1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

diego5wh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby diego5wh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
squonk wrote:Have we completely given up on hacking the images out? Surely somebody could write a virus that will speed up Randll's computer clock a thousand times or so?

If this had been a .gif to start with, or if it had been hacked/spoiled, most of us would've moved on by now. With a half hour of thought between each subtle change, we have a lot of time to think about it and about ourselves. It's managed to gather and unite a large(ish) collection of people, most of whom had never posted on this forum before, just by making us wait and giving us Time.

Well-put. I'm very glad this wasn't spoiled.

I have never felt so connected to random strangers people on the internet. Is like I know you all... and yet I know so little, also (and keep in mind there is no way I am going to read all this tread ever) is there a name given for people who worship our Lord and believe in the ONE TRUE COMIC? I know how to call those who haven't experience yet the magic of the sandcastle (the outsiders) but what about us, what is, as members of this group, our denomination?.
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

squonk

Postby squonk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 am UTC

Millah wrote:
squonk wrote:Have we completely given up on hacking the images out? Surely somebody could write a virus that will speed up Randll's computer clock a thousand times or so?

You're assuming all the files are on the server already.

No, I'm asuming that they are on Randall's computer, and that he's not drawing each frame on the fly.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
deadpool809 wrote:I am wondering - the general assumption seems to be that Megan built the entire castle which was revealed after the pan-back.

But Cueball left first, and was gone for a while before she did.

Who is to say that he didn't start the second castle? Just because he said "Bye" doesn't mean he left the beach altogether. Maybe he was just letting her know that he was going "over there" for a bit.

And after it finished panning/zooming to reveal both castles, he was working on the second castle with her. So for the frames during the pan/zoom, he was most likely helping her.

That's not the time period in question. He said bye, left for a while, returned, and it was after he had returned that the zoom occurred. It was after he said bye and before he returned that is being questioned. But he certainly left - the castles are right next to each other*, he would not have said bye and she would not have said later if that's where he was going.

* - in anticipation of someone arguing that the castles might not be right next to each other because of scale or something, I say, nothing at all like that has happened so far, and I don't think that kind of trickery fits with the tone of the comic thus far. It's the same reason it made no sense to believe the water was anything other than water - at no point has the scene been revealed to be anything other than exactly what it looks like.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:28 am UTC

diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

If this had been a .gif to start with, or if it had been hacked/spoiled, most of us would've moved on by now. With a half hour of thought between each subtle change, we have a lot of time to think about it and about ourselves. It's managed to gather and unite a large(ish) collection of people, most of whom had never posted on this forum before, just by making us wait and giving us Time.

I have never felt so connected to random strangers people on the internet. Is like I know you all... and yet I know so little, also (and keep in mind there is no way I am going to read all this tread ever) is there a name given for people who worship our Lord and believe in the ONE TRUE COMIC? I know how to call those who haven't experience yet the magic of the sandcastle (the outsiders) but what about us, what is, as members of this group, our denomination?.

The TimeKeepers.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:28 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
kryton wrote:Reviewing the gif and I stumbled on a revelation. They didn't start building the first castle until AFTER Megan shook building material from her hair. It's not a sand/coffee/semen castle, it's a DANDRUFF Castle.

Are we to assume then, that before T0 they spent so much time sitting on that knoll that they had shed enough dandruff to build this monument?

He didn't say it was all THEIR dandruff.

How structurally sound would a dandruff castle be anyway? We need data. It's time that we all got together for some real world testing.

But how would you ensure the data is consistent? Surely dandruff varies from person to person. I proprose an acetone purification followed by a water rinse. ...is dandruff soluble in acetone?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:28 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:Agreed. I found that I lost interest in Click and Drag much more quickly than I ought to have because the zoom versions sucked the magic out of it. And I just couldn't resist.

I find myself in the opposite situation. I work so goddamn much these days that what would normally be a fun time sap can leave me with no time to get done things that I need to do. So when I see something that's really cool but really, really extensive... I might just go "oh that's a neat thing to check out some time when I have more time" and forget it. If there's a quick way of exploring it, I'll spend a (reasonable) bit of time doing so, and get much more out of it than I would just putting it on an ephemeral to-do list never to be seen again.

If it weren't for the likes of Aubron Wood and such here, I wouldn't be able to follow this comic at all. I already can't follow this thread properly.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:28 am UTC

deadpool809 wrote:I am wondering - the general assumption seems to be that Megan built the entire castle which was revealed after the pan-back.

Who is to say that he didn't start the second castle? Just because he said "Bye" doesn't mean he left the beach altogether. Maybe he was just letting her know that he was going "over there" for a bit.

Given his building speed (or rather, utter lack thereof) in the scenes where we do see him at work, I say it's highly unlikely that the second castle is Cueball's work. I think the "later/bye" scene contrasted with Megan just disappearing without so much as a word means exactly what it seems to mean: when Cueball left, he actually left, but when Megan "left", she just moved a few feet further inland... and proceeded to build another castle, at approximately the same speed as we had just seen her construct the first one.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:28 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

Why not the Time Lords?

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:29 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Millah wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
kryton wrote:Reviewing the gif and I stumbled on a revelation. They didn't start building the first castle until AFTER Megan shook building material from her hair. It's not a sand/coffee/semen castle, it's a DANDRUFF Castle.

Are we to assume then, that before T0 they spent so much time sitting on that knoll that they had shed enough dandruff to build this monument?

How structurally sound would a dandruff castle be anyway? We need data. It's time that we all got together for some real world testing.

how structurally sound would a semen castle be? (i'm not suggesting we get together for real world testing on that one)

Wait... How many of us are women? If it's a large proportion then I am prepared to get together and test either hypothesis.

Me! Me! I'm a woman! And I didn't even have to fight for the right to be one - I already am! Yay us! ... wait, what did I just volunteer for? And will it be gross? (please?) :twisted:

In this case, gross is just a matter of perception.

But yes, it will be very, very gross.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:30 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

Why not the Time Lords?

Because surely Randall is the Time Lord? We are merely keeping watch.

Jellyfish-derp

Postby Jellyfish-derp » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:30 am UTC

I don't think even Randall The Great would have suspected 113 pages of talk on the subject!!
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:30 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Agreed. I found that I lost interest in Click and Drag much more quickly than I ought to have because the zoom versions sucked the magic out of it. And I just couldn't resist.

Yup.
#Forum Users:
Before Time:500
After Time: 500xnewpix^2

Average Post Count
Before Time: 20
After Time: a lot

Amount of Madness:
Before Time: Normal
After Time: ??? ( we all know there is nothing after the end of Time)
During Time: So big 64bits just ain't enough

( Value are examples they are not real)
I've learned a lot about the importance of small things.
I have been here since the beginning of Time

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:30 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

Why not the Time Lords?

Because surely Randall is the Time Lord? We are merely keeping watch.

Good point. Well, the Time Keepers has my vote then.
Or the TimeKeepers as standards dictate...

Millah

Postby Millah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:31 am UTC

eternicode

Postby eternicode » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:32 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

Why not the Time Lords?

There is only one Time Lord.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:32 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

But how would you ensure the data is consistent? Surely dandruff varies from person to person. I proprose an acetone purification followed by a water rinse. ...is dandruff soluble in acetone?

I believe not. If acetone dissolved flesh, nail polish remover would be an altogether more frightening prospect.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:33 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

I thought it was “TimeWaiters”.
By the way, why are we using CamelCase? Why not “Time Waiters”?
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

TessC

Postby TessC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Zentdayn wrote:
TessC wrote:
Zentdayn wrote:Can't reprodude its it's something near Massive M Online Nerd Snipping i believe.

Ouch! :wink:

You know Time's effects on people,
I forgot what MMO stands for...
And failed to write proper english.
boom :p

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I just thought "sniping" to "snipping" was a funny typo in context. :)
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. -- Andy Warhol

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Reka wrote:What is it with Cueball and futzing around with one leetle bitty tower for, like, an eternity? Get on with it, man! Megan would've built the friggin' Washington Monument by now!

Harumph.

I find I have to repeat myself. C'mon, Megan, come back, we need you! Compared to Cueball, a snail is a racecar!

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Zentdayn wrote:( Value are examples they are not real)

I had my suspicions at the value "So big 64bits just ain't enough"...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

deadpool809

Postby deadpool809 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

And after it finished panning/zooming to reveal both castles, he was working on the second castle with her. So for the frames during the pan/zoom, he was most likely helping her.

That's not the time period in question. He said bye, left for a while, returned, and it was after he had returned that the zoom occurred. It was after he said bye and before he returned that is being questioned. But he certainly left - the castles are right next to each other*, he would not have said bye and she would not have said later if that's where he was going.

* - in anticipation of someone arguing that the castles might not be right next to each other because of scale or something, I say, nothing at all like that has happened so far, and I don't think that kind of trickery fits with the tone of the comic thus far. It's the same reason it made no sense to believe the water was anything other than water - at no point has the scene been revealed to be anything other than exactly what it looks like.

I have to say, I disagree. I can think of dozens of times I was with my girlfriend at the beach, at a party ... ANYWHERE ... and I would say "Later!" when I was going a short distance away. Once the second castle began, a reason was established for her to go to that location later, so her walking over there wasn't something that would require any explanation. "Later" is a lot easier to dialogue in a strip like this than "Hey, I am going over there to build a new castle."

I don't think he built it all himself, but I think there is a good case to be made that he started it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:35 am UTC

Hm. Perhaps he's not building a large central tower after all. Doesn't seem like it, from the different levels of the castle on each side.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:35 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

I thought it was “TimeWaiters”.
By the way, why are we using CamelCase? Why not “Time Waiters”?

Oops... Probably because I've written FarTooMuchJava this week.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:35 am UTC

You are confusing Camel case with Pascal case. Camel case words begin with a lowercase letter: timeKeepers. Pascal case is where each word of a compound word is capitalized: TimeKeepers.

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:36 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Zentdayn wrote:( Value are examples they are not real)

I had my suspicions at the value "So big 64bits just ain't enough"...

Gezz just trying to make a point :3
Last edited by Zentdayn on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned a lot about the importance of small things.
I have been here since the beginning of Time

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:36 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:I believe not. If acetone dissolved flesh, nail polish remover would be an altogether more frightening prospect.

Although it would destroy the market for plastic surgery. Or revolutionalize it, depend on how you look at it.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:38 am UTC

deadpool809 wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

I have to say, I disagree. I can think of dozens of times I was with my girlfriend at the beach, at a party ... ANYWHERE ... and I would say "Later!" when I was going a short distance away.

This is not the same as saying bye to her when you are at but not leaving a party. It's more like you're sitting in a sofa with her watching TV and then say "later!" as you go to sit on the chair right next to the sofa for a while. There are no other people around - saying bye when you're still standing basically right next to the person would be weird.

Again, as with pretty much everything else about the comic, I'm pretty sure the most obvious line of reasoning is the correct one.

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:38 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Wildhound wrote:Agreed. I found that I lost interest in Click and Drag much more quickly than I ought to have because the zoom versions sucked the magic out of it. And I just couldn't resist.

I find myself in the opposite situation. I work so goddamn much these days that what would normally be a fun time sap can leave me with no time to get done things that I need to do. So when I see something that's really cool but really, really extensive... I might just go "oh that's a neat thing to check out some time when I have more time" and forget it. If there's a quick way of exploring it, I'll spend a (reasonable) bit of time doing so, and get much more out of it than I would just putting it on an ephemeral to-do list never to be seen again.

If it weren't for the likes of Aubron Wood and such here, I wouldn't be able to follow this comic at all. I already can't follow this thread properly.

wait like a week and get a whole bunch of gif'd newpix fix... I am loving coming back at sporadic periods, seeing an advancement, then looking at the picks inbetween to fill in the gaps.

on a side note, if next weeks what if isn't 'what if time doesn't end' and consider the engineering hours lost through lack of sleep i will be quite disappointed.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:39 am UTC

diego5wh wrote:I have never felt so connected to random strangers people on the internet.

I think, after the last 4500+ posts here, you're really pretty safe in calling us "stranger".
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:39 am UTC

WolfieMario wrote:
Millah wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

how structurally sound would a semen castle be? (i'm not suggesting we get together for real world testing on that one)

How structurally sound would a semen-and-dandruff castle be? Sand castles typically require a solid and liquid component anyhow.

...I think I'll just go back to figuring out how Randall got this to keep playing in my room even after I unplugged my speakers and bashed them in with an iron pipe. Some of these HTML5 features feel rather unnecessary.

Everybody must listen to this as we await the next newpix. I declare it part of the religion of the Usserisses.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

No no! The Usserisses! Like, it's Us, and ... and .... hmmmm nevermind

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:43 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Millah wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

Wait... How many of us are women? If it's a large proportion then I am prepared to get together and test either hypothesis.

Me! Me! I'm a woman! And I didn't even have to fight for the right to be one - I already am! Yay us! ... wait, what did I just volunteer for? And will it be gross? (please?) :twisted:

Sounds like a good way for some of us 'the timeWaiters' to gather and celebrate the end of TIME.
1298 and counting

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:43 am UTC

I just attempted to explain Time (and xkcd in general) to my friend and why I've been so preoccupied with it.

His response was "cool. I mean really strange, but cool."

I've decided to just stay here in the forum where people understand.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:44 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:You are confusing Camel case with Pascal case. Camel case words begin with a lowercase letter: timeKeepers. Pascal case is where each word of a compound word is capitalized: TimeKeepers.

Actually, they can also be called upperCamelCase and LowerCamelCase (examples not representative). But I thought that was a minor detail given we all have a single convention for ClassNames… right?
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:44 am UTC

embracethehate wrote:I just attempted to explain Time (and xkcd in general) to my friend and why I've been so preoccupied with it.

Happened to me as well, earlier today. We're a unique bunch.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:45 am UTC

embracethehate wrote:I just attempted to explain Time (and xkcd in general) to my friend and why I've been so preoccupied with it.

That dirty bastard. I'm not saying you should kill him in his sleep, but... uh, yeah, you know... something to think on.

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Zentdayn wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Agreed. I found that I lost interest in Click and Drag much more quickly than I ought to have because the zoom versions sucked the magic out of it. And I just couldn't resist.

Yup.
#Forum Users:
Before Time:500
After Time: 500xnewpix^2

Average Post Count
Before Time: 20
After Time: a lot

Amount of Madness:
Before Time: Normal
After Time: ??? ( we all know there is nothing after the end of Time)
During Time: So big 64bits just ain't enough

( Value are examples they are not real)

I was curious earlier today, so I checked. As of when I counted, there were 1850 new users since Monday. Some of them are now over 100 posts.

WolfieMario

Postby WolfieMario » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:46 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:You are confusing Camel case with Pascal case. Camel case words begin with a lowercase letter: timeKeepers. Pascal case is where each word of a compound word is capitalized: TimeKeepers.

I've always known the difference as lowerCamelCase and UpperCamelCase.
"Sometimes game development isn't about doing what is nice to everyone all the time." - Jens Bergensten

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:46 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Just wanna point out: He never said "Bye", he said "Later". She's the one that said "Bye"
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Hawb

Postby Hawb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:47 am UTC

Xentropy wrote:
Primis wrote:Live updating GIF:
Feel free to give me an internet for the service :D

You've received something like 160 internets in the past couple of hours thanks to this. Nice job!

I have one suggestion/twerk for it, though. Add a start frame (just the word BEGIN or something) so we can see when the loop is starting over more clearly. Sometimes the most recent frame is really similar to the start frames and it's hard to tell.

Can someone explain what's happening in this very fast gif? Did one of you add the little ending there?

Edit: Nevermind just opened on gimp, I'm an idiot and I missed the dialogue is all. It looked to me like the gif ended with that because it went so fast.
Last edited by Hawb on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”