1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bouer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:47 am UTC

embracethehate wrote:I just attempted to explain Time (and xkcd in general) to my friend and why I've been so preoccupied with it.

His response was "cool. I mean really strange, but cool."

I've decided to just stay here in the forum where people understand.

I actually have no idea why I've spent most of the last 190 newpix either looking at a virtual sandcastle or discussing it.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:48 am UTC

bouer wrote:I actually have no idea why I've spent most of the last 190 newpix either looking at a virtual sandcastle or discussing it.

The unexamined life is not worth living, indeed, eh? :lol:
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:50 am UTC

bouer wrote:
embracethehate wrote:I just attempted to explain Time (and xkcd in general) to my friend and why I've been so preoccupied with it.

I actually have no idea why I've spent most of the last 190 newpix either looking at a virtual sandcastle or discussing it.

I certainly know why I have spend the last 16 newpix doing so. Because it's 2:49 am and I'm still at fracking work!
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:50 am UTC

Helper wrote:
bouer wrote:I actually have no idea why I've spent most of the last 190 newpix either looking at a virtual sandcastle or discussing it.

I don't have time to examine every aspect of my life right now. Sandcastle!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:50 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
squonk wrote:Have we completely given up on hacking the images out? Surely somebody could write a virus that will speed up Randll's computer clock a thousand times or so?

If this had been a .gif to start with, or if it had been hacked/spoiled, most of us would've moved on by now. With a half hour of thought between each subtle change, we have a lot of time to think about it and about ourselves. It's managed to gather and unite a large(ish) collection of people, most of whom had never posted on this forum before, just by making us wait and giving us Time.

Well-put. I'm very glad this wasn't spoiled.

I have never felt so connected to random strangers people on the internet. Is like I know you all... and yet I know so little, also (and keep in mind there is no way I am going to read all this tread ever) is there a name given for people who worship our Lord and believe in the ONE TRUE COMIC? I know how to call those who haven't experience yet the magic of the sandcastle (the outsiders) but what about us, what is, as members of this group, our denomination?.

The TimeKeepers.

No no! The Usserisses! Like, it's Us, and ... and .... hmmmm nevermind

My vote is TimeWaiters (since I realized that Usserisses is really kinda stupid). :oops:
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Yes. Thank you for this.....I hope you don't mind if I use this in my signature.
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 am UTC

Hawb wrote:
Xentropy wrote:
Primis wrote:Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:

Feel free to give me an internet for the service :D

You've received something like 160 internets in the past couple of hours thanks to this. Nice job!

I have one suggestion/twerk for it, though. Add a start frame (just the word BEGIN or something) so we can see when the loop is starting over more clearly. Sometimes the most recent frame is really similar to the start frames and it's hard to tell.

Can someone explain what's happening in this very fast gif? Did one of you add the little ending there?

It used to be at a much slower pace. There is another version I will bump momentarily that is more configurable.

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 am UTC

Helper wrote:

That dirty bastard. I'm not saying you should kill him in his sleep, but... uh, yeah, you know... something to think on.

Yeah, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but I've kind of run out of options...

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:52 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
squonk wrote:Have we completely given up on hacking the images out? Surely somebody could write a virus that will speed up Randll's computer clock a thousand times or so?

If this had been a .gif to start with, or if it had been hacked/spoiled, most of us would've moved on by now. With a half hour of thought between each subtle change, we have a lot of time to think about it and about ourselves. It's managed to gather and unite a large(ish) collection of people, most of whom had never posted on this forum before, just by making us wait and giving us Time.

I have never felt so connected to random strangers people on the internet. Is like I know you all... and yet I know so little, also (and keep in mind there is no way I am going to read all this tread ever) is there a name given for people who worship our Lord and believe in the ONE TRUE COMIC? I know how to call those who haven't experience yet the magic of the sandcastle (the outsiders) but what about us, what is, as members of this group, our denomination?.

The TimeKeepers.

Ok I feel like we HAVE TO sort the name out so i created a straw poll http://strawpoll.me/12590
I added strangers because of what KarMann said, it just seems fitting (IMO), hopefully I didn't forget any other suggestion discussed before (because you know this tread is massive)
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:52 am UTC

The once-every-few-pages bump

A bump of the important parts of this thread
Please continue Bumping

Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
Wiki
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:52 am UTC

I know that last time resulted in Castle 2, but it makes me slightly sad when Cueball is building by himself without Megan.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:52 am UTC

The tide is beginning to rise, guys. Very slowly, but it's happening. It makes another change between 189 and 190.

pdg

Postby pdg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
Millah wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

It is interesting how many of the active posters in this thread have joined in the last few days, especially since there is no link to the forums from xkcd.com anymore.

I suspect many, if not all of them, were already aware of the forums and lurking. Time was just a catalyst to get involved.

I found the forums because I wanted to see if anyone else had figured out what was going on; I'd guessed the image was going to update, but figured it was an animated GIF of maybe two frames and a really long delay. This was early on Monday. I believe I searched The Google for "explain xkcd time" and found links to here and the explainxkcd wiki. The wiki was throwing 500 error codes so I ended up here, and after a day or two was compelled to join in the insanity.
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 am UTC

diego5wh wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

Ok I feel like we HAVE TO sort the name out so i created a straw poll http://strawpoll.me/12590
I added strangers because of what KarMann said, it just seems fitting (IMO), hopefully I didn't forget any other suggestion discussed before (because you know this tread is massive)

Time watchers?
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 am UTC

bouer wrote:
Helper wrote:

I think I'm just going to use "sandcastle" as my excuse to avoid doing things until this is over.
"hey, can you-"
"Sorry, can't. Sandcastle."

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:55 am UTC

The thing to remember about the xkcd Time thread is that there are two main groups: the Time Waiters, who have built an entire culture centered on the comic, and the Discussers, also known as Suggestionalists, who treat the former as off-topic conversation and focus on suggestions of what is, has, and will happen. The Time Waiters have endured several schisms over their units of time, newpix or newpic or newpices, with another faction advocating timeframes. There is also a larger debate over the materials pictured in Time, with two main sides advocating for sand or snow, while smaller groups believe that coffee, lava, bacon or even more exotic substances are depicted.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

Zentdayn

Postby Zentdayn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:57 am UTC

jello34543 wrote:
Zentdayn wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Agreed. I found that I lost interest in Click and Drag much more quickly than I ought to have because the zoom versions sucked the magic out of it. And I just couldn't resist.

Yup.
#Forum Users:
Before Time:500
After Time: 500xnewpix^2

Average Post Count
Before Time: 20
After Time: a lot

Amount of Madness:
Before Time: Normal
After Time: ??? ( we all know there is nothing after the end of Time)
During Time: So big 64bits just ain't enough

( Value are examples they are not real)

I was curious earlier today, so I checked. As of when I counted, there were 1850 new users since Monday. Some of them are now over 100 posts.

Nice one for checking that on monday.
Wow...
That's like ... a lot.
I wonder if Randall was expecting this to become such a MMONS.
I've learned a lot about the importance of small things.
I have been here since the beginning of Time

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:57 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:You are confusing Camel case with Pascal case. Camel case words begin with a lowercase letter: timeKeepers. Pascal case is where each word of a compound word is capitalized: TimeKeepers.

Actually, they can also be called upperCamelCase and LowerCamelCase (examples not representative). But I thought that was a minor detail given we all have a single convention for ClassNames… right?

Huh, I never heard that before. Wikipedia uses your naming conventions, Microsoft's font settings use what I said. How 'bout that.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 71%29.aspx
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

I thought it was “TimeWaiters”.
By the way, why are we using CamelCase? Why not “Time Waiters”?

It was indeed TimeWaiters, and later TimeWatchers, because TimeWaiters sounds too much like a job in the restaurant industry :P
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

Time watchers?

No no no. Cuz we were told to WAIT for it, 'member? So we're the Time-Waiters. See? Like, we're waiting for it...... so.....

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 am UTC

Umm.. several newpix ago, I made the Initiates of Time wiki page, so that's my vote...
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 am UTC

I retract my earlier statements in support of "Time Keepers" or a CamelCase version thereof. I had forgotten that the title of Time Waiters had already been established, and indeed might be more appropriate. Given that we are meant to Wait for it.

Of course, we could distinguish between those watchers of the Religion and those who are merely watching.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 am UTC

embracethehate wrote:
bouer wrote:
Helper wrote:

I think I'm just going to use "sandcastle" as my excuse to avoid doing things until this is over.
"hey, can you-"
"Sorry, can't. Sandcastle."

So you're saying I have an excuse to do nothing until the end of Time?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:59 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:You are confusing Camel case with Pascal case. Camel case words begin with a lowercase letter: timeKeepers. Pascal case is where each word of a compound word is capitalized: TimeKeepers.

Actually, they can also be called upperCamelCase and LowerCamelCase (examples not representative). But I thought that was a minor detail given we all have a single convention for ClassNames… right?

Huh, I never heard that before. Wikipedia uses your naming conventions, Microsoft's font settings use what I said. How 'bout that.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 71%29.aspx

I'd say the One True Universal Wiki is a more reliable source.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 am UTC

diego5wh wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

Apparently you must add Time Watchers to the poll...

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:01 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
diego5wh wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The TimeKeepers.

Time watchers?

No no no. Cuz we were told to WAIT for it, 'member? So we're the Time-Waiters. See? Like, we're waiting for it...... so.....

But, don't we watch Time unfold before our eyes while we wait for It?

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

SuperCow

Postby SuperCow » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Millah wrote:It is interesting how many of the active posters in this thread have joined in the last few days, especially since there is no link to the forums from xkcd.com anymore.

Side question: does anyone know why the link to forums.xkcd.com was removed from the main page?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:02 am UTC

SuperCow wrote:
Millah wrote:It is interesting how many of the active posters in this thread have joined in the last few days, especially since there is no link to the forums from xkcd.com anymore.

Side question: does anyone know why the link to forums.xkcd.com was removed from the main page?

What-If.
By the way: was there a new What-If after the beginning of Time?
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:03 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I retract my earlier statements in support of "Time Keepers" or a CamelCase version thereof. I had forgotten that the title of Time Waiters had already been established, and indeed might be more appropriate. Given that we are meant to Wait for it.

Of course, we could distinguish between those watchers of the Religion and those who are merely watching.

Blaspheme!!! ONLY RANDALL is the one true Time Keeper!!! Shun the non believer!!!
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:03 am UTC

SuperCow wrote:

long ago conversation; it was removed to make way for the What If? link
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Cueball seems to be carefully unsculpting a crater of some sort. Maybe we're actually watching Time happen in reverse, catalyzed by the appearance of two beings for whom Time flows backwards. While it appears they're building it, they're actually just standing around while it unerodes.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Lucia wrote:even more exotic substances

It's okay; it's 2013; it's okay to say it. "Semen." Or, rather: "Caffeinated semen."
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:If it weren't for the likes of Aubron Wood and such here, I wouldn't be able to follow this comic at all. I already can't follow this thread properly.

No one can follow this thread properly. That's part of the fun.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 am UTC

Wow..I've been gone for almost 12NP. How long has be been building by himself? I still fervently believe (as any religious zealot should) that Time is about Cueball and Megan. If Megan has been out of the Time Frame for that long, it can't be good.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:07 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Wow..I've been gone for almost 12NP. How long has be been building by himself? I still fervently believe (as any religious zealot should) that Time is about Cueball and Megan. If Megan has been out of the Time Frame for that long, it can't be good.

I refute this claim. Time is the story of the sand castle(s). Megan and Cueball are merely the exposition into the extensive but slow-paced saga of the creation and perhaps ultimate destruction of the Sand Castle.

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:07 am UTC

Lucia wrote:The thing to remember about the xkcd Time thread is that there are two main groups: the Time Waiters, who have built an entire culture centered on the comic, and the Discussers, also known as Suggestionalists, who treat the former as off-topic conversation and focus on suggestions of what is, has, and will happen. The Time Waiters have endured several schisms over their units of time, newpix or newpic or newpices, with another faction advocating timeframes. There is also a larger debate over the materials pictured in Time, with two main sides advocating for sand or snow, while smaller groups believe that coffee, lava, bacon or even more exotic substances are depicted.

Would the intersection of the sets be the "time waiting discussers" ?
1298 and counting

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:08 am UTC

jello34543 wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:If it weren't for the likes of Aubron Wood and such here, I wouldn't be able to follow this comic at all. I already can't follow this thread properly.

No one can follow this thread properly. That's part of the fun.

I have read every single post. It is perfectly possible to follow the thread properly, just not possible to do anything else properly while doing so.

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:08 am UTC

Ayriannah wrote:Umm.. several newpix ago, I made the Initiates of Time wiki page, so that's my vote...

Added to the glossary
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Wow..I've been gone for almost 12NP. How long has be been building by himself? I still fervently believe (as any religious zealot should) that Time is about Cueball and Megan. If Megan has been out of the Time Frame for that long, it can't be good.

I refute this claim. Time is the story of the sand castle(s). Megan and Cueball are merely the exposition into the extensive but slow-paced saga of the creation and perhaps ultimate destruction of the Sand Castle.

Time is whatever Lord Randall wants it to be. All we can do is speculate about its meaning.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”