1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Incognito357

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Incognito357 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:57 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
bouer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:Posting in this thread has definitely slowed down big time.
Unfortunately, yes. Shall we invoke the Newpixians (or the Sheeple, for that matter)?
Emergency caffination may be called for.

With or without semen?

Oh man, I laughed way too hard at that. Just the thought of stumbling across this thread years from now, randomly coming to this page first and seeing that question... that will happen eventually, and they will think you are some weird jerk, but we all know the truth. This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense. Yay for inside jokes.

DAMN, I missed a lot! Semen has become an inside joke???? So yes, I did a search for 1190 semen, and lo and behold .... suddenly it all makes sense.

Strange things happen when a MMONS continues for 4 days/186NPs

Ummm ... what's a MMONS? :oops:

Massively Multiplayer Online Nerd Sniping. *shuffles pages of thread around* here's an illustration:
Incognito357 wrote:
Uninfinity wrote:I'd like to see this comic redone with thought bubbles from the characters echoing some of these forum posts.

Hope I'm not too late:
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

TessC

Postby TessC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Zentdayn wrote:Can't reprodude its it's something near Massive M Online Nerd Snipping i believe.

Ouch! :wink:
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. -- Andy Warhol

arjan

Postby arjan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:59 am UTC

It might not get me prophet status, but a kite? (that's new isn't it? Please?)
EDIT: ok found it..
Last edited by arjan on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:00 am UTC

TessC wrote:
Zentdayn wrote:Can't reprodude its it's something near Massive M Online Nerd Snipping i believe.

Well, I do remember something about cutting off ears at one point...
Last edited by digimuzik on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

Millah

Postby Millah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Can't believe this is still going...
Last edited by Millah on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 am UTC

brenok wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Massive Multiplayer Online Nerd Sniping

The first usage of the term was here (but it was MMPONS, the "p" was omitted later)

Be sure that's in the Wiki!

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:02 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
bouer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:Posting in this thread has definitely slowed down big time.
Unfortunately, yes. Shall we invoke the Newpixians (or the Sheeple, for that matter)?
Emergency caffination may be called for.

With or without semen?

Oh man, I laughed way too hard at that. Just the thought of stumbling across this thread years from now, randomly coming to this page first and seeing that question... that will happen eventually, and they will think you are some weird jerk, but we all know the truth. This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense. Yay for inside jokes.

DAMN, I missed a lot! Semen has become an inside joke???? So yes, I did a search for 1190 semen, and lo and behold .... suddenly it all makes sense.

Strange things happen when a MMONS continues for 4 days/186NPs

Massive Multiplayer Online Nerd Snipe

A joke from one of the first dozen or so pages.

Edit: very ninjad
Last edited by bouer on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:03 am UTC

TessC wrote:

You know Time's effects on people,
I forgot what MMO stands for...
And failed to write proper english.
boom :p
I've learned a lot about the importance of small things.
I have been here since the beginning of Time

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:03 am UTC

*Some sort of Thyme related pun here*
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:04 am UTC

I am glad that he is not destroying the castle.. yay!!

TessC wrote:
Wildhound wrote:Build faster Cueball! If this zooms and pans Megan will have built the largest castle yet in the time that it has taken Cueball to build a measly turret.

We know when T0 was for the comic, but not necessarily for the castle. Also, we may encounter other people at some point.

First, I found your lack of faith on the true beginning of time a little disturbing, but not as disturbing as the speculation on materials/liquids, Also if this happens (other people appearing) can we call them "the others"?
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

TessC

Postby TessC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:04 am UTC

arjan wrote:It might not get me prophet status, but a kite? (that's new isn't it? Please?)
EDIT: ok found it..

In-thread search (huzzah for that!) finds only one previous instance of "kite", way back on page 11.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3302857&hilit=kite#p3302857
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. -- Andy Warhol

shirosuzume

Postby shirosuzume » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 am UTC

I haven't been here in a long time, but was inspired by this comic, and curiosity about what others might be thinking about it...

and now I see that THE MADNESS is coming. I think I'll stick around awhile :).

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:06 am UTC

Reviewing the gif and I stumbled on a revelation. They didn't start building the first castle until AFTER Megan shook building material from her hair. It's not a sand/coffee/semen castle, it's a DANDRUFF Castle.
1298 and counting

TessC

Postby TessC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:07 am UTC

diego5wh wrote:I am glad that he is not destroying the castle.. yay!!

TessC wrote:
Wildhound wrote:Build faster Cueball! If this zooms and pans Megan will have built the largest castle yet in the time that it has taken Cueball to build a measly turret.

We know when T0 was for the comic, but not necessarily for the castle. Also, we may encounter other people at some point.

First, I found your lack of faith on the true beginning of time a little disturbing, but not as disturbing as the speculation on materials/liquids, Also if this happens (other people appearing) can we call them "the others"?

Uh oh. I'm a heretic.

Also, I think The Others is absolutely fitting.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:07 am UTC

But, they're already the Outsiders!

Can they be the Other Outsiders?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:08 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
314159 wrote:A lot of people have made reference to the parts where one character has walked away, or walked past the other silently as being awkward or uncomfortable parts. Is it just me who sees these bits as an indication of how comfortable those two are with each other? You know when you've got a really good friend with whom you don't even need to say anything, and you can even just wander off without any social awkwardness?
Maybe I just view this whole scene in a very happy light...
No, I think you're right: For the most part, most of the "inferences" people have been making have actually been insight into their own personalities. The people who thought because the girl walked away it must be a sad comic are revealing nothing but that they associate being by themselves with being sad, for some reason. There was never anything in the comic to either support or refute the theory - the comic for most of its run has literally just been nothingness, with bare details, and people have filled in the story based on their own personalities. Maybe that's part of the artist's meaning, I'm not sure, but it has been the most interesting/irritating/confusing part of this whole experience.
I think whether or not it was the artist's intent, you are exactly right that that is what is happening. I've had clear emotional responses to the various frames and simple story progression that seem to coincide with me, my life, and the relationship I'm currently in. And yet, as you said, there really hasn't been anything major happening (other than some impressive sand-architecture skills). When you watch the whole progression quickly, it doesn't seem to have the same power as it does at every half hour as we try to interpret the new singular moment presented to us. There's something ultimately beautiful about that really--perhaps a life lesson in treasuring each moment. These are STICK FIGURES, for heaven's sakes! They have no faces with emotion to interpret, only a very rough body posture. But by revealing the progression one frame every half hour, we are forced to read so much more into each moment, and a lot of that is more a reading into ourselves than any actual occurrences. Thus half our speculations end up being either wrong or at least neither right not wrong, but they tell a lot about the person that made the speculation.

Did Randall know that this would be the effect? I don't know. He's smart enough and has been known to be profound enough that I wouldn't put it past him, even if he didn't foresee the extent to which we've created something even deeper out of the experience.

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the newpix of our lives.
(Amazed that I'm pretty sure no one has said that already.)
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:09 am UTC

kryton wrote:Reviewing the gif and I stumbled on a revelation. They didn't start building the first castle until AFTER Megan shook building material from her hair. It's not a sand/coffee/semen castle, it's a DANDRUFF Castle.

Are we to assume then, that before T0 they spent so much time sitting on that knoll that they had shed enough dandruff to build this monument?
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:10 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
kryton wrote:Reviewing the gif and I stumbled on a revelation. They didn't start building the first castle until AFTER Megan shook building material from her hair. It's not a sand/coffee/semen castle, it's a DANDRUFF Castle.

Are we to assume then, that before T0 they spent so much time sitting on that knoll that they had shed enough dandruff to build this monument?

He didn't say it was all THEIR dandruff.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:11 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

How structurally sound would a dandruff castle be anyway? We need data. It's time that we all got together for some real world testing.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:12 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:But, they're already the Outsiders!

Can they be the Other Outsiders?

They are inside the One True Comic. They can't be the Outsiders.
Also, these are not the Outsiders you are looking for.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Millah

Postby Millah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:12 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

How structurally sound would a dandruff castle be anyway? We need data. It's time that we all got together for some real world testing.

how structurally sound would a semen castle be? (i'm not suggesting we get together for real world testing on that one)

squonk

Postby squonk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:13 am UTC

Have we completely given up on hacking the images out? Surely somebody could write a virus that will speed up Randll's computer clock a thousand times or so?

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:14 am UTC

Millah wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

how structurally sound would a semen castle be? (i'm not suggesting we get together for real world testing on that one)

Perhaps it occurs in between newpix? We just got lucky to see one mid-pix, Much happens in the perfect world between our brief glimpses?
Last edited by kryton on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
1298 and counting

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:14 am UTC

Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:14 am UTC

Millah wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

Wait... How many of us are women? If it's a large proportion then I am prepared to get together and test either hypothesis.

Millah

Postby Millah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:15 am UTC

squonk wrote:Have we completely given up on hacking the images out? Surely somebody could write a virus that will speed up Randll's computer clock a thousand times or so?

You're assuming all the files are on the server already.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:15 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

/thread.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:17 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

Remind me not to show up to that research project... *shudders*
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:18 am UTC

squonk wrote:Have we completely given up on hacking the images out? Surely somebody could write a virus that will speed up Randll's computer clock a thousand times or so?

If this had been a .gif to start with, or if it had been hacked/spoiled, most of us would've moved on by now. With a half hour of thought between each subtle change, we have a lot of time to think about it and about ourselves. It's managed to gather and unite a large(ish) collection of people, most of whom had never posted on this forum before, just by making us wait and giving us Time.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:19 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

Remind me not to show up to that research project... *shudders*

Where is the "like" button?
1298 and counting

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:19 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

If this had been a .gif to start with, or if it had been hacked/spoiled, most of us would've moved on by now. With a half hour of thought between each subtle change, we have a lot of time to think about it and about ourselves. It's managed to gather and unite a large(ish) collection of people, most of whom had never posted on this forum before, just by making us wait and giving us Time.

Well-put. I'm very glad this wasn't spoiled.

deadpool809

Postby deadpool809 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:20 am UTC

I am wondering - the general assumption seems to be that Megan built the entire castle which was revealed after the pan-back.

But Cueball left first, and was gone for a while before she did.

Who is to say that he didn't start the second castle? Just because he said "Bye" doesn't mean he left the beach altogether. Maybe he was just letting her know that he was going "over there" for a bit.

eternicode

Postby eternicode » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:21 am UTC

Bumping the IRC info...

zachbarnett wrote:We are talking about this comic via IRC.
Join us.

#xkcd-time on irc.foonetic.net.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:22 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Well-put. I'm very glad this wasn't spoiled.

Agreed. I found that I lost interest in Click and Drag much more quickly than I ought to have because the zoom versions sucked the magic out of it. And I just couldn't resist.

WolfieMario

Postby WolfieMario » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:22 am UTC

Millah wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

How structurally sound would a semen-and-dandruff castle be? Sand castles typically require a solid and liquid component anyhow.

...I think I'll just go back to figuring out how Randall got this to keep playing in my room even after I unplugged my speakers and bashed them in with an iron pipe. Some of these HTML5 features feel rather unnecessary.
"Sometimes game development isn't about doing what is nice to everyone all the time." - Jens Bergensten

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:23 am UTC

deadpool809 wrote:I am wondering - the general assumption seems to be that Megan built the entire castle which was revealed after the pan-back.

But Cueball left first, and was gone for a while before she did.

Who is to say that he didn't start the second castle? Just because he said "Bye" doesn't mean he left the beach altogether. Maybe he was just letting her know that he was going "over there" for a bit.

And after it finished panning/zooming to reveal both castles, he was working on the second castle with her. So for the frames during the pan/zoom, he was most likely helping her.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Millah

Postby Millah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:23 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

It is interesting how many of the active posters in this thread have joined in the last few days, especially since there is no link to the forums from xkcd.com anymore.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
Millah wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

Wait... How many of us are women? If it's a large proportion then I am prepared to get together and test either hypothesis.

Me! Me! I'm a woman! And I didn't even have to fight for the right to be one - I already am! Yay us! ... wait, what did I just volunteer for? And will it be gross? (please?) :twisted:

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:25 am UTC

Millah wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

It is interesting how many of the active posters in this thread have joined in the last few days, especially since there is no link to the forums from xkcd.com anymore.

I suspect many, if not all of them, were already aware of the forums and lurking. Time was just a catalyst to get involved.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 am UTC

Whatever happened to the guy who was processing all the zoom-ey pictures into a high-res version of the sand castle?

I think I want it as a wallpaper when all this is done.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”