1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lovepirate

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
TheBauhausCure wrote:After all this, it'd be so sad to see it washed away. I know it's inevitable, but I'd rather the roller-coaster of emotions this comic has been to end on a happy note.

Every person obviously interprets it differently, but for me, I don't think the castle being washed away (or eroded, or otherwise destroyed through natural processes) is necessarily sad. It's kind of peaceful really, and in some ways romantic. Here's this thing these two (presumed) lovers built together, and only time and mother earth can break it down again - but it's not destroyed, it just kind of disassembles it for the next happy builders to come along and repeat the sequence. Without the destruction there can be no new creation - eventually we'd just run out of material. Nothing humans make is endless, but this is about as nice an end as any human creation could wish for. Better than if it were a real castle, pretty much designed to be invaded by hostile forces looking to tear it down.

Nice! I like it!
Wait for it.

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

I really hope Randall ends this on an obvious ending. If he were to go for a loop or a subtle ending, this thread could go on for weeks after it is all over, speculating what it all meant. And as much as I love you guys, I need to get back to the outside at some point... Not sure i could handle this going on forever...
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:This is too much for me now. The suspense is killing me. ARRRRGH!

Well, better watch out for those time vultures eh?

Either the tide is rising, the ocean is slightly moving, the camera is moving again or any combination of those.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Pikrass wrote:The sea is sloooowly rising. That gives credit to the Great Destruction And Loop theory.
If this goes like when the camera zoomed out, it should rise exponentially, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Yet.

Assuming all the following:
-the flow of their time is constant between newpix
-this it is in fact a tide,
-the tide is following a normal sinusoidal pattern
-the tide will rise around 100-200 pixels or enough to wipe out the castle

and given:
-we have had about 190 frames at the baseline of the sine curve
-its now only just starting to visibly rise at a rate of at a guess less than 0.5 pixels per newpix

then by my calculations, we are looking at least 2000 more frames before full tide.

Of course, if one was to hypothesize that their time is about 10 hours for the nearly 200 frames we've seen (a full day at the beach), then that's a tidal cycle of about 8 days which is ridiculous. If the tidal cycle is accurately 2 per 24 hours then everything we have seen, the sitting, the sandcastles, the swimming, all took place in a little over 30 minutes.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

THEORY: This is a comic set in XKCD-verse, wherein tides may not exist. And physics happens as Randall sees fit

AussieJono

Postby AussieJono » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

How about The Age of the Slow Tide?
<pretentious quote> </pretentious quote>

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

No more sea level rise, but some rippling. Green is added, red is removed.

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

New frame. Not much difference, only a few pixels on the water and one on the left

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:THEORY: This is a comic set in XKCD-verse, wherein tides may not exist. And physics happens as Randall sees fit

Well, Randall is the "Creator of Time" so he can do that if he wants.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

THE SUSPENSE

IT BURNS

HELP
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:Ya know, if time flies like an arrow, then what type of arrow is being referenced here? Or insects or fruit, for that matter.

replying to my first post which, because of approval lag, is back on page 101 and hence lost in passages of...time.
Last edited by spamjam on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

AussieJono wrote:How about The Age of the Slow Tide?

Yes! Maybe that is a world of less gravity, and the moon can stay at the same distance but move slower in order to keep a roughly circular orbit! Or the moon is just more massive and further away. (If there even is a moon)

reckter

Postby reckter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

This is pure evil!
First he let's us watching two people building a sandcastle over two days, and the he slowly destroys it with the rising water*.

* or other liquids i know!
This is the reference implementation of the self-referencing signature.

susanoodin

Postby susanoodin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

For some reason I keep expecting a horde orof knights or something to come riding at me from the gap in between the two castles
Last edited by susanoodin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
SBN wrote: ..., but then maybe we don't know enough yet. (But that's what the start of finding out looks like.)

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

AussieJono wrote:How about The Age of the Slow Tide?

Maybe. not gonna change it until something actually changes, though; it might wind up being closer to The Age of Calm, or something, if an actual, faster slowtide does show up. If nothing happens for 3 more newpix, perhaps.
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Well, there could be a moon and gravitational forces trying to work on the water, but Randall did import antigravity.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

susanoodin wrote:For some reason I keep expecting a horde or knights or something to come riding at me from the gap in between the two castles

I would love that. Personally, I'm hoping for some really unrelated hilarious ending. People have speculated repeatedly about raptors showing up and tearing everything apart, and if that happened I'm pretty sure every person on this forum would actually here me laugh, no matter where they are located.

Tass

Postby Tass » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

I am disappointed that Randall apparently didn't make a realistic tide. It could have started out going slowly downwards turning and then being about to reach the castle when they left, rather than being completely immobile for the hours it must have taken them to build, and then suddenly starting to come in.

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:Well, there could be a moon and gravitational forces trying to work on the water, but Randall did import antigravity.

Maybe they implanted a device in the beach, stopping the tides from rising or falling, so structures like sandcastles would stay (maybe that's why some overhangs fall of more than others). And maybe they implemented some breakwaters and stuff to stop waves interfering with the coast.

...Or maybe we're just over-analyzing this comic, and it's actually just a simple story of 2 people on an arbitrary, unrealistic beach...

TJMaster

Postby TJMaster » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
susanoodin wrote:For some reason I keep expecting a horde or knights or something to come riding at me from the gap in between the two castles

I would love that. Personally, I'm hoping for some really unrelated hilarious ending. People have speculated repeatedly about raptors showing up and tearing everything apart, and if that happened I'm pretty sure every person on this forum would actually here me laugh, no matter where they are located.

OR the knights coming riding out of the castle RIDING the raptors! Eh? eh? ...Hurry up time!

Sedasa

Postby Sedasa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

In the beginning, I wanted to see the ending. But right now, I think that I enjoy the process more. I suppose each of us must do the best with the finite amount of sand and time and raptors that we are given in life.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:Well, there could be a moon and gravitational forces trying to work on the water, but Randall did import antigravity.

Maybe they implanted a device in the beach, stopping the tides from rising or falling, so structures like sandcastles would stay (maybe that's why some overhangs fall of more than others). And maybe they implemented some breakwaters and stuff to stop waves interfering with the coast.

...Or maybe we're just over-analyzing this comic, and it's actually just a simple story of 2 people on an arbitrary, unrealistic beach...

Is that even possible? I don't know that I've ever seen an xkcd comic that was that "simple" (except maybe his very earliest stuff). Everything he does has some meaning or implication.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Tass wrote:I am disappointed that Randall apparently didn't make a realistic tide. It could have started out going slowly downwards turning and then being about to reach the castle when they left, rather than being completely immobile for the hours it must have taken them to build, and then suddenly starting to come in.

T be fair, at this point, we can't even be sure if the tide phenomenon is actually a tide at all. it's a single line of darkening pixels; for all we know, they'll re-lighten in the next frame. I think that something else is gonna knock down the castle. Maybe it'll rain?

I don't think rain has been suggested before... if it was, it was somewhere in the pages I read before coffee, and I don't remember it...
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:

Is that even possible? I don't know that I've ever seen an xkcd comic that was that "simple" (except maybe his very earliest stuff). Everything he does has some meaning or implication.

The thing is, that could be the very meaning, that some things don't need to have hidden meanings to be beautiful, and meaningful. This could very well be different because of it being so simple. I'm not going to bet that it is that simple, but it could very well be.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

TJMaster wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:

OR the knights coming riding out of the castle RIDING the raptors! Eh? eh? ...Hurry up time!

OR raptor-mounted knights invade the castle only to be attacked by a swarm of red spiders!

(side-note: I am finally caught up on the thread after 8newpix of school and 5newpix of fence building)
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Leonidas

Postby Leonidas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

I think it would be amazing, if the picture would slowly randomly diffuse (Let's say in each frame a black pixel neighbouring a white pixel would have some probability of getting white and vice versa). How longwould it take until we reach a state of maximal enthropy?

Probably this is not the case, anyways ;)

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

Half a newpix until midnight - I'm signing out. Don't go crazy.
Well. At least try not to raise the craziness level.
At least not higher than the double of the current.
At least not much higher.

Oh Randall.
You created a monster.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Tass wrote:I am disappointed that Randall apparently didn't make a realistic tide. It could have started out going slowly downwards turning and then being about to reach the castle when they left, rather than being completely immobile for the hours it must have taken them to build, and then suddenly starting to come in.

I don't think there's enough evidence yet to know whether the changes in the water are from a tide. The level hasn't moved up appreciably, so it could be ripples being made by something approaching from in/across the body of water.

kryton

Postby kryton » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

lovepirate wrote:
Scott Auld wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Srt252 wrote:He's gonna fall and knock it down again! Don't do it! DON'T DO IT!

Don't fret, if he does, it's not like there wont be time to rebuild it.

This is no time to talk about Time. We haven't got the time.

Well done! I made an Insurrection reference earlier and no one responded (a perfect moment in Time).
Wait for it.

I got it but thought it rude to reply since i'm 5 np behind the time vortex.
1298 and counting

htom

Postby htom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Rule of 12 for tides (an approximation that can be dangerous.) Assuming the height between low tide and high tide is 12 pixels, in the first hour after low tide, tide will rise 1 pixel, in the second hour 2 pixels, in the third, 3 pixels, in the fourth, 3 pixels, in the fifth, 2 pixels, in the sixth, 1 pixel. It will then fall in a corresponding pattern.

If the total range from low to high is 3 pixels, or 300 pixels, adjust accordingly.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:Could someone bump the link to the wiki? I forgot to save it before leaving 4 TF ago and I can't find it anymore.

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

After sleep, school and a break for dinner I have finally caught back up. I just read 33 pages of insanity in 7.5 newpix.

John W Kennedy

Postby John W Kennedy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Where is it said that this is the ocean? There are plenty of beaches in this world, on lakes, and even seas (if they are not merely ocean arms) that have no tides to speak of. Even the Mediterranean has rather little in the way of tides.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Black Hat Guy wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
micdi wrote:
kryton wrote:
SilverTree wrote:Occam's Razor for me: no coffee lake, no snow, just a beach and a (awesome) sand castle.
Occam's razor is about simplifying one theory, not about picking between two theories.
May i quote Wikipedia on Occam´s razor?
"It states that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected."
Well according to Ocam's Razor then, you do not exist. Ha.
Nope. If he doesn't exist, why is he on the forum? Ghost? Where did the ghost come from? What mechanism is therefore needed? This all needs explaining, so a better theory is that he is simply a living person.

Bad news for your simplicity, BHG. Guys. People are complicated!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

This thread makes me feel like I live in a different timestream from the rest of you. I feel like some kind of long-lived immortal watching fleeting human lives flit past. I glance back here every now and then, a couple times a day, maybe every few minutes of comic time, which seems frantically obsessive at my pace, and... goddamn, another few dozen pages? There's weeks and weeks of conversation happening here every hour. Whole discussions rise, run out their fleeting but passionate little lives, then wane and die in what feels like the brief moment in which I glanced away from the thread. In the time it takes me to read a new page, a dozen new posts have been posted; and in the time it takes me to read those and finally catch up, a few more. Once I finally catch up, I need only, say, check if another forum has updated or not, and come back to find more.

In the time it took me to write this post, two more posts were posted. And in the time it took me to preview/edit it, another two more. And there's another one as I preview those changes.

Doesn't anybody here work for a living?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Noooo! They be takin' the flags!!!
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

Godsguy

Postby Godsguy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Flags going down? Has the day ended?
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats - Ken Grahame (Wind in the Willows)

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Doesn't anybody here work for a living?

I'm retired...nothing better to do.

Giallo

Postby Giallo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

New pic. He's taking away a flag. I don't know why, but this makes me kinda sad... :(
"Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”