1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bouer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Maybe they are going to leave.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

He's taking the flag. :( No other changes, sea level constant. Red is removed, green is added.

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:
AussieJono wrote:How about The Age of the Slow Tide?
Yes! Maybe that is a world of less gravity, and the moon can stay at the same distance but move slower in order to keep a roughly circular orbit! Or the moon is just more massive and further away. (If there even is a moon)

A geosynchronous moon would do the trick nicely.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

He looks sad, taking down that flag. Almost like he will never see the castle again. I'm actually crying...
Randall, how do you do these things?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
susanoodin wrote:For some reason I keep expecting a horde or knights or something to come riding at me from the gap in between the two castles
I would love that. Personally, I'm hoping for some really unrelated hilarious ending. People have speculated repeatedly about raptors showing up and tearing everything apart, and if that happened I'm pretty sure every person on this forum would actually here me laugh, no matter where they are located.

If a Timewaiter laughs in the fora and no Outsider hears it, does s/he make a noise?
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

sbkp

Postby sbkp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

Yes, but why that flag?

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

sbkp wrote:Yes, but why that flag?

That was the first sandcastle they built...
EDIT: nvm, it's the second one. D:
Last edited by TheLochNessCheeseBurger on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

Notice, that the flag has still the same shape, so they are definitely made of some solid material. I would guess plastic but people here seem to be more creative in identifying materials.
Last edited by NoMouse on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

sbkp

Postby sbkp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

So the castle is a FIFO?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

[Blind post]

I've been turned into a temporary lurker while I catch up on all the posts. Only about 2000 more to go!

*sigh*

Looks like you guys are having fun there in the future. The post explosion must mean something really cool has been shown. *hopes it's not just a flame war* Oh, yeah, ignorance is bliss. Maybe you wish you were back here in the past with me. lol.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Doesn't anybody here work for a living?

I'm retired...nothing better to do.

Spring break- probably better things to do, but I can't seem to drag myself away for long...
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

edo

Postby edo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

NotAllThere wrote:I've worked it out. The picture will get all distorted. Then it will be normal. Then we'll do the timewarp again...

It was more of a slide to the left than a jump. But if it makes a step to the right, then I'm right there with you.

Ancient Text ב:
Spoiler:
And She realize not how grand Her quest, and what power She holds. Though She starts Her journey as a humble Traveler, the journey itself will give Her the wisdom and the bravery to take the charge that is to come.
Last edited by edo on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:22 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Notice, that the flag has still the same shape, so they are definitely made of some solid material. I would guess plastic but people here seem to be more creative in identifying materials.

I'd say it's wood with Raptor bones on the end, but it might be plastic or marble with Raptor bones.

GingerMuffin

Postby GingerMuffin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

sbkp wrote:

So the castle is a FIFO?

That was actually part of the second castle they built. [or maybe more of an addition?] The first castle they built was knocked down by Cueball when he fell off of the top.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Maybe they only have 6 flags and they want to move this one to another castle. Which turrets get a flag and which don't looks more or less randomly chosen anyway.

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

TheLochNessCheeseBurger wrote:He looks sad, taking down that flag. Almost like he will never see the castle again. I'm actually crying...

Time for the miscarriage shippers to get back to work.

Primis

Postby Primis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

It would seem the end is near, Time is ending. We were fools to think that Time would last forever. There can only be so many newpix apparently. When time ends, I suggest compiling the Cannon into a book for future TimeWatchers.
==============================
Time is now.
We wait for it.
Time will end.
Time will come again.
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

GingerMuffin wrote:
sbkp wrote:

So the castle is a FIFO?

That was actually part of the second castle they built. [or maybe more of an addition?] The first castle they built was knocked down by Cueball when he fell off of the top.

Yeah, I noticed. Still, it's the longest surviving sandcastle (assuming that all of the fortress on the left was build after the one on the right)

TheLochNessCheeseBurger

Postby TheLochNessCheeseBurger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

Well, I'm off to sleep! See you in at least 15 newpix

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

What about the obvious question of the newpix? Where was Cueball between TimeFrames 179 & 184? Out of frame to the left? In the second castle? And what was he doing wherever he was?
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

GingerMuffin

Postby GingerMuffin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

Has anyone noticed how pic 163 and 184 are so similar?
Last edited by GingerMuffin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Reka

Postby Reka » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Primis wrote:When time ends, I suggest compiling the Cannon into a book for future TimeWatchers.

But we never even got any trebuchets, nevermind any cannon!

almitydave

Postby almitydave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

I know this thread is going so fast that only 3 of you will see this but...

I made (yet another) web page that lets you page through the frames. It does not update automatically (but you can add to it). It's not, well, pretty looking. It DOES have a timer so you can play through the comic at whatever pace you desire. The default is 30 seconds per frame, which I think retains a sense of the passage of time as it plays out over 90 minutes or so. To add newer comics to the series, just paste the hash (just the hex part of the image url) into the large text box and click "Update".

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3103882/intarwebz/time.htm

Public domain, have at it. I'm not a web developer, I had to look up half this stuff to do it.
Dave

"If you approach a red light fast enough, it will appear green."

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

I don't even know how many Newpix it's been since I started on page 41 today :shock: but I for one HAVE read all the posts and yes, I'm a lurker out of hiding now :D (tho I could have sworn I already had an account...)

Many internets to Aubron and Primis for the GIF/controllable page!

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

almitydave wrote:I know this thread is going so fast that only 3 of you will see this but...

I made (yet another) web page that lets you page through the frames. It does not update automatically (but you can add to it). It's not, well, pretty looking. It DOES have a timer so you can play through the comic at whatever pace you desire. The default is 30 seconds per frame, which I think retains a sense of the passage of time as it plays out over 90 minutes or so. To add newer comics to the series, just paste the hash (just the hex part of the image url) into the large text box and click "Update".

Public domain, have at it. I'm not a web developer, I had to look up half this stuff to do it.

As one of the 3 people who saw your post, thanks!
Wait for it.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

What I'd like to see someone do is make a repo of all the diffs between each frame.

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

almitydave wrote:I know this thread is going so fast that only 3 of you will see this but...

This is great, if we want we can set the time to 1800 seconds and watch it all over again.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Damn it, when I was just going to ask:
"So how long until somebody sets up a website to play the comic at the original speed?"
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Jellyfish-derp

Postby Jellyfish-derp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Giallo wrote:New pic. He's taking away a flag. I don't know why, but this makes me kinda sad... :(

Maybe there building another castle
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

I am trying very hard not to freak out, but I feel the end of time is coming... what is this emptiness.. please don't go.
Spoiler:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

GingerMuffin

Postby GingerMuffin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Another thing to notice is how the pace of the newpix seems to be changing. Either Cueball and Megan are walking much faster in the last 8 frames, or the amount of time between frames has increased.

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

A once-every-few-pages bump

A bump of the important parts of this thread
Please continue Bumping

Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
Wiki
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

One week for a complete loop sounds right, don't you think? The newpics from now until Monday being about deconstructing the castle. Which can be quite fun, actually.

Or maybe he's not deconstructing it. Maybe he needs a flag for a new part on the left? Maybe he's gonna replace it with something better? Maybe he wants to rebuild this side up ? Maybe I should stop making assumptions and just go to sleep?
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

iLikeSandcastles

Postby iLikeSandcastles » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

(let the guessing games begin)

He has taken the flag because:
a) he's off to conquer a castle on another land
b) he needs something to fight the seagulls destroying the third castle (that is still out of view)
c) he's taking it to another tower on the left-castle
d) none of the above
Last edited by iLikeSandcastles on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ThinkerEmeritus

Postby ThinkerEmeritus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

mscha wrote:He's taking the flag. :( No other changes, sea level constant.

The stretch at the right of the picture isn't water; Cueball walked along the top of it after the "swim."
"An expert is a person who has already made all possible mistakes." -- paraphrase of a statement by Niels Bohr
Seen on a bumper sticker: "My other vehicle is a Krebs cycle".

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

Helper wrote:

Damn it, when I was just going to ask:
"So how long until somebody sets up a website to play the comic at the original speed?"

It's also fun to watch with an interval of 0.0054 seconds.

Jellyfish-derp

Postby Jellyfish-derp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

wurlitzer153 wrote:A once-every-few-pages bump

A bump of the important parts of this thread
Please continue Bumping

Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
Wiki
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

We broke primis's GIF!
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

Lirtosiast

Postby Lirtosiast » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

I think he will heighten the tower, and replace the flag on the top. It doesn't make sense that they would start destroying the castle from the middle.

suicideC

Postby suicideC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

Long-term xkcd fan, never really bothered with the forum; registered here solely for posting on The One True Comic - nothing new so far. :oops:

I'd like to remark, however, how strongly this whole thing remindes me of William Gibson's "Pattern Recognition" and the Fetish:Footage:Forum described therein. An internet-based cult of followers for short film clips... ringing any bells? :)

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

We'll see if he takes down any more flags in 0.0333... newpix.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”