer
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

treadman

Postby treadman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Perhaps it is a metaphor for a relationship:

At first they are sitting together. Not doing much. Just getting familiar with each other.
They start building a life together. It's nothing special but they like it.
But he leaves her. "Later" "Bye" She continues to build.
He returns. He gets right back to helping build their life, even though she's done most of the work by now.
Then she walks out without a word of farewell. He continues to build.
Finally, sensing that it's time to move on, he walks away from the life they had built.
He finds her again. She has built a new life. A nicer life. She allows him to be a part of her new life and lets him build with her.
She goes back to take a look at their old life together. Maybe by sprucing it up, she can remember those times more fondly.
But she's not so sure and decides to sit and contemplate.
He finds her sitting there. Thinking it might help their relationship, she asks if he would like to take some time off together.
Maybe a vacation. "Wanna swim?" "Yeah"
Perhaps it wasn't a good idea, though. Perhaps none of this life together was a good idea.
"Are you OK?" "PFFTHH *cough* Just got some in my mouth" She's sick of it.
She leaves. He putters around a little. He leaves.
The life they built together is abandoned and left to the ravages of time.
Last edited by treadman on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:02 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

TheBauhausCure

Postby TheBauhausCure » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

After all this, it'd be so sad to see it washed away. I know it's inevitable, but I'd rather the roller-coaster of emotions this comic has been to end on a happy note.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
NotAllThere wrote:I always find AIs that don't realise they're AIs quite poignant. I really should stop releasing them into the wild.
I'm never quite sure which it is with me.
Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!!

I'm Randall, and so's my wife!
(This does get somewhat disconcerting, with Randall being my RL name, and so every time I see Him mentioned here, I have a split second of "huh?".)
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

arjan

Postby arjan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Incognito357 wrote:
arjan wrote:The last one says it was was created 2013-03-27T06:42:46-04:00 and modified 2 two days EARLIER at 2013-03-25T00:56:32-04:00.

In that case it's a very important observation. The messing has been going on since monday, but now there's EXTRA messing around!

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

enumerated powers wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
Helper wrote:
Roia wrote:NO! You said the word, you said it!

Argh! Now I said it! AHHH! Make it stop! Oh no!

What's wrong with you? What is it?

It's it.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQfGd3G6dg#t=4m40s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTT_sv8sV0

Black Hat Guy

Postby Black Hat Guy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
micdi wrote:
kryton wrote:
SilverTree wrote:Occam's Razor for me: no coffee lake, no snow, just a beach and a (awesome) sand castle.

Occam's razor is about simplifying one theory, not about picking between two theories.

May i quote Wikipedia on Occam´s razor?
"It states that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected."

Well according to Ocam's Razor then, you do not exist. Ha.

Nope. If he doesn't exist, why is he on the forum? Ghost? Where did the ghost come from? What mechanism is therefore needed? This all needs explaining, so a better theory is that he is simply a living person.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

TheBauhausCure wrote:After all this, it'd be so sad to see it washed away. I know it's inevitable, but I'd rather the roller-coaster of emotions this comic has been to end on a happy note.

Every person obviously interprets it differently, but for me, I don't think the castle being washed away (or eroded, or otherwise destroyed through natural processes) is necessarily sad. It's kind of peaceful really, and in some ways romantic. Here's this thing these two (presumed) lovers built together, and only time and mother earth can break it down again - but it's not destroyed, it just kind of disassembles it for the next happy builders to come along and repeat the sequence. Without the destruction there can be no new creation - eventually we'd just run out of material. Nothing humans make is endless, but this is about as nice an end as any human creation could wish for. Better than if it were a real castle, pretty much designed to be invaded by hostile forces looking to tear it down.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

arjan wrote:
Incognito357 wrote:

In that case it's a very important observation. The messing has been going on since monday, but now there's EXTRA messing around!

As much as I love the idea, this is normal. Copying a file updates the creation date on the copy, but not the modification date. Sorry :P

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

Black Hat Guy wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
micdi wrote:
kryton wrote:
SilverTree wrote:Occam's Razor for me: no coffee lake, no snow, just a beach and a (awesome) sand castle.

Occam's razor is about simplifying one theory, not about picking between two theories.

May i quote Wikipedia on Occam´s razor?
"It states that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected."

Well according to Ocam's Razor then, you do not exist. Ha.

Nope. If he doesn't exist, why is he on the forum? Ghost? Where did the ghost come from? What mechanism is therefore needed? This all needs explaining, so a better theory is that he is simply a living person.

did you forget bot? ;)
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

midian

Postby midian » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

thank you Aubron Wood (http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/#), you have made something remarkable a lot more accessible. i like being able to go frame by frame at my own speed. now i get to appreciate the ones i missed.

i also am really excited about what new might be there tomorrow (which is just 4 newpix away in my time zone). 'time', 'the past', next: 'the present'?

however i suspect it will turns out to be unrelated. and time goes on quietly in the background, as it does in life.

bravo, RM, bravo.

bgzi

Postby bgzi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
TheBauhausCure wrote:After all this, it'd be so sad to see it washed away. I know it's inevitable, but I'd rather the roller-coaster of emotions this comic has been to end on a happy note.

Every person obviously interprets it differently, but for me, I don't think the castle being washed away (or eroded, or otherwise destroyed through natural processes) is necessarily sad. It's kind of peaceful really, and in some ways romantic. Here's this thing these two (presumed) lovers built together, and only time and mother earth can break it down again - but it's not destroyed, it just kind of disassembles it for the next happy builders to come along and repeat the sequence. Without the destruction there can be no new creation - eventually we'd just run out of material. Nothing humans make is endless, but this is about as nice an end as any human creation could wish for. Better than if it were a real castle, pretty much designed to be invaded by hostile forces looking to tear it down.

Ah, that's life, isn't it?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:The sea is sloooowly rising. That gives credit to the Great Destruction And Loop theory.
If this goes like when the camera zoomed out, it should rise exponentially, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Yet.

Assuming all the following:
-the flow of their time is constant between newpix
-this it is in fact a tide,
-the tide is following a normal sinusoidal pattern
-the tide will rise around 100-200 pixels or enough to wipe out the castle

and given:
-we have had about 190 frames at the baseline of the sine curve
-its now only just starting to visibly rise at a rate of at a guess less than 0.5 pixels per newpix

then by my calculations, we are looking at least 2000 more frames before full tide.
Image- Kieryn

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”