1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

embracethehate

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby embracethehate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:52 am UTC

arjan wrote:
Wildhound wrote:On the other hand, your unwillingness to submit to sleep means that you will still be slumbering tomorrow, many NP after the Brits have risen bright eyed and bushy tailed in order to resume the F5 stomp.

We all have to pay the Sandman eventually.

WE don't. Sandman is not very known around here. Btw, did you ever wonder.. is he really a Sandman? He could very well be a Snowman.

There's no evidence suggesting that he isn't made of ground coffee either.

Cyrano de Maniac

Postby Cyrano de Maniac » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Short time lurker, first time cultist. Pleased to meet you. Or y'all. Or all y'all.

Running the frames of Time through Conway's Game of Life sure is pretty. When the patterns stabilize the structures therein remind me of the illustrations of the filaments, walls, and voids which form the structure of the observable universe. You know -- where Outside becomes The End of Greatness.

johndda

Postby johndda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:We all have to pay the Sandman eventually.

Maybe THAT'S what this castle will turn into! :shock:

A giant monument to the sheer amount of lost sleep this comic has caused.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:54 am UTC

embracethehate wrote:
arjan wrote:
Wildhound wrote:On the other hand, your unwillingness to submit to sleep means that you will still be slumbering tomorrow, many NP after the Brits have risen bright eyed and bushy tailed in order to resume the F5 stomp.

We all have to pay the Sandman eventually.

WE don't. Sandman is not very known around here. Btw, did you ever wonder.. is he really a Sandman? He could very well be a Snowman.

There's no evidence suggesting that he isn't made of ground coffee either.

Or caffeinated semen for that matter.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:55 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:Posting in this thread has definitely slowed down big time.
Unfortunately, yes. Shall we invoke the Newpixians (or the Sheeple, for that matter)?
Emergency caffination may be called for.

With or without semen?

Oh man, I laughed way too hard at that. Just the thought of stumbling across this thread years from now, randomly coming to this page first and seeing that question... that will happen eventually, and they will think you are some weird jerk, but we all know the truth. This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense. Yay for inside jokes.

DAMN, I missed a lot! Semen has become an inside joke???? So yes, I did a search for 1190 semen, and lo and behold .... suddenly it all makes sense.

Strange things happen when a MMONS continues for 4 days/186NPs

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:55 am UTC

Helper wrote:
The Owl wrote:
arjan wrote:I would like this at the end

Spoiler:

just because I posted it first which would make an apostle or something.

A prophet, perhaps? I don't know if it would make you more popular, mind...

On an unrelated note, the slowing post rate could be because the Brits are likely all falling asleep. I suspect I'm in a minority by virtue of being awake.

Don't those guys usually, like, end up stapled to 2 by 4's or something? Seems undesirable.

OH NO YOU DI'IN!

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:56 am UTC

4444!

= infinity according to Google's calculator...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:59 am UTC

Perhaps the two flags will both end up atop a new, larger tower that he'll build in between the two existing castles.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:59 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:He is indeed joining the castles but… where did the flags go?

It looks like the predictions have come to pass!

Operation Connect Castles is underway.

They could have come up with a more imaginative name for it though.

But they didn't, and now, it's on the Wiki.
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:00 am UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:01 am UTC

arjan wrote:I would like this at the end

Spoiler:

just because I posted it first which would make me an apostle or something.

I hate to break it to you but this was posted on page 9 of this thread... yes that's right page 9.... this was BEFORE double digit Newpages!!! BEFORE NEWPIX EVEN EXISTED!!!

applesareforeatingnotcomputing wrote:the new user rules tell me that i can't put a link so you might have to do this yourself. but i think i have a clue.

hint:
Spoiler:
if you go to #1110, go left for about two or three minutes until you hit the sea (can you see where im going with this) then go all the way to the left hand side where it meets the land and you will see...

maybe massive spoiler?
Spoiler:
tiny little sandcastle on the beach, about where they are building it in this comic, the giant statue of liberty sandcastle, then on top of a cliff slightly above is black hair girl from Time, with white ponytail girl. on the beach next to the castle is the guy from this comic shouting "you maniacs! this sand sculpture trophy is meant to be mine!"

therefore, my theory:
Spoiler:
so i reckon at some point theyll finish the sand castle, the other female will turn up and they will build the statue of liberty one? its not as exciting/meaningful as the other theories in this thread, but i guess the way randall has done it has been a nice experiment on time, patience, life ect. shrug. hopefully im wrong.

sorry for the grammar. sorry if you just read that and i turn out to be right.
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:01 am UTC

I'm hoping we'll eventually have to pan up.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Is they building an archway, the structure they is building now is leaning over a bit... Wait, is this the correct use of singular they?

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:03 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:Is they building an archway, the structure they is building now is leaning over a bit... Wait, is this the correct use of singular they?

oh god... more off topic grammar wars... Oh well. its expected by now I guess...

squonk

Postby squonk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:03 am UTC

Has any noticed that the alt text is also changing? The words are the same, but I could swear that the text is a little darker than it used to be.

I am also seeing these strange orbs floating before my eyes. I didn't think that was possible in HTML5?

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:04 am UTC

What is it with Cueball and futzing around with one leetle bitty tower for, like, an eternity? Get on with it, man! Megan would've built the friggin' Washington Monument by now!

Harumph.

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:04 am UTC

squonk wrote:Has any noticed that the alt text is also changing? The words are the same, but I could swear that the text is a little darker than it used to be.

I am also seeing these strange orbs floating before my eyes. I didn't think that was possible in HTML5?

haha... go to sleeeep

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:04 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:Is they building an archway, the structure they is building now is leaning over a bit... Wait, is this the correct use of singular they?

oh god... more off topic grammar wars... Oh well. it's expected by now I guess...

FTFY
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 am UTC

patzer wrote:
KroniK907 wrote:

oh god... more off topic grammar wars... Oh well. it's expected by now I guess...

FTFY

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 am UTC

squonk wrote:Has any noticed that the alt text is also changing? The words are the same, but I could swear that the text is a little darker than it used to be.

That's...that's totally normal.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 am UTC

I'm getting the same thing, except now blood is dribbling out of my nose as well... where is that function in the API?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 am UTC

I don't particularly feel like opening #1110 and dragging all the way to the left. Could someone link/post a screencap/other image of this statue of liberty stuff?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:06 am UTC

You'd be amazed by all the features added in HTML5. But I'm not sure that's one of them. Maybe it's time for you to find a bed? We'll keep you posted, no worries.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

fixer

Postby fixer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:06 am UTC

As it turns out, this month is going to mark a major epoch in my life...and I'm going to end up remembering the Time.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

arjan

Postby arjan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:07 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:I hate to break it to you but this was posted on page 9 of this thread... yes that's right page 9.... this was BEFORE double digit Newpages!!! BEFORE NEWPIX EVEN EXISTED!!!

Damnit.

Lockyy

Postby Lockyy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:08 am UTC

Well now that I'm suitably happy with my script to grab the images, I'll be going to bed now. See you in 24 newpix.

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:08 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I don't particularly feel like opening #1110 and dragging all the way to the left. Could someone link/post a screencap/other image of this statue of liberty stuff?
Attachments
XKCD  Click and Drag.png

WolfieMario

Postby WolfieMario » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 am UTC

Helper wrote:

I'm getting the same thing, except now blood is dribbling out of my nose as well... where is that function in the API?

Forget that; what update makes it possible to increase the volume and pitch of the empty room hum? It's becoming rather deafening now, and I swear the sound looks green with a hint of magenta.
"Sometimes game development isn't about doing what is nice to everyone all the time." - Jens Bergensten

arjan

Postby arjan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:10 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:Brits have risen bright eyed and bushy tailed

So, Google isn't helping me and dictionaries don't have much help either. What's "bushy tailed", literally?

(also: a website with pictures/screencaps of imgur, facebook, etc that's called "thingsworthgoogling.com" where you can submit pictures and the community creates a Wikipage. Just this day I've been Googling for hours for "Coffee Sospeso", "morale in military", "Chartreuse Arch" and many more.)

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:10 am UTC

Helper wrote:

I think that is a hint, Randall wants you to sleep :roll:

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:12 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Helper wrote:

The bastard. I definitely can't let him win now.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:13 am UTC

arjan wrote:
Wildhound wrote:Brits have risen bright eyed and bushy tailed

So, Google isn't helping me and dictionaries don't have much help either. What's "bushy tailed", literally?

(also: a website with pictures/screencaps of imgur, facebook, etc that's called "thingsworthgoogling.com" where you can submit pictures and the community creates a Wikipage. Just this day I've been Googling for hours for "Coffee Sospeso", "morale in military", "Chartreuse Arch" and many more.)

Squirrels!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... y%20tailed
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:15 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Helper wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure the purpose of this comic is to deprive us of sleep until we become zombie slaves.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:17 am UTC

I was thinking: if we use NewPix, do we change our calender to start at frame 1?

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:17 am UTC

Ayriannah wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

That wiki page is getting better every newpix!
I've learned a lot about the importance of small things.

arjan

Postby arjan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:18 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:Squirrels!

Thanks! Maybe the guy rubbing stuff in my eyes is the idiot called Sandman.

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:18 am UTC

The once-every-few-pages bump

A bump of the important parts of this thread
Please continue Bumping

Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
Wiki
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

TessC

Postby TessC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:18 am UTC

Ayriannah wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

Cool.

If they keep recursively building and connecting ever-larger castles, I still like "The Castle of Hanoi." So far, we're on n=2.
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. -- Andy Warhol

The Owl

Postby The Owl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 am UTC

bouer wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
Helper wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure the purpose of this comic is to deprive us of sleep until we become zombie slaves.

Either that, or he's sitting somewhere, feeling guilty for what his comic has done to us.

Yeahhhh, I think the sleep deprivation/impatience is getting to me.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 am UTC

WolfieMario wrote:
Helper wrote:

Forget that; what update makes it possible to increase the volume and pitch of the empty room hum? It's becoming rather deafening now, and I swear the sound looks green with a hint of magenta.

I'm pretty sure all of these features have been available for decades if my memory serves me, long before HTML5 came about.
Maybe undocumented features in the original HTML spec?
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”