1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby 314159 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Bright eyed and bushy tailed just means wide awake and raring to go. It's a squirrel reference.

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Has someone made a chart about productivity drop since the beggining for Time?
:p
I've learned a lot about the importance of small things.
I have been here since the beginning of Time

wud

Postby wud » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:20 am UTC

I'm pretty sure I just saw him move, but its been less than a newpix.

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:21 am UTC

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN EXPLANATION OF THE LAST 4000+ POSTS
WITHOUT HAVING TO READ THEM ALL, PLEASE READ THE WIKI!

I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:22 am UTC

wud wrote:I'm pretty sure I just saw him move, but its been less than a newpix.

You must have good eye's then , i cannot see movement faster than 1-5pixel/newpix

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:23 am UTC

You're right, you might be getting delusional :twisted: ...

EDIT: wow, I'm not in a nice mood, sorry :oops:
Last edited by PinkShinyRose on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

arjan

Postby arjan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:23 am UTC

314159 wrote:Bright eyed and bushy tailed just means wide awake and raring to go. It's a squirrel reference.

Thanks you as well :)

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Zentdayn wrote:Has someone made a chart about productivity drop since the beggining for Time?

I had a biology test earlier and all I could think during it was "shit, this is going to make me miss at least two newpix."

Um, I'm not sure how well I did on it. So Randall may owe me a bachelor's degree?

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:24 am UTC

Suddenly, with no notice, we have fluid 24 fps video :D
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

bulova

Postby bulova » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:25 am UTC

mittfh wrote:Uh oh. I've just had an idea for a filk...

All together now:

# This is the thread that doesn't end,
# Yes it goes on and on my friend.
# Some people started posting here not knowing what it was
# And they'll continue posting here forever just because...

[Repeat ad infinitum]

NOOOOOOO!!!!
Now I've got it stuck in my head.

Postby 314159 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:25 am UTC

A lot of people have made reference to the parts where one character has walked away, or walked past the other silently as being awkward or uncomfortable parts. Is it just me who sees these bits as an indication of how comfortable those two are with each other? You know when you've got a really good friend with whom you don't even need to say anything, and you can even just wander off without any social awkwardness?

Maybe I just view this whole scene in a very happy light...

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 am UTC

embracethehate wrote:
Zentdayn wrote:Has someone made a chart about productivity drop since the beggining for Time?

I had a biology test earlier and all I could think during it was "shit, this is going to make me miss at least two newpix."

Um, I'm not sure how well I did on it. So Randall may owe me a bachelor's degree?

By the end of this, he's going to be facing centuries of prison time for manslaughter charges and trillions of dollars in civil damages.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 am UTC

This has probably already been posted, but I don't see mention of it on the wiki. Thought I'd post it anyway.

AV Club wrote an article about the One Comic. Probably doesn't mean anything...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/check-out-xkcds-epic-multiday-animation-comic,95486/
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:27 am UTC

314159 wrote:A lot of people have made reference to the parts where one character has walked away, or walked past the other silently as being awkward or uncomfortable parts. Is it just me who sees these bits as an indication of how comfortable those two are with each other? You know when you've got a really good friend with whom you don't even need to say anything, and you can even just wander off without any social awkwardness?

That's how I took it as well. I liked that it seemed they could just go about their business without a need to fill the silence.

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:28 am UTC

embracethehate wrote:

haha

Must of us probably have things to do, i should be studying myself.
But this is very funny and unique.
Last edited by Zentdayn on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:30 am UTC

Boo.

TessC

Postby TessC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 am UTC

314159 wrote:A lot of people have made reference to the parts where one character has walked away, or walked past the other silently as being awkward or uncomfortable parts. Is it just me who sees these bits as an indication of how comfortable those two are with each other? You know when you've got a really good friend with whom you don't even need to say anything, and you can even just wander off without any social awkwardness?

So far, we have twice found other parts of the project that were previously offscreen. If they are merely moving offscreen to work on a different part, it seems like it would be normal not to say anything.
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. -- Andy Warhol

arjan

Postby arjan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 am UTC

Whereas first messages got moved to the next page because earlier were approved, it's the other way around now it seems? Lots of messages are being deleted?

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:32 am UTC

No, I think you're right: For the most part, most of the "inferences" people have been making have actually been insight into their own personalities. The people who thought because the girl walked away it must be a sad comic are revealing nothing but that they associate being by themselves with being sad, for some reason. There was never anything in the comic to either support or refute the theory - the comic for most of its run has literally just been nothingness, with bare details, and people have filled in the story based on their own personalities. Maybe that's part of the artist's meaning, I'm not sure, but it has been the most interesting/irritating/confusing part of this whole experience.

TessC wrote:

So far, we have twice found other parts of the project that were previously offscreen. If they are merely moving offscreen to work on a different part, it seems like it would be normal not to say anything.

At one point they said "bye" and "later," so there was definitely a time when they were separated. But then, that time, they didn't part with silence.
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:32 am UTC

Is he picking up the flag?

plumander

Postby plumander » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:32 am UTC

Takes a while to respond to a newpic, hmm?

Edit: Ninja'd
Last edited by plumander on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:33 am UTC

Added some sand. (Green=new, red=old.)

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:35 am UTC

What gets me is how much they're building; not the height or detail, but the coverage. Why are they building over such a large area? Is this some sort of #505-esque hell? Are they being held there with no explanation, with nothing to do other than swim and build sandcastles?
What #505 hell is this?!?

TessC

Postby TessC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:36 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:At one point they said "bye" and "later," so there was definitely a time when they were separated. But then, that time, they didn't part with silence.

Yes, exactly. :)
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. -- Andy Warhol

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:38 am UTC

darthjimmy wrote:AV Club wrote an article about the One Comic. Probably doesn't mean anything...

The AV Club article says:

The AV Club wrote:and, as people did for the first six hours or so, trading images, observations, and theories about developments.

Six hours? Okay, I understand that they must have meant 'twelve newpix', but it's not like the observations and theories have diminished since then.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:38 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
No, I think you're right: For the most part, most of the "inferences" people have been making have actually been insight into their own personalities. The people who thought because the girl walked away it must be a sad comic are revealing nothing but that they associate being by themselves with being sad, for some reason. There was never anything in the comic to either support or refute the theory - the comic for most of its run has literally just been nothingness, with bare details, and people have filled in the story based on their own personalities. Maybe that's part of the artist's meaning, I'm not sure, but it has been the most interesting/irritating/confusing part of this whole experience.

So, it's essentially a three-dimensional Rorschach blot, then. (The third dimension being Time, in this case, of course.)
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:39 am UTC

Aiwendil wrote:
darthjimmy wrote:AV Club wrote an article about the One Comic. Probably doesn't mean anything...

The AV Club wrote:and, as people did for the first six hours or so, trading images, observations, and theories about developments.

Six hours? Okay, I understand that they must have meant 'twelve newpix', but it's not like the observations and theories have diminished since then.

The 4504 posts suggest otherwise; clearly, our collective attention span bottoms out at 12 newpix.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:41 am UTC

Build faster Cueball! If this zooms and pans Megan will have built the largest castle yet in the time that it has taken Cueball to build a measly turret.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:41 am UTC

Aiwendil wrote:

Yeah, obviously they didn't go through the thread since they wrote the article (about 96 newpix ago). A lot has changed since then.
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

At the rate this thread is going, getting with the Time is pretty hard.

But what will come next? Only Time will tell. After all, there's no Time like the present.

Maybe instead of trying to keep caught up I should just post Time puns. That might help the timeframes go faster.

pdg

Postby pdg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Helper wrote:
squonk wrote:Has any noticed that the alt text is also changing? The words are the same, but I could swear that the text is a little darker than it used to be.

I am also seeing these strange orbs floating before my eyes. I didn't think that was possible in HTML5?

I'm getting the same thing, except now blood is dribbling out of my nose as well... where is that function in the API?

May be a bug in (insert browser here)?
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Aiwendil wrote:

The 4504 posts suggest otherwise; clearly, our collective attention span bottoms out at 12 newpix.

Damn straight. I don't know which part of their anatomy they pulled this six—ooo, is that something shiny in the sand there?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 am UTC

bouer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:Posting in this thread has definitely slowed down big time.
Unfortunately, yes. Shall we invoke the Newpixians (or the Sheeple, for that matter)?
Emergency caffination may be called for.

With or without semen?

Oh man, I laughed way too hard at that. Just the thought of stumbling across this thread years from now, randomly coming to this page first and seeing that question... that will happen eventually, and they will think you are some weird jerk, but we all know the truth. This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense. Yay for inside jokes.

DAMN, I missed a lot! Semen has become an inside joke???? So yes, I did a search for 1190 semen, and lo and behold .... suddenly it all makes sense.

Strange things happen when a MMONS continues for 4 days/186NPs

Ummm ... what's a MMONS? :oops:

TessC

Postby TessC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:Build faster Cueball! If this zooms and pans Megan will have built the largest castle yet in the time that it has taken Cueball to build a measly turret.

We know when T0 was for the comic, but not necessarily for the castle. Also, we may encounter other people at some point.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:48 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:

I think whether or not it was the artist's intent, you are exactly right that that is what is happening. I've had clear emotional responses to the various frames and simple story progression that seem to coincide with me, my life, and the relationship I'm currently in. And yet, as you said, there really hasn't been anything major happening (other than some impressive sand-architecture skills). When you watch the whole progression quickly, it doesn't seem to have the same power as it does at every half hour as we try to interpret the new singular moment presented to us. There's something ultimately beautiful about that really--perhaps a life lesson in treasuring each moment. These are STICK FIGURES, for heaven's sakes! They have no faces with emotion to interpret, only a very rough body posture. But by revealing the progression one frame every half hour, we are forced to read so much more into each moment, and a lot of that is more a reading into ourselves than any actual occurrences. Thus half our speculations end up being either wrong or at least neither right not wrong, but they tell a lot about the person that made the speculation.

Did Randall know that this would be the effect? I don't know. He's smart enough and has been known to be profound enough that I wouldn't put it past him, even if he didn't foresee the extent to which we've created something even deeper out of the experience.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:48 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
bouer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:Posting in this thread has definitely slowed down big time.
Unfortunately, yes. Shall we invoke the Newpixians (or the Sheeple, for that matter)?

With or without semen?

Oh man, I laughed way too hard at that. Just the thought of stumbling across this thread years from now, randomly coming to this page first and seeing that question... that will happen eventually, and they will think you are some weird jerk, but we all know the truth. This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense. Yay for inside jokes.

DAMN, I missed a lot! Semen has become an inside joke???? So yes, I did a search for 1190 semen, and lo and behold .... suddenly it all makes sense.

My money is on "Massively Multiplayer Online NonSense".
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:49 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
bouer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

With or without semen?

Can't reprodude its it's something near Massive M Online Nerd Snipping i believe.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:50 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
bouer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

With or without semen?

My money is on "Massively Multiplayer Online NonSense".

MMO Nerd Sniping. Started maybe 80 pages ago or so. I don't have the Time to find it right now...

EDIT: Somewhat Ninja'd... oh well.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

arjan

Postby arjan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:52 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:No, I think you're right: For the most part, most of the "inferences" people have been making have actually been insight into their own personalities.

The "he's having a baby" inference couldn't be further away from me but it did seem valid (i.e. 60% chance) at the time. But I like the theory.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:56 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:

Massive Multiplayer Online Nerd Sniping

The first usage of the term was here (but it was MMPONS, the "p" was omitted later)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”